Mystic Forge suggestions for HOT

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: grizlo.5826

grizlo.5826

With Heart of Thorns in the works i figured this would be a good time to share my thoughts on changes to the terrible mystic forge system.

Runes and Sigils
- 4x green sigils or runes should make 1x random yellow rune or sigil.
- 4x of the same type of rune or sigil should make 1x upgraded version of that rune.
- All upgrades should have a very rare chance of giving you a further upgrades rune e.g. 4x green sigils can proc 1x exotic sigil.

Dyes
- 4x identified dyes should create 1x random unidentified dye.

Ascended Gear
- 4x uninfused rings should create 1x random infused ring.
- 4x same rings should create 1x infused ring of the same type.

Infusions
- Halve the material costs of ring infusions.

Lodestones
- 50x Piles of Bloodstone Dust + 50x Dragonite Ore + 50x Empyreal Fragment = 1-3 random lodestones.

Most changes still have RNG but they aren’t buried under multiple layers of RNG. Seriously whats A-nets obsession with that.

(edited by grizlo.5826)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

And, for the love of god, let us forge exotic sigils and runes.

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

Plz let us throw ascended rings into the forge for at least a chance at different stats or maybe a random infused ring!

Naz ©

Posted by: SpykePine.9516

SpykePine.9516

If you think about what the Mystic Forge was intended for, it does exactly it’s job. It exists to remove gluts of low-level resources from the game permanently, with the enticement of MAYBE getting something good. (It also has a secondary use of being outside the crafting system for specific recipes)

Sigils and Runes:
With that in mind, what you proposed wouldn’t work at all. Suddenly, low-level gear with desired end-path runes and sigils skyrocket in price (minor sigil of force level 20 gear goes from 10 silver where it is now to 20-30, who knows how high, minor rune of strength, etc). You would NEVER craft Superior Scholars runes if your method existed, until the gear that dropped them reached such a high price that salvaging them wasn’t worth it.

Dyes:
The dye recipe exists. It uses Rare Unidentified (Spectrum) Kits. Four of those = Unidentified Dye. It is expensive, but that’s the point of the Mystic Forge.

Ascended:
4 Rings should be Random Ring, with 20% chance of being Infused
4 Infused Rings should be Random Infused Ring

4 of the same Ring Infusing is meh. That’s 40 dailies. If you don’t have the mists, vials, etc to Infuse the ring yourself after 40 dailies, you just got hosed. Badly.

Lodestones:
No. It doesn’t make sense. You can already upgrade cores to lodestones anyway. Cores too expensive? Upgrade Shards into Cores (this is actually sometimes profitable for Charged Cores!)

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I can tell you that 4 minor runes/sigils will indeed give you a major one, but it’s at a low probability. I think the same rules apply for 4 majors to a superior.

What I would like to see changed, though, are the crests. They have stats at about the same level as runes, but you can’t even really give them away. As for throwing them into the forge, you can only throw in 4 of the same level and get another crest spit out in return. If they could be used in anything else, even salvaged for cloth scraps, I think it would be a benefit. At least for those items.

grizlo.5826

@SpykePine

The point of the mystic forge like all features of a game is to add to and or enhance the play experience of the game.
In its current form the Mystic Forge is very punishing and extremely low yield for the most part. If you consider the process for a minute you should be able to appreciate how low yield something like runes and sigils are. You find four random green sigils you put them into the mystic forge. From what i have read seems like about 20% is the probability of getting an upgraded one. So you have a 1/5 chance of getting an upgrade seems pretty low already. Considered then that even if you put 4 of the same sigils into the forge you still will only net a random sigil upgrade. Now there is 64 different sigils give or take a few holiday ones. You have a 1.5% chance of getting the desired sigil. This is of course only after you lucked out and got the 1/5 chance of getting an upgrade at all. This is of course not even taking into consideration the fact you have to do it all again four times to even be eligible for an exotic rune.
By removing the the 1/5 chance you still have a low percentage chance of getting the desired sigil you are seeking however you aren’t punishing players for using the feature in the first place. Would this see t3 sigils rise in price yes but the drop in t4 prices would be substantial enough to see an overall reduction in sigil prices full stop. As it stand currently outside of farming/buying gold and buying them there is no effective way to work towards a sigil/rune set goal. I also wonder how many people like myself just flat out ignore the Mystic forge and vendor all their runes and sigils as it still works out to be more profitable would then begin to utilize the mystic forge to work towards those goals. More people using and liking your feature is what you really want as a game designer.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

The suggestion for runes and sigils would actually break the market for superior runes and sigils. (Which is a very bad idea.)

grizlo.5826

The suggestion for runes and sigils would actually break the market for superior runes and sigils. (Which is a very bad idea.)

elaborate please? I actually don’t see how it would.

Lazaar.9123

Turning 4 major runes that are worth 4 silver each into the superior version worth 9 gold.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

And, for the love of god, let us forge exotic sigils and runes.

Even if it’s not forging, give us some use for them.

Look at all those racial damage sigils. Let us make damage potions out of them or something!

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

grizlo.5826

Turning 4 major runes that are worth 4 silver each into the superior version worth 9 gold.

How many sigils are worth 9 gold? the chances of getting that would still be pretty low.

grizlo.5826

9 gold sigisl become 4gold and 4 silver sigils become 20s. Sound like much better prices to me and a more diverse market…how is that a bad thing?

