Name an MMORPG better than Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: allpiesaresquare.8203

allpiesaresquare.8203

People always say that Guild Wars 2 sucks and is terrible and stuff.
Please name an MMORPG better than GW2.
Guild Wars 1 does not count as it is not really an MMO and if you say WoW is better, then you are a troll.

Posted by: monkeydluffy.7896

monkeydluffy.7896

WOW, aion, tera, GW1 soon to come wildstar

*EDIT** oh and Neverwinter as well thats pretty fun. thats like a GW2 done right with the trinity system

(edited by monkeydluffy.7896)

Posted by: monkeydluffy.7896

monkeydluffy.7896

oh this game is kinda dead. Compared to wow. I have dungeon master and did tons of fractals I just sign on to do dailies then jump on back to wow. Plenty to keep me busy. Good world pvp arena and raids and small dungeons

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I’m not going to say anything about Aion, but seriously, tera!? better than GW2 you got to be kidding me. Get in a zone, kill 20 easy monster 5 hard and 3 elite, do the dungeon. Get in a new zone, ooh 20 easy monster, 5 hard 3 elite, dungeon. It’s fun at first but get boring and i know pretty much every game can be simplified like this but Tera is good at it. Also not being able to move when attacking in an action MMO just doesn’t make sense.

Posted by: yanchoy.9176

yanchoy.9176

Candy Crush

/Snow white and the 7 dwarfs and their wives

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Wurm online

Where actions have real impact on the world even if they take years to do and nobody plays and all the mechanics and visuals are god awful.

I can say I’ve had a ton of memorable experiences playing that with friends than doing all this generic junk in GW2.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I wonder why all these gw2 haters take their time to post on the forums and spread their hate. If the other MMO’s are so much fun and keep you busy, why are you here then, posting? Shouldn’t you be kept busy?

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Haven’t played an MMO better imo, I’ve played : TERA, Neverwinter, LoL (that count?), Planetside 2 and some other Action RPG MMO I forgot the name of.

TERA & Neverwinter (Neverwinter also had pretty boring combat) sucked because I had 600+ms ping on there and LoL, well, I hate the gameplay of it, not my type (RTS). Planetside 2 is probably the only one I enjoyed since there’s not really a grind, it’s free and is player skill dependent more than gear dependent (unless you want to be a pilot).

Justdeifyme.9387

I don’t know where you got that from, but Planetside isn’t an MMORPG, it’s an MMO Shooter. And LoL, LoL is a MOBA Game that has nothing to do with MMO’s in any way.

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

City of Heroes… wait… NCSOft closed it without any consideration to their community…

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Wildstar, Elder-Scrolls online, Rift, Lord of the Rings online, & Pathfinder Online. Why don’t I play them? Rift has rendering issues with drawing objects, Lotro has very outdated character models, and the other three are still in development.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

done right with the trinity system

Oxymoron

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Wildstar, Elder-Scrolls online, Rift, Lord of the Rings online, & Pathfinder Online. Why don’t I play them? Rift has rendering issues with drawing objects, Lotro has very outdated character models, and the other three are still in development.

Listing MMOs that aren’t out is silly. You don’t know how they’ll actually play on release. You don’t know what they’ll be like six months after release.

As for Lotro, it’s a pretty decent MMO…but it has major flaws as well. Not the least of it is the pay to win aspect. Or pay to unlock this content, pay to unlock that content. You know I’d love to do that area with you, but I haven’t bought it yet.

For a free to play game, that’s one expensive game.

Justdeifyme.9387

As for Lotro, it’s a pretty decent MMO…but it has major flaws as well. Not the least of it is the pay to win aspect. Or pay to unlock this content, pay to unlock that content. You know I’d love to do that area with you, but I haven’t bought it yet.

Well LotrO is a fest for Lord of the Ring Fanboys like me, I have some experiences with this game that still melt my heart. But that’s not enough to be blind for what a great game gw2 is.

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Fantasy earth zero. Best MMO i’ve ever played just because of the combat system.

I’m also excited for wildstar but I havent played it so I wont say it’s better than GW2.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Guild Wars 1 does not count as it is not really an MMO and if you say WoW is better, then you are a troll.

