Mystic Coin needs more supply

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

2. The chronomancer will be the only class using Alacrity – false.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It was the first profession to use it; I don’t remember any promise that it would be the only one. Do you have a source?

Look at this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-chronomancer-mesmers-elite-specialization/

The statement belongs to Robert Gee: “Chronomancy is the only specialization allowed access to this powerful effect[/b]”

And guess what? That was true when the statement was made. Things changed and now it’s no longer true. That doesn’t make it a lie or even misleading. It simply makes it a statement about the state of the game when the elite specialization was announced.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You misremember. First, this is exactly a “play as you want” situation: do any content you like; sell what you don’t need; use the coin to pay for the stuff you really want, including more coins than ANet gives us for free.

If this is how you like to play, is OK. But, I like another play style: Do any content you want, sell what you don’t need, gather MC as any other crafting material without waiting ANet mercy in the form of few coins per months. You can sell items/materials and buy MC – is OK, this is how you want to play. I want to be able to gather MC without buying. Why do you think you have the right to play the game as you want and I don’t have this right?

Sorry, you’ve still misremembered and misunderstood the comment. “Play as you want” never was intended to mean that you could do anything you wanted and get the same rewards. It was always a statement about people being able to do open world or dungeons and still be able to afford basics and some shinies.

We’ve never been able to kill world bosses to get dungeon armor. If you want to infuse rings, you need to do fractals.

So, no, there’s no Kormir-granted right to farm mystic coins. We get a lot for free; if we want more, we can buy them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

@Miellyn.6847 – please look at what the OP initially wrote:

jonemirant.1653

Mystic Coin’s prices have risen from 10 silver to over 1 gold since early 2016.

Unlike other materials which can be grinded (even Amalgamated Gemstone can be grinded), Mystic Coin has a very limited supply, namely:

1. Chance for 5 to 50 from Mystic Clover crafting

2. Common reward from bosses of the Nightmare Fractal challenge mode

3. Rewarded once a day from completing the Defeat the Ley-Line Anomaly to disperse its destructive energy before it overloads event.

4. 20 received through every 28 day login rewards cycle; 2/4/6/8 on the first day of every week.

And let’s be honest:

No.1 – strictly a gamble and unreliable
No.2 – most people lack skills/time/AR to do it
No.3 – don’t even know wtf is that, and it only gives 1 per day!
No.4 – takes a whole year to accumulate a full stack of 250!

Every method you wrote about was already analyzed by OP. The point of this post is to find other methods. More reliable and a little bit faster. Fast enough to complete once the items needing MC in less than 23 years (the time you need now to do the same thing by accepting that playing the game brings no rewards for you and your playstyle (‘Play how you want’. That never included all rewards for any content.) and waiting for ANet to give you the coins).

His 3rd point show that he isn’t interested in getting coins at all, those events and log in rewards award you the same number as the old system. Nothing changed. You get the same amount with potencial more.

Miellyn.6847
Miellyn.6847

You can not compare T6 materials and mystic coins.
Mystic coins are sololy used for convinience items as armor boxes, feast recipes or luxury skins like the elementalist weapons, legendaries or shoulder skins.
T6 materials are used for all T6 and T7 crafting recipes and legendaries.

Mystic coins are supposed to be a premium crafting material.

You can very well compare MC with the T6 mats. Both are used to craft legendary weapons, both are used to craft exotic weapons, both are used to craft WvW auras etc.
I can say that the quantities of MG are larger than T6 in crafting. A full set of ascendant armor cost you 30 T6. Less than MC needed for one food: Pot of Artichoke Soup = 47 MC. The food is not Ascendant. It is Masterwork tier.

So, why MC should be “premium crafting material” and T6 not? Do you have any valid reason?

Because the mystic forge skins are not ‘exotic items’. Those are prestige skins that come with a exotic item attached.

Feasts are convinient items. Same as armor boxes.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Actually the replacement would lead to the logic that if Artistole promised me a soda and didn’t deliver, then he is also lying about the Earth being round.

Yes, indeed. IF Aristotel promised you a soda, and didn’t deliver, he is indeed a liar. But do you want to tell us that indeed Aristotel, the greek philosopher/physicist/writer, dead over 2 000 years ago promised you a soda?

