New Beta Achievements under "General"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Glaurung.1076

Glaurung.1076

They added new beta achievements with the patch. The question is: Will the AP and Mastery transfer to the main account?

(pic taken from reddit)

http://i.imgur.com/th5afOO.jpg?1

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I also noticed these. They say beta WEEKEND achievements so that makes me wonder if there is another beta weekend not far off. Maybe they are just the achievements from the last BWE though.
I sincerely hope these achievements are a mistake though because I do not want to play the beta weekend events even though I preordered because I don’t want the expansion spoiled for me and the miss out of 5AP, as an achievement hunter, would disappoint me.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: SD ParagonVhailor.9160

SD ParagonVhailor.9160

Interesting. I too am very curious to know if the points gained will stay with you when the real deal comes out. It seems odd to have an achievement category with rewards like that if not, but on the other hand beta stuff tends to not stick.

Maybe we’ll luck out and get a clarification from someone in the know.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

I also noticed these. They say beta WEEKEND achievements so that makes me wonder if there is another beta weekend not far off. Maybe they are just the achievements from the last BWE though.
I sincerely hope these achievements are a mistake though because I do not want to play the beta weekend events even though I preordered because I don’t want the expansion spoiled for me and the miss out of 5AP, as an achievement hunter, would disappoint me.

Why would they put in the beta achievements from the last beta when that beta had no achievements what so ever.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Why would they put in the beta achievements from the last beta when that beta had no achievements what so ever.

Just my guess,

Maybe to try get more players to play the beta content to the fullest instead of just playing for few hours or just playing the Rev outside of the beta content.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Interesting. I too am very curious to know if the points gained will stay with you when the real deal comes out. It seems odd to have an achievement category with rewards like that if not, but on the other hand beta stuff tends to not stick.

They also give mastery points. May be it is for the next beta and people can get more mastery points with this and the beta-achievements should not be visible outside of the beta but some developer forgot a “if beta then”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just my guess,

Maybe to try get more players to play the beta content to the fullest instead of just playing for few hours or just playing the Rev outside of the beta content.

^

I’m going to bet this is it. They had people doing the beta, but they were spread out all over the world and many didn’t play long hours, no gain you know. This will encourage people to get in the beta area and play for a long time to get the achieve and mastery points.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Nice to see this. I guess that I wasn’t the only player who decided that aside from having a quick look at the elites in the last beta, there was no incentive to encourage me into HOT.

If the achievements remain on the account it will have the desired effect and I for one, will actually play participate this time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I admit something like this would push me into playing long hours on a beta char in the new maps. There were a lot of posts about the lack of any sort of progression and if those mastery points remain on the account for use with the expansion, that’s pretty sweet.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Glaurung.1076

Glaurung.1076

can we plz get and official answer on this?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The large download was a clue to another beta weekend in the works. Or did you think your client wouldn’t have HoT baked in whether you bought it or not.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

JediYoda.1275

What do you need an official answer on ? I think its pretty strait forward as to intent with adding these AP.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

They always say, anything done on beta wont transfer, so I will assume, same goes for achivments

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Seems like a good way to encourage beta participation if they transfer to the main account. If they don’t transfer then what’s the point?

JediYoda.1275

They always say, anything done on beta wont transfer, so I will assume, same goes for achivments

They are giving players an incentive to play the beta where like you pointed out players had none before so now they do with the Carrot on the stick approach!

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

beta is played for the fun and the testing, seem good to me

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Don’t like it one bit. It’s just another way to get pre-orders imo. If betas were open, then I would have no issue.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Don’t like it one bit. It’s just another way to get pre-orders imo. If betas were open, then I would have no issue.

Will you complain when HoT adds 30,000 AP’s for HoT related content that you can’t get access to those AP’s without buying the expansion?

If yes: lol

If no: this is just early HoT AP’s

Essence Snow.3194

Will you complain when HoT adds 30,000 AP’s for HoT related content that you can’t get access to those AP’s without buying the expansion?

If yes: lol

If no: this is just early HoT AP’s

Pretty sure I said pre-orders. I am against the practice of pre-ordering that has gain popularity in the past several years. It’s not good for customers.

Essence Snow.3194

Pre-orders are about WHEN sales revenues are received. It is a practice that allows sales to be independent of review. If you want to support that practice…you are entitled to do so.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

This please ^

Just a flesh wound.3589

Pre-orders are about WHEN sales revenues are received. It is a practice that allows sales to be independent of review. If you want to support that practice…you are entitled to do so.

(For this post I’m going to use preordering to mean both preordering and prepurchasing for brevity’s sake).

I agree that in general that pre-orders are bad for consumers and people who don’t like it have valid reasons for this. However, in general is not the same as in specific. Preordering from a company you know little about is indeed foolish and should not be encouraged. However preordering from a company you’ve interacted with for years and have a good opinion of how well they do their work and the likelihood of them putting out a reasonably quality product is another thing.

