Necromancer, Ranger or Engineer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

Yeah it’s one of those questions again haha, I’ve almost capped my Mesmer to 80 so now I’m deciding on which class to play next. I’ve played a little of each, but not into extensive play. I’m having a hard time deciding, as I like these three classes for different reasons.

Ranger: I have the HoM pets so having a giant black widow is pretty neat.

Engineer: I like the concept of using technology, possibly as a Charr or Asura.

Necromancer: What I played in the original Guild Wars.

Which would you suggest?

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Played all 3 professions extensively (200 + hours at least). I am a player who likes depth and (build) variety. I like to play classes that are somewhat decent in all aspects of the game. I need to be somewhat mobile and be able to take care of myself. From that perspective:

Ranger: Imo the most boring class in the game atm. Is mobile enough but the combat is quite simple / lacks depth and it doesnt flow as nicely as with other classes.

Necromancer: Nice control and enough variety build wise. Relatively easy to play though and lacks depth like ranger. Doesnt have enough mobility either.

Engineer: One of the hardest /deepest classes in the game. Amazing build variety with more changes incoming to add even more builds to that list. Mobility, survivability, burst potential. Engineer has it all .

If you want an easy /relatively faceroll prof/ class go for necro or ranger. If you wnat to play the best class in the game engineer is what you should pick.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Played all 3 professions extensively (200 + hours at least). I am a player who likes depth and (build) variety. I like to play classes that are somewhat decent in all aspects of the game. I need to be somewhat mobile and be able to take care of myself. From that perspective:

Ranger: Imo the most boring class in the game atm. Is mobile enough but the combat is quite simple / lacks depth and it doesnt flow as nicely as with other classes.

Necromancer: Nice control and enough variety build wise. Relatively easy to play though and lacks depth like ranger. Doesnt have enough mobility either.

Engineer: One of the hardest /deepest classes in the game. Amazing build variety with more changes incoming to add even more builds to that list. Mobility, survivability, burst potential. Engineer has it all .

If you want an easy /relatively faceroll prof/ class go for necro or ranger. If you wnat to play the best class in the game engineer is what you should pick.

What?! Ranger is not a faceroll class at all! To actually succeed you need to keep tabs on your pet as much as you do yourself. The problem is that half the people that play rangers act as if there is no pet, and just use bow all day. For example, I run a bunker beastmaster build where I focus on snaring people, and using pet skills and swap for quickness.

I don’t understand the hate. Really. It’s fun disjointed damage, and all the pet types are different and situational. It’s just as versatile as Engy’s toolkits!

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Do you plan to run dungeons? PVP? Just mess around solo? Cause if you plan to do dungeons, all 3 of those classes are meh. Ranger is the worst of them and you will get booted from groups or just flat out ignored if asking for an invite. I have a 80 ranger and necro and both of them are faceroll easy for open world. Only played an engie to mid 30s so can’t really comment much there. Same with PVP since I don’t do it. But all 3 were fun to play. I personally use them as harvest bots now since I really on play my guard since trying to keep up with ascended and legendary gear on 3 toons is way too much work and my guard is a much more fun to me. My advice is play all 3 to level 30 or so and you can get the feel of them and then go with whatever one is the most fun to you.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Cute that people still don’t know ranger was buffed into one of the best PvE dungeon professions with spotter (150 precision aoe, always on) and frost spirit (7% dps flat for everyone in the group), not to mention tons of fury and lots of heals and aoe condi removal. Did you know with fortifying bond, companion’s might, and a sigil of strength, you can keep up 25 might stacks on pet without blasting might? Did you know your pet won’t get boons without fortifying bond? Didn’t think so because, well, your knowledge of ranger profession is nil.

As far as necro and engi goes, they’re both powerful and you’ll have fun playing them, just make sure you’re using meta builds.

Someday people might learn that rangers are A) efficient in pve dungeons and deeper and more complex than they realize. If you think ranger is boring, you don’t know how to play it.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Either Grenadier Engineer to keep 25 Vuln, or a Sword/Warhorn Ranger. Depends what you find more fun, as both are good.

But never Necro, they’re a bottom tier profession.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Reaper.1695

Reaper.1695

What Chopps said. Go Ranger. It’s my main and I’ve invested a ton in him. We’ve had our ups and down, but we are on a decent up right now. I just started to play a GS Sword/Dagger combo and I’m really liking it vs the LB/SB Axe/Axe (or Horn or Torch) combos.

Necro is also very good, but for me, the weapon skills are annoying to use. (this is my opinion, not a general consensus) The skills in Death Shroud is very powerful if traited properly.

Can’t comment on Engi. Ran out of Slots. I also have Thief, Mesmer and Warrior.

Chopps.5047

Engi reminds me a lot of ele. It’s really fun. Rocket boots in wvw are a blast

DrDivine.5378

What Chopps said. Go Ranger. It’s my main and I’ve invested a ton in him. We’ve had our ups and down, but we are on a decent up right now. I just started to play a GS Sword/Dagger combo and I’m really liking it vs the LB/SB Axe/Axe (or Horn or Torch) combos.

Necro is also very good, but for me, the weapon skills are annoying to use. (this is my opinion, not a general consensus) The skills in Death Shroud is very powerful if traited properly.

Can’t comment on Engi. Ran out of Slots. I also have Thief, Mesmer and Warrior.

The last ranger I made I got up only to about level 10 so I don’t want to judge the class so early either. It seemed kinda fun, and the HoM pets look really cool. I just heard bad things about rangers not being so viable, but I guess that’s not entirely true to most.

Chopps.5047

Why do people always hear bad things about ranger? I can explain that.

