Name the sigil that is 30% of Grenades please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Q:

From the patch notes:

“Engineer kits now inherit the bonuses from currently equipped weapon sigils.
“Grenade” skill now does 30% less damage to balance against using sigils.
Grenade kit damage is now equal in PvP and PvE.”

Engineer Grenade Kit Changes. We didn’t want to totally take away the power of this kit, but when it is able to proc sigil abilities, it becomes very strong due to its powerful AOE nature. So we’ve toned down this kit a little due to the sigils now working on engineer kits.”

So, which sigils did your awesome playtesters use while hauling grenades at the target golems? The 5% one? No, that would be too obvious…

Maybe the aoe one, fire sigil, yes? But that would only be about one grenade’s worth of damage, and only when another grenade crits, once every 5s (or more likely, about once in 7s or something).

I don’t see it, really, enlighten me please.

edit: Meanwhile, weapon stats still do not work with kits, so we are still lacking:

+179 Power
+128 Precision
+9% Critical Damage

thanks for nothing, and please stop “fixing” engies, I don’t want to see what we have to trade for fixing weapon stats…

(edited by wintermute.4096)

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

Waiting for the answer to this one as well..

Posted by: Yareon.2835

Yareon.2835

Yeah, I liked nearly all the fixes until Ia saw the engineers ones….I thought they would have done the same thing as with elementalist conjure weapons, instead they nerfed grenades….

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

Superior Sigil of Izzy was Killed in sPVP by a Grenade Engineer Once

Posted by: WannabeHero.5489

WannabeHero.5489

I’m curious to find out what sigil will increase our damage potential by 30 percent as well.

Posted by: grumbles.5412

grumbles.5412

Superior Air Sigil maybe?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Travail.7390

Travail.7390

To be fair, it’s not the full 30%.

They increased the chance for explosions to cause bleeding by 9%. I’m not sure exactly how that translates into DPS output, but assuming the bleeds aren’t redundant, you’re going to see a dps boost from that.

They also gave the last 2 grenades a damage component, which allows them a chance to proc all of your conditions, like bleed/burn/vulnerability. This also contributes to DPS, though probably not more than a couple of percent.

Regardless, I don’t think any Sigil makes up for more than about 5-10% total damage output, so unless these two changes combined offer a 20-25% damage boost to the spec, the dps output of the kit took a hit.

-Travail.

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

I’m curious to find out what sigil will increase our damage potential by 30 percent as well.

By 43%, actually. Math takes no prisoners.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I’m concerned about this because I use grenades in WvW to help clear walls, and its hard enough when being shot at by rangers to keep lobbing grenades at them. Now they reduced my damage by 30%, and I dont use sigils, I use orbs, so now I have to lower my “stats” to add a sigil just to get some (but not all) the damage back …

Special Note: 1v1 grenade engineer vs other class, engineer will always lose if the other person is kyting due to lag time between targeting and actual boom. Grenades are more a defensive weapon, and this change just weakened our defence.

(edited by wildcode.5403)

Posted by: Nismu.4019

Nismu.4019

all damage sigils seem to have cooldowns so grenades can’t benefit much from them but healing sigils (on kill/on crit) don’t seem to have any. so i would presume those would benefit most.
or sigil of strength

and on 1 vs 1 you shouldn’t be using grenades anyway. grenades are for masses

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

<sarcasm>Those OP engineers, the forums are just full of rants about them taking over the game. </sarcasm>
Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Special Note: 1v1 grenade engineer vs other class, engineer will always lose if the other person is kyting due to lag time between targeting and actual boom. Grenades are more a defensive weapon, and this change just weakened our defence.

