Need legendaries to be legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blacktalon.5681

Blacktalon.5681

I really feel that Legendaries need to be more powerful. More stats, some type of specific power to that item( Ex. Thunderfury had 40%ish chance to proc 5 tornadoes that would attack closest targets, drawing a lot of threat), and overall more damage. IMO, a legendary should do more than 5% extra damage and stats.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Legendaries are not legendary because they are powerful.

They have unique skins, the ability to freely customize their stats and are as powerful as ascended weapons.

They will not and should not be anything more than that.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

(edited by Naus the Gobbo.5172)

Blacktalon.5681

Doesn’t sound very legendary to me…

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

This game is about cosmetics, not statistics.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Doesn’t sound very legendary to me…

Then this might not be the game for you. Legendarys wont get any stronger unless they add a new stat tier, which they’ve said they wont do. So yes, you make one for the looks and the fact it can change stats on the fly.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Genesis.4671

Genesis.4671

I really feel that Legendaries need to be more powerful. More stats, some type of specific power to that item( Ex. Thunderfury had 40%ish chance to proc 5 tornadoes that would attack closest targets, drawing a lot of threat), and overall more damage. IMO, a legendary should do more than 5% extra damage and stats.

If that’s the kind of thing you want then go back to playing WoW.

Thankfully GW2 is not WoW.

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I don’t think we should be trying to make GW2 more like other games, especially not WoW.
That being said: the fact that you can change a legendary’s stats at will, and the skins, is what makes them legendary. That is a bigger deal than you are making it out to be.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: Exun.7825

Exun.7825

When only 1% of people would have one we will be able to talk about legendariness. currently there are so many people who have not one but several of them.

In addition, get a legendary is related mostly to luck and time spend on the game.

Blacktalon.5681

Well, I guess we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Well, I guess we are all entitled to our own opinion.

You can ofc also want mounts, raids, open pvp, duelz and whatever else, that however
doesn’t change the game and a lot of players simply play GW2 because it is exactly
not like all those EQ-Clones out there.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

No thanks.

IMO the flaw with the current Legendaries is that for the most part they don’t have their own lore or place in the world, and thus they don’t have their own Legend. Not that it’s not more powerful than Ascended weapons.

The only thing that I’d say that should be added to Legendary weapons is the ability to swap Sigils along with stats and a back story as to why they are Legendary.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

I also think legendaries should be more legendary, but I don’t care about making them powerful or anything.

Just give them a description and a lore. Technically it doesn’t require a huge amount of work to add more text.

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Go play wow if you want an equipment advantage. In GW2 they chose to not add the never ending power creep that wow popularized. They should of kept the power creep 100% out like at launch where exotic was the highest tier.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Legendary is max stats, what do you want more?

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I don’t think the skins are necessarily “legendary” and would like to see more done with them. A game that’s all about cosmetics for the most part, they’re pretty bland all things considered.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

What irks me is that they are called Legendaries, when there are no legends about them.

It’s only The Flameseeker Prophecies that got a story behind it.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The WoW hate is strong, though misguided and hypocritical. There are many aspects within GW2 that originated from WoW/EQ2, simply ignoring those while vilifying other ideas because “don’t wanna be like WoW” is short sighted.

The issue with GW2 now is it lacks progression, whether that be gear, dungeons, etc, cosmetics can only take you so far. Without some form of progression or player influence on the game, it will eventually lead to stagnation. Judging by the content of HoT so far, even the expansion will cause a plateau for older players quicker then most other games expansions.

While I do not think GW2 should add in a gear grind or gear gated content(even though it already does), the idea of improving/expanding legendaries or ascended should not be completely ignored.

