New Items: Colored Refractors. Thoughts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cDKI.8352

cDKI.8352

Hello, I hope everyone is enjoying the Halloween Update!

One addition that has seemed to have been overlooked with the new update was that three upgrade components were added to the game: Poly-luminescent Undulating Refractors that come in green, orange, and black. They come from salvaging Oontz’s necklace of the ghoul, which you get from ToT bags (VERY RARELY)

If you add these upgrade components (which are celestial btw) to an Accessory (I’ve tested this with Backpieces, amulets, rings, and earrings) and equip the item, your character changes colors! I have obtained two of the upgrades (No one has green) In a picture shown below.

Do you think that Anet should add more of these options for future patches?

Attachments:

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

So it TOTALLY replaces your color? or is it like a subtle “shading”? Kinda disappointing if it TOTALLY overwrites whatever you’ve got setup colorwise; was hoping for some kind of glow/smoke effect.

Interesting to see them take this approach, perhaps we’ll finally get Infinite Light gold dust effect?

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Very convincing screenshots, bruv.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Someone else already posted the black effect, the refractors are real. I will have to hope I get enough drops to make myself some of these.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I love ’em. Hope that Anet get even more creative and add ones that make you turn metallic or golden.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Haruka.9624

Haruka.9624

I like this new upgrade. I have 3 colors now Black Omega is nice one.
However, this upgrade is exotic grade. I want to use these effect with ascended trinkets.

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So you have to choose between looks and stats?
Isn’t that why transmuting was put in? Why are we back to that now? -_-

I love ’em. Hope that Anet get even more creative and add ones that make you turn metallic or golden.

A great way to create some angry Juggernaut owners?

Posted by: GscGunner.2419

GscGunner.2419

I like this new upgrade. I have 3 colors now Black Omega is nice one.
However, this upgrade is exotic grade. I want to use these effect with ascended trinkets.

Could you please post more screenshots of characters in high-res? and in other colours if you can.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I so love this. Thank you for sharing, cDKI!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Too based on RNG for me to like it

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

Those goes more money grabbing scheme instead of fixing the game.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Too bad it isn’t more like a dye that you can change on the fly.

Still, very cool concept. Specially the shadowy one.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: PeculiarSoap.4710

PeculiarSoap.4710

I got the green one

Attachments:

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Let’s clarify this for Gaile; as there seems to be a special disconnect when it comes to understanding player desires. (see recent Gem Conversion thread).

It is not that you are adding new items to the game. That is great. Players like new items. It is that too often, as is this case, the items are locked behind an RNG wall with no way to obtain other than Insane Trading Post Pricing (if an item is even tradeable) or sacrificing your first born to the RNG Gods. These should have been added to the Candy Corn Cob Vendor. Even as much as I disagree with the price points on that guy, it at least makes it obtainable without relying on luck. Personally, I think all Holiday items would be a good addition to the laurel vendor as well, similar to the Season 1 Rewards.

In regards to fixing the game; there are a number of areas that despite multiple balance/feature patches in the last year, are still woefully ignored. It would be very nice to see effort being done to address those areas, instead of seeing items constantly being fixed or upgraded when it relates to spending real $$. The gemstore is rapidly appearing to be the only place that you can rely on to be working or have guaranteed new content. Like the quoted poster, many of us feel if you spend a little less time on the gemstore, and more effort squashing bugs/fixing content, you would have more players. And more players means more gemstore money.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Stupid item. Totally worthless for people who have ascended trinkets.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

So what happens if you have all three equipped?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

So this changes the colour of your armor? Someone having the Juggernout who got these items? Would be interesting to see how that aura and these colour changers work together

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I must say I LOVED this, it’s clearly a small well-thought step towards cosmetic progression that’s been asked for quite a while now.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

I must say I LOVED this, it’s clearly a small well-thought step towards cosmetic progression that’s been asked for quite a while now.

What part of progression is RNG? Does the RNG/Gold Paywall actually mean progression or skill of any type? Or just who is the luckiest/richest?

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Testing the ground for legendary trinkets?

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I expect to see in the GemStore but no! RNG again.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Harlequin.8593

Harlequin.8593

Let’s clarify this for Gaile; as there seems to be a special disconnect when it comes to understanding player desires. (see recent Gem Conversion thread).