But the people who love WOW aren’t trolls. They are the demographic that made WoW the 500 lb gorrilla of MMO gaming, and the very demographic MMOs released post WOW try to attract.

I didn’t care for WoW. That did not make it a bad game for most who play it. I don’t care for a lot of the current direction of this game, and my opinion does not make it a “bad” game.

You are asking for opinions. All valid, as they are from a personal perception. One persons concept of Best is different than another person, and each is equally valid.

Your post is the only troll here ATM.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

WoW, Aion, Guild Wars 1, Rift, Diablo 3 (I know, it sucks but it still has better rpg elements than GW2), Neverwinter, Dungeons n’ Dragons, Lotro, LoL, heck, even Runes of Magic is better and it’s basically pay to win and they barely advertise their game anymore.

Why is someone that thinks WoW is better than GW2 a troll? WoW is obviously superior in every single way. Better dungeons, better armor (way more armor to choose from.), and it’s just infinitely more polished than GW2 will ever be. And I mean that in the nicest way.

Why are these games better? They all have different reasons. WoW is so superior, I can’t even list all of the reasons it’s better. The list would be longer than santa’s list of children to visit for christmas. WoW is so polished that you can’t even compare GW2 to it. WoW would stomp it down without a thought.

The Mystic Forge in GW2 shouldn’t even exist first of all. Any game where you gamble to get an end-game item is an automatic eventual failure. Fiesta online failed twice before it switched companies that were running it. It switched from Outspark to Gamigo. Guess what the reason for the failures was? People had to gamble to enhance their weapons and armor and nobody could do the end-game content because they were too weak.

Another reason these games are better than GW2 is that the content is actually interesting and captivates me. I don’t understand what could possibly compel Anet to come up with such bland, unimaginative updates. The updates are too simple, too easy, and always have an RNG element to it, which sucks big time. Rift actually did a better job with dynamic events than Guild Wars 2, and Rift didn’t even boast about its dynamic events.

Which leads me into the RNG factor of GW2. RNG sucks, plain and simple. I don’t know what it is about this game, but the RNG has to be broken past repair. I wasted over 5k gold throwing kitten into the Mystic Forge and for what? Not even a good exotic. If that can happen, this game is broken.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

WoW, Aion, Guild Wars 1, Rift, Diablo 3 (I know, it sucks but it still has better rpg elements than GW2), Neverwinter, Dungeons n’ Dragons, Lotro, LoL, heck, even Runes of Magic is better and it’s basically pay to win and they barely advertise their game anymore.

Why is someone that thinks WoW is better than GW2 a troll? WoW is obviously superior in every single way. Better dungeons, better armor (way more armor to choose from.), and it’s just infinitely more polished than GW2 will ever be. And I mean that in the nicest way.

Why are these games better? They all have different reasons. WoW is so superior, I can’t even list all of the reasons it’s better. The list would be longer than santa’s list of children to visit for christmas. WoW is so polished that you can’t even compare GW2 to it. WoW would stomp it down without a thought.

The Mystic Forge in GW2 shouldn’t even exist first of all. Any game where you gamble to get an end-game item is an automatic eventual failure. Fiesta online failed twice before it switched companies that were running it. It switched from Outspark to Gamigo. Guess what the reason for the failures was? People had to gamble to enhance their weapons and armor and nobody could do the end-game content because they were too weak.

Another reason these games are better than GW2 is that the content is actually interesting and captivates me. I don’t understand what could possibly compel Anet to come up with such bland, unimaginative updates. The updates are too simple, too easy, and always have an RNG element to it, which sucks big time. Rift actually did a better job with dynamic events than Guild Wars 2, and Rift didn’t even boast about its dynamic events.

Which leads me into the RNG factor of GW2. RNG sucks, plain and simple. I don’t know what it is about this game, but the RNG has to be broken past repair. I wasted over 5k gold throwing kitten into the Mystic Forge and for what? Not even a good exotic. If that can happen, this game is broken.

And yet, you couldn’t list one single thing that wow does better than gw2

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

This question really doesn’t have a right answer. It almost feels like people are saying the people who answer are wrong, but its really a matter of opinion isn’t it?

