NPCs blocking key services (AH, Banks, etc)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Garm.9750

Garm.9750

There are numerous NPCs in the game that don’t serve any purpose other than creating illusion of a living world. Which is fine for the most part, especially when they have something to say (dialogue).
However some of them are unnecessary, and even more than that — they are nuisance. I’m talking about NPCs which wander around banks and auctions, sometimes preventing the player from actually using the service by blocking it with the “Greet” option.

It’s not big issue for sure, but for me personally it’s getting more and more annoying. These NPCs don’t even really serve their purpose since real players actually use these services, therefore there’s little need for such NPCs. So I can’t be the only one, right?

Anyway, the simple solution for that would be disabling the “Greet” option for such NPCs. They would still wander around, but would not cause interference. Win win.

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

Aye, there’s one at Lion Arch bank whose sole mission in life seems to be to stroll up juuuuust as I press F to interact with bank.
Every.
Single.
Time.
=_=

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

This!!!

It makes sense for them to gather where players are not likely to go, fine. But why gather in front of the bank and TP? Has nobody at anet realized enough players will be there anyway?

Garm.9750

Aye, there’s one at Lion Arch bank whose sole mission in life seems to be to stroll up juuuuust as I press F to interact with bank.
Every.
Single.
Time.
=_=

The norn guy?

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Yep, they’re just in the way.

It’s already bad enough that some trolls lay down box ‘o funs around those vendors or bank services. But npcs shouldn’t be the ones to cause any interference with a simple pit stop to the bank or TP. I’d say either silence them (remove “Greet”) or alter their path cycle.

It shouldn’t be too demanding or too difficult/tedious to do.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

Every.
Single.
Time.
=_=

The norn guy?

To be fair… there’s a gaggle of people: villager, local, citizen, sailor, technician and so on. Male female, norn, human or asura usually. But they aaaalways cuddle up to banker so they disappear in the horde of players standing there.

I hope a chunk of Jormags blue ice hit’s them in the head!

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Couldn’t agree more. There’s almost always one inside the tp or at the bank when I go there.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I was contemplating making this thread earlier because I kept running into Bear Shamans and Krewe Members whils trying to interact with the BL Traders in LA. You beat me to it and wrote a better thread than I would’ve managed

+1 OP

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, I don’t know why it wouldn’t prioritize the more critical function.

Either that or let me kill the NPC =p

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

The ones at the trading post are the worst….

Why?

Some ambient npc townsperson with no dialogue should not even have the interact option with the F key, especially when they park themselves infront of an npc you actually do want to interact with.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

+1 to the OP. These NPC’s added life to the scene before mega servers. They are no longer needed now.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

What I don’t like is the dialogue near the Mystic Forge. Ever since the 00s media seems to have become too self-aware of itself. “I saw an asura throw thousands of swords into the Mystic Forge! Zommoros must be armed to the hilt in blood vials and weapons by now!” or something.

It’s funny when you and a friend make fun of something and laugh about it, or a parody medium deconstructs something like Spaceballs or Family Guy Star Wars episode did. It isn’t funny however if in a Star Wars movie the characters themselves are aware of certain plot holes or other audience observations, or Batman being criticized for being a weirdo for dressing and acting the way he does in-universe. Leave the deconstruction to the fans and parodies.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What I don’t like is the dialogue near the Mystic Forge. Ever since the 00s media seems to have become too self-aware of itself. “I saw an asura throw thousands of swords into the Mystic Forge! Zommoros must be armed to the hilt in blood vials and weapons by now!” or something.

It’s funny when you and a friend make fun of something and laugh about it, or a parody medium deconstructs something like Spaceballs or Family Guy Star Wars episode did. It isn’t funny however if in a Star Wars movie the characters themselves are aware of certain plot holes or other audience observations, or Batman being criticized for being a weirdo for dressing and acting the way he does in-universe. Leave the deconstruction to the fans and parodies.

Since Zomorros is an actual Guild Wars 2 NPC who speaks to Miyano whenever he wants to and occasionally to others (presumably other NPCs) and the neighboring NPCs would see player chars throw thousand of weapons in the MF, why wouldn’t they comment on it?

Zommoros is a djinn hailing from Elona, imprisoned within the Mystic Forge. He tends to speak through Miyani, rarely granting an audience to anyone else. He speaks firsthand of ancient times, claiming to remember when the world was emptier and the continents were a different shape. He is also familiar with various exotic races few land-dwellers know of, such as the karka and largos, the former he knows from the ancient past.
Although he is imprisoned in the Mystic Forge, the forge itself is able to be moved, and he can change the forge’s appearance when he feels festive for holidays.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Yeah “GREET”

I dont want to greet every bonehead in town blocking my way to the banker.
I want to strike them with my GreatSword.

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Since Zomorros is an actual Guild Wars 2 NPC who speaks to Miyano whenever he wants to and occasionally to others (presumably other NPCs) and the neighboring NPCs would see player chars throw thousand of weapons in the MF, why wouldn’t they comment on it?

Zommoros is a djinn hailing from Elona, imprisoned within the Mystic Forge. He tends to speak through Miyani, rarely granting an audience to anyone else. He speaks firsthand of ancient times, claiming to remember when the world was emptier and the continents were a different shape. He is also familiar with various exotic races few land-dwellers know of, such as the karka and largos, the former he knows from the ancient past.
Although he is imprisoned in the Mystic Forge, the forge itself is able to be moved, and he can change the forge’s appearance when he feels festive for holidays.”

