New Infinite Tools, why not separately?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

I really love the new mining pick but i don’t want to spend 2700 gems just for this, can we get an option to buy them separately??

pretty pls Anet…?!

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Oh kitten. Did the watchwork pick debacle teach them nothing?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, it’s not worth $30+ to get two tools, one of which probably isn’t that great (harvesting). I’d get the logging axe right away though.

Sadly, these could have also been in-game. 500k Karma for each (but that’d really cut into game profits).

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m honestly not familiar with this, what is/was the issue?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t see there being an issue here. We have items that do what these do in game – they cost karma.

The only difference between these and those is that these are unlimited, which is a convenience. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is no different than the original, basic unlimited tools in comparison to orichalcum gathering tools. You can get the same thing in game for gold or karma, but you need gems if you desire the convenience.

And that’s fine.

Now, do I wish we could buy and stack “like” gathering tools up to ‘x’ number of charges? Yes, that would be nice. Highly unlikely, but it’d still be nice.

The primary issue with the watchwork pick was there wasn’t anything else comparable, in game or otherwise.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It is the only tool that gives an extra resource when used, in this case, sprockets. Those can be sold to other players. Many were the P2W shouts that went with the debut of that pick.

Here the extra resource is a currency, but one that can be turned into coin.

That said, I do like the tools but watching the Dulfy video it looks like you get the foraged resource at the end of the animation which means I’ll still prefer the golf-swing ones (Consortium and fire) for the smoothest gathering of clumps of plants. I’ll have to decide if the bundle is worth the cash given that I don’t like the sickle and don’t need the loose magic gather skill.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Running numbers to decide if it is worth it. The UB I need to give ascended trinkets to all my characters minus my current stash of tools has me shy around 140-150 thousand UM. Given I have things to spend karma on an alternative to carrying around a bag of tools on everyone is a handy idea. Those animations though …. drool.

I just wish they had done a way to upgrading existing tools as I bought the vanilla ones when LS3 started and they have gotten nearly no use. With these they probably never will either.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It is the only tool that gives an extra resource when used, in this case, sprockets. Those can be sold to other players. Many were the P2W shouts that went with the debut of that pick.

That said, I do like the tools but watching the Dulfy video it looks like you get the foraged resource at the end of the animation which means I’ll still prefer the golf-swing ones (Consortium and fire) for the smoothest gathering of clumps of plants. I’ll have to decide if the bundle is worth the cash given that I don’t like the sickle and don’t need the loose magic gather skill.

The bundle is 300 gems cheaper than the separate ones although if you don’t want the other two it’s not actually saving you anything.

Astralporing.1957

Long ago, when Anet released first infinite gathering tools, they were asked if those tools will always remain the best option, or is anet going to release better ones later on. People asked, because that actually had a real impact on the price they were prepared to offer for those tools. We were told, that nothing like that was going to happen, and that anyone investing in them can feel safe.

When Anet released watchwork mining pick, they broke that promise (as the pick was objectively superior to prior infinite picks). They were called up on that, and since that time nothing like that happened again.

True, they released some tools with added chance of gathering some resources (wintersday, and unbound magic ones), but at least they were not infinite, so you could say it’s a trade-off.

With an infinite version of those, from gemshop, no less, it’s again an attempt to introduce gear progression of a sort. Now, you can no longer be sure that any QoL item you buy from gemshop will not be at some point replaced with something that made your previous purchase obsolete.

(basically, anyone that bought a normal infinite tool from gemshop can now rightly feel kittened by Anet)

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Watchwork tools drop watchwork sprockets as a bonus item; there’s no other reliable way to farm the sprockets. This was an issue when the tools came out and sprockets were worth 4-6 silver and many metals were vendor price — that meant people could farm silver ore and still make more than someone using other infinite- or limited-use tools on certain ore.

However, this situation is different: unbound tools already exist in the game and are available to anyone with access to the newer maps. Thus the gem store is just selling convenience; there’ no extra functionality this time.

In other words, yes, ANet learned something from the debacle and didn’t make the same mistake.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

They should have created a basic “Unlimited Tool” for each type that had a medium cost attached to it.

Then they should have sold the skins (and the affiliated animations) separately allowing your basic “Unlimited Tool” to become any of the new tools as you desire (just like buying an outfit).

