Mystic Coin needs more supply

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jonemirant.1653

jonemirant.1653

Mystic Coin’s prices have risen from 10 silver to over 1 gold since early 2016.

Unlike other materials which can be grinded (even Amalgamated Gemstone can be grinded), Mystic Coin has a very limited supply, namely:

1. Chance for 5 to 50 from Mystic Clover crafting

2. Common reward from bosses of the Nightmare Fractal challenge mode

3. Rewarded once a day from completing the Defeat the Ley-Line Anomaly to disperse its destructive energy before it overloads event.

4. 20 received through every 28 day login rewards cycle; 2/4/6/8 on the first day of every week.

And let’s be honest:

No.1 – strictly a gamble and unreliable
No.2 – most people lack skills/time/AR to do it
No.3 – don’t even know wtf is that, and it only gives 1 per day!
No.4 – takes a whole year to accumulate a full stack of 250!

As long as there is no consistent way to farm this like other materials:

1. players who need it will continue to buy it,

2. players who do not need it right away will not sell it because they know it will be more and more expensive and they may need it later; and

3. traders will buy flip it.

Result: price will continue to rise and will eventually surpass the price for amalgamated gemstone.

Suggestion: simply create more supply such as drops from end of meta-events, or end of pvp/wvw track.

I think the reasonable price should be around 30 to 50 silver, same as ectoplasm. High than 1g is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

ArenaNet has already confirmed that supply is outpacing demand. The issue is that you don’t want to wait or buy them.

Server: Devona’s Rest

jonemirant.1653

ArenaNet has already confirmed that supply is outpacing demand. The issue is that you don’t want to wait or buy them.

This statement is essentially the same as “there is a lot of money in the economy and the banks are flooded with cash, you just happen to be poor.”

I’m saying that there should be a way to actively farm this material, and thus allowing “hardworking” people to get more of them, instead of freely given to people who may not need them but get them anyway just by logging in, and yet never sells them because the price is expected keep going up.

If Anet is worried that creating extra supply will flood the market with too much mystic coin, it can always take away the log in reward for mystic coin, replace it with something else, like mystic salvage or something else.

Or they make mystic coin gambler like Tarrktun!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’m sitting on over 500, myself. Between the rest of the elite spec weapons I want to make and a few legendaries I’m poking at, I’ll probably need all of them. So, mine aren’t going to hit the supply. There are probably plenty of people like me, sitting in a limbo of no-supply/no-immediate-demand, not contributing to the market.
The data might say I’m “generating” Coins, but it’s a false interpretation of what’s going to happen with them.

Are the prices high? Yeah, a bit. Given what they’re used for, I can understand that the econs are comfortable with them holding steady around 80s-100s. And steady value means they’re in a good spot for the game.

I wouldn’t object to lower prices, in case I ever need to buy them, but I also don’t bother getting Clovers from RNG-gambling.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You can actively farm any material, sell it on the TP, and buy the Mystic Coins you want.

Having a high value but evenly distributed product like this gives new and poor players the ability to make some quick gold fast.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Arena Net can say whatever they want it however it doesn’t mean we have to take it for face value.

There is no doubt that demand is much much higher than the actual supply because demand doesn’t necessarily mean the products that are currently on the market. ArenaNet keeps on adding more and more items that require more and more Mystic Coins without providing a proper source of supply to match. This causes the demand to maintain a level high enough to entice massive hoarding of the coins. People hoard the coins because at any moment Anet can release another infusion or weapon skin that requires hundreds of coins to create and they know they’ll never be able to easily recuperate those coins. They also nerfed the acquisition of Mystic Clovers and at a 30% drop for a single cover many of the coins are simply being flushed

This is a game of hoarding and this hoarding is fueled by the demand and expectation there are people right now hoarding items for the next S3 release. The supply of coins in this game are seiged up and the only way to unlock that gate to unleash a free flowing material is to add a reliable farming method. Such that a person can sell their stock and not worry to much about being short when anet adds another huge coin sink. Coins being as low as 25-35s would probably be a good price to get the flow but at these high prices it just promotes further hoarding.

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

The Mystic Forge Daily also awards a Mystic Coin.

If you are truly desperate you can buy another game license and double your coin generation from daily logging.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Anet hasn’t actually said that supply outstrips demand. What they have said is that approx 10% more coins are created than destroyed. So the number of coins existing in the game is actually continually growing.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Actually, the price has dropped somewhat. I don’t get close to 1g/coin any more. More like 5g/6 coins.

