My thoughts: "Play How You Want"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Ever since the new system for dailies came about, there has been mixed reactions. Some people love it, some people hate it and some couldn’t care less about it. Some people hate it because they feel restricted to the whole “play how they want” thing. The way I see it, it’s still there. Will I be punished for not doing my dailies? Aside from not getting easy 10 Achievement Points and some treasure that goes with the dailies, not really. I can choose not to do my Daily Frozen Maw and just beat Tequatl or Claw of Jormag and probably get something just as neat there maybe even better if luck is on my side. I could get more achievement points just by working on my Slayer achievements or just playing as normal on WvW/PvP (though I’ll imagine it’ll be more time consuming but not punishing).

I think that players who negatively react to this daily for that reason can’t tell the difference between “given incentives” and “forced”. When you are given incentive to do something, you have the choice to either do that option or don’t and naturally you’d be rewarded extra if you do whereas being “forced” implies that you got no choice at all or that there would be dire consequences if you choose NOT to do said dailies. It’s not like your character will die or anything if you don’t do your dailies. You’d just miss out on XP scrolls, some extra loot and others but I’m pretty sure you could get the same kind of loot (except for the scrolls unless you get the Tomes in PvP) if you just play the game your way.

This is my two cents on the whole matter

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Their argument boils down to “incentives force me to do it.” They make no distinction.

Oddly, incentives should also force them to run full Zerker speed clear paths to earn gold, but they manage to ignore those incentives just fine.

My guess is that 95% will move on and the rest will keep bringing it up whenever possible, change their signatures to some snarky comment about it, and be a general pain around here.

We’ve seen it before with Fractal reset and Megaserver. I imagine it’ll be similar.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I think that players who negatively react to this daily for that reason can’t tell the difference between “given incentives” and “forced”.

I think that players who negatively react to other people’s discontent can’t tell the difference between “whining” and “constructive criticism”.

Especially when the “incentive” in question was being given to them yesterday but hidden behind new, exciting restrictions today. Aaand here we go again, repeating the same arguments all over again and getting only the point-missing “but it’s optional!” and “but you get more!” replies.

We’ve seen it before with Fractal reset and Megaserver. I imagine it’ll be similar.

From the amount of defenders of this change, I can say that the game has attracted and kept the players it wanted, and is steadily shooing away the ones who were but are not happy anymore.

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Their argument boils down to “incentives force me to do it.” They make no distinction.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Still, making such a fuss about it seems unnecessary when compared to the other issues this game has.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Oddly, incentives should also force them to run full Zerker speed clear paths to earn gold, but they manage to ignore those incentives just fine.

Sorry, this point is flawed.

People are not complaining about old rewards that have been in specific content for a long time. They’re not even complaining about new rewards being added to specific content. They’re complaining about an existing reward that was moved away from content they like.

The proper comparison re: dungeons would be the reaction if ANet were to say, “We’ve removed tokens from dungeons. You can now get tokens by doing X, Y and Z content.”

Nothing is going to foster a sense of entitlement more than prior ownership.

timmyf.1490

Noted. My point was simply that players who routinely ignore incentives are now complaining about incentives. They should do as they’ve always done: ignore the incentives and Play How They Want.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

People are not complaining about old rewards that have been in specific content for a long time. They’re not even complaining about new rewards being added to specific content. They’re complaining about an existing reward that was moved away from content they like.

The proper comparison re: dungeons would be the reaction if ANet were to say, “We’ve removed tokens from dungeons. You can now get tokens by doing X, Y and Z content.”

I’m a bit baffled. Are you stating that players are now ‘complaining’ about the rewards that were moved to Daily Log-In? That they would prefer not put more effort into earning those rewards? Let’s hope there is no cross-over with those commenting on how difficult the Wintersday Dailies are.

Just goes to show how divided the playerbase is, and how difficult it must be for the Devs to choose how to please the majority.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think that players who negatively react to this daily for that reason can’t tell the difference between “given incentives” and “forced”.

I think that players who negatively react to other people’s discontent can’t tell the difference between “whining” and “constructive criticism”.