Finally, they should have added an “enrichment slot” to gathering tools that gives you a % chance to obtain a specific bonus item (sprockets, Azurite, UM, snowflakes, etc.) when it is equipped in a gathering tool. Unlimited versions of these enrichments could then ALSO be sold on the gem store.

This system would have not only permitted players to have significant control over their customization and convenience, but would have resulting in MORE gemstore revenue for ArenaNet.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There wasn’t really an issue, but a small set of ppl complained because at the time Watchwork pick was the only one giving something additional and thus made it best in slot and some even claimed it was pay to win.

Can’t say I agree with these being a bundle. It’s great they are a deal, but I;m not shelling out £30 when I prob only want one or two

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Long ago, when Anet released first infinite gathering tools, they were asked if those tools will always remain the best option, or is anet going to release better ones later on. People asked, because that actually had a real impact on the price they were prepared to offer for those tools. We were told, that nothing like that was going to happen, and that anyone investing in them can feel safe.

When Anet released watchwork mining pick, they broke that promise (as the pick was objectively superior to prior infinite picks). They were called up on that, and since that time nothing like that happened again.

True, they released some tools with added chance of gathering some resources (wintersday, and unbound magic ones), but at least they were not infinite, so you could say it’s a trade-off.

With an infinite version of those, from gemshop, no less, it’s again an attempt to introduce gear progression of a sort. Now, you can no longer be sure that any QoL item you buy from gemshop will not be at some point replaced with something that made your previous purchase obsolete.

(basically, anyone that bought a normal infinite tool from gemshop can now rightly feel kittened by Anet)

…and everyone else…

Okay, I kinda remember some of that now, thanks.

My main has a set of the old (original?) non-set, individual ones back when they cost 800/ea. I got these new ones since the unbound magic is something I’m really interested in at the moment. I had been buying the karma and farming the Winterberry Bushes in the north once a day, but I think these will be nice to have.

I suppose what would be nice is if there were a way to ‘merge’ infinite tools together so you get the benefit of all the tools you bought at the same time, and then maybe pick your favorite animation skin for each tool.

Posted by: mcube.4289

mcube.4289

this is kittened anet,
i bought my 3 harvesting tools one by one so 1000 gems each
i have a Mine-r-Tron
a Chop-It_All_Logging Axe
and a Consortium Harvesting sickle
i paid 3000 gems in total. i get you put them in a bundle and we get discount cuzz we spend more at once but the fact that they give players EXTRA BONUSES (the unbound magic) is just kittened. why do i pay 3000 gems and get unlimited uses, while someone who happened to buy this set of unlimited gathering tools get extra free magic ? just explain that please.

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

This makes me very unhappy. There should be an option to upgrade existing harvesting tools to get the unbound magic instead of me having to replace the set I bought just last week.

Edit: I am unhappy no longer. Anet has the best customer service ever!

(edited by Anela.3867)

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

If you just bought them, contact support to see if you can get a refund.

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

I bought the watchwork mining pick in 2015 for 500 gems during the anniversary sales. I’ll just wait to see if other endless tools will ever have a good discount. Buying a 3-infinite set now is just a waste of my gems.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

this is kittened anet,
i have a Mine-r-Tron
i paid 3000 gems in total. i get you put them in a bundle and we get discount cuzz we spend more at once but the fact that they give players EXTRA BONUSES (the unbound magic) is just kittened. why do i pay 3000 gems and get unlimited uses, while someone who happened to buy this set of unlimited gathering tools get extra free magic ? just explain that please.

Well, you could ask the CS Team to roll your account back to the time right before you first purchased an Unlimited Tool (and lose all the convenience you’ve had since then), and refund your Gems spent, and then purchase the new Tools. Also, ask them to prevent you from purchasing any items that may, some day in the future, be improved, until said improvement materializes.

Good luck.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

this is kittened anet,
i have a Mine-r-Tron

So did I. And they have served me faithfully over these past few years. No regrets.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Astralporing.1957

If you just bought them, contact support to see if you can get a refund.

And if someone bought them two weeks ago? a month?
Let’s face it, as far as pure utility go, buying any infinite gathering tool except unbound magic ones and watchwork pick is a waste, as they are objectively inferior to those. And (to repeat what was said before, during the watchwork pick debacle), that actually makes the value of any gemshop QoL purchase go down. Because now you can never be sure than next week Anet won’t release something that will be just plain better.

