New: Fast paced class?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jassking.7934

jassking.7934

So i’m coming from Tera, Aion, and I’m playing LoL right now. Anyway I’ve had gw2 for a while but never got to playing it and I’ve decided to start. Anyone have suggestions for a fast paced pvp/tank dps class pve? Right now I’m interested in Ranger, Warrior, Gaurdian, and Thief, but I haven’t really looked into the other classes much.

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

“Fast paced” and “tank” generally do not belong in the same sentence.
Unless you class an s/d acrobatics thief as a tank.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

Posted by: TheDuck.4526

TheDuck.4526

To get a start— what sort of classes did you play in Tera / Aion? Given the combo of traits you’ve stated, I’m assuming you played a Lancer or Warrior in Tera, and a Gladiator in Aion.

If you’re looking for a sort of class that acts as a fast-paced, tanky disruption in PvP, I would recommend a hammer warrior. However, all classes have access to a wide variety of gameplay depending on their setups.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

GW2 is zerker pve meta, anything besides that is a burden(for some dungeon runners) or not that effective, game is base on dodge(learn mob animation like all games) and use some active skills to avoid getting damaged like guardian blinds or block besides that is a melt berserker game.
Probably on high fractals more sturdy guardian is a go.

U can still build sturdy guardian but will be almost 1 shooted if u dont evade some boss skills and you will loose all “decent” damage capacity.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

The fastest paced class is elementalist. Engineers maybe also?

Combat doesn’t here doesn’t work like other MMOs. There aren’t really any tanks. The closest to what you’re asking for is probably a bunker elementalist.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Water_field

Classes like elementalist and engenier have their water flield and blast.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

Here’s some matching in terms of play style similarities aligning with AION:
Thief – Assassin:

• In both games, they’re the main stealth class.
  • Have the fastest auto attack chain with daggers(?).
  • Fast paced in gameplay, often moving around blinking in for kill and moving out.

Necromancer – Spiritmaster:

• One word to describe them both, “fear”.
  • Necro can be built to be condition heavy, similar to SM’s main source of damage were DoTs.
  • Both can have some form of summons/minions.
  • Both games give the class a weak form of life leeching skills…

Ranger – Ranger

• Self explanatory. Pew pew.

Guardian – Templar:

• Can be spec to deal burst damage with semi lengthy cooldown for its full combo.
  • Can be spec to provide party support and essentially a “tanker/bunker”.
  • (Some seem to misunderstand when people mention the word ‘tanker’ as gw2 emphasis more on holding positions than absorbing damage).

Warrior – Gladiator:

• Between both games, they’re actually not similar for gameplay.
  • Glads would be AoE burst heavy but Warrior is mainly single target spikes or conditions.
  • Though they share a common ground where it is easy to learn as a starting out class.

The remaining other 3 generally doesn’t match AION. Though I don’t play LoL, I can match them to similar heros in DOTA.
Elementalist -> Invoker. A lot of keybind pushing to utilize a range of different spells.
Mesmer -> An illusion based carry. Summons clones to confuse enemy and burst damage.
Engineer -> Techies/Clockwerk/Tinker all in one.

(edited by Akikaze.1307)