New Armor Sets

New Armor Sets

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I love certain pieces of these armour sets. The male Light top and to an extent the pants are pretty nice while the human medium top is just gorgeous and dyes beautifully. Other pieces I really don’t see myself using. Most of the helmets are a bit too out there for me and the hilarious female heavy with its castle boobs is actually rather sad to look at considering the male chestpiece would look lovely on women. It’d be nice to get a set for women that isn’t a sternum-destoying boobplate.

I really want to see more armour designs which resemble GW1 designs. Just thinking about Light here but there’s nothing like Necromancer Luxon, Mesmer Elite Rogues or any Monk or Ritualist styles. Yes, those professions are gone, but must the aesthetics have been stripped away too? Medium armour had an issue that was the reverse of GW2’s issue… too few coats xDD. It took until Nightfall for females to get a trenchcoat. Why not use some of these old designs? They belong to Anet already, after all.

New Armor Sets

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

I hope we can get some parts of the set without having to buy the full thing… I just want 2 parts of it!

New Armor Sets

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Why does everyone automatically assume that this will only be available in the gem store ?

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why does everyone automatically assume that this will only be available in the gem store ?

Because that would fit Anet’s current “RNG boxes are cool” policy the best.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I feel bad for the armor designers. They’ve been working on this armor for MONTHS (according to the .dat files), and people are bashing it like crazy! :’(

The armorsets aren’t bad either. In fact, they’re rather amazing! But it’s the small things which ruin it. (ANOTHER poofy trenchcoat…)

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

Because that would fit Anet’s current “RNG boxes are cool” policy the best.

They won’t be in RNG boxes, you can simply buy it for gems in gem store, like the current skins are.

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

New Armor Sets

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I feel bad for the armor designers. They’ve been working on this armor for MONTHS (according to the .dat files), and people are bashing it like crazy! :’(

The armorsets aren’t bad either. In fact, they’re rather amazing! But it’s the small things which ruin it. (ANOTHER poofy trenchcoat…)

You cannot create something to please everyone. And after complaining so much that light armor have skirts nearly everywhere and medium armor have coats on nearly every single set, we get…a big skirt and a trenchcoat.

They won’t be in RNG boxes, you can simply buy it for gems in gem store, like the current skins are.

Why are you so sure ? Did I miss something ?

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

First, thank you Arenanet for making Gem store armors, the first new sets since launch, for direct sale. I can’t say thank you enough and pray that there are many more to come.

However. I can’t let that get in the way of offering an honest critique of the armors in question.

I can see why many find them ugly. I personally like most of the Heavy set for human/norn/sylvari females. The boots are ugly, but the boots are ugly on all three sets, so the disappointment is universal for the foot ware.

IMO, the light and medium sets had potential, but were ruined by elements so ugly that it’s hard to understand what would motivate an artist to design them that way.

Most female armors in the game that have been “ruined” by hideous elements seem to have been designed that way in support of prudish/puritanical/anti-feminine design aesthetics. The near obsession with making sure that as little skin as possible below the neck should lay bare, or that the female form be barely discernible, is getting old and is ruining the aesthetics of the game.

Do we really need metal chest plates that look like electroplated washboards on Light Armor? Or an ugly bib, apparently fastened over some sort of broad cushion and held in place by a half tied bow tie for the female medium armor? Really? I’m actually expecting burkas to be the next volley in the war against the feminine. (It’s almost always patriarchal societies looking to subjugate women that impose the more de-feminizing modes of dress upon women as a means of controlling that which they fear).

The Frankenstein’s Monster inspired boots just cement the impression.

Please, enough already. 85%+ of the armor skins in the game could satisfy the most conservative and restrictive tastes in feminine fashion. I’m not asking for skins as risque as the sometimes over the top armors from TERA Online, but the lengths to which most armor skins go to avoid anything less than 90% coverage is absurd.

I know there are, thank goodness, some clear exceptions to the rule in the game, but they are few and far between.

Armor skins don’t have to show a lot of skin to be attractive, but too many armors, these included, seem to be rendered ugly due to a deliberate strategy of ensuring they aren’t the least bit “sexy” or feminine, at any cost.

I have been dying to buy new armor skins and have been prepared to spend money outfitting numerous characters to reward the offering of attractive armor designs for sale on the gem store. These armors are not them and, with the expectation of maybe one purchase of the Heavy armor set, I can not spend money to reward you for offering ugly light and medium armor sets clearly designed to be as unflattering and de-feminizing as possible.

Can we end the aesthetic war on femininity and, gasp, sensuality in armor design? Please?

BTW, all three armor designs could have been saved. It’s not like the work on them is entirely horrible. You can see the potential. Well, the boots are pretty horrible work, but most of the rest could have been rendered attractive sans obsessive fear of femininity.

(edited by Fiontar.4695)

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

but I love the boots O-O
I think the armour sets have a lot of potential if you mix and match and I think dyes will do a lot for them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
At least it will bring some varied aesthetics to the game since people are quite creative- just see the huge mix and match armour thread.

I am also really glad that they will be for direct sale- now my hope is that you can use various elements from one set on different characters, faint hope but still…

Gunnar’s Hold

New Armor Sets

Fiontar.4695

but I love the boots O-O
I think the armour sets have a lot of potential if you mix and match and I think dyes will do a lot for them.
At least it will bring some varied aesthetics to the game since people are quite creative- just see the huge mix and match armour thread.

I am also really glad that they will be for direct sale- now my hope is that you can use various elements from one set on different characters, faint hope but still…

I love to mix and match. Unfortunately the chest pieces for medium and light are, imo, just bad. Sadly, for medium, the chest piece always dictates the degree to which any look will be “coat like”. The shorter coat here is nice, but the rest of the piece is just horrible. It really does look like any woman wearing this coat must don a cushion strapped across their cleavage, with a well starched overlay under the coat from waist to neck to ensure that there is no expression of femininity.