I love Guild Wars 2 but happen to prefer Everquest, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Rift, Vanguard, DC Universe Online (which, granted is more brawler than rpg but has some really fun rpg elements to it).

That said, just because I prefer those others most of the time doesn’t mean I won’t play this one. Its f2p. You lose nothing by not logging in for a week…

Justdeifyme.9387

I like how you compare a 10 year old game to a not even 1 year old game in terms of “polishing”.

Galtrix.7369

*EDIT** oh and Neverwinter as well thats pretty fun. thats like a GW2 done right with the trinity system

Pfft…. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA -runs out of breathe- BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wait, you’re serious?

yes it sold more than GW2

I can understand WoW posts. But Neverwinter? Neverwinter was terrible. TERA offers nothing but combat, and Aion went down in history as a failure. WildStar isn’t even bloody out yet, and hasn’t released any information that would indicate it as being anything different or interesting.

Plus, sales mean nothing. Less than nothing, actually. Twilight has outsold nearly every novel out there – are you implying that Twilight is an amazing novel? Madden NFL and Call of Duty still top sales lists. Are you implying that they are among the best games on the market? Popularity =/= Quality.

Yet I randomly picked 10 friends and showed them both Guild Wars 2 and Aion. Guess which game all 10 picked to play? Hint: It wasn’t Guild Wars 2. Seven of those friends still play Aion, the other 3 play WoW. They didn’t even show a slight interest in trying out Guild Wars 2.

If sales mean nothing, then why is WoW still on the top? Oh, right. It sold a ton of games. People say it sucks all the time, yet sales say that WoW is fantastic, which it is.

Neverwinter wasn’t that bad. I’d still play it over GW2 any day if I wasn’t playing WoW. You’re opinion on Tera is spot on though. I found nothing interesting in that game but the combat.

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

This question really doesn’t have a right answer. It almost feels like people are saying the people who answer are wrong, but its really a matter of opinion isn’t it?

I love Guild Wars 2 but happen to prefer Everquest, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Rift, Vanguard, DC Universe Online (which, granted is more brawler than rpg but has some really fun rpg elements to it).

That said, just because I prefer those others most of the time doesn’t mean I won’t play this one. Its f2p. You lose nothing by not logging in for a week…

RPG is really a lose category if you think about it. RPG means role playing game, but every game anymore aims to be a role playing game. Even CoD tries to be a role playing game.

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

It’s not a matter of which game is better,it’s just how one’s perceive that game A is better than game B and people most of the time stick to what the are used to.

Galtrix.7369

And yet, you couldn’t list one single thing that wow does better than gw2

You asked for it. Dungeons, armor, reward vs. time, boss battles, raids, no gambling, expansions (which GW2 will most likely never have), you actually have to travel across a map to look at the beauty of the world instead of waypointing everywhere (traveling should’ve been a crucial aspect of GW2, instead they implemented the wp system. Worst decision ever.), Auction House balancing, detailed quests, LFG system, Raid system, and just better progression in general.

Keep in mind, you asked for that. I could go on, and on, but I think I’ll stick with that list of stuff.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Though RNG sucks, GW2 uses it because, for most humans, it seems to work. Give a person a guaranteed reward, and they’ll do that thing once and get the reward and go on. Give a person a mere chance to receive a reward and they’ll do something repeatedly with basically no limit. Therefore, RNG makes them more money than more solid approaches. If the majority of people didn’t tolerate the randomness by using their pocketbooks to express this, RNG would be replaced with something else. But it doesn’t need to be because even though some folks complain about not liking it, the vast majority of people will simply continue to shell out money on the chance of getting said reward.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Odds are most of the posters in this thread have no Clue re Everquest, Everquest 2, Vanguard.. but still feel they can proclaim “the best MMO eva”.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Irrelevant. MMORPGs are very mediocre games. Saying something is better than other MMOs is the same as saying that something is better than having your face eaten by kittens – why would you want that anyway?

This topic is useful, though, to highlight the MMO hopping scenario. It’s funny to see how many people here keep have played almost all big MMOs released in the last half decade, without ever finding what they are looking for.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Pfft…. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA -runs out of breathe- BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wait, you’re serious?

