NPE, a Dont-Play-too-fast prevention?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

All this timegating and lvl-gating seems to have one purpose only for me. To make us not play through the game too fast. For me it feels like that anyway. Now u cannot longer do things In Your own pace – it has to be in their pace! And that is sad. The NPE is just making lvl’ing at low lvl so boring compared to Before (yes I’m currentlu lvl’ing 3 alts on different lvl’s but Believe me I love scrolls, tomes, boosters etc, just to get past the silly gating). The personal story have been lvl-gated, dont start until 10 and several steps of the story have been removed!!! Is this A-nets way of getting ppl to stay for a Little bit longer to explore the game… May work one time, but it becomes fairly annoying to get the same “beginners info” and the steps to prevent things from being too hard/difficult at u’r 7;th character…..

Whats u’r thoughts abot this?

Kima & Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

It’s actually pretty fast leveling if you do it the “normal” way. Faster than before, ironically.

Posted by: Tarnsman.8092

Tarnsman.8092

I started a new character last night to try out the NPE and feel I level faster than before so far.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yep. The first 15 levels are way faster. Even says so in the patch notes. If you’re not leveling faster for the first 15 levels, you’re not trying.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

(was thinking of another thread for the first part)

And yeah the leveling is faster. Even for past lv 15.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I feel since this was introduced, that I level faster than before, sure there is gating of sorts, but none of it, outside the Personal Story, has caused me any dissatisfaction. People are simply blowing this out of proportion as they always do when something changes that imposes on “Their gameplay”.

I agree that it feels more like ANet wants you to slow down, and take notice of things around you, instead of blindly cruising through the levels and being none the wiser of what the game offers post level 80.

So yeah, I am having no problems leveling whatsoever.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

:\ I dunno that 20-30 felt horrible. also before I could keep doing story missions beyond my level.

Now im going back to my tried and true run dungeons till 80 method. should be there in about a few.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Vayne.8563

:\ I dunno that 20-30 felt horrible. also before I could keep doing story missions beyond my level.

Now im going back to my tried and true run dungeons till 80 method. should be there in about a few.

Did you play it before or after the patch that fixed the leveling from 20-30?

DonQuack.9025

yesterday

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Whats u’r thoughts abot this?

Have you tried it yourself?

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Everybody keeps saying 1-15 is faster, faster, faster. I played an ele from level 4 to level 11 on the evening NPE was deployed. I posted about my experiences on that evening. It did not feel faster to me. Perhaps because I didn’t jump immediately into the personal story at level 10, or do anything but stuff in Queensdale, sans the skill challenges that were not available at the time. And I still got one of those, due to someone else triggering it.

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

Everybody keeps saying 1-15 is faster, faster, faster. I played an ele from level 4 to level 11 on the evening NPE was deployed. I posted about my experiences on that evening. It did not feel faster to me. Perhaps because I didn’t jump immediately into the personal story at level 10, or do anything but stuff in Queensdale, sans the skill challenges that were not available at the time. And I still got one of those, due to someone else triggering it.

So you didn’t do hearts? Each heart levels you about 1/3 of a level. 3 hearts levels you a level. Three hearts in queensdale, that’s pretty fast. However, if you do a dynamic event, that’s another 1/3 of a level (roughly) and often gives you the heart, so you’re doing double time.

Do the events and hearts, and you level relatively fast.

anzenketh.3759

You already know why it feels slower. It feels slower for the same reason why when you watch time time feels slower. You are anxious to get to something else. For you that is starting the personal story.

Mathematically though it is faster.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

@ Anzeneketh. I have tried it and The “Everything is locked untill lvl X” is annoying me. How it worked before was just fine for me.

Kima & Co

Tachenon.5270

I did do hearts, and events, and whatever else presented itself. As I said, I wrote it up:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-pack-9-9-feedback/page/3#post4384840

And anzenketh, your assessment of my feelings is not only wrong, but also rather presumptuous.

The table is a fable.

anzenketh.3759

@ Anzeneketh. I have tried it and The “Everything is locked untill lvl X” is annoying me. How it worked before was just fine for me.

“Everything is locked” is a Hyperbole. It is also not helpful. What specific thing that is behind a level gate annoys you. A lot less things are behind a level gate then you think.

I did do hearts, and events, and whatever else presented itself. As I said, I wrote it up:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-pack-9-9-feedback/page/3#post4384840

And anzenketh, your assessment of my feelings is not only wrong, but also rather presumptuous.

I apologize if my statement offended you it was not my intent. Yes my statement is bold. Reasoning behind the boldness is that is how I feel myself about the speed. I feel that it is slower. I also know I feel this way due to I want to move on to the Story.

I made that comment based upon the following. If I am wrong I will freely admit so. I am wrong. I am wrong because I mis-read your sentence.

Perhaps because I didn’t jump immediately into the personal story at level 10, or do anything but stuff in Queensdale, sans the skill challenges that were not available at the time.

I now change my comment to the Personal Story gives a massive amount of XP Almost the equivalent of 2 levels. So yes it would feel slower to you.

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Tachenon.5270

I don’t remember now, but I think I started on the 1st section of the personal story at level 13. After that I finished up Queensdale and have since completed Metrica Province, Kessex Hills, Gendarran Fields (holy cow that Nebo Terrace defense), along with personal story sections 2 and 3, and am currently in Harathi Hinterlands. My ele is now level 39. After the patch that lowered the gate for elite skills, I used a bunch of skill scrolls to get the flaming sword skill.

The worst slow stretch was in the upper 20s, which was, I believe, due to a bug.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Anzenketh has a point, though. There may be some perceived slowness on your end.

I know I have days where it’s suddenly end of my shift and others where time crawls, but the shifts were the same length of time.

And there is the saying of a watched pot never boils. If your watching the xp bar, it is going to feel slower than of you ignore it.

anzenketh.3759

The worst slow stretch was in the upper 20s, which was, I believe, due to a bug.

Yes that was a bug but it should have been fixed with the September 15th patch. Did you have that issue before or after that patch.

DonQuack.9025

Also each heart a 1/3 of a level? Those hearts were gimping me big time.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The level gating has had the opposite effect on me. I normally do take my time exploring, talking to all the named NPCs, climbing the scenery etc.

Now I want to rush to at least level 10 because it really frustrates me not having access to my weapon skills. Maybe it wouldn’t bother a new player but I always used to unlock them all for at least my first weapon set in the introduction instance. Combat is just too tedious when you’ve got 2 or 3 skills and one of those is an auto-attack.

I feel like I can’t start enjoying the game until I’ve levelled up enough to have some options.

Having said that the recent fixes have made it much better than it was when the feature patch first came out. I’m glad they listened to player feedback and made changes.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)