My thoughts on toypocalypse, whats yours?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

So from this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Toypocalypse-and-Parties/first#post4629653
We learned that this is not a bug, it is an intended change. But they are making it sound like there is literally nothing they could have done. I admit that i know zero things about coding but im pretty sure if they wanted to make toypocalypse doable with party members instead of random hotjoining people, that is something they could have done. And if this is an intended change and not something that happened accidentally then they had time to make the changes to toypocalypse so that everyone could be happy.
Also on a little side not, be a little nicer to Gaile guys, she is in charge of talking to us and not in charge of making all these decisions, without her no one will ever hear our complaining

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’m sure they have the ability to recode it so that you can do it with your party. I’m also sure that they did not have the time or personnel to do that between the time this issue was discovered and the time the content went live.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked with parties next year.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

I am severely disappointed in this Toypocalypse change. What is more disappointing is that we had been through this when it happened in 2012. I really wish Anet would try and change this before Wintersday is over.

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Therodin.2970

I’m just so dissapointed After SAB this was probably my favorite game within the game and i was really looking forward to playing it again this year with some friends who weren’t around last year.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Forum Communications Team Lead
This has been explained in the following posts:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Toypocalypse-and-Parties/first#post4629653
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Toypocalypse-and-Parties/first#post4629767
We do take on board that this change is not to everyone’s liking, but the change was required and not optional.
Gaile Gray
Forum Communications Team Lead
ArenaNet

Guild Wars 2: the MMORPG where the the game is in control, not the Devs.

Sounds like the title of a horror flick.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Therodin.2970

Do you think the game demands new living story content every two weeks as a sort of sacrifice?

Posted by: Toroxus.9256

Toroxus.9256

I’m not going to play Toypocalypse because I can’t play it with my friends or make new friends. In fact, I can’t play any Wintersday activities with my friends, except the Infinirarium, so for Wintersday-esque activities, we’re just playing other games instead. Hey, we all logged on to a different game, saw some cool winter-skin sales, and bought them all with the money we would have spent on GW2. It’s just basic capitalism.

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Well Gaile keeps saying it was a NECESSARY change to stabilise PvP and activities. But she doesn’t tell us in what way it was necessary at all. Most likely it was an unnecessary change that some dev implemented to show that he’s actually doing work.

It’s a shame anet threw away their pride for making good game content and stubbornly stuck to a content delivery system that only delivers sub-par content just so they can slack all year long.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

My thoughts:
-Horrible change.
-It’s not Wintersday if I can’t play with my friends.
-While it may have been necessary to change parts of the code for PvP, it was an optional choice to devote resources into allowing parties – a choice that ArenaNet knowingly decided not to do.
-This thread will be locked like all the others.
-After spending months trying to improve communication, shutting off discussions with ultimatums has kittened it all away again.
-It is impossible for ArenaNet to improve it’s communications with customers when they have a policy of not communicating with their players. Change the policy or this will continue to get worse.

Therodin.2970

I wish that if we complained enough they would decide to devote the time it would take to fix this before wintersday is over, but im sure they already have the holiday plans set and we will just be SOL for this cold cold wintersday

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

For all of you complaining about this, and those that know nothing of programming..let me put it in simple terms you might understand. The code that allows single and party entrance into an instance like Toypocalypse is shared with PvP, which means the code is the exact same thing for PvP as it is for Toypocalypse. To stabilize PvP they had to make some changes that made it so parties could not join the same instance together. In order to allow parties to join Toypocalypse as a party they would need to duplicate that code, make what ever changes are necessary just for Toypocalypse and insert into the game code, which could lead to more bugs and problems if it’s a rush job. By waiting until Wintersday 2015 it gives the team a better chance to get the code correct and limits the potential for it being buggy. Most if not all software that has code that is used in multiple functions doesn’t duplicate that bode but just does what A.net, fix it for it’s main purpose until there is sufficient time to rework it for both purposes. Besides, Toypocalypse was originally intended to be a solo join experience as a random group.

To fix the issue they’d need to completely rewrite the code, better to allow them a year to do it in vs a couple of months.

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

I wish that if we complained enough they would decide to devote the time it would take to fix this before wintersday is over, but im sure they already have the holiday plans set and we will just be SOL for this cold cold wintersday

It appears they’re (or at least Gaile) bent on using the power argument to shut down any discussions about it. Google “just because fallacy”.

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

For all of you complaining about this, and those that know nothing of programming..let me put it in simple terms you might understand. The code that allows single and party entrance into an instance like Toypocalypse is shared with PvP, which means the code is the exact same thing for PvP as it is for Toypocalypse. To stabilize PvP they had to make some changes that made it so parties could not join the same instance together. In order to allow parties to join Toypocalypse as a party they would need to duplicate that code, make what ever changes are necessary just for Toypocalypse and insert into the game code, which could lead to more bugs and problems if it’s a rush job. By waiting until Wintersday 2015 it gives the team a better chance to get the code correct and limits the potential for it being buggy. Most if not all software that has code that is used in multiple functions doesn’t duplicate that bode but just does what A.net, fix it for it’s main purpose until there is sufficient time to rework it for both purposes. Besides, Toypocalypse was originally intended to be a solo join experience as a random group.

To fix the issue they’d need to completely rewrite the code, better to allow them a year to do it in vs a couple of months.

Hard to believe it’s that hard. Every single instance in PvE keeps the party intact. Even one particular instance that happens to be the same exact map.

If they copied code from PvP to Toypocalipse, why not copy it from dungeons/story/etc? Using PvP code actually makes less sense to begin with, since Toypocalipse has absolutely no competition.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

You mean that they didn’t have time to fix that since December 2013?

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

It’s like a very bad version of Dungeon Defenders ^^

Therodin.2970

I understand what your saying, but “To stabilize PvP they had to make some changes that made it so parties could not join the same instance together.” Parties joining the same instance together is exactly what ranked arena is. I think that is what most people have a problem understand, how it being similar to pvp (something you can do with party members) makes it so that we cant do it with party members.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I could have sworn we could enter as a party last year. Since it’s much more like a dungeon (where you fight NPCs) than a PvP area (where you fight other people) I can’t say I understand why the entering of it wasn’t modeled after the other temporary dungeons we’ve had so far.

Does this mean that if ANet makes other temporary dungeons, they will be “hot join” also?

Therodin.2970

It was possible to enter as a party last year and did seem much more like a dungeon than a pvp instance. In that im pretty sure the event did not start until you walked in and you could do it by yourself if you wanted. I have no idea why it was changed to be more like pvp other than it apparently had to.

Posted by: Krestfallen.8025

Krestfallen.8025

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I could have sworn we could enter as a party last year.

Your memory is not faulty. You could indeed do Toypocalypse with premade parties last year.

• But seriously? What kind of bullkitten kind of game design is that? Who the kitten wants to do once a year, holiday themed events with their friends? I mean really. It’s like people have forgotten what the holidays are all about: standing around in complete and awkard silence with a group of random strangers and vaguely hoping something good happens. kitten, y’all wanna spend the holidays with your friends? Shoot, this generation really is going to kitten… /shakeshakes-head-woefully.
  • This is sarcasm, this is sarcasm, this is sarcasm.