The question’s obviously rhetorical, that’s why there’s a theoretical if. If you can’t handle the theoretical idea of one of us coeexisting 2000 years ago, then replace him with John being a modern astronomer. I really don’t think Aristotle actually owns the idea anyway which means it’s kind of a moot point….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

You can actually earn more potenial coins per month than under the old system.
Old system:
- 20 coins monthly achievement
- 30 coins daily achievement
= 50 coins

Actual situation:
- 20 coins login rewards
- 30 coins ley anomaly
- mystic forger (3-4 times)
- daily 100 cm (1-3 coins, 3 chances, multiple coin rewards possible)
- chance from daily fractal chests
- chance from Fluctuating Mass (ascended material eaters)
= minimum 53 coins

Well, if you state you cant compare T6 materials with mystic coins then you also can’t compare the previous situation with the current situation. :P Because differences!

But seriously, maximum effiency comparisons rarely take into account how everyone plays. Could easily say that with the old system you can get 20 mystic coins by just playing a small amount while now playing the same amount would lead to only a handful.

On top of that, like you said you need nearly double the amount. So stretching it with scratching every single MC source for those 53 mystic coins while needing twice the amount, peoples ability to obtain enough for themselves is significantly limited. Plus limiting yourself to specific content.

I can see why people think it should change. It’s not designed to be fun, its designed to be rare. Which is fun for other people.

Personally also think its weird to have certain goals difficulty on a sliding scale based on the whims of a virtual market. When some price is rising it might feel like you have to do more effort for the same thing, and when its decreasing it might feel trivialized.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Cristalyan.5728

Cristalyan.5728

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Sorry, you’ve still misremembered and misunderstood the comment. “Play as you want” never was intended to mean that you could do anything you wanted and get the same rewards. It was always a statement about people being able to do open world or dungeons and still be able to afford basics and some shinies.

Can you link something to prove this interpretation of the statement is true? Because look at what Collin (at that time – 2013 – still at ANet) said: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

Collin Johanson: “To make playing in our open world worthwhile, we’ll make it rewarding enough for players to spend their time there across all levels. It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards.”.

The key words are : Be able to …. Play the way you want …. reach the most powerful rewards.
Not basic rewards, but the most powerful rewards

Illconceived Was Na.9781

And guess what? That was true when the statement was made. Things changed and now it’s no longer true. That doesn’t make it a lie or even misleading. It simply makes it a statement about the state of the game when the elite specialization was announced.

Well, in this moment that statement is a lie. You see, by following your logic, you can forgive a criminal who killed a person today, only because one week ago the same criminal had a clean record and was a honest person.
As I said – in this moment that statement is a lie.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So, no, there’s no Kormir-granted right to farm mystic coins. We get a lot for free; if we want more, we can buy them.

This is the entire point of this post – no right to acquire MC except the “right” to wait decades for ANet to give the MC to you, or the right to buy from TP.
At least I (and I think the OP also) consider this to be against GW2 spirit and vision. And with this post we are trying to find o way to correct the things.

Miellyn.6847

‘Play how you want’. That never included all rewards for any content.

What a relief :-)) I’m glad I found Collin’s statement, because that means your interpretation is false too.

In the end: MC is a crafting material. Treat them as any other crafting material. Let them drop from the open World. As the other materials.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

What a relief :-)) I’m glad I found Collin’s statement, because that means your interpretation is false too.

In the end: MC is a crafting material. Treat them as any other crafting material. Let them drop from the open World. As the other materials.

You still haven’t produced any need for them to do so. You can play how you want, trade what you get for MCs. You’re done; no need for a change to the system.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

The last time i made clovers was 70 clovers from 8 tries and the 7th try gave me 50 mystic coins so i can’t say there isn’t a method of aquisition lol.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Trying for Mystic Coins from the Clover recepie is practically garantueed to be a loss.
The Coin output from that is more a “here’s your bet back, you’re welcome to try again” thing.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Can you link something to prove this interpretation of the statement is true? Because look at what Collin (at that time – 2013 – still at ANet) said: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

Collin Johanson: “To make playing in our open world worthwhile, we’ll make it rewarding enough for players to spend their time there across all levels. It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards.”.

