My theory about latest content patches...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Erebus Delirium.4892

Erebus Delirium.4892

Have you ever noticed how many GW2 bugs are considered “really tough to fix” and how even the most seemingly simple bugs remain unchanged?

Have you noticed how class changes are mostly just number and on/off toggle switches? There are virtually no mechanics changes.

Have you noticed how the game engine has received practically zero underlying improvements since launch? Issues such as skills working unpredictably, line of sight quirks and entity rendering/culling continue to remain unimproved.

I have, and I also have a theory as to why: The game’s original senior developers and programmers are not working on Guild Wars 2 any more; they’re probably working on building the framework for that MOBA now. So a completely different team is stuck with fixing, maintaining, and improving GW2 content they didn’t even spearhead.

This was intended to be and remains the last MMO I will play. I was really happy with how this game started. This new patch has done nothing but let me down.

-Tarnished Coast since the beginning

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

From what the devs themselves have said, they simply dont have the staff to do it.

They said they have 2 people doing balance. On 500+ skills 200/300+ traits. Thats just a very very very VERY bad idea.

If they can only dedicate 2 people to this, think about the other aspects of the game that is getting neglected. COupled with no Test server, so every single patch has been very buggy. Major chains in the game broken, dungeons broken etc….

… im not going to comment on it anymore as ill probably just be banned again by the unnamed moderator or RB2.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

For your information, there was no culling at launch, it only came after a patch update. Oh how I miss the days where I can actually see the enemy I’m hitting.

Posted by: aaron.4317

aaron.4317

No Zplus, culling was a problem since beta. The game has had massive issues that could be overlooked since they were doing the grind for only cosmetic reasons thing. Now that its a WoW clone, no reason to keep playing.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

From what the devs themselves have said, they simply dont have the staff to do it.

They said they have 2 people doing balance. On 500+ skills 200/300+ traits. Thats just a very very very VERY bad idea.

If they can only dedicate 2 people to this, think about the other aspects of the game that is getting neglected. COupled with no Test server, so every single patch has been very buggy. Major chains in the game broken, dungeons broken etc….

… im not going to comment on it anymore as ill probably just be banned again by the unnamed moderator or RB2.

Is this why we got such a limited skillset in the first place you think?

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

I couldnt say. But what we do know is that they were developing another engine for 3 years, then suddenly decided to scrap it in its entirety and make the one we have now. Then they released it early while it was still buggy to beat MOP.

I would go into detail about what happened in beta, but it will just earn me another suspension.

Posted by: Erebus Delirium.4892

Erebus Delirium.4892

I couldnt say. But what we do know is that they were developing another engine for 3 years, then suddenly decided to scrap it in its entirety and make the one we have now. Then they released it early while it was still buggy to beat MOP.

I would go into detail about what happened in beta, but it will just earn me another suspension.

That is very interesting. I wish there was a way I could learn more about this.

-Tarnished Coast since the beginning

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

No Zplus, culling was a problem since beta. The game has had massive issues that could be overlooked since they were doing the grind for only cosmetic reasons thing. Now that its a WoW clone, no reason to keep playing.

Well at least I remember playing WvW after launch where I can see perfectly all the enemy’s on screen and walking around freely in the enemy zerg was just a wild dream.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

That is very interesting. I wish there was a way I could learn more about this.

I second this. I believe Anet knows all these mechanical issues in the game, but there seems to be something stopping them in from publicly announcing their working progress on in these issues.

I mean, the rewards complaint were probably an issue that took them 1-2 weeks to respond to & begin progress in fixing, same with the botting issues.

But since the betas, they have not yet openly stated what they are doing concerning a lot of the mechanics issues happening in the game. They’ve sort of touched upon it in the past with the “addition of mob telegraphs” (for those that still remember that fix – which IMO didn’t really make things much better as what it was intended for), but yah… absolutely – it’s strange that they have not come out strongly to speak about mechanical-related issues and how they are planning to fix them in the future.

It’s all just been about new content after new content after new contents. I mean, they do have 200+ staff members & the lastest patch… couldn’t have taken all 200 people to do. What projects are the other people working on, experimental projects or something? (that would be only reason why they want to keep things quite).

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I know absolutley NOTHING about computer programming, but criticising the game engine now?? I mean really?? I can play W v W or the massive dragon events beautiifully with very very little slow down. Try playing such a thing on STar Wars the Old Republic and you will see how great in real terms, the GW2 engine actually is. That gamed slowed down to 5 fps with about 20 to 30 people on screen.

Honestly, it must be SUCH a thankless task to be a games developer to create such a world of art to see know nothings crap on everything you do.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

My theory is a little different. I think they have their priorities a tad askew. Instead of working to get the fundamentals right, they are spending precious development resources on one-time events. It’s clear they’re spread thin there as well as the events have been a big disappointment. I do think that there is hope if they can focus on baking the cake before attempting to apply the icing.

Toward that end, I think they should put one-time events on hold until they have the basics covered. An example would be a combat mechanics where the players skill is really a small factor in determining combat outcomes. Once they get the basics covered, I think they should consider whether one-time events should outweigh on-going, long-term permanent content work. They’ve made a great start with GW2 but I think they could use a reality check around their conception of how to move the game forward.

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

I never had a culling issue till they did a patch. Whatever they did changed something.

Posted by: Levian.6742

Levian.6742

I totally agree. And I assume the reason they only have a few people to work on things is because this isn’t a P2P game. Players have bought their copies of the game, and the gem store is in place. They made their chunk of change.

Now the staff is dedicated to the other MMO that’s being developed by ANet. I don’t think it is the GW2 team that is responsible – I think who ever is in charge probably ordered this. From everything we’ve heard the GW2 team loves this game and want to support it. Hell they spent what, six years making it? It probably hurts them just as much as it hurts us to not be able to work on it.

Posted by: Levian.6742

Levian.6742

I totally agree. And I assume the reason they only have a few people to work on things is because this isn’t a P2P game. Players have bought their copies of the game, and the gem store is in place. They made their chunk of change.

Now the staff is dedicated to the other MMO that’s being developed by ANet. I don’t think it is the GW2 team that is responsible – I think who ever is in charge probably ordered this. From everything we’ve heard the GW2 team loves this game and want to support it. Hell they spent what, six years making it? It probably hurts them just as much as it hurts us to not be able to work on it.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I said in another post that Anets current move reminded me of EA/Dice. BF3 looked amazing when PC was lead platform, then look at the sorry sodden mess that we have now. When companies like NCsoft and that other Korean Grinder one start driving, things go bad!