I’m sitting on 500 and selling any I get on my 5 accounts, so you are generalizing. People are selling them and people are buying them. I see an expensive component of expensive items. I see no issue here.

Edit: This should get merged soon, but otherwise, google it, often discussed here.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

the suply is hight ppl just hold on to them just w8 for thenext leggie price will prob dropon the coins with everyonr selling esp if the next is a serious one

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This statement is essentially the same as “there is a lot of money in the economy and the banks are flooded with cash, you just happen to be poor.”

Nope. It’s essentially the same as saying, “you can choose to wait to get the mystic coins or you can choose to pay; up to you.”

I’m saying that there should be a way to actively farm this material, and thus allowing “hardworking” people to get more of them,

Hardworking people can get as many as they want, from the TP.

instead of freely given to people who may not need them but get them anyway just by logging in, and yet never sells them because the price is expected keep going up.

In fact, lots of new players sell them because they want the 1g/coin. That’s why when people try to corner the market (seems to have happened at least once, maybe twice recently), the price spikes only briefly and returns to the previous equilibrium.

The only people who don’t sell are those such as myself who expect or hope to have a use for them in the relatively near future.

If Anet is worried that creating extra supply will flood the market with too much mystic coin, it can always take away the log in reward for mystic coin, replace it with something else, like mystic salvage or something else.

They aren’t worried about it. They don’t have to do anything, since the current supply seems to be fine from their perspective.

You seem to think that there’s something wrong with mystic coins being worth 1g, even though we get 2g these days just from dailies. Why shouldn’t an item used in making luxury items come with a luxury price? Plus is has the added benefit of offering a way to transfer wealth from those with gold to spare to those who want gold more than they want specific shinies.

tl;dr mystic coins don’t need more supply — it’s just that some of us are used to a much lower price.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Arena Net can say whatever they want it however it doesn’t mean we have to take it for face value.

There is no doubt that demand is much much higher than the actual supply because demand doesn’t necessarily mean the products that are currently on the market. ArenaNet keeps on adding more and more items that require more and more Mystic Coins without providing a proper source of supply to match. This causes the demand to maintain a level high enough to entice massive hoarding of the coins. People hoard the coins because at any moment Anet can release another infusion or weapon skin that requires hundreds of coins to create and they know they’ll never be able to easily recuperate those coins. They also nerfed the acquisition of Mystic Clovers and at a 30% drop for a single cover many of the coins are simply being flushed

This is a game of hoarding and this hoarding is fueled by the demand and expectation there are people right now hoarding items for the next S3 release. The supply of coins in this game are seiged up and the only way to unlock that gate to unleash a free flowing material is to add a reliable farming method. Such that a person can sell their stock and not worry to much about being short when anet adds another huge coin sink. Coins being as low as 25-35s would probably be a good price to get the flow but at these high prices it just promotes further hoarding.

one of the most annoying things that this game has become is an item hoarding economy with insane item inflation and item distribution.

spending a half hour managing inventory after a play session was never a good idea for me, and it keeps getting worse.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5svug8/the_head_of_the_snake_devs_here_ask_us_anything/ddi7an1/

Prices are fine for what they’re used for and this coming from someone that will need well over 4K by October.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I think the reasonable price should be around 30 to 50 silver, same as ectoplasm. High than 1g is absolutely ridiculous.

What are you basing “reasonable” on? What you’d be willing to pay?

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

I disagree, that will impact me and others like me that have 3 stacks of them or more because I have not spent a single one since the game came out. Keep it the way it is, play the game and earn your coins.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Why though?

Mystic Coins are used for legendaries and niche high end skins. Obviously those things are highly valued, and thus it only makes sense they’re expensive. This benefits anyone that’s not into high end goods such as these, and thus benefits a disproportionately amount of poorer players who just sell them when they get them for free so they can gear and stuff which is apparently impossible given other threads.

What they probably should do is look at Mystic Clovers again.

And honestly, what would be the point of these things if they weren’t expensive? It’s the same thing in real life where fancy cars and gadgets carry a huge price premium for no reason other than to show that you are very rich. Unlike real life, there isn’t a constant stream of huge expenses one has to keep putting out. Your toon doesn’t have to pay medical bills or the rent. (Though I suppose they don’t actually live anywhere.)

