NEW CLASS/WEAPON IDEAS? To fit new races?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CorvusofMorlich.8450

CorvusofMorlich.8450

What with the tendency of people around about now to talk about new playable races, me and a friend were talking about potential new classes to go along with any new races they decide to add.

We started thinking about what needed covered and there really wasn’t much we could think of, so we began going through new weapon ideas to see if classes could be based around any we could come up with.

One idea which interested me was of a boomerang type weapon.

Skills 1-5 applied traits to the weapon with a theif/necromancer/warrior type bar being strapped to F1.

F1 would fire the weapon and depending on how many traits you applied, the metre would go down, acting as a cooldown for releasing further powered up shots.

For example, using skill 1 would apply a fire fuel to the boomerang. You’d press F1 and it would be shot at the enemy and apply burning as well as dealing damage. Since only 1 effect had been applied to the boomerang, the metre would only go down a little.

If, say, you’d applied all 5 skills (fire fuel, barbs for bleeding, chilling fuel, poison and something like vines for binding), the metre would go down entirely and you’d have to wait for it to be recharged enough to use again at one of 5 stages: 1 for a single skill, ranging to 5 for all of them.

I quite liked it and it spun on to go into other weapon ideas and therefore more classes. Say a blend between Ranger and Theif, Tengu-style, able to use this weapon, dagger, axe, sword and shortbow or something?

I’d be interested in hearing more ideas anybody could come up with.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

When quaggans are a playable race, they won’t need weapons. Their teeth and claws are inherent melee class weapons. Quaggan Thief FTW!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: CorvusofMorlich.8450

CorvusofMorlich.8450

The Dragons stand no chance! I’d love to see Primordus rise with a wee Quaggan backpack.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

While new races are out of the question, I would like a boomerang-type thing too.

Several times, I have wished for a version of the Glaive from Krull:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k_5bgtZ4QSY/UV70xvBt7UI/AAAAAAAAASM/dVdCnqiZLQA/s1600/the-glaive.jpg

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

While new races are out of the question, I would like a boomerang-type thing too.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k_5bgtZ4QSY/UV70xvBt7UI/AAAAAAAAASM/dVdCnqiZLQA/s1600/the-glaive.jpg

That’s not a glaive. Whatever the video game industry/your favorite fantasy fiction might tell you, a glaive isn’t a throwing weapon. But don’t let my pet peeves rain on your parade.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

In Krull, it is named The Glaive. Hence the capitalisation

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

We’ve had a lot of these threads since launch.

But they didn’t really go anywhere.

If you really want to see you idea come to fruition, instead of spitting ideas out here: put in an online application to work for Anet.

Devs have to consider time, development costs, scheduling, technical limitations, balance and all sorts of mess that could stretch over a year because of the idea droughts and other hiccups as well as “issues already in the game” they have to deal with. Not to be faced with the fact that the new ideas will have to mesh with everything that’s currently in the game now.

Anet probably has nowhere near the amount of resources to do this lol.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

That’s not a glaive. Whatever the video game industry/your favorite fantasy fiction might tell you, a glaive isn’t a throwing weapon. But don’t let my pet peeves rain on your parade.

i would actually much prefer an actual glaive. polearms ftw.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: BlizzShark.5410

BlizzShark.5410

Thiefs with The Glaive would be amazing

[PTF] BlizzShark | Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Pull the archer out of the ranger and leave the pet.. Bam. New class.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Doesn’t seem like folks understand ongoing software development…

Maybe something interesting with races and weapons will happen once GW2 reaches half-life.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

That weapon is called a shiruken and is basically a larger version of a throwing-star. A glaive is a pole arm style weapon with a sweeping curved blade on the end. Basically, a spear with a sword on the end of it. There are versions like the halberd that have an armor-piercing tip with a less prominent blade but glaives are used in a bo-staff sweeping kind of manor.

(edited by Tman.6349)