In many ways it’s exactly the same as if anet decided now to introduce a new gear tier, better than ascended and legendaries. Just applied to QoL purchases.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

this is kittened anet,
i have a Mine-r-Tron

Why’d you buy a mine-r-tron mining pick instead of the watchwork mining pick?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s not the same since you can buy expendable ones for karma. These is just the unlimited versions.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ototo.3214

Ototo.3214

I’m more upset that I’d have to use tools with animations I don’t much care for just to get the bonus. It makes all the tools I already bought inferior despite me still much preferring them. I bought them for a reason. Would have much preferred the unbound magic bonus being an infusion I could apply to old tools to give them that effect, or at least for that to be an option released alongside this bundle.

Astralporing.1957

It’s not the same since you can buy expendable ones for karma. These is just the unlimited versions.

No, it’s exactly the same. It’s about breaking a certain principle, which is really dangerous. Before they broke it, i could be sure than what i buy from gemshop won’t become obsolete at some point in the future. Now i know that’s untrue, and Anet, in their rush for more shortterm income gains, will kitten me over (again) at some point. There will be a “new tier”. And that one won’t be safe from the same happening again either.

Actions, not words.

Ayrilana.1396

No, it’s exactly the same. It’s about breaking a certain principle, which is really dangerous. Before they broke it, i could be sure than what i buy from gemshop won’t become obsolete at some point in the future. Now i know that’s untrue, and Anet, in their rush for more shortterm income gains, will kitten me over (again) at some point. There will be a “new tier”. And that one won’t be safe from the same happening again either.

We can buy mining picks that give sprockets? Where?

This argument parallels the argument of something being P2W despite someone being able to convert gold to gems.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Perrsun.4285

Perrsun.4285

They should have created a basic “Unlimited Tool” for each type that had a medium cost attached to it.

Then they should have sold the skins (and the affiliated animations) separately allowing your basic “Unlimited Tool” to become any of the new tools as you desire (just like buying an outfit).

Finally, they should have added an “enrichment slot” to gathering tools that gives you a % chance to obtain a specific bonus item (sprockets, Azurite, UM, snowflakes, etc.) when it is equipped in a gathering tool. Unlimited versions of these enrichments could then ALSO be sold on the gem store.

This system would have not only permitted players to have significant control over their customization and convenience, but would have resulting in MORE gemstore revenue for ArenaNet.

I absolutely agree with this.

Even if they don’t roll it back to basic/cosmetic/enrichment… if they added an enrichment slot to the current tools, and then allowed purchase of enrichments, that would be good.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think it’s more akin to the Basic Salvage Kit and Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, than OMG, this item has made my purchases obsolete. It’s not like one could not have already used the exact same item, but in a limited capacity, before.

Sometimes, items are improved in the game. Sometimes, it’s even due to player feedback/requests. It would be difficult for the Developers to have the prescience for every change that might happen years down the road.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

And what happens in the next expansion when a new map currency and associated tools are introduced? I agree with Astralporing, this is a slippery slope.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They have a generic unlimited set for 2400 gems.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

sure, these are more profitable
but don’t forget, you had the molten tools since LS1, that’s what? 3 years?
you had your money’s worth out of it.
I agree, there’s no reason for the new tools to be so much better without upgrading older tools, but don’t say you were cheated out of money, because for the 300 extra gems, you had them 3 years earlier

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The bundle is 300 gems cheaper than the separate ones although if you don’t want the other two it’s not actually saving you anything.

Ok — does that mean we can buy them (the new unbound magic ones) separately? The OP suggested otherwise and I’ve had a sick headache all day that has kept me from going in game so I relied on that in what I posted.

Ayrilana.1396

Ok — does that mean we can buy them (the new unbound magic ones) separately? The OP suggested otherwise and I’ve had a sick headache all day that has kept me from going in game so I relied on that in what I posted.

Bundle only because $$$$$

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

In context of egalitarian design and player agency, this approach to harvesting tools is superior to what we have now. However, I am not certain that egalitarian design and increased player agency means more revenue.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I agree with Astralporing, item progression in the gem shop is a slippery slope. It is the studio monetizing their role as the sole source of innovation and their superior position in a pronounced disparity in information.