The key words are : Be able to …. Play the way you want …. reach the most powerful rewards.
Not basic rewards, but the most powerful rewards

I think you should reread the quote from Colin. He never says “play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”. At no point in time did anyone at ArenaNet ever suggest that all ways of playing would provide the same rate of rewards, simply that they would all be rewarding enough that you can eventually reach the most powerful rewards. That is primarily accomplished through selling the loot you get to buy the loot you want.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Cristalyan.5728

mtpelion.4562

He never says “play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”.

Can you show me where during my post I ever said “play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”. ? If you distort my words (you main a mesmer? ) even when quoting directly form Collin’s interview, I don’t think I have any chance to make you understand that all the supporters of a change in MC acquisition method dislikes this aspect: no matter how you play, you get the same amount of MC (because ANet gives an equal number of MC every month to any player.

Even if the number of MC can be slightly different due to RNG or the player being forced (play how WHO? wants) to do a certain content, taking into account the large number of MC you need, the result is almost the same: At the end of the month you have only a tinny fraction of the MC you need. And you are forced to buy. Or to wait over 20 years if you don’t want to buy.

So, a part of the players are not content with this "play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else” (in the same manner you are not content with this too) and they asked for a way to acquire MC by playing and not by waiting or buying.

By reading the posts you can understand that every single person writing here is aware that different amounts of effort means different amounts of reward. And nobody disagree with this.
Exception from this rule are the MC. No matter how much effort you invest, the reward is the same: 20-50 MC per month. So, in this matter, a lot of players (like you) are not happy with this " no matter how you play, you get the same reward as everyone else". And asked for a change.

Thanks for agreeing with us.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

He never says “play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”.

Can you show me where during my post I ever said “play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”. ? If you distort my words (you main a mesmer? ) even when quoting directly form Collin’s interview, I don’t think I have any chance to make you understand that all the supporters of a change in MC acquisition method dislikes this aspect: no matter how you play, you get the same amount of MC (because ANet gives an equal number of MC every month to any player.

Even if the number of MC can be slightly different due to RNG or the player being forced (play how WHO? wants) to do a certain content, taking into account the large number of MC you need, the result is almost the same: At the end of the month you have only a tinny fraction of the MC you need. And you are forced to buy. Or to wait over 20 years if you don’t want to buy.

So, a part of the players are not content with this "play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else” (in the same manner you are not content with this too) and they asked for a way to acquire MC by playing and not by waiting or buying.

By reading the posts you can understand that every single person writing here is aware that different amounts of effort means different amounts of reward. And nobody disagree with this.
Exception from this rule are the MC. No matter how much effort you invest, the reward is the same: 20-50 MC per month. So, in this matter, a lot of players (like you) are not happy with this " no matter how you play, you get the same reward as everyone else". And asked for a change.

You were disagreeing that playing any content you want, selling the rewards you get, and using the gold to buy Mystic Coins was a feature of “play how you want”, when the reality is that it is probably one of the BEST examples of “play how you want” since every player in the game has nearly identical access to Mystic Coin generation.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Next living story episode is coming in about a week

The reason I’m bringing this up is because
The first three maps all had farming in the way of map wide buffs that granted additional karma and exp for taking actions. Bloodstone had an EXP farm while the other two were karma farms. Lake Doric on the other hand had no farm buff but instead had a leather farm. Whatever you think about the leather farm it slowed the rapidly increasing price of leather without it the diparity between the mats would be much greater.

That said we can say every map had a farm and the leather farm is no doubt from community input. So the question remains what type of farm will be brought into the new map?

This topic exists just like the leather topic existed back then so I think it will effect MC but they don’t have to effect MC’s directly in order to change the situation. The map seems to have large creatures and a jungle like vibe so since PvP/WvW have a clover farm through tracks it only makes sense to have a clover farm for people who don’t like player vs player content. Maybe tons of tightly packed champions with a 10-30% chance to drop a clover or even a new world boss that drops a daily clover directly. As adding to the WB rotation would give the map longevity that the other new maps lack.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

mtpelion.4562

By your logic I should be able to RP in LA never doing anything else as a level 2 and be rewarded with Legendaries and other sought after items.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

mtpelion.4562

By playing in a manner that produces more gold I can get more MC. Increased effort does allow for increased rewards.

Cristalyan.5728

BlaqueFyre.5678

By your logic I should be able to RP in LA never doing anything else as a level 2 and be rewarded with Legendaries and other sought after items.

