Naming system is flawed

Naming system is flawed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

It’s very unfortunate that the naming system used in-game for characters does not work the same way as the account names.
After about an hour of trying, I’ve determined that it’s literally impossible now to give a character a proper Asuran name. Most other characters are workable, using a combination of both a first and last name. But every combination of letters resulting in only two syllables has been taken.

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

That’s why the sensible way to name your asura is: <Occupation><Name>.

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

But every combination of letters resulting in only two syllables has been taken.

That’s not true. I just tested two of my methods for generating asura names (both for two syllables) and both resulted in available names.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I never seem to have issue naming characters, even one syllable names for Asura, and I make key-runner throw-aways all the time.

Why do you need two syllables for your Asura name?

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Apart from the fact that certain names are blocked because they’re used by major NPCs I think NPCs use exactly the same naming rules as players.

The problem you’re encountering isn’t that the game won’t permit those names but that someone else has already got them. There’s a lot of player characters in GW2 so a lot of obvious names have been taken. But even for lore-friendly asuran names it’s still possible to find available ones.

If you’re willing to bend the rules a bit there’s even more options. My latest asuran is called Ambage. It’d be unusual for an asuran but not totally different to the names used for the NPCs and it was so perfect for him I had to go with it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’ve always found it weird that a society so based on academic renown wouldn’t have the wisdom to have surnames. Their databases must be in shambles.

Fortunately, to solve the problem, my gal from Dynamics has developed a Secondary Identification Nomenclature that will ensure her name is properly preserved for posterity!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

My asura don’t have much of this problem
Guardian (f): Aviann (double n was intended)
Necromancer (m): Bstaz (pronounced Stez)
Thief (m): Eîbon (Here I had to use a ^i because Eibon was taken, but it’s so small no one notices it)

I actually have a different problem with Norn and Humans, namely, I wanted to have a character as adescendant of d’Alessio, alas, you cannot type a name like that, it becomes Dalessio which just looks wrong.
And my Norn.. I wanted my mesmer to be called Jåndal Björsson, but the å wasn’t allowed.. so no d’A of l’O sounds, no å or ø either….
I am kinda disapointed in this limitation

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

But every combination of letters resulting in only two syllables has been taken.

That’s not true. I just tested two of my methods for generating asura names (both for two syllables) and both resulted in available names.

Exactly. My Asuran Engineer’s name is (lo and behold): Bódo

I actually have a different problem with Norn and Humans, namely, I wanted to have a character as adescendant of d’Alessio, alas, you cannot type a name like that, it becomes Dalessio which just looks wrong.
And my Norn.. I wanted my mesmer to be called Jåndal Björsson, but the å wasn’t allowed.. so no d’A of l’O sounds, no å or ø either….
I am kinda disapointed in this limitation

+1

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Naming system is flawed

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I’ve always found it weird that a society so based on academic renown wouldn’t have the wisdom to have surnames. Their databases must be in shambles.

Fortunately, to solve the problem, my gal from Dynamics has developed a Secondary Identification Nomenclature that will ensure her name is properly preserved for posterity!

Considering their massive Egos, a system where their names that are unique and registered, so as not to be stolen or copied by future (or even current) generations of wannabes, sounds exactly like something a society built on an academic driven economy would want to do. As for the database? Crew registries are the norm, so why waste effort logging the accomplishments of those who aren’t or will not be accomplishing anything?