Need help selecting a class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

Q:

So, I have been playing GW2 for over a year now and unlike every other MMO I’ve played, for some reason I can’t seem to find the “right” class for me. I don’t like having alts so I tend to find a class and just play that 1 class for the rest of the time I’m there. That has been my goal but sadly, I’m still pretty much at a loss. If possible, can you all please help me pick one based upon what I’m wanting out of the game? Oh, and the “pick the class that’s fun” doesn’t help me because I think they are ALL fun. /sigh. I also mainly focus on WvW and PvP but will sometimes run a dungeon when crazy bored. I don’t mind changing builds/gear but would like to keep the same class.

What I’m Looking For:

1. Mobility – I hate playing classes that by default are slow to move around the battlefield. I shouldn’t need traveler’s runes just to keep up with everyone else.

2. Escape Potential – If I get into an “OH CRAP” situation, I’d like to be able to escape. I tend to have a “hit and run” playstyle.

3. Balanced – I really want something that can perform well in all areas of the game. I don’t expect to top any charts but it would be nice to take a camp in WvW yet still be able to go 1v1 against some burst class.

4. Exciting – Played a LB condi build – boring as hell! The D/D is like a MMO on speed…

My Experience So Far:

I have an 80 Thief, Guardian, Warrior, D/D Ele, and a Ranger. Currently, I play the thief most of the time because she just feels like she can do most of what I want better than the rest. Here is my thoughts on each (I am probably wrong…)

1. Thief – Great roamer, decent in PvP and can do PvE w/o too much trouble. I use p/d perplexity in WvW, burst condi in PvP, and P/P zerker in PvE. It’s pretty boring in zergs though as I don’t feel like I can support the team well.

2. Guardian – Fun to tank with but I feel like I get kited all the time. I also don’t feel like my guard can escape a bad situation very well. She’s amazing in PvE though.

3. Warrior – Well balanced in all areas but are completely predictable and too common. I find myself yawning when I play my warrior.

4. D/D Ele – REALLY exciting on all those skills but is feels like I have to go through all these rotations and might-building just to do the damage my other classes can do with the push of 2 buttons. I also don’t much care for any other weapon sets.

5. Ranger – I really love my ranger in almost every aspect but her survival is so limited on my LB variant that if I make 1 or 2 mistakes, it’s over. She also can’t do much against a heavy condi class. PvE is fun but nobody wants a ranger for dungeons. /cry

So, with this wall of text, what do you all think?

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

A:

I was reading your post, and I thought “Oh, this guy is totally a Thief. Ill tell him to play Thief.” then I read you already have one at level 80.

Necro – Its very balanced, but its got about as much mobility as a quadriplegic who has been tranquillized and is being repetitively stun gunned. It does have the best “oh ****” button in the game though, in the form of Death Shroud. Its’ mechanics aren’t exactly the most amazing things in terms of enjoyment value, but it gets the job done, its a very powerful profession if played right.

Mesmer – No mobility. None. Its disabled…Unless you count Blink, which has a horrific recharge time for what it does. Also. squishy. Quite fun to play though.

Engineer – Sounds like it would suit you the most. It has a lot of mobility. I wouldn’t say as much as Thief, but its up there. Its also balanced in the sense that you can do a lot of builds with it that do lots of things, which creates a rather well rounded character. Only thing is, I find it dreadfully boring. You mind find otherwise, because it is a very niche profession, so not everybody enjoys it, but its just one of those professions you have to try to figure out if you like it. I always looked at Engineer thinking it was amazing, then I played it, and realized ill kill myself before levelling one to 80.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Well, all that’s left is mesmer, engineer, and necro.

Necros have no escape capability, so pick one of the others and go for it.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I’d go with the others and say try an Engi. They can be as chaotic as the Ele is or you can make it as boring as a LB ranger…and anything in between. They really are an all around can do a little of everything profession. You want AI to help kill things? Engi has it. You want to be able to stealth? Engi can do it. You want to might stack? Oh hey look, Engi can do that too. You won’t be able to stealth like a thief, or might stack quite like an Ele, and your AI sits around but you can always change your build if you don’t like it at any point. You aren’t quite stuck into a niche like some of the other professions. There are plenty of buttons to push and it’s not boring at all. Also, you have constant, permanent swiftness thanks to the Speedy Kits trait (so long as you are swapping kits every 10sec you have swiftness).

Warning though, starting Engi can be rough. You don’t get access to helpful kits until you are higher levels. Once you get Bomb kit…things get a whole lot better.

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

Thanks for the response folks! I’ll go ahead and try and Engi as they have always looked pretty fun and we all know how much of a troll then can be in PvP. Oh, and Argon, your description of a Necro is just too funny!

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”