I don’t know if this is for me or for mtpelion.4562. If it’s for me, then look bellow:

1. “… all the supporters of a change in MC acquisition method dislikes this aspect: no matter how you play, you get the same amount of MC”
2. So, a part of the players are not content with this "play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”
3. “By reading the posts you can understand that every single person writing here is aware that different amounts of effort means different amounts of reward. And nobody disagree with this.”

It seems for you that I advocated doing RP in LA to be rewarded with Legendaries?

Ashen.2907

By playing in a manner that produces more gold I can get more MC. Increased effort does allow for increased rewards.

Sorry, but this debate is about MC and not about gold. Can you show me during this post when I complained about the quantity of gold I’m rewarded by playing ?
Nothing about gold. This is a topic about MC.
Again – if you like to farm gold in order to buy MC, is OK – this is “play how you like” for you. But I want acquire the MC directly and not by buying. This is “play how you like” for me. Why do you have the right to “play how you like” and I don’t have this right?

Ashen.2907

BlaqueFyre.5678

I don’t know if this is for me or for mtpelion.4562. If it’s for me, then look bellow:

1. “… all the supporters of a change in MC acquisition method dislikes this aspect: no matter how you play, you get the same amount of MC”
2. So, a part of the players are not content with this "play how you want and get the same rate of rewards as everyone else”
3. “By reading the posts you can understand that every single person writing here is aware that different amounts of effort means different amounts of reward. And nobody disagree with this.”

It seems for you that I advocated doing RP in LA to be rewarded with Legendaries?

Ashen.2907

Sorry, but this debate is about MC and not about gold. Can you show me during this post when I complained about the quantity of gold I’m rewarded by playing ?
Again – if you like to farm gold in order to buy MC, is OK – this is “play how you like” for you. But I want acquire the MC directly and not by buying. This is “play how you like” for me. Why do you have the right to “play how you like” and I don’t have this right?

I responded to a post in which you claimed that different amounts of effort produced the same MC. I pointed out that such is not the case. Greater effort can result in having a greater number of MC.

There is no “right” here. I have no right that you do not have.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A conversation involves at least two parties, who are willing to to accept the possibility that what others say might change their mind. At this point, one person refuses any interpretation of the facts other than what they decided ages ago.

This game allows everyone to obtain the most powerful items in the game, using a wide variety of techniques. Mystic coins are not needed for any of them, and yet ANet gives away over a stack of these to each account, allowing for those who want shinier items to buy from those who don’t.

I’d like a particular recent poster to accept this as part of the game, because it would allow them to enjoy GW2 more. Failing that, perhaps they should reconsider whether this is the best game for them, if something like using the TP is anathema to their preferred game style.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Ashen.2907

Your whole argument revolves around players playing as they like to achieve the same rewards, and used the quote from Colin:

“Collin Johanson: “To make playing in our open world worthwhile, we’ll make it rewarding enough for players to spend their time there across all levels. It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards.”.”

So if a player likes to only RP in LA thereby the entire basis of your argument they should be rewarded with the Most powerful rewards aka Legendaries, with out having play any other way besides RPing in LA because that is what they like.

And again Players can spend actual Effort and increase their Mystic Coin accrual rate.

Cristalyan.5728

Well, I will quote again the OP – just to make sure we are talking about the same subject:

jonemirant.1653

Mystic Coin’s prices have risen from 10 silver to over 1 gold since early 2016.
Unlike other materials which can be grinded (even Amalgamated Gemstone can be grinded), Mystic Coin has a very limited supply, namely:

1. Chance for 5 to 50 from Mystic Clover crafting
2. Common reward from bosses of the Nightmare Fractal challenge mode
3. Rewarded once a day from completing the Defeat the Ley-Line Anomaly to disperse its destructive energy before it overloads event.
4. 20 received through every 28 day login rewards cycle; 2/4/6/8 on the first day of every week.

And let’s be honest:

No.1 – strictly a gamble and unreliable
No.2 – most people lack skills/time/AR to do it
No.3 – don’t even know wtf is that, and it only gives 1 per day!
No.4 – takes a whole year to accumulate a full stack of 250!

As long as there is no consistent way to farm this like other materials:

1. players who need it will continue to buy it,
2. players who do not need it right away will not sell it because they know it will be more and more expensive and they may need it later; and
3. traders will buy flip it.