There’s going to come a point in the game where you will have acquired everything you need to perform in this game and the gold you earn isn’t going to do anything by sitting there. It’s not like you can transform it back into real money.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

The basic argument is that Mystic coin prices are always okay because no price is too high for intended to be expensive items. Until they are too expensive for someone.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

jonemirant.1653

Based on the reasoning that if someone wants to craft legendary, like Hope for example, the costs for the Mystic Coin is almost like 25% of the total cost of the legendary itself. I think a reasonable % would be 10%.

ArchonWing.9480

You can always place an order for them at 50s. If someone agrees that it’s a good idea, they’ll sell it to you.

Failing that, consult guildies, friends, and other trustworthy individuals that think similarly so you can trade internally. A pool of 10-20 people is more than enough to generate the coins needed.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The basic argument is that Mystic coin prices are always okay because no price is too high for intended to be expensive items. Until they are too expensive for someone.

No, the argument is that 250 gold per stack isn’t that much for someone interested in legendaries. M-coins are high now, but legendaries are cheaper than they once were.

“Too high” is always subjective, whether it’s applied to coffee at Starbucks or mystic coins.

Ayrilana.1396

Based on the reasoning that if someone wants to craft legendary, like Hope for example, the costs for the Mystic Coin is almost like 25% of the total cost of the legendary itself. I think a reasonable % would be 10%.

The cost of mystic coins should not be based off of the percentage of the total cost that they are a part of for legendary weapons. Also note that the cost for legendary weapons remained unchanged even with the increase of mystic coin cost.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You can always place an order for them at 50s. If someone agrees that it’s a good idea, they’ll sell it to you.

Failing that, consult guildies, friends, and other trustworthy individuals that think similarly so you can trade internally. A pool of 10-20 people is more than enough to generate the coins needed.

You’d have to wait for the tens of thousands of buy orders with higher prices than 50 silver to be filled before someone would fill yours. So this doesn’t actually work

ArchonWing.9480

You’d have to wait for the tens of thousands of buy orders with higher prices than 50 silver to be filled before someone would fill yours. So this doesn’t actually work

Oh, so you mean these tens of thousands of people think a higher price than that is reasonable?

OriOri.8724

Oh, so you mean these tens of thousands of people think a higher price than that is reasonable?

Just because you have a buy order out does not mean you think the price is reasonable. If you need coins you need coins, and since its just not practical to gather them yourself, that means resorting to buying them. And if you have to resort to buying them, you have to put up a buy order that actually has a chance at being filled.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

The price of Mystic Coins it fine on its own, the MAJOR problem with MC’s is that they are used in an RnG recipe for clovers that is the problem, Anet need to make a dedicated recipe,

10 Coins, 10 ecto 10 Crystals, 10 Obby Shards = 7 clovers

The last time I made 77 clovers it took me 370 coins to make them, this is NOT ok, its the RnG in that recipe that keeps them prices high.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Just because you have a buy order out does not mean you think the price is reasonable. If you need coins you need coins, and since its just not practical to gather them yourself, that means resorting to buying them. And if you have to resort to buying them, you have to put up a buy order that actually has a chance at being filled.

‘Just because people actually buy a car for $20k, doesn’t mean they wouldn’t rather only pay $5k.’ But if you feel you need to travel, and so do many other folks, you’re entering the realm of supply and demand. If people didn’t want expensive things, they wouldn’t be expensive. Think how Ferrari would do if everyone in the world decided, ‘Nah! I like cheap slow things w/o appeal to status or self-aggrandizing’….

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

The point exactly is you don’t need. You have the feeling of a need. But can do anything in the game without it.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I’m saying that there should be a way to actively farm this material, and thus allowing “hardworking” people to get more of them, instead of freely given to people who may not need them but get them anyway just by logging in, and yet never sells them because the price is expected keep going up.

There IS a method for a “hardworking” person to obtain more mystic coins, and the secret will blow your mind!

It’s this…

<drum roll>

Step one, do any dang thing you want in the game.

Step two, sell the loot you get for gold.

Step three, purchase mystic coins from the trading post for gold.

…and bam, your hard work got turned into more mystic coins! Magic!

Yes, I know, for whatever reason you think is entirely valid, “earn gold, buy coins” isn’t what you want to do. Either you want to directly farm them, for no really good reason other than “I prefer that”, or you imagine the farm will be less costly in terms of time than earning enough gold to get what you want.

