Network Error Rollback?

Network Error Rollback?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

I was in the middle of gathering and remapping all the new spawn locations. I went to port to the next map and got kicked with a network error. I couldn’t log in to the client or site for a while. I finally get in and I’m rolled back. Standing in the middle of the previous map with none of the ore I’d just gathered. The kicker? All the nodes show that I mined them already.

So thanks for shafting me.

A little fancy editing since people can’t see past that last line. The “nodes have been harvested” flag was still triggered despite the rollback to before it happening. Thus I lost out on a once-a-day deal. Why don’t rollbacks effect these timed flags? Now read the whole thread before clicking reply and telling me to shush and that it wasn’t such a big deal.

(edited by Pennry.9215)

Network Error Rollback?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Deleted…rethought my response.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Network Error Rollback?

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

I lost couple of powerful bloods I just farmed due to rollback >.<

Network Error Rollback?

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Life happens…. Breathe in and breathe out….. the only thing that would count is if you had a precursor drop and got a rollback….

Network Error Rollback?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

and it reset my easy t6 nodes…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Network Error Rollback?

Pennry.9215

Oh to be so vain that one’s principles change based on magnitude.

The point being: A rollback changed character placement and what items it had but not it’s flags. Kill a world boss, get loot, get rolled back, lose loot and not be able to get it again for the day. Do a Guild Mission, get Commendations/loot, get rolled back lose both and not be able to do it again for the week.

With more and more getting bound to timed flags, I can just see the influx of rage. Timed lock-outs are bad enough, but to lose them to server errors is just a bit too much.

Network Error Rollback?

Vayne.8563

There’s a great line from the movie January Man. The lead says when someone got upset about something, in ten years, who’ll remember.

It’s free nodes. It’s not a huge deal. Today our guild lost a bounty due to a server reset. I didn’t get any of the currency personally from today and I probably won’t get it this week…all due to a server reset.

If this is the worst thing I have to worry about in my life, I’d be ecstatic. You know, if it was a precusor drop, I could see you being bent out of shape about it, but some gathering nodes?

I feel this is a huge over-reaction.

Network Error Rollback?

Pennry.9215

Yet another reply stuck on the one case’s magnitude and not the core problem. Let’s all ignore that character and account flags don’t get rolled back and just concentrate on Pennry losing out on a bit of coin. Even if it was a lost Precursor, I could get another any number of ways, most of which can be done at any time and repeated all day.

Network Error Rollback?

Vayne.8563

Yet another reply stuck on the one case’s magnitude and not the core problem. Let’s all ignore that character and account flags don’t get rolled back and just concentrate on Pennry losing out on a bit of coin. Even if it was a lost Precursor, I could get another any number of ways, most of which can be done at any time and repeated all day.

You made a thread and ended the thread with a sardonic set of words that made it seem like you were somehow being unfairly targeted. Like the company did this on purpose or something.

Gee I can’t ever remember playing any other MMO that had an issue and there was a roll back. It’s never happened before in the history of MMOs.

See, if you’d phrased the original post as you being not upset at all, but you feel that this could be bad for the game, then you’d be far more believable now when you’re trying to sound like you’re just doing your bit. You were kitten , you made a thread. It’s obvious from how the thread was worded exactly how you felt about it.

The whole, yes but it’s much worse for other people thing sorta doesn’t work when you post what you did.

Network Error Rollback?

Pennry.9215

You must not know how threads work. You replied at the end of it, thus replying to the whole thing. You didn’t quote the OP to be specific. Of course the OP was posted in rage. I was randomly booted and lost out. How does that change the ability to discuss the core problem?

Network Error Rollback?

Vayne.8563

You must not know how threads work. You replied at the end of it, thus replying to the whole thing. You didn’t quote the OP to be specific. Of course the OP was posted in rage. I was randomly booted and lost out. How does that change the ability to discuss the core problem?

The core problem is is that every MMO I’ve ever played has had problems and rollbacks. If it happens all the time, it’s certain a problem. If it happens once a month, less so. If the rollback is short term it’s even less of a problem.

So let’s pretend there is a problem here. There was an issue and it caused a roll back. How will your post fix it? Do we know what caused it? Do we know if it’s a one time thing or something that is more endemic to the system? Do we know it might not have happened if the devs weren’t all away this weekend at a con?

The truth is, nothing that has been said in this thread will or won’t fix that problem if it exists. Any kind of technical endeavor is going to have problems. My banks website goes down sometimes and banks make errors. Sure you can kitten about them, that’s fine…but admit it’s kittening.

Because there’s no kind of constructive feedback in a thread that asks for something not to happen that happens all the time in MMOs. No code is perfect. No hardware is perfect. Stuff like this WILL happen.

So yeah, I read your OP, I responded (and thought better of it earlier) and now we’re calling something a problem that, well yeah it’s a problem, but there’s no solution to it. Even if they fix what went wrong today,. tomorrow it could be something else.

It’s the nature of the beast.