Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FreakyOne.2381

FreakyOne.2381

When I started playing a Necromancer in GW2 I was looking at the models and the sounds both seemed worse than GW1. I thought that my memory was a making the things seem like they were better because I haven’t played GW1 in a couple of years. I launched GW1 today and played my minion master necro. The models for the minions are so much better in GW1. The flesh golem looks more menacing and better than the model for GW2. The bone fiend in GW2 isn’t all that bony. The bone fiend in GW1 is nothing but bones. And the casting of the spells for minions in GW1 sounded menacing. They sound like a sci-fi gun shot shot in GW2.

There have been times I thought GW1 was more advanced from a model stand point than GW2. The textures are often better and spell effects are better in GW2 than GW1.

I am sorry if I am rehashing things that were said before. I don’t visit the forums much and the search didn’t pull up anything that I could find.

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Necros in gw2 are not necromancers. They are darkness mages or cthulhu cultists.

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I agree. Necromancers in GW1 could summon more minions that looked more menacing than in GW2. I actually got scared when I saw a Necro in GW1 running toward me in PvP with like 20 minions. In GW2, I just laugh and continue on my path while swiping the Necro out of my way.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Airwolf.5287

Airwolf.5287

The idea of a minion master is awesome, but I don’t think it would have played out well in wvw.

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Meili Ying.3820

Meili Ying.3820

I think its cool that each Minion in GW2 has its own visual aesthetic. However, some of them look kinda goofy. I mean, the Shadow Fiend looks very huggable rather than scary; just look at the way it bobs around when it moves <3

Fix the Search Function

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

The idea of a minion master is awesome, but I don’t think it would have played out well in wvw.

In Gw1, they could actively be used to heal, and punish people for killing them. They were a very powerful tool.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Comparing the MM from GW with the MM from GW2 is like comparing a lion with a dog in a lion costume.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They could make Jagged horrors spawn frequently and stay out long enough to actually matter… but probably not…

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Remember when, in FA/AB, you would always try to target MM because they were so… “fearsome” unless you had some weird Verata skill.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I have 6 pets/minions on my thief, just sayen :P

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: FreakyOne.2381

FreakyOne.2381

I like the minion in GW but I also understand the mechanics are different in GW2 and why they are different. I really think the minions look like crap in GW2 and how awful the summoning sounds really are. You wouldn’t think that the models would look worse than a game that is 8 years older.

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Buddy.7563

Buddy.7563

Just for anyone who is viewing this thread that didn’t play GW1… Behold the glory that the title of Minion Master used to have.

Attachments:

Tom Badgerstache (Necro)
Gate of Madness [ART]

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

daimasei.4091

Just for anyone who is viewing this thread that didn’t play GW1… Behold the glory that the title of Minion Master used to have.

That remind me the 4-man Sorrow’s Furnace farming. I still miss the times when I was able to summon +30 Bone Fiends combined with Mark of Pain and those hundreds of yellow numbers covering my screen… Ah good old times

-ArenaNet

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

however, 30 minions, doubt it.

Per Player;
Max amount of minions (in GW1) is related to Death Magic rank.
At max rank of 20, max amount of minions is 12.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Minion

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

Nop he’s right, when Sorrow’s Furnace was first released there weren’t any minnion cap at this time. As long as you could keep them alive you could keep spawning new ones ad vitum eternam, that’s why minnion master were all monk as secondary, to use aoe heal.
If I remember well, the standart farming party was made of one of these lovely MM, a warrior , an elementalist and a monk to keep everyone alive.

Good ol’ times

PS : needless to mention using verata’s skills at this stage equaled comitting suicide.

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ah how I miss true MMs. I was a little bummed by the minions in GW2 as well.

Of course, being capped at 10 minions [in GW1] (you could only run 16 death magic between with runes, to get higher you needed boosters like the +1 on a weapon and consumables) after the change to MMs was a bummer too. Still was a blast in AB, FA, and JQ though. Until people started bringing Verata’s Gaze and Verata’s Aura to screw with the MMs. -scowl-

I don’t mind the skins for the minions in GW2, and I like having death nova built in as well, but I definitely don’t feel like a ‘minion master’ anymore.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

daimasei.4091

Nop he’s right, when Sorrow’s Furnace was first released there weren’t any minnion cap at this time. As long as you could keep them alive you could keep spawning new ones ad vitum eternam, that’s why minnion master were all monk as secondary, to use aoe heal.
If I remember well, the standart farming party was made of one of these lovely MM, a warrior , an elementalist and a monk to keep everyone alive.

Good ol’ times

I beg you pardon good sir but I never used a secondary profession on my necro. Too powerful to be taint with an inferior profession (ok, ok, I did it sometimes but never as MM; 8 skill wasn’t enough :P).

By the way, the 4-men team was an MM, and SS (necro of course), a warrior and a monk. And the monk task was to keep the tank alive, no mob had time to even lie a finger on the necros :P

PS : needless to mention using verata’s skills at this stage equaled comitting suicide.

Oh god! I just remember the first time I used Verata’s Aura. I was doing the the previously mentioned farm and I had like 15 bone minions (it was one of my first times and I was trying to capture the bone minions summoned by the stone summit) and when the enchantment ends I was like WTH! Dead in 1 second!

Of course, being capped at 10 minions [in GW1] (you could only run 16 death magic between with runes, to get higher you needed boosters like the +1 on a weapon and consumables) after the change to MMs was a bummer too. Still was a blast in AB, FA, and JQ though. Until people started bringing Verata’s Gaze and Verata’s Aura to screw with the MMs. -scowl-

I remember when they cap the MM. I was so angry I bashed Anet in a forum I used to visit (I thought the MM was finished). Then I started to play and found a build with Aura of the Lich (the original) and Dark Bond and IT WAS AWESOME! The closes thing to Grenth the world as ever know.
Seriously, I remember people asking for a 3rd monk to complete the then-apparently-hard-to-beat Vizunah Square and my MM just going there killing everything without a scratch.
Then Anet change AotL, cap Soul Reaping and nerf the necro over and over and still, the necro remained as the undoubtedly king of PvE.

-ArenaNet

(edited by daimasei.4091)

Necro Minions GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I remember when they cap the MM. I was so angry I bashed Anet in a forum I used to visit (I thought the MM was finished). Then I started to play and found a build with Aura of the Lich (the original) and Dark Bond and IT WAS AWESOME! The closes thing to Grenth the world as ever know.
Seriously, I remember people asking for a 3rd monk to complete the then-apparently-hard-to-beat Vizunah Square and my MM just going there killing everything without a scratch.
Then Anet change AotL, cap Soul Reaping and nerf the necro over and over and still, the necro remained as the undoubtedly king of PvE.

I thought Vizunah was hard the first time I did it, but then I realized my husband could go run 1 team and I could sync the 2nd. Cakewalk then. After heroes….MM on both sides, oh yeah. Technically enough bodies to run 3 full MMs. Just remember to turn off BoM. lol

I actually liked the change to AotL, made running a MM in FoW and UW, much easier (and yes, I do it). So much fun.

Didn’t have an issue with the SR change either, always had full energy.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.