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

First off, this isn’t World of Warcraft. If you want to “legendary” weapons that are worthwhile for that particular expansion, then go play that game. I don’t see how a legendary weapon should lose relevance either. Shadowmourne anyone? The very weapon that contains the souls of all of Arthas’ most powerful lieutenants, and fragments of the frozen throne itself….but 3 expansions later it’s just a piece of glowy crap that sells for a few gold. Yeah that’s so legendary….I feel the power 3 expansions later….wait no I don’t, because I would be kicked out of guilds for running around with a weapon from 3 expansions ago.

To me, what makes a weapon legendary is relevance. Changing stats on a whim is great for me. I use greatswords on several different toons and they all use different stats. It’s account bound, I can transmute it’s skin to other weapons. Seriously, Anet did everything right with legendary power curve. You still have to have skill to play your class. You can’t just coast through the game now because you got a legendary that can “summon 5 tornadoes that fight for you”. If you like WoW, then go play WoW. It’s super easy for a reason.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

So the only way something is “legendary” is if it’s statistically superior? This game is designed around Horizontal Progression. “The end game gear of today, is the end game gear of tomorrow”. If you want vertical progression there are plenty of games out there that offer it, GW2 is not one of them.

I’m extremely happy with the current stats that legendary weapons have. They don’t need to do more damage then ascended, if you don’t think the skin and stat swapping is worth it, then don’t make one.

(I though thunderfury made lighting jump from targets drawing extra agro, don’t remember it ever summoning tornadoes…)

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Our legendaries for GW2 aren’t like other games. This isn’t much of a tiered progression game where those who can afford the best will dominate the landscape. This is the problem with your idea, you would NEED a legendary to be able to compete with others, thus making them more common than a standard skin. GW2 is a game based around skins and I like that you don’t need to have a weapon to be able to be proficient in the game. If you like the skin/footfalls you get the legendary but you aren’t forced into it.

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

maybe they should make it so each legendary, when unsheathed, summons a ghost of a person from GW1 that follows the player around for 5 minutes, kneeling down kissing their backsides and telling them how great they are for the entire 5 minutes…

Miku.6297

maybe they should make it so each legendary, when unsheathed, summons a ghost of a person from GW1 that follows the player around for 5 minutes, kneeling down kissing their backsides and telling them how great they are for the entire 5 minutes…

100% signed and supported ~~ Although it would be even more legendary if it were Treahern kneeling down and praising the player constantly, but he would probably end up getting all the credit for anything that happened again….

Gern.2978

….There are many aspects within GW2 that originated from WoW/EQ2…

Only in the most basic sense. For example: both WoW and GW2 have dungeons, but the “dungeons” in both games are very different from another. Like that similarity, nearly all the aspects which the two games share are very basic ones which nearly all MMO’s share simply out of neccessity brought on by how they work. Like tab-targeting or 5 man groups.

The issue with GW2 now is it lacks progression, whether that be gear, dungeons, etc, cosmetics can only take you so far. Without some form of progression or player influence on the game, it will eventually lead to stagnation….

Here we agree to an extent. Currently, the only real horizontal progression is PvP/WvW rank, Fractal Level and ascended gear, which isn’t enough. However, that is why they are adding a multitude of specializations. Those will provide all the horizontal progression a person could want, without instituting the painful gear grind of WoW.

While I do not think GW2 should add in a gear grind or gear gated content(even though it already does), the idea of improving/expanding legendaries or ascended should not be completely ignored.

The only gear grind which is currently has, is ascended gear, which only need for fractals. The stat boost that ascended gear gives you is so minuscule as to be completely negligible; a person in full ascended gear doesn’t have a significant advantage over someone in full exotics, as it should be.

The only real changes I think that should be made to Legendaries, other than the changes that A-net has already said they are going to add, should be an addition of Legendary backstories, and some better skins for several of them. Quip and the moot are both examples of this. While cool looking, they are both obvious jokes, and it would be nice to have more serious looking skins for Legendary pistols and maces.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

I really feel that Legendaries need to be more powerful. More stats, some type of specific power to that item( Ex. Thunderfury had 40%ish chance to proc 5 tornadoes that would attack closest targets, drawing a lot of threat), and overall more damage..