I can understand WoW posts. But Neverwinter? Neverwinter was terrible. TERA offers nothing but combat, and Aion went down in history as a failure. WildStar isn’t even bloody out yet, and hasn’t released any information that would indicate it as being anything different or interesting.

Plus, sales mean nothing. Less than nothing, actually. Twilight has outsold nearly every novel out there – are you implying that Twilight is an amazing novel? Madden NFL and Call of Duty still top sales lists. Are you implying that they are among the best games on the market? Popularity =/= Quality.

Yet I randomly picked 10 friends and showed them both Guild Wars 2 and Aion. Guess which game all 10 picked to play? Hint: It wasn’t Guild Wars 2. Seven of those friends still play Aion, the other 3 play WoW. They didn’t even show a slight interest in trying out Guild Wars 2.

If sales mean nothing, then why is WoW still on the top? Oh, right. It sold a ton of games. People say it sucks all the time, yet sales say that WoW is fantastic, which it is.

Neverwinter wasn’t that bad. I’d still play it over GW2 any day if I wasn’t playing WoW. You’re opinion on Tera is spot on though. I found nothing interesting in that game but the combat.

The answer is that WoW is the best – traditional – MMORPG out there. Sales “say” that WoW is the best of the generic MMORPGs (Everquest 1 and 2 being the grandfather and great-grandfather). And that says nothing. Most MMORPGs are utter garbage and have been utter garbage for the last decade.

Neverwinter was bad because of poor, mostly-stationary combat, a bad cash shop, boring, linear map design, and having to deal with Perfect World Entertainment – one of the worst MMO publishers on the market in terms of customer service… and everything else. Basically, yes, it was that bad.

Aion’s aged well, especially with its movement into free to play, but it just isn’t great. It’s not special. It’s not interesting. It has its market – a market very similar to that of Rift (as in the market WoW would probably have if it went f2p), and it appeals to that. Your friends just happened to fall under that group – or maybe they just enjoyed the game thematically and wanted a gear-grinder.

And re-iterating on TERA. All Tera offers is combat, and it’s not even objectively better than Guild Wars 2 combat. Excessive self-rooting results in a combat system that may be better or worse than that of Guild Wars 2, based on one’s subjective opinion.

And as for comparing the sales figures of WoW to those of Guild Wars 2 – you’re comparing sales figures between a game as old as Guild Wars 1 (in other words, a game that is nearly a decade old) and has had ample time to both polish itself and dominate its market with the sales figures of a game that is less than a year old and hasn’t even released in China yet, much less the entire world. If you compare first-year sales figures, they are roughly equivalent.

Now what do the sales figures of Guild Wars 2 actually say – that it has already sold over 3 million copies (and this is an outdated number, mind you), and thus has outsold nearly every other MMORPG out there (and this is without a complete worldwide release) with the major exception being World of Warcraft, which has had years to secure its position and is steadily declining.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think wow is much better than gw2, I am just burnt out on it. I think the world events are funner in rift, the story is better in swtor, eve has a better market and much better pvp (including large warfare that is leagues better than wvw) and dcuo is an overall funner game.
Gw2 is a solid game, it just might be too casual for me to get into like I have in past mmos.
Just my opinion and everyones will be different. I don’t think theres a way to say objectively which mmo is the best.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

Irrelevant. MMORPGs are very mediocre games. Saying something is better than other MMOs is the same as saying that something is better than having your face eaten by kittens – why would you want that anyway?

This topic is useful, though, to highlight the MMO hopping scenario. It’s funny to see how many people here keep have played almost all big MMOs released in the last half decade, without ever finding what they are looking for.

Its not really about not finding what you are looking for though in my opinion. I wouldn’t eat bran flakes every single day of my entire life. Sometimes maybe I want bacon or fruit or cottage cheese or something right? Why wouldn’t it be the same with games?

I loved Everquest for years but why in the world would I want to be entertained by only that one game forever? So I came to GW2 and its a great game, but so are a lot of others. Variety! (And plenty of out of game, real life stuff in between or I’d be nuts by now…probably am anyway)

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

the only thing WoW was better than GW2 is Cloaks and Mount

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

Galtrix.7369

Wait, you’re serious?