So many have been hoping for more medium chest pieces that are either very short coats, or not coats at all. Very sad to see this short coat ruined. Not much else worth adding to a mix-n-match, imo, which is sad.

BTW, we already have boots similar to these in game. Over-sized, bulky and appearing to be so inflexible that one would probably have no range of motion for the ankle or the foot. Try walking around in fully clamped ski-boots all day and see how well that works out for comfort and mobility. These look more like torture devices to me than viable footwear!

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Enough with the coats and skirts! WTB pants for female light armor (not these skirt/pants hybrids we have now).

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

but I love the boots O-O

I love to mix and match. Unfortunately the chest pieces for medium and light are, imo, just bad. Sadly, for medium, the chest piece always dictates the degree to which any look will be “coat like”. The shorter coat here is nice, but the rest of the piece is just horrible. It really does look like any woman wearing this coat must don a cushion strapped across their cleavage, with a well starched overlay under the coat from waist to neck to ensure that there is no expression of femininity.

So many have been hoping for more medium chest pieces that are either very short coats, or not coats at all. Very sad to see this short coat ruined. Not much else worth adding to a mix-n-match, imo, which is sad.

BTW, we already have boots similar to these in game. Over-sized, bulky and appearing to be so inflexible that one would probably have no range of motion for the ankle or the foot. Try walking around in fully clamped ski-boots all day and see how well that works out for comfort and mobility. These look more like torture devices to me than viable footwear!

But I particularly like the medium coat too..
Seriously though- I am trying to figure out from your post what kind of armour it is that you would like to see and consider feminine- I would love it if you can give me an example of what you like.
I am a woman and I play female characters- I consider all of them attractive as well as sexy and they wear a wide range of cover from evening gown revealing to from fitting full cover and some in between.

For medium armour that is not a coat or anything bizarre there is always human T1

For me it all depends on how I see my characters e.g I find the current store skins hideous on all of them while I rocked the lvl 9 Beetletun med trench coat on my Engi until I was lvl 60.

As for foot torture I am wearing a pair of Doc Martins atm

Gunnar’s Hold

New Armor Sets

Fiontar.4695

but I love the boots O-O

But I particularly like the medium coat too..
Seriously though- I am trying to figure out from your post what kind of armour it is that you would like to see and consider feminine- I would love it if you can give me an example of what you like.
I am a woman and I play female characters- I consider all of them attractive as well as sexy and they wear a wide range of cover from evening gown revealing to from fitting full cover and some in between.

For medium armour that is not a coat or anything bizarre there is always human T1

For me it all depends on how I see my characters e.g I find the current store skins hideous on all of them while I rocked the lvl 9 Beetletun med trench coat on my Engi until I was lvl 60.

As for foot torture I am wearing a pair of Doc Martins atm

As to what kind of armor I’d like to see, this is closer to what I would like to see for Light Armor and the medium armor concept art I’d love to see on the gem store, respectively:

Attachments:

New Armor Sets

Posted by: Kaiser.5439

Kaiser.5439

The light armor set for female shows skin in the weirdest place; the abdomen? Really? The set isn’t even that flattering enough to even warrant showing an abdomen, the legs may have worked tho. Unfortunately, there are a lot of light armor sets like this for females and personally, i think it looks cheap and rushed

New Armor Sets

Fiontar.4695

Well, I did buy the Heavy Armor on one account and am totally happy. (I hide the helm. It may go with the set, but I personally don’t like it).

I also bought the Light armor, for the helm and shoulders, for the second account. Getting a better look at the other parts, I just don’t see using any of them in a mix-n-match. Good thing I really like the helm and shoulders. However, if this set had been a lot better, I would have bought at least one more, possibly two.

The medium armor. The way medium armor works, the chest piece is key. The cut of the coat is nice, but it is 100% ruined by the bib. A bib? Really? I know it has another name, but the forum will censor it, so I’ll just call it an ugly, outfit destroying bib.

If I can find the item codes some where, I might try to preview the individual pieces to see if there is any mix-n-match potential, but if there had been no bib on this set, I would have bought two. If these are limited run, I might have bought three.

So, if the light and medium sets had been better, I would have bought 5 to 7 skins total. Given the poor job on those two skins, I’ve bought two skins total and may, possibly, buy one more.

Thanks again for at least trying. I really appreciate that you are selling new armor skins on the gem store. I would have expected at least 4-5 sets for each armor class by now, but at least it’s a start. Please, though, next time, better skins, ok? Also, please drop the puritanical, anti-feminine sensibilities and get some tasteful/functional/sexy armors into the mix?

We have enough “blah” female armors to cover the next four years…

(edited by Fiontar.4695)

New Armor Sets

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

They are not my taste, but since I see people running around in them they do please some players. Fine by me.

New Armor Sets

Fiontar.4695

I spent an hour in the sPvP lobby trying to find a mix-n-mtch for the new medium armor that would work. I realized that the shoulders work with almost nothing, because the front embellishments float way to far forward.

I think the best replacement I found for the horrid bibbed coat is the T1 Human Cultural Armor. Actually works with the other elements of the new set.

The leg armor creates an interesting look with the Krytan Gem Store top, but the new shoulders don’t work at all and the other elements of the two sets don’t mix well.

There are some combos with the bulky medium armors that are ok, if you like the bulky medium armors, which I don’t. Considering I almost never see those looks on anyone in game, I’m guessing few people do like them.

Oh well…