Lazaar.9123

How many sigils are worth 9 gold? the chances of getting that would still be pretty low.

One rune is 11g, one is 9g, one is 7g, One is 10g, One is 4g.
For sigils: One is 3g, one is 5g, one is14g.

As for the “chances of getting that would still be pretty low.”

Runes and Sigils
- 4x green sigils or runes should make 1x random yellow rune or sigil.
-4x of the same type of rune or sigil should make 1x upgraded version of that rune.
- All upgrades should have a very rare chance of giving you a further upgrades rune e.g. 4x green sigils can proc 1x exotic sigil.

grizlo.5826

How often do you get four of the same runes or sigil?

Lazaar.9123

9 gold sigisl become 4gold and 4 silver sigils become 20s. Sound like much better prices to me and a more diverse market…how is that a bad thing?

Yeah, it wouldn’t work out that way. Have you bothered even thinking about prices and implications before putting forward the suggestions? Or researching them?

Lazaar.9123

How often do you get four of the same runes or sigil?

Your words, not mine.

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

salvaging ascended gier
so one ascended ( ring, armor, weapon) one salvaging kit some mystic coins and wine
and u get ascended mats (letter,metal, wood or damask)

demoting mats

T6 mats → T5 mats
50 t6, dust, Salvage kit, mystic coin → 100 -250 t5 mats // Gossamer

4 random precursors → 1 random precursor

50x Piles of Bloodstone Dust + 50x Dragonite Ore + 50x Empyreal Fragment + anytyng→ anything

or
250x Dragonite Ore + salvaging kit + coins+ dust → random t5 or t6
250x Piles of Bloodstone Dust + SK+coins + dust → random t5 or t6
250x Empyreal Fragment + SK + coins + dust → random t5 or t6

Lazaar.9123

Lodestones
- 50x Piles of Bloodstone Dust + 50x Dragonite Ore + 50x Empyreal Fragment = 1-3 random lodestones.

People have those mats en masse, hello lodestone market crash.

grizlo.5826

Yeah, it wouldn’t work out that way. Have you bothered even thinking about prices and implications before putting forward the suggestions? Or researching them?

Actually quiet a lot of research actually I also have a degree in game design and work in the industry. So yeah I know a little bit about the subject matter.

Lazaar.9123

Actually quiet a lot of research actually I also have a degree in game design and work in the industry. So yeah I know a little bit about the subject matter.

Anyone can claim something like that. Also none of that necessarily means you know much about economics. And then the fact all your suggestions seem to be based off your own personal gain.

grizlo.5826

Really cant say i have ever seen anybody claim that before. Its all irrelevant as for whatever reason you approve of the current incarnation of the Mystic forge and cant be told otherwise. Id prefer to see this post get some more suggestion and not turn into more of a kittening contest that it already has become.

Lazaar.9123

Really cant say i have ever seen anybody claim that before. Its all irrelevant as for whatever reason you approve of the current incarnation of the Mystic forge and cant be told otherwise. Id prefer to see this post get some more suggestion and not turn into more of a kittening contest that it already has become.

So basically you refuse to take any criticism?

grizlo.5826

Not at all just not interested in being goaded into a circular and pointless argument.

Lazaar.9123

Not at all just not interested in being goaded into a circular and pointless argument.

All my feedback was constructive, as I showed you why they would not be a good idea, but you refuse to listen to such feedback.

grizlo.5826

I don’t remember asking for feedback… suggestions yes feedback no.

Lazaar.9123

I don’t remember asking for feedback… suggestions yes feedback no.

As soon as you post a suggestion you open yourself to feedback, whether you like it or not.

grizlo.5826

Sure but when you give your feedback and the other person tells you they are interested in it and just want to hear suggests from the community and you continue to press the point your just being argumentative and kind of a kitten.

Lazaar.9123

Sure but when you give your feedback and the other person tells you they are interested in it and just want to hear suggests from the community and you continue to press the point your just being argumentative and kind of a kitten.

Interesting, because before these latter posts of yours, you never mentioned you wanted only suggestions.

grizlo.5826

and yet here you are still pressing the point.

Lazaar.9123

and yet here you are still pressing the point.

Edit your post to match your intentions then?

grizlo.5826

Or let it go and be adult about it.

Lazaar.9123

Runes and sigils: Negative, explained

Dyes: Fine, not much price different and needs more sources

Ascended rings: Good idea, is needed

Infusions: Eh, could go either way.

Lodestones: Negative, explained why

Personal suggestions: Breaking down an unwanted unopened ascended armor/weapon chest into ascended materials

grizlo.5826

How would you tie your suggestion to the mystic forge?

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

A way to forge Giant Eyes would be nice.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

A way to forge Giant Eyes would be nice.

At least I’d like to see those dropping at all in the first place.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

That old Mad Kings Chest Recipe that allowed you to turn all these utterly useless booster into something else.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Mystic forge is not there to improve player experience. It’s there as a gold/item sink from the game. If you ask me, it’s doing a pretty good job.

The sigil change is just absurd. I’m getting like 10 rare sigils a day, so this will break the rarity of the sigils, which act as another money sink.

The lodestone is ridiculous. You can’t put cancer in the forge for a chance of 10 gold. Maybe shards.

Glorious Human Master Race