As you can see, the complain was about the lack of a consistent (reliable) way to farm this like other materials. The OP considers that being forced to buy from TP is inequitable and if you decide to not do this, the time you are forced to wait is aberrant.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A conversation involves at least two parties, who are willing to to accept the possibility that what others say might change their mind. At this point, one person refuses any interpretation of the facts other than what they decided ages ago.

This game allows everyone to obtain the most powerful items in the game, using a wide variety of techniques. Mystic coins are not needed for any of them, and yet ANet gives away over a stack of these to each account, allowing for those who want shinier items to buy from those who don’t.

I’d like a particular recent poster to accept this as part of the game, because it would allow them to enjoy GW2 more. Failing that, perhaps they should reconsider whether this is the best game for them, if something like using the TP is anathema to their preferred game style.

You have a sharp sense of auto-analysis and I admire you for the strength of admitting you were wrong. That means you finally read what the OP said and acknowledged that buying from TP should be not the main way of acquiring the MC?
Still your masked advice for the persons who don’t agree with this to leave the game is not beneficial for ANet. It seems that you felt that ANet’s efforts to wipe out the playerbase are not enough and actively started to help them.
Be carefull with the affirmation “Mystic coins are not needed for any (powerful item) of them, and yet ANet gives away over a stack of these to each account, allowing for those who want shinier items to buy from those who don’t.”
If someone from the raiding community hear this right now when Legendary Armor is almost in game …
BTW- i think you made a joke regarding the “allowance” needed from ANet to buy. I don’t think I need ANet “blessing” to buy something from TP.

Ashen.2907

I responded to a post in which you claimed that different amounts of effort produced the same MC. I pointed out that such is not the case. Greater effort can result in having a greater number of MC.

I think you are wrong here. The number of MC you can gain from playing and not buying is capped. So, no matter how much effort you invest you can have the same number of MC as another players (the max. number allowed by ANet). You can play for MC 300 hours per month. You will have the same number of MC (around 50) as a player playing only 15 hours per month for MC.

BlaqueFyre.5678

So if a player likes to only RP in LA thereby the entire basis of your argument they should be rewarded with the Most powerful rewards aka Legendaries, with out having play any other way besides RPing in LA because that is what they like.

Hm. When I bought this game the advertised game modes were: PvE, PvP and WvW. For these modes you have to kill monsters, complete quests, do events, discover maps. And none of these game modes rewards you with a Legendary as you ask. I don’t know how many monsters you can kill or how many events you can complete by playing the role of a statue for example, because I don’t RP. My only advice is to not do this in other places than the cities. You can be disconnected or, even worse you can be suspected of AFK farming.

But, by saying that I don’t RP I admitted that I don’t know very well the problems/issues for this game mode. You can open a new post asking to fix these issues.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Let see what else ANet said before:
1. HoT will contain a full set of legendary weapons – false

No, 7 months before HoT was dropped they said this:

For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working hard on new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

Same is true with Legendary Armors. All that was promised was work toward the precursor armor via Raiding.

It’s nice to see business relying on word play to mislead customers.

“I said there was no corpse in the trunk, I didn’t say anything about a skeleton.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working hard on new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates.

Same is true with Legendary Armors. All that was promised was work toward the precursor armor via Raiding.

“I said there was no corpse in the trunk, I didn’t say anything about a skeleton.”

What about “the first handful” is misleading?

Ashen.2907

The trading post is an integral part of the game. Trading with other players is part of playing the game. Sure you can choose to skip. It, as I skip SPvP for example, but that does not mean that it is not part of the game.

If you choose to not get more MC, that is your choice.

I, personally, btw, have managed to get some of the most powerful rewards in the game via purely open world gameplay, without spending MC.

Ascended weapons and armor are the most powerful items in the game.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Is there a reason you are ignoring the rest of the sentence?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I think its more about the concept in total rather than the popular approach of taking a few words and saying “but this little part of the paragraph is true/untrue” holding it up like it makes the whole issue disappear. Then again that is a common practice on these forums.

I think it was pretty much announced that there would be no full set at launch and the consensus was that the full set would be gradually released after launch. This was so much a consensus that Mike O himself made a post that they would hold off on legendary weapons indefinitely. Since then they continued it in a lesser form and upto now the full set is still not in the game.

Whether or not it’s reasonable to expect that all legendary weapons would be in the game 1 and a half years after the release is entirely subjective. It is however a fact that they intentionally didn’t say anything further on the subject because they weren’t sure how they would continue after release.