The new UM buffed tools aren’t the exact equivalent to the Sprocket buffed tools because there are UM buffed tools available in game; players who use the gem shop do not have an advantage over players who do not.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Fully agreed.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Fully agreed.

Thirded.

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

Fully agreed.

Thirded.

Mostly agree. I’m all for unlimited gathering tools which give extra resources. That said, selling gem priced enrichments (on their own) which gave you extra resources would be a bit iffy – even though its extremely close to what we have currently.

I agree however that all infinite harvesting tools should be normal skinned with the ability to equip any skin you’d previously bought – and then make each infinite harvesting tool purchase a once off option which came with a normal tool, a skin unlock and on appropriate occasion, a gem enrichment.

Posted by: Ototo.3214

Ototo.3214

Fully agreed.

Thirded.

Yes please.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

And what happens in the next expansion when a new map currency and associated tools are introduced? I agree with Astralporing, this is a slippery slope.

Yea this is my fear aswell.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I’m not entirely sure I will be using the plant gathering tool, since it is sooooo much slower than my consortium sickle. Pick I will be swapping off between watchwork and unbound magic.

Presumably, said map currency will have its own gathering tools available for coin, karma, or a different currency as well. The gem store gathering tools will just be convenience as you can get the same effect without spending a gem.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Fully agreed.

Thirded.

Yes please.

Yes, it was suggested before…

we could even have some enrichments that would give:
– Gathering speed
– Extra resource from the one being mined
– Map reward bonus when harvesting

etc…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not sure this is the same. For one thing unbound magic is easy to get via the berry farm or just playing in the new zones. It’s not like watchwork sprockets which had very very limited methods of acquisition.

And you get get gathering tools in game with karma that allow you to gather unbound magic as well.

Not the same situation and I’m not seeing the same outcry.

The only complaint I’m seeing here is that it invalidates other gathering tools you’ve spend good gems on.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Unless you are new or have not already bought a set there is no need to rush out and get these. Just play normal with what you have and you will be fine.

Anet will not learn if everyone panics and drops a ton of gems on these.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Oh please the drama is overblown. It’s just unbound magic which already exists tools for, is all over the place in various maps and needs to be converted.

It is nothing on the league of the watchwork one, because not only were sprockets pretty valuable at the time, it was very hard to acquire normally. That become muted with it becoming a map reward and now they’re not really that valuable.

I’ll buy these in the future when they inevitably go on sale, maybe. I still think every tool should each provide something.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

The Unbound magic ones don’t make a liquid gold profit…..

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There’s only one reliable source of watchwork sprockets: the pick. There are tons of ways to farm unbound magic.

There’s no in-game pick that drops watchwork sprockets; only the gem shop one. There are six NPCs that sell unbound magic tools.

There is one other set of tools that drops a currency: the frostbitten set. No one much cares, because snowflakes (special or otherwise) are worth next to nothing (huge supply, hardly any demand).

So, no, this isn’t the same as what happened with the Watchwork Mining Tool. There are notable similarities, but the differences are more important.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

It is nothing on the league of the watchwork one, because not only were sprockets pretty valuable at the time, it was very hard to acquire normally. That become muted with it becoming a map reward and now they’re not really that valuable.

Actually almost half of the ~650k supply of watchwork sprockets in the TP has disappeared in the past week, and the value of them has about doubled in the past two weeks – from 1s to 2s. I assume that it’s related to recent changes and the “new condi meta”, and sigil of bursting. Hardly leather-level valuable, but a significant change nonetheless – especially because the gathering options amount to watchwork picks and home nodes, so the supply is hardly flush.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: Jhenn.5197

Jhenn.5197

I see nothing wrong with the new unlimited gathering tools. They are as mentioned numerous times, available for karma if you don’t want to spend the gems.

And I as well have several sets of the different types of unlimited gathering tools and still do not mind.

I just put the extra sets on alts so I don’t have to worry about switching the tools before switching tools.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

I dunno . Unbound magic is really easy to come by just playing new map. Unlike watchwork one that pretty much have to gathering it yourself with that tool and some recipe still use a stack of watchwork to craft.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think this thread may have veered a bit off-topic.

The Devs may, or may not, offer the Unbound Magic Tools separately in the future. Perhaps, if there is enough desire for such an offering from the playerbase, the offering will be more likely, than not.

Either way, I would not expect a separate offering any time in the near future.

Good luck.