…and it’s fine to say that, but seriously, don’t predicate your argument on “impossible” when it is absolutely, completely possible.

(edited by SlippyCheeze.5483)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The price of Mystic Coins it fine on its own, the MAJOR problem with MC’s is that they are used in an RnG recipe for clovers that is the problem, Anet need to make a dedicated recipe,

The last time I made 77 clovers it took me 370 coins to make them, this is NOT ok, its the RnG in that recipe that keeps them prices high.

Yeah, RNG kittens. Why, reading about how this works, am I reminded of F2P Korean grinders wherein crafting an upgraded weapon sometimes results in success and sometimes in loss of everything? The only thing missing is the store item to “increase” the percentage chance.

ArchonWing.9480

That need is purely subjective.

It is not about needing coins. It is about needing coins now. The game gives you coins for free. You can also get 1 a day and from the occasional daily. You can also get mystic clovers from the track.

The problem actually fixes itself

And that is why I refuse to partake in this nonsense. They’re not getting a single copper from me.

Ayrilana.1396

Or people can do the x1 recipe which averages out better to the drop percentage with the same amount of coins. There’s two much volatility with 37 forges. How’s it any different than doing a recipe that requires 110 of each to yield 80 clovers, do it four times until you succeed, and then complain about the RNG?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Tman.6349

Or people can do the x1 recipe which averages out better to the drop percentage with the same amount of coins. There’s two much volatility with 37 forges. How’s it any different than doing a recipe that requires 110 of each to yield 80 clovers, do it four times until you succeed, and then complain about the RNG?

this doesn’t even include the suppressed value of ectos for months during/since/after the AB farm (gotta be kidding me) or any of the returned materials based on ‘mis-crafts’ (which is higher generally b/c of the demand (t6 mats etc), not to mention, other methods of acquisition of clovers besides straight crafting (reward tracks ring a bell!?!), and it’s easy to surmise that Clovers were/are, actually, cheaper than they’ve ever been in the game’s history.

edit: I bet if Anet didn’t allow this steady inflow of ectos, after the AB nerf (dab of destabilized ecto/BL Keys), the cost of those mystic clovers would’ve doubled by now…

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

No, the argument is that 250 gold per stack isn’t that much for someone interested in legendaries. M-coins are high now, but legendaries are cheaper than they once were.

“Too high” is always subjective, whether it’s applied to coffee at Starbucks or mystic coins.

Too high is subjective, but so is saying that it isnt too high. Thus the price is always okay, until someone decides for themselves its not.

Legendaries may be cheaper, I dunno. Depends how you compare anyway. Mystic weapons are very much more expensive however.

Anyway, it wasn’t an argument for or against mystic coin prices. Just stating that it’s all opinion really. I mostly think that whatever the price is I can safely ignore it if it’s too expensive. Easier to put the game down and play something less grindy.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

I often read this kind of comments and i completely disagree, if ANet says X, we don’t necessarily have to agree with, that’s what forums and complains are for, in the hope that seeing the displeasure of many, they change their mind!

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

people defending the price by saying its at equilibrium with buyers and sellers are missing the point, this is a designed system.

the op isnt exactly saying its not worth the cost, they are claiming the system shouldnt be designed so that you have to either wait many moons or buy from the tp.

i must say, i am reminded getting most of the prestige items in gw2 is not a very joyful experience.
1000s of mystic coins? as exciting as paying rent.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

limited supply for increasing demand is never a good idea.
Right now the price seems somewhat stable, but thats only until the next sink comes into to play. Maybe we should have more freedom in our monthly gift choices?
how about all the rewards get cut in volume, and instead we also get daily currency which we can spend on more tomes, laurels, or mystic coins? half of the monthly rewards are an immideate discard for me, I don’t need tomes or scraps like that, but someone else might be able to use them well in large quantities

Tman.6349

people defending the price by saying its at equilibrium with buyers and sellers are missing the point, this is a designed system.

the op isnt exactly saying its not worth the cost, they are claiming the system shouldnt be designed so that you have to either wait many moons or buy from the tp.

i must say, i am reminded getting most of the prestige items in gw2 is not a very joyful experience.

people paying rent keeps them alive and living a decent life…I’m sure the devs would agree on this or any other part of any market (as I’m sure they are human)

edit: feel free to deconstruct that from an internet connection. (if people want/need things, they will surely find a way to get them or do w/o (since you put it in such simple terms; ‘paying rent’…surely ‘being alive’ is just as grand as a few shiny baubles in a computer game?)

