New Expansion, Same Issue: Hairstyles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Noticed that Dulfy has the new PoF styles ( http://dulfy.net/2017/08/01/gw2-new-hairstyles-and-faces-in-total-makeover-kit/ ) posted on their site and they are…underwhelmingly sexist. By that I mean that many are locked to either female or male, but not both/either.

The ones bothering me are #12 and #14 of the female hairstyles should be unisex across everyone. I especially love the goth possibilities with #14 considering it’s additional color streak through it.

But these styles are also most likely HUMAN locked too because “they’re from the human Elonan NPCs”…but should they be so locked? Hairstyles are universal and I’d love to see these on Norn, Charr (who doesn’t want to braid a kitty’s hair?), and Asura. Sylvari are left out because their hair is a salad. Though my point remains that these hair styles should be spread around, especially considering that ALL of Tyria is one intermingled family trying to stop Elder Dragons and rogue gods. And from a business perspective, players would be more enticed to purchase the kits if these options carried to other races.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Its unfortunately but games will never stop having sex-oriented locks on customisation. Yes, it makes absolutely no sense that two people with the exact same head shape can’t have the exact same hairstyle because their sex differs, but we have to keep those gender roles separate right?

Let’s just ignore the fact that most of the male spellcasters in this game wear dresses, or that most Human males in this game look feminine anyway, ArenaNet was very much a fan of pretty boys in their design it seems.

If you think this is frustrating imagine not being able to wear nice-looking feminine armors on Asura because it doesn’t fit with the lore, having to struggle with outfits, then have them turn around and make Super Saiyan Charr. :c

Double standards are the best standards!

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Sadismo.7508

Sadismo.7508

Bald headed is unisex, go with it. It even fits elonian lore.

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

I would love to see princess-length hair for Sylvari like the Norn have – where it touches their kitten s.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I don’t get why this is a thing. Typically men and women have little cross over with hair styles across time and differing cultures. And somehow this is sexist? Also, almost all the hairstyles already in-game have little to no crossover, so why is this a problem now?

Hate is Fuel.

Hannelore.8153

I don’t get why this is a thing. Typically men and women have little cross over with hair styles across time and differing cultures. And somehow this is sexist? Also, almost all the hairstyles already in-game have little to no crossover, so why is this a problem now?

Can you grow your hair out in real life and chose any hairstyle you want? Unless you’re military or in certain lines of work, the answer is most likely, “yes”.

Yes, games often have less freedom than in real life, and that’s rediculous. It goes against the entire reason of playing a fantasy game to begin with. Arbitrary restrictions just for the sake of being arbitrary are not good.

As for why this is specifically a problem, alot of people play this game who are metal fans, etc. and creating those kinds of looks is currently impossible.

I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I don’t get why this is “sexist” so I think that word should not be used here. I do think there should be more crossover hairstyles though. Having more choices for customization is a good thing and I can’t fathom why anyone in their right mind would argue against more choices.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Bald headed is unisex, go with it. It even fits elonian lore.

I DO want to make a bald girl, but I still can’t.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Cool thing is, they aren’t restricted to Kits. One can use them from Character Creation.

Maybe that’s one reason why they aren’t more universal. Or…it’s supposed to be Elonan culture-centric. /shrug

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like the female 1 human hair but males can’t use it.
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/gw2-pof-hairstyles_thumb.jpg

I sometimes do mine similar IRL just shorter. I want a vine version for Sylvari too. :>

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

I’m all for gender equality, but I don’t find this a strong example of sexism. Just give it some time; many of the one-gender hairstyles migrate to both after a while.

For now, give them credit for making the current new hairstyles standard and not kit-only.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

i really don’t see why they can’t be shared. let guys wear long hair and braids, let girls have short hair, it’s godkitten 2017 and these limits are kinda dumb IMO.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

i really don’t see why they can’t be shared. let guys wear long hair and braids, let girls have short hair, it’s godkitten 2017 and these limits are kinda dumb IMO.

ITS THE CURRENT YEAR GUYS! GET YOUR KITTEN TOGETHER!!

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: SlateSloan.3654

SlateSloan.3654

Noticed that Dulfy has the new PoF styles ( http://dulfy.net/2017/08/01/gw2-new-hairstyles-and-faces-in-total-makeover-kit/ ) posted on their site and they are…underwhelmingly sexist. By that I mean that many are locked to either female or male, but not both/either.

The ones bothering me are #12 and #14 of the female hairstyles should be unisex across everyone. I especially love the goth possibilities with #14 considering it’s additional color streak through it.

But these styles are also most likely HUMAN locked too because “they’re from the human Elonan NPCs”…but should they be so locked? Hairstyles are universal and I’d love to see these on Norn, Charr (who doesn’t want to braid a kitty’s hair?), and Asura. Sylvari are left out because their hair is a salad. Though my point remains that these hair styles should be spread around, especially considering that ALL of Tyria is one intermingled family trying to stop Elder Dragons and rogue gods. And from a business perspective, players would be more enticed to purchase the kits if these options carried to other races.

even if i shake your little internet-pseudo-all-are-the-same-world now:

male and females are indeed different to each others

oh my god you just have been woken up into reality.

let me entertain you

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Its unfortunately but games will never stop having sex-oriented locks on customisation. Yes, it makes absolutely no sense that two people with the exact same head shape can’t have the exact same hairstyle because their sex differs, but we have to keep those gender roles separate right?

No, it’s because they have to tweak them to fit the different head models and while swapping them from the male to the female is not impossible, it’s not effortless either, or they would do it all the time. It’s not some deliberate insult to people who want those styles on their character.

That’s silly.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: eBeco.7612

eBeco.7612

While we’re at it, let other races have fur, like charr!

Posted by: Wishmaster.7693

Wishmaster.7693

I’m fairly sure that sexism has nothing to do with this, simply put female and male models are not one and the same so it’s possible they would have to tweak the hair to work on both and that’s not feasible.

(edited by Wishmaster.7693)

Hannelore.8153

Advice to replies, learn what sarcasm and irony are. Try not to take everything too serious just because you disagree with it.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

And it’s also important to learn Poe’s Law, “Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won’t mistake for the real thing.”

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”