It is not that you are adding new items to the game. That is great. Players like new items. It is that too often, as is this case, the items are locked behind an RNG wall with no way to obtain other than Insane Trading Post Pricing (if an item is even tradeable) or sacrificing your first born to the RNG Gods. These should have been added to the Candy Corn Cob Vendor. Even as much as I disagree with the price points on that guy, it at least makes it obtainable without relying on luck. Personally, I think all Holiday items would be a good addition to the laurel vendor as well, similar to the Season 1 Rewards.

You do realize of course that were they to be made available via the Candy Corn Cob Vendor the pricing would have to be balanced around the other methods of obtaining the skins right? Meaning at the end of the day they wouldn’t be any easier to get this way .. which is fine in my books, you need a few high end things floating around out there for those that are interested in that. (see GW1’s Obsidian armor) It’s their relative rarity that gives them value.

Adding holiday items to laurel vendors just isn’t feasible, why earn them any other then and you’ll have lost one of the key motivators of people actually going through the content. Season 1 rewards are available via laurels because those events aren’t going to be developed further so there’s no other way to earn those items.

Don’t misunderstand, I’m more than happy to call Anet out on a number of things, I’m not shy of joining the “angry mob” when I feel its justified but I also think we need to think about our arguments and structure them well in order to be taken seriously and to get what we want, within reason.

I have a bad feeling about this …

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

AWESOME effect

but TERRIBLE way to put it into the game :/

all veteran players are kittened because they use ascended trinkets
…cant it be something inside inventory? or additional slot?

also it is limited to celestial stats…
so only elementalists and maybe engineers are allowed to use it without having useless stats ?? (for pve its definitly useless stats)

so you have to decide between good look and useful+maxed out (ascended) stats?
really stupid from anet…. it could be SOOOO kitten awesomeplease change it pleaeeeease

and it just works like the hylek colors does it?

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: cDKI.8352

cDKI.8352

AWESOME effect

Yup, they function exactly like the hylek colors (the orange is the exact same, I still don’t have the green yet :/)

The items also give a buff tool-tip (black is Cat’s Shadow, orange is Gourd Vibrations)

Additionally, the colors overwrite the others so you cannot stack them. (Even hylek potions will overwrite them)

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

For once I’m really excited about something Anet has implemented. I, as well as other players it seems, have just a few small issues with them though:

rarity

They seem absurdly rare – I’ve heard cases of more than 40,000 Trick or Treat bags being opened without a single drop, and not everyone can afford 300g for one of these refractors, let alone 40k ToT bags. Perhaps another method in obtaining these would be nice?

stats and ascended

You can’t put these on your ascended gear which kinda defeats the whole purpose. Also they’re celestial stats and not everyone uses celestial.

Solution to both of these:

1) Introduce another method to obtaining these rather than playing the RNGsus game that no one likes, and 2) allow players to put them on ascended gear. Like maybe a recipe that allows you to change it into an infusion?

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Heck yes. Metallic one please.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Haruka.9624

Haruka.9624

Sorry, I could not get good screenshot. Hope Dulfy will update info lol

Btw… Random god dislike me, I hate random god also. We dislike each other. It’s reason that I bought all colors by trading post. I don’t blame that “super rare drop” from ToT bags if it can buy. Someone spent his luck, I just bought his luck :P
I bought black refractors by 500g yesterday. Now, black is 1400g. I don’t feel any regret.

I hope people stop complaining for random thing, And go farm bag or gold. Game need some luxury charming. However, If this is account bound, maybe I will not tried your adverse and opaque lottery. Cause I am hating random god.

Posted by: thepalemagpie.9625

thepalemagpie.9625

The only thing that bothers me about this is that it’s not ascended. Other than that, Guys? Please you can’t have everythig easy. Jeeze, I’m actually glad they put something in that’s sper rare than alot of people won’t have, know why? Because then it feels good when you get it.

Like legendaries used to feel. Back in the early days of GW2 you actually felt in awwe of seeig a legendary someone was using. Now they’re all over the place, not that it’s a bad thing, it’s just, eh. You know? They don’t feel special anymore when you go into Teq or pvp ad see everyone and their mum with one.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’ll second the notion that these are A. Very Cool, and B. WAY TOO RNG.