So far, while I have some things I’ve been unhappy about, I think there is every reasonable expectation that the expansion will be worth the money I spent on it in terms of hours played, character progression and new areas released (even if those areas aren’t immediately available at the start of the expansion). Those who feel like this can preorder without encouraging the known ills of preordering in general.

Of course, those who do not feel that their money is going to be well spent have every right to not prebuy from a company they have known, possibly for years, for a game they have played, possibly for several thousand hours.

(I also wish to apologize for my previous post to you. It was snarkier than it need to be as people who don’t wish to preorder do have valid problems with it).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jingsilverstone.8407

Jingsilverstone.8407

I agree, I need to know if this will effect my main account. I did’int want to spoil things, but If i have to if i must.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

When you play the beta it makes a copy of your account, or rather a beta instance of your account that all your beta characters share. Like when I played on Rev that first weekend I had all the gold from my normal account and if I spent it while using my beta character it was still there unspent when I changed to my normal characters, and vice versa. The same went for other things like weapon skin unlocks. Whatever you earn or use or do on your beta characters shouldn’t have any permanent effect on your non-beta account.

Posted by: dougal iv chaos.2857

dougal iv chaos.2857

This please ^

still waiting

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

This please ^

still waiting

there has been an official answer for ages:
“Progress and rewards earned by beta characters or in beta maps will not be saved.”

So no, the achievements earned will not carry over!
nothing you earn or do on beta-characters will.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

These achievements don’t seem too time-consuming when I read through them. I’ll probably try to get some of them later while playing my Dragonhunter and see if they will transfer over to my main achievements when BWE2 is over. Probably not but I was planning to try out some of the new zone anyway.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Did some on a beta toon.
Swapped to non beta toon, no unlocked achievement.
There you go.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

This please ^

Yes can we have a clear official answer on this subject, please ?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

These achievements don’t seem too time-consuming when I read through them. I’ll probably try to get some of them later while playing my Dragonhunter and see if they will transfer over to my main achievements when BWE2 is over. Probably not but I was planning to try out some of the new zone anyway.

Your assumption is correct as they are not time consuming or grindy as some people claim. The two achievements with the list of things to do are for the two meta event chains that occur on that map. It will take two day cycles to complete both as you can’t do both at the same time for the most part.

Two of the achievements each want you to complete one event in each of the meta event chains. The other is to kill 100 frogs which you should easily have done, or be close to being completed, by the time you finish both meta event chains.

Posted by: ZanchinFissure.7981

ZanchinFissure.7981

The OFFICIAL answer to the question if you keep the AP is no. I asked ANET ingame and they said no. Ryebread, an active developper told me so.

I argue that they should switch it to 0ap instead to stop it from being misleading.

Ayrilana.1396

The OFFICIAL answer to the question if you keep the AP is no. I asked ANET ingame and they said no. Ryebread, an active developper told me so.

I argue that they should switch it to 0ap instead to stop it from being misleading.

It’s not misleading as it has been clearly stated by them in and out of game.

Essence Snow.3194

That’s precisely what “misleading” means in this context. Under the achievement tab it says a certain number of AP (which has most always been permanent), when in actuality we had to find out that it was not via other sources. Idk how you can even justify trying to spin that as not, but I guess there’s all types of ppl out there.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

This is just stupid.
I mean, BETA Achievements??
We’re playing because of enjoying the game not hunting these kitten stupid achievements.
And Yep I know some mad AE nerd hunter will reply me now with his/her rage of wall,
BRING IT ON!!!1!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

This is just stupid.
We’re playing because of enjoying the game not hunting these kitten stupid achievements.
And Yep I know some mad AE nerd hunter will reply me now with his/her rage of wall,
BRING IT ON!!!1!

Maybe its to test some new achievements or ways you get credited for achievements. Ever think of that? If you’ve played this game you’d know that even achievements can be bugged. Its part of the game so why not include it in a test.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

This is just stupid.
BRING IT ON!!!1!

Sometimes achievement hunting can be fun as well. I mean, if it’s in the game you can assume it’s got to be fun in some way to somebody or provide a sense of achievement; which is a positive thing. There is no one way to have fun playing the game.

I think the issue here is these beta achievements are visible to non-beta characters, so people wonder if they will transfer over. I think that’s a mistake on Anet’s part if they wanted these achievements to only be for beta characters. They should have only been visible to beta characters so there would be no confusion.

Ayrilana.1396

That’s precisely what “misleading” means in this context. Under the achievement tab it says a certain number of AP (which has most always been permanent), when in actuality we had to find out that it was not via other sources. Idk how you can even justify trying to spin that as not, but I guess there’s all types of ppl out there.

All progression on beta characters is not saved on your main account. Ever complete any achievements, such as the daily, and seen that it didn’t transfer over? Why did you think that these would be any different. Anet has stated many times that anything done on your beta characters will not make its way to your main. They even have it plastered at the top of the screen when you play any beta character.

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

All progression on beta characters is not saved on your main account. Ever complete any achievements, such as the daily, and seen that it didn’t transfer over? Why did you think that these would be any different. Anet has stated many times that anything done on your beta characters will not make its way to your main. They even have it plastered at the top of the screen when you play any beta character.