Grenades are in a sense the ultimate example of how Anet can’t make up their minds about this being a action game or not. The controls make is near impossible to use grenades while both the toon and the target is moving like they were dueling in a FPS.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

yep would like an answer as well. I have rage on both my weapons, exactly HOW would my attack be OP since I have to carpel tunnel my attacks since here it is 3 months later and they are STILL not a tab target ui???? Yeah…..

please stop insulting our intelligence and hire some prior military personel to fix and balance this class so it can be given the proper attention and not illogical and dishonest excuses.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

isn’t it only a reduction to the slot 1 skill? if the other skills are unchanged, grenade kit damage output isn’t reduced by anywhere near 30%

Posted by: Ulfnar.8317

Ulfnar.8317

The other grenade skills were nerfed by 10 – 15% in PVP in a previous patch, they transfered those nerfs to PVE damage this patch, so the whole kit got kicked in the kitten ridiculously hard. I was just using grenades to farm some mobs, and the total effectiveness drop is more like 40% not 30.

As it stands now my Rifle does better aoe damage than grenades now via piercing, blunderbuss and jumpshot, and I actually hit 100% of the time with the abilities.

Furthermore, because of this massive kittening carpet bombing that they’ve leveled against grenades, the kit is 100% useless if you don’t invest 30 points in a tree and use a grandmaster trait so that it can be slightly less kitteningly bad.

Good job arena net, you’ve made me want to quit the game.

digiowl.9620

My impression was that alongside the 30% PVE reduction they reduced PVP by 15% from its already reduced state, making it in line with the now reduced PVE state.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Grenades are in a sense the ultimate example of how Anet can’t make up their minds about this being a action game or not. The controls make is near impossible to use grenades while both the toon and the target is moving like they were dueling in a FPS.

this is actually very easy if you use the Combat Mod, which is perfectly legal and wont get you banned.

sadly however yes the Grenade kit is lacking an auto-attack function

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

‘we’ve toned down this kit a little’

Wow, if a 1/3 is a little i would love to see know what a BIG change is considered to be.

Ive only just got my Engineer to 80 and am fairly new to the game – i didnt want to go Grenadier but still have the option to get out grenades when i do WvW the odd time to at least be helpful – whats the point now?

digiowl.9620

this is actually very easy if you use the Combat Mod, which is perfectly legal and wont get you banned.

sadly however yes the Grenade kit is lacking an auto-attack function

Just wish Anet would actually put that mod into the game proper. But i guess that would be an admission of fault on their part…

Posted by: Xae.7204

Xae.7204

It is the Sigil of an Engineer killed the balance lead’s Thief, so nerf that kitten into the ground and buff Thieves!

I really hate to jump into the bias train, but at this point there is no other logical explanation. The balance devs hate engineers.

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

The problem with grenades hitting moving targets is the very slow travel time, not the targeting itself. I don’t see how that mod, which may or may not be legal, would help.

Posted by: jingseng.2150

jingseng.2150

Part of the problem in all this is that the game will refuse to acknowledge any simultaneous use of more than 2 buttons on the keyboard. So setting aside the Finger-Yoga to do “W A 1” or “W A E 1” (if you like to circle strafe), the game will simply refuse to acknowledge one of the keys being pushed, generally the last in sequence.

So now you have to choose – mobility to survive, or predictable one dimensional movement to attack.

Additionally, the previous patch which traded raw damage for projectile velocity did not do enough for projectile velocity – grenades are the only ground target skill that has to account for Target, User, AND Projectile movement (well, maybe ranger traps if you are trying to use them AS grenades, and mines).

Any rational naysayer who attempts to use grenades in wvw against a living, thinking opponent will see the stark difference between using grenades in PvE and PvP (i would say the same of Staff Necro as well – and again, largely due to the input limitation described above).

I would be more excited if the flashbangs (skill #3) had a daze and/or knockdown effect. And as powerful as an extra grenade is, it sure wouldn’t hurt to get +200 toughness like flamethrower kit.

And what’s with elixir gun attacks ALL doing less damage than basic rifle? Even factoring in the decidedly minor vulnerability condition?