This isn’t Diablo 3 my friend^^

Btw the new barb set is all about tornados so… maybe D3 …^^

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

It’s kind of strange. Players wanted more prestige in gaining a legendary, but then down play them??. Anet gave what the players wanted in HoT. New legendaries that aren’t tradeable and are worth having, so I’m confused ~_~.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Hah that’s sad. No. One of the worst things in this game atm is “high level gear” with stat bonuses. At launch we were promised that the shinies would be shinies only, not some stupid WoW marginal progression system that doesn’t promote build diversity.

Ascended gear is bad as it is, if they gave legendaries bigger bonuses in combat it would go against the whole buttering they went on about masteries being the progression in this game. REMOVE ASCENDED GEAR WITH INCREASED STATS FROM THIS GAME.
LEGENDARIES AND ASCENDED GEAR SHOULD BE ABOUT COSMETICS AND CONVENIENCE ONLY.

Gern.2978

Hah that’s sad. No. One of the worst things in this game atm is “high level gear” with stat bonuses. At launch we were promised that the shinies would be shinies only, not some stupid WoW marginal progression system that doesn’t promote build diversity.

Ascended gear is bad as it is, if they gave legendaries bigger bonuses in combat it would go against the whole buttering they went on about masteries being the progression in this game. REMOVE ASCENDED GEAR WITH INCREASED STATS FROM THIS GAME.

You are way over estimating the effectiveness of Ascended gear. The stat bonus from ascended gear is so minimal as to be completely negligible; a person in full exotics is just as effective as someone in full ascended. Ascended gear is really just for agony infusion slots for Fractals.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Gear not being the main focus of the game is one of the things that GW2 has got right, as opposed to a game like WoW, IMO.

Credit where credit is due…

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I have no opinion either way on a stat increase…but a combat proc (visual on wielder or opponent) would be pretty cool, and more legendary without a damage boost.

JQ Druid

Beldin.5498

.but a combat proc (visual on wielder or opponent) would be pretty cool, and more legendary without a damage boost.

Hmm .. something like that ?

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: saniok.8702

saniok.8702

Tired of fashion wars already? You may need a new game, my friend

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Well HoT new non tradeable legendary may pull me enough to start working on one provided that they set it so everything related to them is not tradeable too.

There is no point (for me) to get one while they are just measure of farming/wallet. If they put it behind a lot of hard content (mandatory dungeons and WWW should included too, but most important part should be done solo) then I may be interested again.

EU / Aurora Glade

Beldin.5498

Well HoT new non tradeable legendary may pull me enough to start working on one provided that they set it so everything related to them is not tradeable too.

There is no point (for me) to get one while they are just measure of farming/wallet. If they put it behind a lot of hard content (mandatory dungeons and WWW should included too, but most important part should be done solo) then I may be interested again.

I know what you mean. I would also never drive a Maserati even if i got it as gift,
since everyone with money could buy that. I only ever drive my soapbox car
that i build with my own hands ^^

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

While I agree completely that legendaries should not be able to be sold on the TP, having one now shouldn’t be frowned upon. A lot of players did make them rather than buying them so they aren’t exactly a wallet size indicator. I put myself in the poor house crafting Dreamer, so try not to look down on everyone who is using an old legendary.

Beldin.5498

Btw.: they should make them really 100% self farmed then. So no 250 T6 mats that
you can buy at the TP .. nope all those mats have to be farmed by yourself.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

It would be nice to have sigil’s to be “unlock able” on legendaries. Its expensive to change certain sigils around when you change the stats. Of course I don’t bother with it as it’s just a waste of gold. So kind of makes the legendary stat change feature mediocre. There was a thread created about this awhile back but there were a few people who thought it was too OP for some reason. Still would like this tho as its only horizontal progression nothing vertical.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Going by your posting history, you really might want to already start searching for a new mmo. GW2 won’t keep you happy.

