NPCs see right through stealth

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Stealth doesn’t break combat and CM npcs see and attack straight through it… was it your intention to destroy thieves?

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Stealth does not break combat. Getting out of the roaming area of an enemy will break combat and stealth may help you do that.

Stealth does not prevent any attack. Stealth prevents targeting. The enemy can still attack you if it doesn’t need a target, if it attacking an area, or if it starts an attack with you targeted before you use stealth.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

The enemy can still attack you if it doesn’t need a target, if it attacking an area, or if it starts an attack with you targeted before you use stealth.

You’re missing the point. Some enemies can attack you even when you are stealthed, without having to use AoE. A good example is Veteran Archer in WvWvW mode. You can stealth, and they will just keep firing arrows at you. Being stealthed doesn’t prevent them from targeting you, and it also doesn’t appear to prevent them from commencing new attacks. So, stealth appears to do absolutely nothing against them except for blow your cooldowns.

I don’t know if this is a bug or if the archers just have eyes like hawks. But, stealth seems to do nothing against them. There are a few other enemies in the game who seem to ignore stealth, as well.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Stealth used to break combat, but they changed that ages ago so monsters still know where you are and will start attacking you again when it ends.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The enemy can still attack you if it doesn’t need a target, if it attacking an area, or if it starts an attack with you targeted before you use stealth.

You’re missing the point. Some enemies can attack you even when you are stealthed, without having to use AoE. A good example is Veteran Archer in WvWvW mode. You can stealth, and they will just keep firing arrows at you. Being stealthed doesn’t prevent them from targeting you, and it also doesn’t appear to prevent them from commencing new attacks. So, stealth appears to do absolutely nothing against them except for blow your cooldowns.

I don’t know if this is a bug or if the archers just have eyes like hawks. But, stealth seems to do nothing against them. There are a few other enemies in the game who seem to ignore stealth, as well.

Define firing arrows.

If they’re using rapid fire and you stealth mid way I don’t think that’s.. Too unfair?

I ? Karkas.

Sokia.3710

If they’re using rapid fire and you stealth mid way I don’t think that’s.. Too unfair?

It’s not rapid fire.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This has been a bug or a design flaw for about 7-8 months now. I first noticed it on my thief that long ago. The enemies will be in the middle of casting a spell that typically is ground targeted or they started a long attack like bows firing multiple shots. Now typically in the past as a thief you could stealth go around behind them and get hit only minorly because they couldn’t see you, NOW however they follow you no matter where you run they still are targeting you and they don’t bother to leash back most of the time. This happens also mind you if you blind them when stealthing, a trait I’ve always used.

Part of the point I think people are making about this is this….if a warrior and shout his way out of a fight or a lock can slow people by using bugs then this defense mechanism for a thief should work properly, and before some numbskull gets on here and says something foolish about it remember, it is disorienting to suddenly lose track of your target, IE flash grenades.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

I can second that packs of mobs in CM do appear to continue to follow you in stealth.

| Lithia |

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Stealth should, in my mind, break targeting AND any channeled skills. If I’m running forward and being hit, then stealth and run in another direction, there should be NO BLEEPING WAY I should still be getting hit, right??? Even on an theme and immersion basis, it should just be that way.

Let’s call it out, Ranger Rapid Fire was and Warrior Kills shot were and still are the biggest offenders in this regard. Basic combat flaws like this should be way up on the list of bugs/issues to fix in game. For my thief, the conflicting “mug” and “stealth and steal” trait bug should be fixed too.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Stealth should, in my mind, break targeting AND any channeled skills. If I’m running forward and being hit, then stealth and run in another direction, there should be NO BLEEPING WAY I should still be getting hit, right??? Even on an theme and immersion basis, it should just be that way.

Let’s call it out, Ranger Rapid Fire was and Warrior Kills shot were and still are the biggest offenders in this regard. Basic combat flaws like this should be way up on the list of bugs/issues to fix in game. For my thief, the conflicting “mug” and “stealth and steal” trait bug should be fixed too.

I’ll agree with channeled skills that require a target to channel.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Im not sure what you guys are doing but Ill try it tonight I guess.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

From the wiki (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth)
“Hostile NPCs will stop attacking if their target goes in stealth, although they will not lose their accumulated aggro towards the target and the stealthed character won’t immediately break away from combat.”

But, this doesn’t normally apply to ranged opponents. Its not just CM NPC’s go into WvW, those scouts hit you hard even after u stealth away. This may have something to do with ‘accumulated aggro’. But its something that I’ve lived with for the past year. I’ve noticed a while ago, that ranged NPC’s tend to target players with lower armor/toughness so I wait for another player to hit them first or avoid them altogether while focusing on melee targets.

Stealth is only 1 tool in the thief’s bag-of-tricks, when one fails, use another. I combine stealth, shadow-stepping and the many evasion skills to deal with the NPC’s that see through my stealth. Its great practice for PvP too, so I don’t mind it much.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t know about anyone else, but it was very annoying when I’d use Hide in Shadows while fighting mobs and having 80% dead mobs reset, leash and regenerate.

Sokia.3710

I don’t know about anyone else, but it was very annoying when I’d use Hide in Shadows while fighting mobs and having 80% dead mobs reset, leash and regenerate.

Or how about doing that Skill Challenge, and the entire boss resets when you use stealth.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“Stealth should, in my mind, break targeting AND any channeled skills.”

Here we go again. Channeled skills have to be compared to instant skills. Instant skills deal all the damage immediately, cannot be interrupted like channeled skills, and leave the owner free to move around, dodge, and use other skills. Channeled skills are strong against aegis, blind, and some other defenses but have a simple counter, an interrupt. However, channeled and instant skills work in exactly the same way when it comes to stealth. The target is only required when the skill starts.

Stealth doesn’t prevent damage from an instant skill. Stealth doesn’t prevent damage from a channeled skill that starts with a valid target. If you want to avoid damage from a channeled skill then don’t use stealth, aegis or blind. Use an interrupt. The game is balanced with this design.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They made that change several months ago, and it was a really awful decision since Stealth is the only form of defense Thieves have.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

“Stealth should, in my mind, break targeting AND any channeled skills.”

Here we go again. Channeled skills have to be compared to instant skills. Instant skills deal all the damage immediately, cannot be interrupted like channeled skills, and leave the owner free to move around, dodge, and use other skills. Channeled skills are strong against aegis, blind, and some other defenses but have a simple counter, an interrupt. However, channeled and instant skills work in exactly the same way when it comes to stealth. The target is only required when the skill starts.

Stealth doesn’t prevent damage from an instant skill. Stealth doesn’t prevent damage from a channeled skill that starts with a valid target. If you want to avoid damage from a channeled skill then don’t use stealth, aegis or blind. Use an interrupt. The game is balanced with this design.

Correct and I’m stating that this is flawed.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.