I doubt it’s a good business practice to make a release announcement with a bunch of might and maybes, and then take a fairly long time releasing the legendary weapons. Whether or not one would call that misleading is again subjective. I mean, some people, including myself, considered buying HoT is more of a season pass. And content that comes after includes Living Season 3 as well, even if that isn’t advertised at all.

It would’ve been, in hindsight, been a better plan to not release legendary weapons as part of the expansion.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Is there a reason you are ignoring the rest of the sentence?

Ok. What is misleading about what they said. They were pretty clear that we’d only get a handful right away with the expansion and more would come later.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

The trading post is an integral part of the game. Trading with other players is part of playing the game. Sure you can choose to skip. It, as I skip SPvP for example, but that does not mean that it is not part of the game.

If you choose to not get more MC, that is your choice.

I, personally, btw, have managed to get some of the most powerful rewards in the game via purely open world gameplay, without spending MC.

Ascended weapons and armor are the most powerful items in the game.

you are in fact correct, a lot of the game is designed for the trading post. I however still believe the trading post should have been designed for the game. The Trading post design sucks the fun out of the game and also slows down new item creation drastically.

Some examples? 7200 pieces of silk to make armor, cause trading post. how much ridiculous levels of candy was that halloween 2 recipe? Ridiculous amounts of materials for legendaries version 2, to clean up Trading Post inventory, and to hit an arbitrary gold value of legendaries at that time

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

you are in fact correct, a lot of the game is designed for the trading post. I however still believe the trading post should have been designed for the game. The Trading post design sucks the fun out of the game …

It’s my hope that “sucks the fun out of the game” is a statement about your personal experience and not a more generalized assertion. I find that the TP enhances my enjoyment of the game. I play whatever content I like, then if I gain things I don’t want I can easily sell them. The gold gained allows me to get things I do want.

I believe that the design intent was more along the lines of creating various content in the hope that people enjoyed playing it, with the TP as a means to allow players to gain some rewards that might not be available in their preferred content. It’s an unfortunate side effect of that design that those who prefer to play specific content until it grants the random reward drop may feel that some rewards which can be gained via the TP do not fit their image of how the game should be. Also, it’s worth noting that a lot more rewards are available as drops in specific content than was the case at launch.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

For what its worth, this thread was recently made on the subreddit about MC. People are still upset over MCs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/67wrzq/suggestion_increase_mystic_coins_from_ley_line/

There are some good ideas in there in my opinion. Namely:

• Increase coins handed out from Ley Line anomaly event. I’ve seen suggestions for 3, 4, and 6 coins for successful completion of the event
  • Add a guaranteed coin to TT chest. I personally love this one. It adds another source for them if people want to farm them, yet its still suitably difficult to achieve (I have experienced about a 66% fail rate when attempting TT. I’m still not sure if this is under average, above average, or average). Plus, adding incentive to TT chest might make the event easier to complete, by drawing more people (the failed runs I’ve been in have failed because not enough people who understood the encounter well enough to explain it to others were present).
  • Add a 3-5 coins to the chest for completing a daily dungeon

There may be more that I missed, but these stood out the most to me.

(edited by OriOri.8724)

phys.7689

you are in fact correct, a lot of the game is designed for the trading post. I however still believe the trading post should have been designed for the game. The Trading post design sucks the fun out of the game …

It’s my hope that “sucks the fun out of the game” is a statement about your personal experience and not a more generalized assertion. I find that the TP enhances my enjoyment of the game. I play whatever content I like, then if I gain things I don’t want I can easily sell them. The gold gained allows me to get things I do want.

I believe that the design intent was more along the lines of creating various content in the hope that people enjoyed playing it, with the TP as a means to allow players to gain some rewards that might not be available in their preferred content. It’s an unfortunate side effect of that design that those who prefer to play specific content until it grants the random reward drop may feel that some rewards which can be gained via the TP do not fit their image of how the game should be. Also, it’s worth noting that a lot more rewards are available as drops in specific content than was the case at launch.

so you think they did not design 7200 silk for ascended because they had too much silk in the economy? Or the price for halloween costumes? Or you think that teir 2 legendaries really need that amount of wood, because they just designed it that way first?

Nope, they have said that before they come up with a item/reward they have to run it through the economy guys to decide what costs they want it to have.