(edited by Tman.6349)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How is this any different from how it’s been since launch, aside from cost? Originally, it was even more meaningless; the cost was too low to matter.

And why shouldn’t the system be designed so you can choose to buy or get stuff for free? In effect, ANet is saying that everyone can get enough mats to choose a couple of minor shines or a major shiny every year; if they want more, they can pay folks who don’t want either. That’s a nice transfer of wealth for poorer players and an easy option for richer ones.

I’m not defending the current system as much as saying that there’s nothing worth criticizing. I wouldn’t mind if coins dropped to 10s each and neither do I think it’s important if they go up to 2g. It remains a material/currency used for luxury items that we get for free (and can buy more if we want).

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

You get 2g a day for dailies which can be done very quickly. If you play the game casually, add another 2-3g a day. That’s 150g a month, or 150 additional MCs a month. Really, it does not take that long to amass these things just from playing the game the way you want.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

You can actively farm any material, sell it on the TP, and buy the Mystic Coins you want.

Having a high value but evenly distributed product like this gives new and poor players the ability to make some quick gold fast.

This.

Farm gold, buy coins. Essentially you have farmed coins. If the prices spikes up, more people are incentivised to sell their stash, the supply provided to the market increases, the prices falls again. Until the demand does not outpace supply, then arenanet might get active.

Total cost of crafting H.O.P.E according to GW2efficiency: 2,397 gold

Basically 400g above the desired Season1 legendarys which go for aproximately 1,900 – 2,000 gold. Working as intended.

Total cost would actually mean something if we assume that arenanet wouldn’t replace the cost loss. Since it is reasonable to assume that the new sparkly and shiny items are ment to be more expensive than the old ones, making Mystic Coins cheaper would merely shift cost to another part of the item.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

… making Mystic Coins cheaper would merely shift cost to another part of the item.

Also: Cheaper MC —> More legendaries crafted --> More high tier mats consumed —> Higher prices in other markets.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You get 2g a day for dailies which can be done very quickly. If you play the game casually, add another 2-3g a day. That’s 150g a month, or 150 additional MCs a month. Really, it does not take that long to amass these things just from playing the game the way you want.

I see that argument used very often nowadays. Problem, there’s a lot of things it keeps being used on, and yet it’s still the same 2g.

Remember, that when Anet introduced this gold daily reward, and some people were protesting, the answer was that it’s a significant increase of income for a large part of the playerbase. Seriously, most players do not do dailies every day. Most players do not have daily average incomes counted in many multiplies of gold coins. For many players, 150g is a gold amount they never had at once – a fortune.

You’re basing your arguments on the average incomes of top few percenters, the relatively wealthy people. Yes, for wealthy people costs may not be a problem. Not everyone is wealthy however.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

… making Mystic Coins cheaper would merely shift cost to another part of the item.

Also: Cheaper MC —> More legendaries crafted --> More high tier mats consumed —> Higher prices in other markets.

— means more money in the pockets of the poor who can sell a variety of different items not just coins to fund their gaming needs

— means other things are funded and higher prices spread out to even more items that can be sold by other people rebooting our economy

For instance most people have a desire for something that can or probably will be available through coins. Like people who like the idea of the holiday infusions who will either hoard for those or hope for new infusions for different holidays.

Then you have things like amalgated gemstone which since I have no desire to craft any of the new legends I’d be willing to part with easily. By spreading the cost to more items you know doubt hit junk items sitting around in peoples banks that they will no doubt sell and use that money to fund their own goals. Increased legendary production is a good thing for the economy not a bad thing the issue with mystic coins are their a focal point and used in too many things. Something as simple as a PVE Mystic Clover farm(PvP content already has a farm so you know Anet at least thought of this solution) would probably be enough to fix the price of Coins since it would lower the amount that are simply flushed for elder wood and other worthless items. The exchange of coins are for equal valued items is everywhere except for the rng nature of the toilet.

OriOri.8724

It is not about needing coins. It is about needing coins now. The game gives you coins for free. You can also get 1 a day and from the occasional daily. You can also get mystic clovers from the track.