The answer is that WoW is the best – traditional – MMORPG out there. Sales “say” that WoW is the best of the generic MMORPGs (Everquest 1 and 2 being the grandfather and great-grandfather). And that says nothing. Most MMORPGs are utter garbage and have been utter garbage for the last decade.

Neverwinter was bad because of poor, mostly-stationary combat, a bad cash shop, boring, linear map design, and having to deal with Perfect World Entertainment – one of the worst MMO publishers on the market in terms of customer service… and everything else. Basically, yes, it was that bad.

Aion’s aged well, especially with its movement into free to play, but it just isn’t great. It’s not special. It’s not interesting. It has its market – a market very similar to that of Rift (as in the market WoW would probably have if it went f2p), and it appeals to that. Your friends just happened to fall under that group – or maybe they just enjoyed the game thematically and wanted a gear-grinder.

And re-iterating on TERA. All Tera offers is combat, and it’s not even objectively better than Guild Wars 2 combat. Excessive self-rooting results in a combat system that may be better or worse than that of Guild Wars 2, based on one’s subjective opinion.

And as for comparing the sales figures of WoW to those of Guild Wars 2 – you’re comparing sales figures between a game as old as Guild Wars 1 (in other words, a game that is nearly a decade old) and has had ample time to both polish itself and dominate its market with the sales figures of a game that is less than a year old and hasn’t even released in China yet, much less the entire world. If you compare first-year sales figures, they are roughly equivalent.

Now what do the sales figures of Guild Wars 2 actually say – that it has already sold over 3 million copies (and this is an outdated number, mind you), and thus has outsold nearly every other MMORPG out there (and this is without a complete worldwide release) with the major exception being World of Warcraft, which has had years to secure its position and is steadily declining.

While I mostly agree with you, there are a few things I think differently about. For example, my opinion is that Guild Wars 2 only reached 3 million copies because of the hype the game received from people. It looked like a fantastic game at first, but as people started playing, they realized it wasn’t as good as they’d hoped. For WoW, it was the opposite. It didn’t receive enough hype but gained more players as it went along. As for WoW’s population declining, yes it does happen, but that’s why Blizzard releases new expansions every once in awhile. The latest update to WoW brought the playerbase back up to about 10 million as happens with every expansion they release.

That’s my opinion on the matter. I played WoW since the beginning, that’s the only reason I know it didn’t receive enough hype.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

What you’re saying is very subjective. Just because you think GW2 is the end all be all of MMOs doesn’t mean everyone else thinks like you, or agrees with you. Some people may truly like WoW better, and that doesn’t make them a troll. If you’re stating an opinion, fine. If your stating fact, then your entire OP is moot.

(edited by Villious.8530)

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

For example, my opinion is that Guild Wars 2 only reached xxx copies because of the hype the game received from people. It looked like a fantastic game at first, but as people started playing, they realized it wasn’t as good as they’d hoped.
For WoW, it was the opposite.

I agree, unfortunately.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

During that time , WoW subscribers are freefalling , at 7,7 million right now . If it is like some years ago, about 50% of that 7,7 million are Chinese players that pay per hours (at a rate of 6 cents / hours) . A lot of NA and EU servers are deserted . And Blizzard are moving toward micro transactions .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-world-of-warcraft-subs-fall-again-to-7-7-million

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10455679/Cosmetic_Armor_Pieces%E2%80%94Now_Available_on_Blizzard_Store-17_07_2013

And the funniest is that there is a lot of kill on sight against those with the $15 helmets going on .

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

City of Heroes… wait… NCSOft closed it without any consideration to their community…

This one, right here.

CoH had started something they called “Signature Story Arcs”. They were, basically, CoH’s version of the Living Story. First one out? “Who Will Die?” They killed the daughter of the main character, Statesman. Then they killed Statesman himself, causing a HUGE upset in the established lore of the game. Then, when everyone thought they knew the answer to “Who Will Die”, they went and killed Sister Psyche, ANOTHER of the big signature characters! In GW2 terms, this would be like killing off Trahearne’s best friend, then Trahearne, and THEN killing off Ritlock.

Were the SSAs perfect? No, but they were on only the second one when the game was killed. First one out, they made important changes that were NOT going to go away. ANet doesn’t have the nerve to do that. Second one was already showing an improvement over the first, because they learned from their mistakes as they went, and they tried to learn quickly.