The TP should be a means for people to trade value between various tasks, but it has taken its own life, and now almost every item is based decision of, how will this effect the TP? How can this balance some tp values? etc.

To make it clear, im not saying everything has to be rare drops, i am saying the item design exists to feed and balance the TP, not based of what is a good game play design or incentive.

thats why you often get some ridiculous numbers on how many widgets you need for almost anything.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

so you think they did not design 7200 silk for ascended because they had too much silk in the economy? Or the price for halloween costumes? Or you think that teir 2 legendaries really need that amount of wood, because they just designed it that way first?

Nope, they have said that before they come up with a item/reward they have to run it through the economy guys to decide what costs they want it to have.

The TP should be a means for people to trade value between various tasks, but it has taken its own life, and now almost every item is based decision of, how will this effect the TP? How can this balance some tp values? etc.

To make it clear, im not saying everything has to be rare drops, i am saying the item design exists to feed and balance the TP, not based of what is a good game play design or incentive.

thats why you often get some ridiculous numbers on how many widgets you need for almost anything.

Sure, the in-game economy is a factor. However, it is not the only or even the main factor. The main factor is real economy. MMO developers need to keep people busy “playing” the game. After all, whether the MMO developer charges a sub or has a virtual store, player longevity is where the money is.

I believe that ANet’s original intention was that fun was to be the main focus of GW2. I also believe they were naive in believing that all MMO player demographics care primarily about fun. Once substantial numbers of players set them straight, they modified the game so that it took people a lot longer to achieve reward goals. You may recall there was a major issue with lack of long-term goals shortly after launch.

The problem is, while many players require long-term goals, many others want short-term gratification. The developer can try to give both what they want. However, it’s inevitable that some things put in as long term goals will be desired by some people who want short-term gratification. Mystic coins (whether supply is “low” or costs are “high”) are not a problem for players who don’t care if it takes longer to make virtual gewgaw X.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

This statement is essentially the same as “there is a lot of money in the economy and the banks are flooded with cash, you just happen to be poor.”

Not in the least bit actually, quite the opposite in fact. The supply is outpacing demand, which means the regulated and equalized income we all have is more than players use up.

Yes you can ofc trade excess volume, but you also gain it just from logging in, and everyone does that. It’s not like with RL cash where the richest 1% have 80% or so of the money, hence they make most of the income due to owning the money to generate income with.

By itself, the system in fact ruins someone stockpiling, unless demand increases. Slowly there’s less and less value in stockpiled mystic coins, as all players gain exactly the same share of new coins.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

phys.7689

Sure, the in-game economy is a factor. However, it is not the only or even the main factor. The main factor is real economy. MMO developers need to keep people busy “playing” the game. After all, whether the MMO developer charges a sub or has a virtual store, player longevity is where the money is.

I believe that ANet’s original intention was that fun was to be the main focus of GW2. I also believe they were naive in believing that all MMO player demographics care primarily about fun. Once substantial numbers of players set them straight, they modified the game so that it took people a lot longer to achieve reward goals. You may recall there was a major issue with lack of long-term goals shortly after launch.

The problem is, while many players require long-term goals, many others want short-term gratification. The developer can try to give both what they want. However, it’s inevitable that some things put in as long term goals will be desired by some people who want short-term gratification. Mystic coins (whether supply is “low” or costs are “high”) are not a problem for players who don’t care if it takes longer to make virtual gewgaw X.

making long term goals is part of game design, but the way they went about, is not based on game design. Halloween candy reqs was not based on how much candy a player could get playing halloween content, it was based on the extra candy in the economy.

7200 silk was based on the market at the time, not slowing down the process, whose speed was actually mostly controled by time locked globs of ectoplasm.

the design of elite items tends to be about doing the most easy mindless tasks repeatedly, mostly because the items they require are obtained that way.

this is because items are not designed in terms of rewarding game incentives, but rather as a means of balancing the economy. The TP is not where people trade for the percieved value of what they spent their time doing, but rather what the economy needs the value of various items to be.

for example, a long term goal in basketball might be winning a championship, video games that emulate this make you play 82 games, then win a tourney (playoffs). thats a long term goal, it involves doing the most entertaining thing the game has to offer. thats a long term reward built on the design of the game.

point is even if you have to add grind, how and where you add it matters, this game the grind often hinges on the Tp hitting its target values.