Suggestions like:
- more tank (tanks being able to soak damage, taunt more aka taunt in general)
- more gear inflation
- legendarys being better than other weapons (aka more horizontal progression)
- etc.

You make a lot of comparisons to WoW. As was pointed out, this is not WoW and a lot of people play it exactly because it’s not WoW. Some of GW2 most core ideas and design decision go absolutely against the theme of your suggestions.

If I may suggest, try Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online or any of the other bazillion Everquest/WoW clones.

Blacktalon.5681

Going by your posting history, you really might want to already start searching for a new mmo. GW2 won’t keep you happy.

Suggestions like:
- more tank (tanks being able to soak damage, taunt more aka taunt in general)
- more gear inflation
- legendarys being better than other weapons (aka more horizontal progression)
- etc.

You make a lot of comparisons to WoW. As was pointed out, this is not WoW and a lot of people play it exactly because it’s not WoW. Some of GW2 most core ideas and design decision go absolutely against the theme of your suggestions.

If I may suggest, try Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online or any of the other bazillion Everquest/WoW clones.

Im not looking for wow because they destroyed their game years ago. Im simply looking for a little more out of the legendaries, doesn’t have to be crazy just something a little more appealing. A story behind them, not being able to buy them on the TP, something a little more to work towards. In any lore in almost any fictional story, a weapon has some ability that makes it desirable. LOTR, any story relating to Camelot, Greek legends, Harry potter, any movie or tv show/fiction, all point towards items that have a past(legendary), have a story, and have special powers. The only story I have ever heard that something is desired, simply for the looks of it, is the Arkenstone in the hobbit(also caused madness).

I understand the dynamics of the game, and I am going to continue doing researching on the ability to hold agro. The ability to reskin items is awesome, but is it honestly terrible to ask for a little more out of something that takes half a year, to a year to farm? I am not asking for the game to be more like Warcraft. I like the game, otherwise I wouldn’t play. I would like more to work towards though… I don’t care what it is. Mounts, cool toys, it doesn’t matter… skins shouldn’t be the driving force of any game.
Researching HoT, it looks like they are going to be implementing more of that, and I’m excited.

nesh.7234

While I agree completely that legendaries should not be able to be sold on the TP, having one now shouldn’t be frowned upon. A lot of players did make them rather than buying them so they aren’t exactly a wallet size indicator. I put myself in the poor house crafting Dreamer, so try not to look down on everyone who is using an old legendary.

Sorry if it sounded like that, it’s just that to me farming for the item was never interesting and I can’t see anything “legendary” about that — it should be about story, journey and struggle to get to it (for bonus points add some branching paths).

OTOH if the current ones had somewhat lower prices I can definitely myself buying gems to get them, also except for swords there is no (IMO) good looking skins.

EU / Aurora Glade

nesh.7234

Btw.: they should make them really 100% self farmed then. So no 250 T6 mats that
you can buy at the TP .. nope all those mats have to be farmed by yourself.

No farming if possible, make it so that we need to use them before they become legendary, complete something, kill xxxx of stuff with them, anything than just pure item farming, then add gifts obtained using map, www, dungeon, whatever completion to the mix (getting a item then enchanting it with them so it can become a thing we building), I’d pay for the ability to name them when finished too.

EU / Aurora Glade

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

You are way over estimating the effectiveness of Ascended gear. The stat bonus from ascended gear is so minimal as to be completely negligible; a person in full exotics is just as effective as someone in full ascended. Ascended gear is really just for agony infusion slots for Fractals.

Oh then we could solve the problem by putting infusion slots on exotic gear right? right? No, because you like everybody else is drooling over WoW gear progressing and put that up as an excuse. If everyone really wanted GW2 to not be about the gear, then make the whole game like spvp.
Anything apart from the spvp gear system is gear progression and that is what we’re against, right? Or did I just put the word fun before gear progression in your mouth? I’m sorry..