Arena Net could do a lot worse than to look at City of Heroes and see what lessons they can learn from it, both from successes and from failures. CoH had a lot of both, but it kept going on and growing better. I’m sure that can be said of a lot of games, though.

Hell, even CoH’s RNG “boxes” (actually 5 card “Super Booster” packs) were better than GW2’s chests.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Galtrix.7369

During that time , WoW subscribers are freefalling , at 7,7 million right now . If it is like some years ago, about 50% of that 7,7 million are Chinese players that pay per hours (at a rate of 6 cents / hours) . A lot of NA and EU servers are deserted . And Blizzard are moving toward micro transactions .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-world-of-warcraft-subs-fall-again-to-7-7-million

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10455679/Cosmetic_Armor_Pieces%E2%80%94Now_Available_on_Blizzard_Store-17_07_2013

And the funniest is that there is a lot of kill on sight against those with the $15 helmets going on .

Big deal, cosmetic items. Oh, look! Guild Wars 2 is made of cosmetics. Some NA and EU servers are deserted. That’s why Blizzard implemented free server transfers from servers with low populations to servers with medium or above populations or vice versa. I guarantee, as soon as Blizzard moves to pay 2 win, if it even does, the players will throw hissy fits. But I seriously doubt Blizzard would be that ignorant.

Duke Blackrose.4981

You asked for it. Dungeons, armor, reward vs. time, boss battles, raids, no gambling, expansions (which GW2 will most likely never have), you actually have to travel across a map to look at the beauty of the world instead of waypointing everywhere (traveling should’ve been a crucial aspect of GW2, instead they implemented the wp system. Worst decision ever.), Auction House balancing, detailed quests, LFG system, Raid system, and just better progression in general.

Keep in mind, you asked for that. I could go on, and on, but I think I’ll stick with that list of stuff.

WoW armor looks godawful – like the artwork of a failing art student in highschool. Even the worst Guild Wars 2 armor designs are better than a majority of WoW armors.

Raids are a subjective matter. Many people like raiding. Many people DON’T like raiding. It all depends on whether you prefer being an integral part of a 5 man team or an unimportant cog in a 40 man army who uses the same mindless rotation over and over and over again in an equally mindless journey for a chance at a drop that you will use to repeat the process in the next raid.

The presence or lack of gambling is irrelevant when the reward does not help you in any way, shape, or form. They’re cosmetics. So what if little Timmy didn’t get his Fused Greatsword because he didn’t win a lottery for it. His transmuted Jotun Greatsword is just as nice and has the exact same stats.

And the travel vs. waypoint system is a subjective point also. Frankly, I think your point on this aspect is utterly idiotic. I could waste time walking (or flying) from point A to point B, not because I want to, but because I HAVE to in WoW. I can save valuable time and waypoint from point A to point B in Guild Wars 2 to visit a location I WANT to see. If I want to, I can also CHOOSE to walk from point A to point B to take in the sights of Guild Wars 2’s environment, which, by the way, are infinitely more beautiful than any landscape in WoW.

WoW has detailed quests that next to no one reads. Most of the context laid out by these quests makes no sense within the events that are actually happening. “OH, THESE CENTAURS ARE ATTACKING ME!” No, they aren’t. They are standing in a field with their fingers buried halfway into their nasal cavities. Guild Wars 2 does not TELL you context, but rather SHOWS you context. Those centaurs are actually attacking. It’s the same thing, but with better storytelling. Any critic or successful author will tell you that “showing” context or characterization is better writing than “telling” your reader about it.

An LFG system is in the works for Guild Wars 2. When it is released, this point will no longer stand.

“Better progression” is subjective. There is a vertical progression crowd and a horizontal progression crowd. If you are a vertical supporter, this game was not designed for you and hopefully never will be. There are a million other MMOs out there that match your preference. Would you like me to show you to the door?