They definitely need to add more ways to get these items, by the next patch, ideally.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Valento.9852

Items in GW2 are either GemStore-related (free of RNG) or ridiculous RNG for doing silly things such as open a bag and good luck with lottery.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

so only elementalists and maybe engineers are allowed to use it without having useless stats ?? (for pve its definitly useless stats)

To be fair, we’re talking the upgrade slot on a trinket, not replacing a set of runes; I think that you’ll get by without the extra +8 power.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

AWESOME effect

but TERRIBLE way to put it into the game :/

all veteran players are kittened because they use ascended trinkets
…cant it be something inside inventory? or additional slot?

so you have to decide between good look and useful+maxed out (ascended) stats?
really stupid from anet…. it could be SOOOO kitten awesomeplease change it pleaeeeease

Sword/Sword || Axe/Sword + Longbow Celestial is a viable warrior build archetype

so is

Guardian Burn Celestial Meddies
Engineer Celestial Rifle Grenades
Elementalist Celestial D/D
Necromancer Celestial Staff
Mesmer Support Celestial Shatter

To name a few. Strictly speaking PvP and WvW Roaming, still viable in PvE, I’ve done FotM 50 with people in full celestial and the run is generally a breeze.

Obviously its irreverent to the corner stack zerker meta that people cling to but there is a reason why quite a few spvpers keep spamming “NERF CELESTIAL!!!” during the spvp twitch streams.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What part of progression is RNG?

Without RNG progression would be poessio. Ahem. Festivals should be fun happy festive things free from the standard same old same old RNG and grinding to get to the fun stuff.

/e steps off festive soapbox

Anyway, I don’t get the appeal of these refractors. My NPE ele, for example, wears shades of blue, violet, and white because those are the colors I chose for her. Why would I want to turn her green?

The table is a fable.

Valento.9852

I’d like my sylvari orange-ish!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’m wondering if this isn’t a test of something for 500 jewel craft.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I think it would be awesome if it actually turned you into a ghastly form of that color.

Of course the green would be confusing with the Necromancer’s Spectral Armor but would still be a neat effect regardless.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

The orange look is available very cheaply with Hylek potions.

But you know what, I think I prefer it this way, on an item,breather than on a potion I constantly have to refresh.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

And here, I just asked for a permanent Hylek Hue Dye last month! GJ Anet!

For those complaining about the stats, GG seriously??? You won’t notice a difference in game play at all. Also, I do believe there are several other account bound exotic accessories in game already if you bothered to look.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

I don’t understand the point of those items, they just dye your armor, hair and skin, without any special glow to it. Pretty much the same can be achieved with buying the special dyes and getting a hair color from the gem store kits. You get a much wider selection of colors and you don’t have to give up your ascended accessories. Yes, your skin remains undyed, but if I wanted a green, orange or abyss black character, I would make sylvari.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I hope red, blue, and green are coming for wintersday, and maybe we can get a potion with the Omnomberry Ghost Effect Next Halloween.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I hope red, blue, and green are coming for wintersday, and maybe we can get a potion with the Omnomberry Ghost Effect Next Halloween.

Hopefully they fix the problems with that effect before then …

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Cool as this is… Jeweller is just sitting there at 400. Is this like a test run for what they’re going to do at 500 or was RNG honestly considered the best way to implement this?

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Heck yes. Metallic one please.

Nope, to similar to the Juggernaut. I am all for adding new ones, but they shouldn’t touch on effects from existing legendary weapons.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I don’t get it, so it’s a dye ?

Are you Shpongled?

Palador.2170

I don’t get it, so it’s a dye ?

No. It’s an item that can go into an empty slot on an amulet (trinket/jewelry). It recolors you like what some potions or the box of fun can do. Unlike those, this doesn’t wear off as long as you’re wearing the item with the Refractor slotted in it.

Posted by: Robodo.2913

Robodo.2913

What I like about the orange one is that some colors like red and yellow start glowing. Here you see the difference.

Attachments:

Posted by: FearTheQuadLazers.8297

FearTheQuadLazers.8297

Do these work like regular upgrades?
Can I salvage it from the piece I upgrade?

Palador.2170

Do these work like regular upgrades?
Can I salvage it from the piece I upgrade?

They seem to work like regular upgrades, though the color effect only happens if it’s in an amulet.

They actually come in a necklace/amulet, they’re getting them out by salvaging them with a Black Lion kit (100% upgrade recovery).

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Its nice but way too rare. Currently the black one sells for 800g in the AH and even for that price there are less than 3 on stock. Its 1 of the nicer new items but most people are not able to enjoy it. So pls either increase the drop rate or give us tokens for halloween activities we can exchange for these things. My fingers are already hurting from opening those ToT bags.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

My favorite thing about them, they’re account bound I love it. don’t have one yet though. hoping to get ghoul.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

My favorite thing about them, they’re account bound I love it. don’t have one yet though. hoping to get ghoul.

The gems themselves are not account bound. The accessories that they are salvaged from are. Search the tp for “poly”.

Serenity now~Insanity later