Ranger wasn’t so strong at release then everyone forgot about them even though they got a bunch of buffs. Some of the biggest buffs happened at the same time shortbow range was reduced from 1200 to 900 which caused an uproar of QQ giving those on the outside the false impression that rangers got nerfed.

I think that explains the apathy towards the profession and it remains the most underestimated and improperly played profession in gw2. If you’re not using (in dungeons) sword, offhand axe, fortifying bond, vigorous spirits, spotter, frost spirit, healing spring, and warhorn for blast/fury, well, you’re doing it wrong.

Too often I see “bearbow” rangers in pve with a bear and longbow. Do not fall into that trap. Use drakes, spiders, cats, birds, and red moa in pve. Never a bear, really, unless ylu have to slot “protect me” for a special reason (like tequatl).

Chopps.5047

Note that if you play ranger, you will have to face those stigmas and stereotypes. If that sounds too burdensome, play another profession. There’s still a lot of ranger haters.

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

I personally don’t hate rangers but the majority you will end up with in a group are mediocre at best and a mediocre ranger isn’t worth the spot he takes up. Problem I see with ranger is they have to work twice as hard to do something other classes can do half heartedly.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

DrDivine.5378

I personally don’t hate rangers but the majority you will end up with in a group are mediocre at best and a mediocre ranger isn’t worth the spot he takes up. Problem I see with ranger is they have to work twice as hard to do something other classes can do half heartedly.

Kinda reminds me of how the Hunter class in WoW where are often referred to as “Huntards” due to a bad rep. The class itself wasn’t bad, it was the astounding amount of players who pulled aggro or just played horribly. In the right hands though, they can be very useful.

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

Ranger, Engineer, Necromancer.
Which would you suggest?

If you enjoy dungeoneering, I suggest avoiding those three professions.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Played all 3 professions extensively (200 + hours at least). I am a player who likes depth and (build) variety. I like to play classes that are somewhat decent in all aspects of the game.

In what world does Rangers face roll anything?

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Ranger, Engineer, Necromancer.
Which would you suggest?

If you enjoy dungeoneering, I suggest avoiding those three professions.

Also this, most people wont want you if you are a necro or engineer. People hate on rangers but wont kick as often if you know what your are doing. The dungeon community isnt nice.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Op my original main is a Mesmer.
I have two others now- a Ranger and and Engineer
Engineer is a very fun and very versatile profession and you have almost endless options- it really can do so much and it just has a very big cool factor- kinda like Mesmer, in that aspect, plays a lot like an elementalist.

Rangers are also amazing and they are very fun – you need to learn how to use your pet properly and you need to weapon swap/skill swap depending on what you are doing .
For solo play they are the best bar none- champ killer, roamer, explorer etc you can pretty much poke your head anywhere and keep it on your neck.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Everyone hates rangers in their dungeon, just fyi.

Posted by: StefanS.4351

StefanS.4351

I’m exactly at the same point but in 2015 with HoT and the elite specs. I’m finished my Chrono and now i don’t know what to play.

Yeah it’s one of those questions again haha, I’ve almost capped my Mesmer to 80 so now I’m deciding on which class to play next. I’ve played a little of each, but not into extensive play. I’m having a hard time deciding, as I like these three classes for different reasons.

Which would you suggest?

Im also exactly at this point: " I am a player who likes depth and (build) variety. I like to play classes that are somewhat decent in all aspects of the game. I need to be somewhat mobile and be able to take care of myself."

mobility is maybe not so important but i like mobility.

is this statement still true in 2015 for scrapper, druid and reaper?

maybe you can help me?

Posted by: Ido.6490

Ido.6490

Also curious about this!

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Most of the info in this thread is terribly dated.

Engineer is currently top tier dps, and kind of fun to play. Lots of little build tweaks that can be made, but Scrapper does not mesh well with the current meta at all. This spec is kind of underwhelming, but it’s a solid class overall. – Most Useful

Necro works well enough with both power (Reaper is slow but hits hard) and condi builds. It’s my favourite class, love the aesthetics and gameplay. You can take them just about anywhere. – Most Fun

Ranger has always been the best class for open world content. This class has also come a long way from its beleaguered past, and the Druid spec is actually quite welcomed in raids now. It’s reportedly fairly strong in PvP and WvW as well. – Most Versatile

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Necromancer is just god mode in PvE, especially if you take that talent that automatically death shrouds on fatality.

Engineer is pretty complicated to play. It’s like having 4-5 different weapon sets with no swapping cooldown. You need to swap between each constantly when skills come off cooldown for optimal play.

Posted by: DeadDragon.5837

DeadDragon.5837

When in doubt just go to the mists PvP lobby. You will then have access to all your skills, and you can try them all out to find what’s most fun for you. They’re all fun for me.

PvE is not that hard in comparison to PvP so IMO that should be the determining factor in which class you pick – the fun of playing them. Even in PvP I’ve managed to make every build I want to use work after enough tweaking, maybe filling in a utility slot skill here and there with something a bit less desirable to make it work.

A sylvari celestial shortbow / staff ranger with a focus on bleeding, immobilizing and healing has been working well for me in PvP. Necro with greatsword / staff mostly condition, with chills adding more damage, and blind / fear adding more chill, has also been working well in PvP.

Engineer I play as an asura, I love the depth and variety of the weapon kits. The asura is so cute running around and flipping, pretty quick with all the swiftness on kit swap too, and the racial skills all match thematically with the engineer class, so he’s one of my PvE heroes. I haven’t tried him in PvP yet though.

(edited by DeadDragon.5837)