Especially when the “incentive” in question was being given to them yesterday but hidden behind new, exciting restrictions today. Aaand here we go again, repeating the same arguments all over again and getting only the point-missing “but it’s optional!” and “but you get more!” replies.

From the amount of defenders of this change, I can say that the game has attracted and kept the players it wanted, and is steadily shooing away the ones who were but are not happy anymore.

They’re not “defenders of this change”. They’re people who like the change because it’s easier for them. It’s faster for them. It’s more convenient for them.

Yes, no change is going to be met with universal approval. And I’m not saying that this is good for everyone. It’s just not as bad for everyone as many people are making it out to be.

If I can do dailies in 15-20 minute a day, and I only have to do them every other day to get the same number of achievement points or more, that means it averages out to 10 minutes a day.

Surely that’s not the end of the world.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

There’s still a slight shift in the mentality and the capacity for play in newer content. If playing the Living Story is really written off as something optional with incentives, we can start just moving the argument back to the very foundation of gaming and removing all accountability to what should and shouldn’t be everyone-friendly content. Why not just make Guild Wars 2 the Dark Souls of MMOs?

The recent changes have had an unbelievable uproar of people who don’t realize the dailies are pretty optional but the blatant disregard to any realism of the subject is far from genuine or precise.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

I feel the people that call the new system restricted have a point. The old system gave players a wide range of ways to get their daily. The new daily system makes you choose from from what’s currently available that day, aka restricted.

Say a player never does PvP, WvW or dungeons. The old system gave them multiple ways to get their daily in PvE by harvesting/mining/cutting down trees, do jumping puzzles, revive players or npc’s, salvage items, Daily Kill Variety, Daily Kills, Daily Veteran Slayer, Costume Brawl Champion, Skill Interrupter and Condition Remover to name a few.

Now PvE players just have chop down trees/mining/gathering plants, which only one of those are available each day.
Craft exotic weapon- if a player doesn’t have a trade leveled to where they can make an exotic weapon this daily can’t be done.
View 1 vista in (insert area name).
Daily Fractal- like I said if a player doesn’t do dungeons this daily is off the check list.
Defeat (insert name) world boss- if you just miss the boss battle, well have fun waiting 3 hours for it to spawn again.
Do events in (insert area name)- this can be tedious with the large amount of players bum rushing the map where the events have to be done so finding an event, participating in the event and getting credit for it is pure luck.
Daily Mystic Forger- I’ve only seen this daily once.

To add to the problem of “restriction” only 3 or 4 PvE dailies are available each day with the 4th always seeming to be doing Fractals.

They need to add more PvE dailies and add more to choose from each day or go back to the old system that wasn’t broken to begin with!

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Your wrong there mate if they removed tokens and added them like they did with daily rewards it would be login and get 207 tokens from each dungeon for doing nothing

Edit
Fixed token nr and maybe each dungen was abit to much lets say you get 69 for 1 path a day making it total of 25 paths before it starts over from acp1 again

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Noted. My point was simply that players who routinely ignore incentives are now complaining about incentives. They should do as they’ve always done: ignore the incentives and Play How They Want.

the thing is that now playing how they want gives fewer rewards than it did yesterday.

also, do they do what they’ve always done: play how they want, or do they do what they’ve always done: complete the daily. it used to be that these two weren’t mutually exclusive, and now they are.

it mostly comes down to something that used to work fine for a lot of people no longer works as well for a lot of them, and they’re gonna get angry about it. imagine if you had to start paying more for the same internet you get now?

I personally can deal with the changes – but it does feel like Anet is fixing things that ain’t broke, while a lot of more serious issues get ignored.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

the thing is that now playing how they want gives fewer rewards than it did yesterday.

also, do they do what they’ve always done: play how they want, or do they do what they’ve always done: complete the daily. it used to be that these two weren’t mutually exclusive, and now they are.

it mostly comes down to something that used to work fine for a lot of people no longer works as well for a lot of them, and they’re gonna get angry about it. imagine if you had to start paying more for the same internet you get now?

