My wish for rune balance

My wish for rune balance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: adventure.9032

adventure.9032

Hi!

I wish that the power level of armor enhancing runes would be tuned. At the moment there are some runes who seem to be more powerful and popular than others and some runes that seem weak to me and I think see no play. It would be cool if there was more diversity in the runes used. The “rune balance” is not horrible or anything, I just wish it was a bit better.

Runes that I think are popular:
PVE = Rune of the Scholar, Rune of Strength
WvW = Rune of Durability

Runes that I think don’t see a lot of play:
Rune of the Baelfire
Rune of the Brawler
Rune of the Centaur
Rune of the Citadel
Rune of the Elementalist
Rune of the Fire
Rune of the Mesmer
Rune of Surging
Rune of the Eagle
Rune of Lyssa
Rune of Rata Sum
Rune of the Thief
Rune of the Earth
Rune of the Engineer
Rune of the Forgeman
Rune of the Guardian
Rune of the Herald
Rune of Melandru
Rune of Resistance
Rune of Snowfall
Rune of Svanir
Rune of the Ice
Rune of the Lich
Rune of Radiance
Rune of Sanctuary
Rune of Speed
Rune of the Warrior
Rune of the Air
Rune of the Dragonhunter
Rune of Evasion
Rune of the Golemancer
Rune of the Adventurer
Rune of the Afflicted
Rune of Antitoxin
Rune of the Necromancer
Rune of Orr
Rune of Altruism
Rune of Dwayna
Rune of the Flock
Rune of the Grove
Rune of the Monk
Rune of the Water

That is not a list of every rune in the game. Many of the other runes are still good and see a lot of play in all game modes, but I do feel that there could and should still be more diversity. Often other runes lose to a rune like durability because they have less stats, weaker abilities and longer internal cooldowns.

I hope the weaker runes would slowly be changed by making their internal cooldowns smaller, effects bigger and/or more stats added to them. I would like to be able to proudly wear something like Rune of the Earth and not be laughed at by my Durability wearing friends or to use something like Rune of the Citadel next to my friends who are using Strength runes.

I wish that my rune choice wasn’t so easy to make.

ps. Here is the link to all runes in the game: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune

edit: sorry if I listed your favorite rune as “bad”. If you reply to the topic remember that the point here is not to discuss if a single rune is good or not, but more about the overall balance of the runes.

My wish for rune balance

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I think you are confusing the strength of a rune with the usefulness of its effect in the context of the games current content.

My wish for rune balance

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Many of the Runes that this game have are completely utterly garbahe, out of one single reason only – way too long cooldown times, at least thats mostly the reason for most of them, other reason that comes next is, the effect is too weak compared to something that a similar rune can give me.

The game needs finally a rune system rework and rebalancing, a proper one just to say, which nerfs the way too overpowered ones down, like Rune of Perplexity and which makes most of the so far useless Runes more meaningful with better Cooldowns, so that their effects can play a better role in combat.

There shouldn’t also exist Runes with effects, which are basically only useful for 1 single class.
Each Rune should provide effects, that are universally useful for all Classes.
Runes, that are linked towards professions/specializations, should also be only useable by that profession/specialization

For simple example, a Mesmer shouldn’t be able to use the “Rune of the Elementalist”
If ANet ever wants to give this game a Build Template System for PvE/WvW, then its also necessary, that they need to add accountbound ascended Runes/Sigils/Gemstones with that you can unlock the exotic effects of these upgrades for your account, so that the effects become useable for the Template System so that you can freely swap these effects out for your build, just like people in PvP can do that in the Lobby. (they would be somethign Anet can give to Jeweler 500, so that theres a reason for Jeweler to get to 500 finally as crafting job, that can turn exotic upgrades to ascended ones for th Template System)

Runes should also provide no Stats, if you want Stats, then Gemstones should be the superior choice clearly, while Crests (reworked) should be what Runes are now, some kind of hybrid that gives effects and stats, but doesn’t need to be used in a full set just to get a special effect, thats for what you use Runes where when using 6 runes of the same type (and same quality) should give you a 7th rune specific special effect for the complete

Exotic Crests need to get added also with that rework of the system so that (rename the iinferior upgrades all to Crests (no talismans, no medaillons ect. anymore, just crests of different quality just like runes)..but back to the Runes

Theres currently also way too much runes in this game, I think certain Runes should get merged or removed simply (people which may use removed ones will get items that allow them to choice free “replacement runes” of choice which aren’t sellableand instantly replace the removed runes in your gear, once chosen out.

With every Rune set they added balancing of this game becomes only more and more complicated, especially when you just add new runes and make no attempts to keep the runes also balanced, instead of permanently ignoring them most of the time in balance patches like Anet did, cause they were all the time always only focused on skills and traits and touched mostly never anythign else, which is a reason why we have such a balancing mess right now with the result beign that this game has turned into a complete Condition and CC Spamfest pest, because nothign else isn#t viable to be played anymore if you want to survive in PvP/WvW due to some total overpowered meta runes, like Rune of Perplexity being guilty for this…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

My wish for rune balance

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I would say runes whcih see regular use are a bit wider spread.

For PvE

DPS: Scholar,
PS: Strength
Conditions: Berserker, Nightmare, Krait, Thorns
Heal: Monk, (Dwayna)
(Budget: ranger, fury, ogre, pack,eagle…. Condition and healing are so cheap no alternative is needed)
There are few runes whcih are so powerfull they can push the ultraend runes from it’s place, recent exaamples were chronomancer, berserker and in less circumstances druid…

For WvW

DPS… Scholar, Ogre, Pack
PS: Hoelbrak
Condition control: Trooper
Conditions: Krait, Berserker, Nightmare, Trapper, Perplexity

I’d also say perplexity is one of the few runes able to trigger at times where it is usefull, adding to the build, as is Krait with elites with a 30 second recharge… Improved runes would mean more pressure, compared to perplexity…

there are also runes still in use for specific purpose, ressers (mercy), speed (centaur/swiftness/traveler)

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)