And as for expansions – expansions are nothing but sold additional content. So far, Guild Wars 2 has given players at least one expansion’s worth of content for free already, with no signs of stopping any time in the forseeable future. World of Warcraft SELLS you its expansions on top of charging you a subscription fee that is supposed to pay for content releases – in other words, they are charging you twice for the same product. If Guild Wars 2 releases an expansion, I’ll pay for it and enjoy it. If it doesn’t release one, then I’m not going to complain, because I’ve already received my expansion over time… and for free.

Try again.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

This thread is pointless

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Dungeons, armor, reward vs. time, boss battles, raids, no gambling, expansions (which GW2 will most likely never have), you actually have to travel across a map to look at the beauty of the world instead of waypointing everywhere (traveling should’ve been a crucial aspect of GW2, instead they implemented the wp system. Worst decision ever.), Auction House balancing, detailed quests, LFG system, Raid system, and just better progression in general.

Amazing. You managed to mention almost all features that make me not want to play WoW, and want to play GW2 instead.

If you really think GW2 is missing all those things, wouldn’t it be more logical to go play a game that has such things and leave GW2 behind you?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I think just to be fair I’ll mention some things that GW2 does better than WoW. I won’t list graphics as one of them because it wouldn’t be fair to compare an 10 year old game to one that is barely even a year old.

The combat in GW2 feels much more involved and action driven. The player has a great deal more control of their character’s livelihood. Your counter-point might be that WoW has a much larger range of skills per character and you’re not locked out of them. It’s true but these skills don’t actually add much because there can only be so many variations of a heal, a DOT, etc. before it’s all the same. It becomes really generic.

Not having mob tagging is a really big thing. One of the fundamental flaws of any MMORPG before GW2 is that they failed to incentivize player cooperation by having things like kill stealing and mob tagging (introduced to prevent kill stealing). Not to mention that loot is on an individual basis and that nodes can’t be stolen by other players. Sure, in WoW you could gank them if they are on the opposing faction but what can you possibly do to them if they’re on yours?

I think the armor in GW2 is actually on par if not better looking than WoW’s. I think your issue is lack of stat progression or what they refer to as a gear treadmill. Yes, WoW does win in this regard but only if you think that such a thing is sustainable. In WoW, each expansion resets everyone to the starting point of the treadmill because it is in fact unsustainable. All that’s being added are inflated numbers that don’t really mean anything.

GW2 does something else better than WoW and that is the level scaling system. In WoW, if you take your maxed out character to a low level zone everything is greyed out. Nodes are greyed, quests are greyed, and enemies are greyed. In GW2, there’s incentives to visit or even revisit lower level zones and there is still some challenge despite gear advantages. There’s also a much greater focus on exploring the world despite waypoints allowing for quick travel. In fact, you can’t even use waypoints unless you’ve discovered them first, hence invalidating your argument that traveling is de-emphasized.

WoW was one of the first MMORPGs to include jumping but unfortunately they never fully utilized it. GW2 actually makes use of jumping and includes a large selection of jumping puzzles. Completing them is actually the reward and that says a lot when a lot of games like WoW place a strong emphasis on farming things over and over. Recently ANet has experimented with including jumping into their boss fights, adding a new dimension to combat, so we can definitely see that GW2 has a great deal of potential. WoW has had a lot of time to develop and that’s why we see these great raid bosses. Vanilla WoW had some pretty bland and boring bosses. I don’t think it will take long for GW2 to surpass WoW in terms of boss fights.

Persistent world PvP is also GW2 does better. There really hasn’t been anything like World vs World since the days of Dark Age of Camelot. EVE also has persistent PvP but it’s not as well structured. I mean, it’s not something you just decide to do and it happens. Those PvP zones in WoW feel more like battlegrounds than actual war zones. They’re on a timer so when the server says that the fight is over there’s no point in continuing the fight. It doesn’t help that PvE bosses are tied to these PvP zones.

I think whichever game you feel is superior all comes down to preferences. If you favor randomness in combat over direct control then you’ll like WoW more. If you feel that individual skill should take precedence over gear then GW2 might be more your thing. I’m not saying WoW doesn’t take skill but because gear constantly becomes better your skill is de-emphasized. WoW could improve as a game by removing mob tagging and introducing something similar to GW2. It could further improve by implementing more dynamic content once mob tagging is removed.

