Mystic forge is quite disheartening...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

… these days.

Hey there, I wonder if, like me, you are one of these unlucky guy who seemed to be hated by the mystic forge.

I ran a test these past week involving exotic weapon level 80. It may not be a large number of test but here is what I had :

- Set 4 exotic weapon 80 in the mystic toilet : gain a bunch of exotic weapon with a level range between 75 and 79. 12 try (yeah absolutely no lvl 80 weapon)

- Set 3 exotic weapon 80 and a mystic stone : gain a bunch of exotic weapon with a level range between 75 and 79. 17 try (yeah absolutely no lvl 80 weapon)

- Set a mix of weapon with level range 75 to 80 : gain a bunch of exotic weapon with a level range between 75 and 79. 6 try (yeah absolutely no lvl 80 weapon)

- Set a mix of weapon with level range 75 to 80 and a mystic stone : Yeaaaah out of 13 try of this I had 1 level 80 exotic weapon.

- Set a mix of weapon with level range 75 to 79 : Out of 9 try I had 1 level 80 exotic weapon.

Well… All of that to ask if the dev could at least give some original skins to the level 75-79 exotic weapon because I’m starting to be fed up with the basics skins. (Or at least make it so if you use 4 lvl 80 exotic weapon you end up with a level 80 exotic weapon.)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Welcome to the wonderful world of gambling in online games.

It always sucks kitten

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: kamix.4713

kamix.4713

I love how it tends to attract you to try to make some money.
First time I’ve ever put 4 major runes I got sup rune of traveler. I said to myself – Lol this is ez money making!
So I went spending around 10g for major runes and I got – NOTHING !!

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

It helps if you don´t gamble with outright exotics.
I drop only rares and greens in there and it feels much “luckier”.

Already have a complete exotic armor set with an almost complete weapon set for my freshly leveled warrior, including some awesome runes and sigils, just by gambling with greens and rares. \o/

Needs lots of inventory space though, for the “4 of the same” rule.
A personal guild sure helps.

Polish > hype

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Trying to use the Mystic Forge to get the kind of exotic weapon you want is a loser’s game and will only bring you grief, as you’ve found out. As far as I’m concerned, the MF is only good for things like upleveling mats, making legendaries and legendary components, and such-like things.

Posted by: Nonoka.7028

Nonoka.7028

…and now do the same thing for a slot machine.
You will realise that the mf is nothing else – a slot machine. You put money in, sometimes a bit of it comes back, and once in a while you get a bit more back.
But you probably won’t get back the money you put in ever.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

OH RIGHT! And it´s also still buggy!
EVERY TIME I´ve thrown 4 medium armor shoulders in I got a light shoulder.

So there´s that too.

Polish > hype

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Making money on the Mystic Forge requires you to invest several thousand gold into the gambling or use the recipes with guaranteed results.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I’m ready for you to hate me on this one, but……

…yesterday I threw in 4 T3 Cultural weapons (Rare, Yellow) and out popped ZAP. I wasn’t even trying to unlock any Precurser, I was just trying to best rid of the skins I unlocked because the T3’s cannot be sold to a vendor or salvaged. At first it was “oh cool, an Exotic”, but upon closer inspection of the name and the little text mentioning it being a Precursor, I was ecstatic!

Been playing since launch and have only ever dumped about 500-600g worth of mats into the thing (before giving up on the Meteorogicus and going for the Immobulus instead). It’s just pure dumb luck, that is all.

Posted by: Ath.2531

Ath.2531

Op,

Your lack of understanding of numbers if what is causing you such disheartening.

The mystic forge is build around a model which has the disposition to be Unrewarding for small investments of gold or conversions.

At such low investments there is a very high variance between reward and failure. As the investment grows, the variance reduces and a statistic can be revealed. This is why so many people invest 500g and get nothing and sine get a precursor in 8 tries.

When you know the probability of a success our failure, you will no longer be upset by the rng

Commander Athrael ThunderBorn
GM of Crew of Misfits (CoM)
Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, I do not care a lot about result, I’m just sadened because 4 exotic lvl 80 end up with a lower level exotic.

You know, at the point where i am in the game I only seek skins. The reason why these exotic weapon goes to the mystic toilet is because I do not need them anymore since I have their skin. And it’s better if I don’t say which weapon have gone to the toilet, some of you would be even more disheartened by what I’ve done. (Anyway, since i unlocked their skin they end up account bound)

My point here, is that it’s a pity to see that 4 exotic lvl 80 end up giving a low level exotic. This is totaly unrewarding and unpleasant.

NB.: I’m not seeking a precursor. First, I’ve already made 5 legendary and when I want a precursor I buy it (1 dropped, 1 forge and 3 bought). Second, I’m not the type of guy that want to make money fast, money come as I play, it’s more than sufficient.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

When Zommy first started dropping sub-L80 exotics, it was actually good for the bottom line, good for wardrobes, and good for the community. Some of the L70+ exotic skins were quite valuable (due to the wardrobe system) and some included decent, salvageable upgrades. It also expanded the pool of potential drops, so it wasn’t always the same 3-6 of each weapon type.

A year later, a lot of us have those skins, the TP value has dropped considerably (for all exotics, not just these), and, sure, it’s disappointing to get something less valuable back from the forge.

But that’s not new. At other forging tiers, you can get back stuff that’s worth a lot on the TP or soulbound karma items.

I don’t love getting sub-L80s back from the forge, but it’s not that big a deal really. It only happens with exotics and the loss of value only affects those gambling; I think it’s fair that high reward (chance of precursor) comes with high risks (chance of boring L70 skins).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

It was supposed to be a work in progress. It just seems that “progess” stopped, which tbh isn’t that much of a surprise given their track record.

Serenity now~Insanity later