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Oh then we could solve the problem by putting infusion slots on exotic gear right? right? No, because you like everybody else is drooling over WoW gear progressing and put that up as an excuse. If everyone really wanted GW2 to not be about the gear, then make the whole game like spvp.
Anything apart from the spvp gear system is gear progression and that is what we’re against, right? Or did I just put the word fun before gear progression in your mouth? I’m sorry..

No, you put the words “for me fun” infront of your statement. Ascended gear is a non issue stat wise. Letting people farm away insane amounts of time for this small an increase, thus retaining that player crowd, is a good business decision.

Ascended gear progression, while anoying to some, is a huge factor in keeping people playing. You might not like it, but I’m sure you are enjoying the fact the game is still supported and not on life support due to mass player exodus.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

That’s not how Guild Wars works.

If you make legendaries more powerful you take them from being optional grinds to necessary grinds if you want speedrun groups to take you in dungeons or want to be on the same level as other players using them in wvw.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

There is nothing legendary about Legendaries making the stats higher won’t help with this. It was cool seeing people with Legendaries within the first month of release but now everyone and their grandma has one.

Blacktalon.5681

That’s not how Guild Wars works.

If you make legendaries more powerful you take them from being optional grinds to necessary grinds if you want speedrun groups to take you in dungeons or want to be on the same level as other players using them in wvw.

Even if you only did procs on legendaries, you could make them pve only procs. It doesn’t have to influence PVP or WVW.

Blacktalon.5681

1337 views:) Sorry, just had to post lol

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

No thanks.

IMO the flaw with the current Legendaries is that for the most part they don’t have their own lore or place in the world, and thus they don’t have their own Legend. Not that it’s not more powerful than Ascended weapons.

The only thing that I’d say that should be added to Legendary weapons is the ability to swap Sigils along with stats and a back story as to why they are Legendary.

^This
Legendaries have no legend behind them, what makes them way less legendary IMO. Plus they are not a reward for you progression and time put on the game content, but most of time a product of some crazy gold farming like champion trains and now SW farming, funny thing about this is that I see a lot of new players reaching lvl 80 then spend 5, 6 hours/day on this crazy farms craft their legendaries in 1 month and quit game.

About the sigil/rune swapping I think that should be an option to all armor and weapon, the current system is kinda kittened. <—-LMAO why i can’t say rettaarrdded?

The issue with GW2 now is it lacks progression, whether that be gear, dungeons, etc, cosmetics can only take you so far. Without some form of progression or player influence on the game, it will eventually lead to stagnation….

Here we agree to an extent. Currently, the only real horizontal progression is PvP/WvW rank, Fractal Level and ascended gear, which isn’t enough. However, that is why they are adding a multitude of specializations. Those will provide all the horizontal progression a person could want, without instituting the painful gear grind of WoW.

The expansion will be bringing a grinding factor, of course that grinding new skills and new ways to play is far better than grinding a numerical upgrade, but at the end of the day it’s still a grind as they said you wont be able to beat the new content without them. I honestly would like a 3 month grinding to get all those skills and finally beat the content, but I think Anet will keep things casual and this will be a 50 hours endeavor in the best scenario.

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

(edited by Khalisto.5780)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

legendaries lost their legendary title because you can easily buy them from TP. You can see more legendaries then exotic drops nowdays

Miku.6297

legendaries lost their legendary title because you can easily buy them from TP. You can see more legendaries then exotic drops nowdays

Hyperbole abounds, but I do agree legendaries are little more then a way to show how much gold you have, not what you have achieved.

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Uh no, just no. 12+% is not negligible. Weapons making up the bulk of that 12% increase. All content can be done in armor lesser then Ascended but not as effectively. The increase to Legendary/Ascended Tier gear is already high enough with the added benefit of legendary being stat changing.