I personally can deal with the changes – but it does feel like Anet is fixing things that ain’t broke, while a lot of more serious issues get ignored.

But it’s not true for everyone. That’s the other side. I get to play how I want more than I did before, because I used to get 10 achievement points a day. That meant I had to spend a lot more time to get those points.

Now I can play how I want for more time each day. It’s all about perspective.

timmyf.1490

Gray, I very often have to pay more for my internet. Or TV. Or a channel I like is moved to a different package, so I have to change which packages I have. I literally just changed up my TV/internet service a month ago for this very reason.

Change happens. If you can’t deal with minor changes in your life, especially in something like a video game, you’ll not be a very happy person.

Now, I understand games are an escape for many, but that doesn’t mean the basic rules of reality don’t apply.

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

But it’s not true for everyone. That’s the other side. I get to play how I want more than I did before, because I used to get 10 achievement points a day. That meant I had to spend a lot more time to get those points.

Yes, but it COULD easily be true for everyone. If the new dailies were less absurdly specific then everyone could/should be happy (though some may still complain about having to do 3 of 4, but we can’t always have everything we want). Swap out “Complete 4 events in X zone” for “Complete 4 events in X region” or “Complete 4 events while down-leveled.” Swap “Do X boss” for “Do a world boss.”

That easily they could restore some of the flexibility to integrate daily completion into other game goals while still retaining the major features of the new system. It is hard for me to see the downside. I’d think it better to have people attending all the world bosses, or spread out over many zones while down-leveled, than sending the players zerging through one zone or mobbing one specific boss anyway.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Yes, but it COULD easily be true for everyone. If the new dailies were less absurdly specific then everyone could/should be happy (though some may still complain about having to do 3 of 4, but we can’t always have everything we want). Swap out “Complete 4 events in X zone” for “Complete 4 events in X region” or “Complete 4 events while down-leveled.” Swap “Do X boss” for “Do a world boss.”

That easily they could restore some of the flexibility to integrate daily completion into other game goals while still retaining the major features of the new system. It is hard for me to see the downside. I’d think it better to have people attending all the world bosses, or spread out over many zones while down-leveled, than sending the players zerging through one zone or mobbing one specific boss anyway.

What about the people that posted threads, complaining that fact that you could do dailies without thinking about them, meant that the dailies were too generic and not worthy of the term “achievement”?

In the last couple of years there have been plenty of posts by players asking for more specific dailies. Simple fact is that you can never please every single person.

That’s not to say there’s not a possible middle ground though.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I can play how I want just fine, because my enjoyment of the game does not center around AP, and the laurels I needed to do dailies for are now provided by logging in.

I have absolute freedom as it stands. Still get my laurels, and if I manage to do a daily during normal play, I go “oh, that’s nice” and carry on.

Certainly, not everyone is or should have this viewpoint, but in my case it’s working well.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

What about the people that posted threads, complaining that fact that you could do dailies without thinking about them, meant that the dailies were too generic and not worthy of the term “achievement”?

In the last couple of years there have been plenty of posts by players asking for more specific dailies. Simple fact is that you can never please every single person.

That’s not to say there’s not a possible middle ground though.

No, you can’t please everyone. I tend to give those complaints less serious consideration simply because I don’t see them as consistent with the dailies in any form I’ve ever seen or most of the other achievement categories. It seems that complaint is more targeted toward achievements in general than dailies.

The prior daily categories like “gatherer” or “dodger” or “condition applier” didn’t meet those expectations and the new ones don’t either. Is viewing a vista or completing 4 events in Queensdale any more of an “achievement” than gatherer was? This is consistent with the fact that achievements in general aren’t really “achievements”. Completing the 1-15 zone maps or the capital city maps? Killing 500 centaurs? Killing the Shadow Behemoth? Hitting 3 players with a snowball during Wintersday?

If achievements in general were things like “solo a champion” then I’d completely agree, but everything I’ve seen indicates the achievement systems isn’t intended to actually be challenging for the average player to progress through while “playing”.