Duke Blackrose.4981

^Indeed. Mob tagging vs. mob sharing (mob sharing being my term for Guild Wars 2’s system) is, by itself, enough to rate Guild Wars 2 above almost every other game in the genre. I quit several MMOs just because of how poorly they handled mob tagging, and it is also the main reason I have decided not to play WildStar (unless it is f2p or b2p, and even that is a maybe).

Posted by: Talbin.8305

Talbin.8305

I don’t feel like there are any better games than GW2 at the moment. I really have had a lot of fun on this. That said…i’m always nostalgic for UO and the joy of when i finally switched from dialup to broadband…(pre tram/fel split!!!! That killed the game for me), EQ when it first came out was a blast…and so was DAOC.

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

GUILD WARS 1

15 Characters

Vayne.8563

Well LotrO is a fest for Lord of the Ring Fanboys like me, I have some experiences with this game that still melt my heart. But that’s not enough to be blind for what a great game gw2 is.

When Lotro launched, it was an amazing game. When Turbine took over and it went free to play…not so much.

The problem is Lord of the Rings isn’t the game. You love the franchise. But that has nothing to do with Lotro as an MMO. Answer me honestly…if that game had characters and places you didn’t know from Tolkien and it was just an MMO, but with halflings instead of hobbits, generic elves and dwarves…no Rivendale, no Shire, no Mines of Moria…would it still be a great MMO?

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

^Indeed. Mob tagging vs. mob sharing (mob sharing being my term for Guild Wars 2’s system) is, by itself, enough to rate Guild Wars 2 above almost every other game in the genre. I quit several MMOs just because of how poorly they handled mob tagging, and it is also the main reason I have decided not to play WildStar (unless it is f2p or b2p, and even that is a maybe).

Inb4 it becomes p2w.

Also, don’t forget the unique looting is something that I absolutely love about GW2. No longer do I have to worry about someone else picking up my loot. (I guess this fits in with Mob Sharing, though.)

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Time will tell. Note that this is an industry peer recognition, not some rabid Fan vote.

http://www.gdconlineawards.com/archive/halloffame.html

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

Inb4 it becomes p2w.

Also, don’t forget the unique looting is something that I absolutely love about GW2. No longer do I have to worry about someone else picking up my loot. (I guess this fits in with Mob Sharing, though.)

Exactly. For someone like myself who has played WoW I would have a hard time getting back into it given the mob tagging and shared nodes/loot. I’d still be able to since I’ve played it before. Now for someone that has never played WoW and GW2 is their first game I think it would be really difficult for them to get into WoW if not impossible because of these quirks. That isn’t to mention constantly getting the message you have no target selected, target out of range, or target not in line of sight when you’re trying to attack something.

Vayne.8563

Time will tell. Note that this is an industry peer recognition, not some rabid Fan vote.

http://www.gdconlineawards.com/archive/halloffame.html

LMAO at peer recognition. One MMO stays around for a long time, due to a combination of lauching at the right time, and having a gazillion dollars to advertise, following some very successful franchises and so the industry has recognized it.

If another game had some out instead of WoW and WoW came out in this environment, it would never have gotten off the ground, particularly with how buggy it was at launch.

Saying a ten year old MMO that made a lot of money got an award from industry peers is all very nice…but time will NOT tell. Because at the time WoW launched there were like 4 MMOs, most of which were piddling and underfunded. WoW was in the right place at the right time.

Now, with a hundred MMOs out, how is any one MMO going to find that same niche?

Duke Blackrose.4981

Inb4 it becomes p2w.

Exactly. For someone like myself who has played WoW I would have a hard time getting back into it given the mob tagging and shared nodes/loot. I’d still be able to since I’ve played it before. Now for someone that has never played WoW and GW2 is their first game I think it would be really difficult for them to get into WoW if not impossible because of these quirks. That isn’t to mention constantly getting the message you have no target selected, target out of range, or target not in line of sight when you’re trying to attack something.

God, I hated that. It’s the reason I lost interest in Rift during its beta. Now that I’ve experienced better, I refuse to play any piece of crap game that uses that system – especially Runes of Magic, which had (and has?) embarassingly gamebreaking and frequent bugs with its aiming system. “No, I’m not too freaking far from the target, I’m literally right next to it.”