On the subject of blind, grenades are also especially vulnerable to blind. Despite being a ground target AoE, they can miss due to blind. And as of the previous patch, blind condition WAS NOT REMOVED by grenade use – every grenade you threw missed due to blindness until the duration of blindness naturally lapsed.

Meanwhile, after reading the patch notes, i am disappointed yet again that Warrior retains the “10k damage to all targets in a line” ability with rifle. That is more than “decent” ranged damage, and certainly worlds away from “less than ranger”.

The trade off for an engineer’s versatility already existed – tying up utility skill slots. By lacking weapon swap naturally, and using a utility slot to gain a versatile weapon switch, we have an opportunity cost of any other useful skill, such as one that removes conditions (btw, rocket boots, great for removing movement based conditions – except that they knock you down, which totally negates the benefit of removing said movement conditions) or allows you to move faster. And since you can only use one weapon set bar at a time, that disadvantage compounds if you decide to use a second kit. Your toolbelt mechanic serves as a ‘consolation prize’ to compensate your disadvantages – unlike other professions, where it only serves as additional versatility (nothing to compensate for).

really, equipping a weapon bundle should allow you to use ` weapon swap TO the bundle – with a toolbelt skill and a utility skill. That would be the true versatility of a weapon bundle, and a class mechanic serving purely as a bonus, and not as a crutch for a handicap.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

OMG lawl, this change is awesome. It perfectly illustrates how bad AN developers are when it comes to game design. Came back to look at Christmas stuff. Awesome art department. Too bad they didn’t hire any actual designers or programmers. Will be fun looking around Sunday and Wednesday then back to WoW for a real game.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

OMG lawl, this change is awesome. It perfectly illustrates how bad AN developers are when it comes to game design. Came back to look at Christmas stuff. Awesome art department. Too bad they didn’t hire any actual designers or programmers. Will be fun looking around Sunday and Wednesday then back to WoW for a real game.

I have to agree because they havent added Ascend vendors anywhere and people are still forced to grind 1 dungeon over and over for gear/loot. Over 1 month and still going – that is some bad decision making funneling everyone to 1 point killing everything else in the game.
It is a real shame too cause it was a great game just some serious bad calls and forcing people to buy gems to keep up or grind fracs all day doesnt help either.

Ya after this nerf I wont use my engi – but I would like to know what the sigil is?

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

the tradeoff doesn’t come from straight up damage, but the number of utility sigils you can have. effects on crit/kill/weapon swap, etc.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

By 43%, actually. Math takes no prisoners.

Bertrand Russell burned his math books upon graduation and turned to philosophy. He said math was simply tautology.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

I have to agree because they havent added Ascend vendors anywhere and people are still forced to grind 1 dungeon over and over for gear/loot. Over 1 month and still going – that is some bad decision making funneling everyone to 1 point killing everything else in the game.
It is a real shame too cause it was a great game just some serious bad calls and forcing people to buy gems to keep up or grind fracs all day doesnt help either.

Ya after this nerf I wont use my engi – but I would like to know what the sigil is?

Yup 100%

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

the tradeoff doesn’t come from straight up damage, but the number of utility sigils you can have. effects on crit/kill/weapon swap, etc.

They set it up as a damage tradeoff in the patch notes. If so, the question remains: what sigil compensates for a 30 percent reduction in damage?

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

" The Engineer is a highly versatile class. . . .They can use different kits based on the situation, but this extreme versatility comes at a cost in damage on their main hand weapons."

“We see the elementalist as the king of versatility.”

" Going forward

AOE balance. We feel that in PvP some AOE builds are too strong for the opportunity cost, and we’ll be bringing those in line in the next few patches."

This pretty much sums it all up and gives a good chance on further nerfs for grenades. I was looking forward to this patch but once again it turned out to be the opposite I expected.

Engineers should have learned the lesson by now – better play another class if you want good DPS as this is obviously not an option of our “high versatility”.