NO Expansion confirmed by Mike O'Brien

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

from Guild Wars 2: Mike O’Brien Interview.

Posted by: Pacifica.9576

Pacifica.9576

This really wouldn’t bother me as much if they would explain how they’re going to put “expansion features” in the game. Will zones come in living story updates? Races? Right now its not that their atypical content flow is bad, its that their communication of how it replaces traditional content flow is bad

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Please link source. Thanks

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Assyrian.4827

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Here is the link to the actual interview: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32955&storypage=2

Page 2 speaks of the expansion point.

They asked him if LS replaces expansions and he said yes in a general sense. He did not however say that there never will be an expansion.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Pacifica.9576

Here is the link to the actual interview: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32955&storypage=2

They asked him if LS replaces expansions and he said yes in a general sense. He did not however say that there never will be an expansion.

Right, I read that part, but my point is that while he uses southsun cove as an example, southsun itself isnt worthy of being called an expansion zone. It is a great zone, but I don’t think, for example, the crystal desert or far shiverpeaks could be added in one update like this. Would they split up these larger areas into a zone per release? How would they add something like Orr- a lair of a dragon, in an update?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

We’ve known this forever.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

This is nothing new which we have known for a while from other interviews they are focused on living world and not on expansions right now

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Right, I read that part, but my point is that while he uses southsun cove as an example, southsun itself isnt worthy of being called an expansion zone. It is a great zone, but I don’t think, for example, the crystal desert or far shiverpeaks could be added in one update like this. Would they split up these larger areas into a zone per release? How would they add something like Orr- a lair of a dragon, in an update?

I don’t work for Anet, so I have no idea how they want to do it, but they are not necessarily looking into adding new zones necessarily so the answer may be that they are not going to do that at all. But again, I wouldn’t know, I am only saying that the OP is not correct in his conclusion.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

A lot of companies have moved away from expansions and have used DLCs instead.

Anet is using a more active “alive” content rather than a static DLC.

Not to mention, free contents, although limited time use only, it’s still free.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Fine, now can you actually start releasing content that isn’t waypointing across the map collecting #$%^ for X npc? If you’re not releasing an expansion, at least release somethings you’d see in an expansion and that ghost island called Southsun Cove isn’t one.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Pacifica.9576

I don’t work for Anet, so I have no idea how they want to do it, but they are not necessarily looking into adding new zones necessarily so the answer may be that they are not going to do that at all. But again, I wouldn’t know, I am only saying that the OP is not correct in his conclusion.

That’s interesting, I wonder if it’s feasible to only develop the existing world by putting new stuff in existing zones

Nuka Cola.8520

There’s nothing alive about their content when with every patch its essentially the same freaking thing for 6-7 months… If this was released as DLC, its anet that should be paying me to ‘experience’ their chore quests with unskippable cutsceens.

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

There’s not going to be an expansion because they’ve wasted all their development resources on LS. This has been obvious.

Assyrian.4827

if you read it again there is that part where Mike say about changing the enemies you fight but on same content.
and we have seen this with LS already.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

There’s nothing alive about their content when with every patch its essentially the same freaking thing for 6-7 months… If this was released as DLC, its anet that should be paying me to ‘experience’ their chore quests with unskippable cutsceens.

Oh it was “alive” alright…then it dies a couple of weeks later (that’s why alive is in quotations).

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Nuka Cola.8520

Oh it was “alive” alright…then it dies a couple of weeks later (that’s why alive is in quotations).

True, except that lively thing was as alive as zombie. Then that zombie got tactical nuked after two weeks and disappeared completely.

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Yeah, this doesn’t seem like a “No, we’ll never do expansions” kinda answer to me.

Assyrian.4827

Yeah, this doesn’t seem like a “No, we’ll never do expansions” kinda answer to me.

the way I understand it is :
As long there is LS there will be no expansion.

Posted by: Genreninja.8516

Genreninja.8516

There’s not going to be an expansion because they’ve wasted all their development resources on LS. This has been obvious.

Incorrect, On numerous occasions they have stated they have 4 Living Story Teams as well as a couple much larger teams, working much larger projects that have not been announced yet. They have plenty of resources being dedicated to things other than LS.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Where you say free, others do not. A lot of people spend more money on the gem store per month than a “traditional subscription fee”. Some people get lured in and hooked onto the RNG (Same as the pokies/gambling). Look at the amount of overly expensive RNG skins that have been in the gem store, they cost anywhere over $50 to get, IF YOU EVEN GET IT, amongst things like flutes at $10 each.

I’d pay for an expansion, but not those garbage items on the gem store.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I think the team that currently is working on the china GW2 version will be working on an expansion too.Maybe when they release it in china will start working on an expansion then.That is my personal opinion.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

My concern is will we get better content (more RPG elements, deeper gameplay elements, better NPC’s, etc.) without an expansion?

While it’s true, there’s nothing they can’t do that needs an expansion, the game needs a lot more than just farming event of the week living story content or more mini games we’ve been getting so far.

Nuka Cola.8520

Where you say free, others do not. A lot of people spend more money on the gem store per month than a “traditional subscription fee”. Some people get lured in and hooked onto the RNG (Same as the pokies/gambling). Look at the amount of overly expensive RNG skins that have been in the gem store, they cost anywhere over $50 to get, IF YOU EVEN GET IT, amongst things like flutes at $10 each.

I’d pay for an expansion, but not those garbage items on the gem store.

amen

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

No expansions. Instead, you’ll get LOADS of living story.

Arenanet, I’d pay for an expansion. Id pay 50 dollars for an expansion. If it meant meaningful content rather than the stuff we have been getting all year.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

This should help.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

Incorrect, On numerous occasions they have stated they have 4 Living Story Teams as well as a couple much larger teams, working much larger projects that have not been announced yet. They have plenty of resources being dedicated to things other than LS.

And you believe that? They probably have a few vague ideas of what they want to do next, but the proof is in the pudding. They didn’t even know until now whether or not they planned on having expansions! Don’t you think if they actually had anything they would have thought harder about how they were going to release it?

My guess is that the LS was mildly successful so far but a lot of people want more permanent content(which they say they’re working on) and they haven’t really started this on a large scale quite yet so it might be awhile. They have started working on new skills and maybe some “mini-zones”, but I don’t think we’ll see any new classes for a long while(if ever), or more than 1 new area released at a time.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Unfortunately, the content of the interview does not live up to OP’s title. Nowhere is there a commitment to no expansions. I was excited that there might be a commitment to no expansions, but you won’t find one in this interview.

Posted by: Moderator.9205

Moderator.9205

Hi,

Since we already have an identical thread here, we’ll now close this discussion and invite you to post your feedback on the one linked above.

Thank you for your understanding.