No, it doesn’t. You people really need to start letting go of this notion that you can gather the coins you need yourself if you are just patient. If you want just 2 HoT legendary weapons, that requires a bare minimum of 500 Mystic Coins. With 20 guaranteed each month, assume (lets be extremely generous here) 5 MF dailies each month, that’s 25 guaranteed MC each month. At 500 needed as a bare minimum, this is almost 2 years worth of waiting to gather the coins yourself. That’t not acceptable to wait for 2 skins. It just isn’t.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

No, it doesn’t. You people really need to start letting go of this notion that you can gather the coins you need yourself if you are just patient. If you want just 2 HoT legendary weapons, that requires a bare minimum of 500 Mystic Coins. With 20 guaranteed each month, assume (lets be extremely generous here) 5 MF dailies each month, that’s 25 guaranteed MC each month. At 500 needed as a bare minimum, this is almost 2 years worth of waiting to gather the coins yourself. That’t not acceptable to wait for 2 skins. It just isn’t.

Play spvp or wvw, finish tracks which give clovers, profit.

Play any game mode, gather gold, buy mystic coins, profit.

Play the game, store mystic coins, craft legendary once you have enough coins, profit.

Yes, it is a simple matter of people wanting something NOW. There are multiple paths to success and they are not even mutually exclusive. Mystic Coins were specifically addresed by arenanet to give new players and players who do not need them a way to aquire extra gold. There are enough ways to bypass this bottleneck and since the price of HoT legendarys seems to be in line where arenanet wants it to be, there wouldn’t be any cost benefit in changing mystic coins.

Mystic Coins are fine at the current time.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

lets say 6 months is a reasonable time to get a legendary from scratch, so in that time you gained 150 coins simple from playing, so basically you need to earn a paltry 2 gold a day to buy those coins which takes minutes to earn. the issue is the modern ‘i want it now’ culture.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

ArchonWing.9480

You want 2 legendaries and you’re basically asking for a discount of 400 gold because you don’t want to wait. It’s flat out disingenuous to just call them “2 skins” because you know they’re not just skins.

Somehow I am being unreasonable.

There’s no option like waiting for a few months and buying the rest, and thus cutting on costs, or getting 1 a day https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_the_Ley-Line_Anomaly_to_disperse_its_destructive_energy_before_it_overloads

Let’s be generous and assume there’s no mystic coin dailies ever. You only do 10 of these events every month, for a total of 30. In 6 months, you have 180 coins. Now, let’s say you had the foresight to place an order for 70 coins for 85s and sit on it for 6 months That’s 59.5g. Repeat again for the 2nd one. This is assuming mystic coins are your bottleneck, to begin with.

I would say First World Problems but it would be trivializing them.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

— means more money in the pockets of the poor who can sell a variety of different items not just coins to fund their gaming needs

No, it doesn’t. The rate of MC and other material gathering is the same across groups of players, rich or poor. The money that people get from the TP is equal to what players put into the TP (ignoring the tax). So a player spending 500g on a project will have that 500g spread across those materials regardless of the individual material prices.

E.g. If the Buyer spends 100g on MC, and 400g on other mats, then the sellers get 500g. If the Buyer spends 50g on MC and 450g on other mats, then the sellers get 500g.

In fact, having MC at a higher price ensures that all sellers, regardless of their farming habits, have a good portion of the profit. It rewards people for just logging in.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There IS a method for a “hardworking” person to obtain more mystic coins, and the secret will blow your mind!

It’s this…

<drum roll>

Step one, do any dang thing you want in the game.

Step two, sell the loot you get for gold.

Step three, purchase mystic coins from the trading post for gold.

…and bam, your hard work got turned into more mystic coins! Magic!

Yes, I know, for whatever reason you think is entirely valid, “earn gold, buy coins” isn’t what you want to do. Either you want to directly farm them, for no really good reason other than “I prefer that”, or you imagine the farm will be less costly in terms of time than earning enough gold to get what you want.

…and it’s fine to say that, but seriously, don’t predicate your argument on “impossible” when it is absolutely, completely possible.

The problem with that advice is that more the people that follow it the worse it becomes.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The problem with that advice is that more the people that follow it the worse it becomes.

So far, the evidence doesn’t support that. Whenever someone tries to manipulate the market (e.g. by buying up the existing supply at 1-2 g), people with “extra” start selling off some of their supply and the price returns to the existing equilibrium.

It could be a problem in the future; I think we can wait to see if it becomes one rather than borrowing trouble.