Need a ruling on game policy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: graytoni.2836

graytoni.2836

1) Is it legal game wise to try to recruit and pay players to do grinding with you?
For example if I wanted to get a few player to farm wild magic with me to convert to obsidian shards so I can get a bunch would that be ok as I’m paying them for there time and not a product as well as if be with them the whole time?.

2) we all know buying gold is illegal in game for good reason but can you make deals with individual players to buy there in game goods not gold For RL funds , excluding using sites we are talking just normal players.
I know this is verging on the line but I’m curious wetter the line is drawn.
I would love some offical feedback.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

1) yes, you can group up to play. The game has a LFG (looking for group) if you want to try that. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Looking_For_Group

2) yes, and no. You can do it, including paying others with ingame gold/items for services, etc… but if you get scammed you won’t get your stuff back.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

What do you gain by paying someone to farm? The UM and logs/jade/etc cannot be traded.

Perhaps you should seek out a guild of like-minded players? There is a board here for finding guilds, ads in game, and external sites. Try google?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s generally fine as long as you keep to few rules:
1. ingame currencies and/or services only. Paying using RL stuff is against rules.
2. only you are allowed to play on your account. Paying someone to play for you on it is not allowed.
3. Any forms of match manipulation in PvP modes (both sPvP and WvW) are also prohibited. You can, for example, pay someone to team up with you and help you win a match. You’re not allowed to pay someone on opposite team to throw a match for you however.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How, exactly, would you get their Obsidian Shards, as Obsidian Shards are account-bound?

For an individualized official response, you can contact the CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below.

Good luck.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is a long ago post about selling dungeon runs, but it’s the same policy. You can buy or sell ingame services or items with ingame gold/items and you won’t be sanctioned, but support willl not help you if you are scammed. (However the scammer will be sanctioned if its proven s/he scammed).

Hi guys!

I wanted to give you a quick rundown on what involvement Customer Support takes regarding Dungeons; specifically where trading wealth is involved. Let’s look at the two parts of this:

1. We do not reimburse wealth lost to other players for any reason if it is outside of the Black Lion Trading Post. This is because Customer Support can not duplicate wealth. With the volume of requests coming in we alone would damage the economy if we were to restore wealth lost when trading takes place.

2. We terminate accounts permanently for defrauding (scamming). If you are found to make a deal to trade (say, sword for gold) and not hold up your end we will investigate and terminate. If you are the victim of a scam you should submit a support ticket and provide what you lost and the time and date as accurately as you recall. This is usually all we need to research the event but we will ask you if we need more info. You do have a right to know the outcome of these investigations but be aware these take us a few days to resolve.

Please be sure to include the full details of your trade via game chat (any channel is fine) in Guild Wars 2
We absolutely must be able to see the deal being made to find guilt. Do not use voice chat software or other means to communicate while making a sale/trade.

Again; this will help us terminate accounts that are cheating other players but will not result in a recovery of your losses.

Please understand that you are allowed to trade outside of the BLTP – but you will not receive replacements for lost items or gold. The same goes for selling dungeon runs. CS will not suspend or terminate you for selling runs. We will, however, take action if you take payment and not fulfill your end of the bargain.

I’ll watch this thread for questions and clarify where needed. Thanks!

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

2) we all know buying gold is illegal in game for good reason but can you make deals with individual players to buy there in game goods not gold For RL funds , excluding using sites we are talking just normal players.

1. is OK, but you aren’t allowed to trade real-life (RL) ANYthing for in-game stuff.

(In my worst Marlon Brando/Edward G. Robinson fake voice:)

You need someun to bump off your (RL) bruder? All these years we been friends, and only NOW you need sometin’? I’ll tell you what; this one I’ll do for free, cuz’ I don’t like ‘im neider. But, youz jus’ remember when I need sometin’ from you, K? I don’t wanna have to offer you no deal you can’t refuse.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can’t buy your friends’ in-game goods for RL cash, no.

From the User Agreement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/):

You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly:

sell, sub-license, rent, lease, grant a security interest in, borrow, lend, loan, network or engage in any activity that could in any way transfer or provide others access to any Service, Content, Game, or parts thereof, including but not limited to any serial code number, access key or the like.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

can you make deals with individual players to buy there in game goods not gold For RL funds , excluding using sites we are talking just normal players.

This would go against their ToS. You could probably get away with it if you knew someone IRL, but it’s not really different then buying legendaries from shady sites legality wise.

Trading anything in game for goods/currency/or services Directly harms their business model. It’s the same reason why only one person can be the sole owner of an account. It’s all to protect the business model.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s pretty common for games to forbid real money transactions for goods or services. By coincidence, the WoW forum today has a post on this very subject.

Recent actions against real money raid clears

ANet may give it to you.