“Beta achievements” are under the general achievements on your main account. It could totally be like any other achievements : achievements done by playing the beta, to reward players who pre-ordered the extension.

Beta account is clearly a fork of the main account : they just had to show the beta achievements only on the forked account, when you’re playing on one of your beta character.

Putting those achievements right inside the main account IS misleading.

An official answer is still needed (no, some words by a player stating that someone from anet gave him the info in game is not an official answer).

Essence Snow.3194

That’s all well and fine but it doesn’t stop the AP under general from being “misleading”. That is what you responded to, yet somehow that color green is not green to you but some yellowish blue. You know what else is yellowish blue? GREEN.

ZanchinFissure.7981

“Beta achievements” are under the general achievements on your main account. It could totally be like any other achievements : achievements done by playing the beta, to reward players who pre-ordered the extension.

Beta account is clearly a fork of the main account : they just had to show the beta achievements only on the forked account, when you’re playing on one of your beta character.

An official answer is still needed (no, some words by a player stating that someone from anet gave him the info in game is not an official answer).

This is how I feel exactly. The only reason I cared about beta is because I saw the beta weekend achievements in my achievement tab. I wasted all that time grinding for them think they would stay. I don’t care about testing anet’s game out for them for free. I’m not a guinea pig here, I want a reward for helping them test their game out.

I don’t care about testing specializations like it’s a taste sample at an ice cream store. I only went in for the ap and it was hella misleading putting it in my main. They should have marked it “0 ap” to avoid any confusion.

Maybe people like wasting their time testing games for free. Beta testing is a minimum wage job that I jsut did apparently for free…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Beta is an entirely separate account. It’s just like a test server. Whatever happens there doesn’t affect your main account and whatever happens in your main account doesn’t affect the beta account, unless they take another snapshot of your bank/wardrobe.

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

I did one of the achievements on my beta character, didn’t transfer to my main account. Basically.. they are a waste of time.

ZanchinFissure.7981

Beta is an entirely separate account. It’s just like a test server. Whatever happens there doesn’t affect your main account and whatever happens in your main account doesn’t affect the beta account, unless they take another snapshot of your bank/wardrobe.

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

What’s difficult to grasp is that the achievements are there in your main account making people believe they would be carried over.

Why have them there at all, if not to falsely persuade those of us who just wanted the ap?

Ayrilana.1396

How do you progress them without being in the beta area doing those events? It’s not misleading. They’re there because there’s no separation in the client. They could make them invisible or they could not make them invisible. It doesn’t matter as they would still be there. Remember just before the last beta when all professions with specialization that we would be testing had the constant notifications at the top of the screen for traits? Same thing only this time around they didn’t go through and hide the achievements.

You can keep requesting, but any official answer you do happen to get, will just be what’s been said all along and come the end of the beta, you won’t get any of that AP moved to your main account.

That’s all well and fine but it doesn’t stop the AP under general from being “misleading”. That is what you responded to, yet somehow that color green is not green to you but some yellowish blue. You know what else is yellowish blue? GREEN.

Just because it’s there doesn’t mean that it’s misleading.

Ayrilana.1396

I did one of the achievements on my beta character, didn’t transfer to my main account. Basically.. they are a waste of time.

You do them for the mastery points so you can test more masteries in the beta. Besides, you complete all of them by simply doing both meta event chains.

Essence Snow.3194

lol just because it’s green doesn’t mean it’s green…gotcha….lol

The fact that it mislead some into believing it was something it wasn’t means (by definition) it was misleading. Idk how else to explain what misleading means..maybe this:

mis·lead·ing
?mis?l?diNG/
adjective
adjective: misleading

giving the wrong idea or impression.
“your article contains a number of misleading statements”
synonyms: deceptive, confusing, deceiving, equivocal, ambiguous, fallacious, specious, spurious, false

Does that help?

Ayrilana.1396

The fact that it mislead some into believing it was something it wasn’t means (by definition) it was misleading. Idk how else to explain what misleading means..maybe this:

mis·lead·ing
?mis?l?diNG/
adjective

synonyms: deceptive, confusing, deceiving, equivocal, ambiguous, fallacious, specious, spurious, false

Does that help?

It’s only misleading because people choose to ignore the facts. Your green is green example is not the same.

Essence Snow.3194

mis·lead·ing
?mis?l?diNG/
adjective

Does that help?

It’s only misleading because people choose to ignore the facts. Your green is green example is not the same.

And those facts would be? Keep in mind that they would have to be in the same context as the AP in the general tab.

Kinda reminds me of magicians. We all know that some of the tricks they perform are not real magic, but that doesn’t stop them from misleading us.

(edited by Essence Snow.3194)

ZanchinFissure.7981

I don’t remember achievements ever being temporary. I haven’t been in the game long enough to know for sure, but all the ap I ever got was permanent. If I don’t get the ap from the beta weekend, then I want them to replace it to 0 ap for each one.

It’s ok though. In a week this will be another issue ignored and forgotten. Kind of like that preorder scandal.