Nationality flags in LFG

Nationality flags in LFG

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

Q:

Why under the ENGLISH language, on the EUROPEAN servers, is the LFG tool language of english next to an AMERICAN flag. It’s EU servers not US i play on. I am English and speak it, I am not an american.. Seriously anet please fix this.. it is a grevious mistake… I just don’t understand how you think English language = USA flag. Srsly….

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

(edited by VaaCrow.3076)

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: bird.5920

bird.5920

A:

I’m American, and I agree that the American flag next to the English option (in the EU no less!) is…not quite right. I don’t have any suggestion for this. Some ideas from other people seem reasonable.

It just doesn’t sit right with me. :\

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Why under the ENGLISH language, on the EUROPEAN servers, is the LFG tool language of english next to an AMERICAN flag. It’s EU servers not US i play on. I am English and speak it ankitten ot an american.. Seriously anet please fix this.. it is insulting. I just don’t understand how you think English language = USA flag. Srsly….

MURICA!!!!

Really it’s kinda silly I agree

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

For CANADA! Where healthcare is free, and policeman still ride on horses!

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Why under the ENGLISH language, on the EUROPEAN servers, is the LFG tool language of english next to an AMERICAN flag. It’s EU servers not US i play on. I am English and speak it ankitten ot an american.. Seriously anet please fix this.. it is insulting. I just don’t understand how you think English language = USA flag. Srsly….

I find it insulting that if there is a UK flag on the English language.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Sounds about right to me.

Jking. I understand your frustration.

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

I find it insulting that if there is a UK flag on the English language.

FREEEEEEDOMMMMM!

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

WTB French flag for Quebec!

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Well clearly you stole our language!

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

….and a dozen or so colonies as I recall.

…too soon?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Nationality flags in LFG

VaaCrow.3076

WTB French flag for Quebec!

See you should have that flag too, I just don’t like having the us flag on my wonderful eu servers! Good responces btw, still totally want a dev to respon and say “yeah man we’ll stick the union jack right up there!, What on earth were we thinking!?”

Nationality flags in LFG

VaaCrow.3076

Seems no one else is irked by this, oh well I tried!

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I have a better suggestion.
implemente the feature, that every player can choose their Country Flag in the options menu and when a player did this, then other players can see the Country Flag, when hovering with the mouse over the Character’s Portrait when doing that with the player being in your party.

Doing this lets then the Country flag simply appear besides the player’s name in the party window, as long you have your mouse over that player’s portrait.
Remove the mouse from there and the flag symbol disappears again.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

There are more English speakers in the US than in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada combined, so there’s that.

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

No this irks me aswell. The language is called English (or American English – still has English in the name), for a reason. It’s not called American.

To use the American flag to represent it is counter-intuitive, and to be honest, confusing – when I first saw it appear in the LFG Tool, I thought it meant that that group was forming on the USA servers rather than the European ones and it meant I couldn’t join it.

Only when I advertised a party myself as English-speaking only, did I realise it infact meant that that group was only looking for English-speaking people, but was indeed still on the European servers.

It’d make alot more sense to use the English (or even British) flag to represent it; Especially for the European servers. Most other games (and videos) do (and if they don’t they use a cross-sectioned flag that is half-English/British, half-USA) to represent the English language. Would just be sensible for Anet to follow suite.

Nationality flags in LFG

Posted by: brunana.8519

brunana.8519

Huh, didn’t even know this was the case. Whenever I’ve seen the US flag, I indeed assumed it meant the group wanted US players (yeah, even though I’m on an EU server…as I never really thought about it deeply). As an English player, I automatically wouldn’t have applied to join a group with the US flag next to it for that reason.

As someone said, the clue is in the name of the language…

Vaspara: Necromancer; Malushka: Mesmer
(Piken Square)
Twitter: @susieteacake