True, but the idea that one unremarkable individual in the fantasy world just happens to have literal thousands of weapons to throw away does break immersion a bit.

I mean, if we have to acknowledge the amount of crap that gets thrown in as cannon and not simply a game mechanic beyond the forth wall then we also have to acknowledge the fact that it’s a trivial task to assemble that many materials.

Where did it all come from? Are the zombies in Orr literally endless or are there simply billions of them to supply the massive amount of T6 mats that go in the forge?

It’s the same reason that acknowledging the existence of way points was a bad idea.

If they exist, then why does anyone walk anywhere at all? Why did we have to invade Orr? Why not simply air drop a WP at the entrance to Arah and port in the entire army? There’s a few instances where NPC’s refer to gold coins at a much smaller value than they have for players so cost is a non-issue.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve learned not to press [f] when the prompt is “Greet”.

(That’s a lot cheaper for ANet and does not require me to hold my breath waiting for better NPC AI.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Garm.9750

I’ve learned not to press [f] when the prompt is “Greet”.

(That’s a lot cheaper for ANet and does not require me to hold my breath waiting for better NPC AI.)

Well, that’s something we all have to do. However ANet doesn’t have to do anything with AI, they just need to to disable “greet” option for NPCs that have no dialogue options, there are such NPCs out there.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Just… remove.. those .. npcs… ANet… or, as somebody else suggested, let us kill them. I can see other players trying to. I’m not the only one slowly being driven insane.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s the same reason that acknowledging the existence of way points was a bad idea.
If they exist, then why does anyone walk anywhere at all? Why did we have to invade Orr? Why not simply air drop a WP at the entrance to Arah and port in the entire army?

THAT is exactly what I was pondering. Why don’t npcs use waypoints? Why aren’t the risen hordes invading LA via wp’s? Why do we need to protect doylaks carrying goods between villages if those goods could be wp’d? Yes, when game mechanisms are acknowledged it opens a can of worms.

After a while, a person goes nuts and starts inventing in-game reasons for these things – maybe the wp network is designed not to allow risen through. Maybe only sentient beings, and not doylaks, can use wp’s. Maybe the npcs have an aversion to it like McCoy in that Star Trek episode where he argued that the teleporter kills your original self and creates a copy at the other end? Maybe.. maybe..

And then you go even crazier and start asking things like: where’s all the food coming from? There aren’t enough crops or feed animals to be found anywhere that would support the population. Why are there so few children? Why no parents with strollers in Divinity’s Reach. Is the population declining? Why do so many of the people look the same? Why is there no petty crime? Why no public toilets? Why don’t the npcs notice they’re stuck in a perpetual ground-hog day, repeating the same events over and over…? Omg. What if they do know and they’re in on it? What if it’s all a crazy experiment and we’re the subjects..?!? What if the illuminati—

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

The ones at the trading post are the worst….

Why?

Some ambient npc townsperson with no dialogue should not even have the interact option with the F key, especially when they park themselves infront of an npc you actually do want to interact with.

Kittening this.

They can say hi if they want, so long as they don’t interrupt me, but i don’t want to talk to them and i’m never going to. Giving them an interact option is a serious oversight.

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

+1 to this idea. Maybe making “greet” the most unimportant option would be an idea instead of completely removing it. Too many times I’ve gone to loot a body with an NPC follower, and too many times I’ve greeted them instead of looting the body (LOOKING AT YOU BRAHAM!). It’s not just an issue with banking and TP access.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Garm.9750

It seems this thread was flooded away by the latest event threads, and I really want to bring AN attention to this thread.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It seems this thread was flooded away by the latest event threads, and I really want to bring AN attention to this thread.

It’s about 10 at night there. I imagine even Gaile has left and gone home.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Garm.9750

It’s about 10 at night there. I imagine even Gaile has left and gone home.

Well, I started the thread 5 days ago and it seems there are quite few people who have the same problem as I do.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Additionally, all NPCs that do not serve any in-combat mechanic function, such as the LS2-Golem Companion shall be made so that they will not present their interaction-F prompt at all to players that are in combat.

It is very very annoying when they pop you their dialogue window into the face when you were trying to pick up somthing important to the fight mechanic or just wanted to spam F-autoloot around.

It isn’t such a big issue, but cases of death NPC-chat-window have occurred once in a while.

Posted by: Kitten Commander.8952

Kitten Commander.8952

There’s a pirate (?) I keep running in to in the LA main bank area. So instead of the Trading Post window I get “MORE BEER!” which is… well, annoying yes, but also kind of immersion breaking given how out-of-context it is. Unless he’s buying beer I guess. But really, it sounds like he’s an NPC that’s supposed to be at a bar. :p

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I always go to the southmost bank stop when I’m in LA. Further up, there’s an NPC blocking the way, spouting some tired Sylvari nonsense. It’s worth the extra few steps to get away from it.
My major gripe is when craft masters are too close to the craft stations. I try to do some crafting, but nope, apparently I have to buy something instead.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

My major gripe is when craft masters are too close to the craft stations. I try to do some crafting, but nope, apparently I have to buy something instead.

Not only that, but the actual area you have to stand in to get the craft option is too small.

They put in this giant forge with tools and a anvil, in this nice open space, and they have us standing on top of each other to craft

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Theres a few npcs blocking stuff in WvW like workers on depots and some on a few cannon spots.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.