New "Known Issue Tracker"!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Ladies and gents, in case those that are not on reddit for whatever (unimaginable) reason, they’ve announced their new “Known Issue Tracker”:

Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48v1x4/announcing_the_known_issue_tracker/

The tracker itself:
http://help.guildwars2.com/entries/98802888

Bug reporting guide lines:
http://help.guildwars2.com/entries/98788978

Most notably, it says “please submit an in-game bug report so we can get to work on fixing it!”. Now some of you might or might not have been doing so before… But with their announcement, why not put the system to the test.

Now, without defending the dev’s too much… I would like to say that you shouldn’t expect the bugs to be fixed the moment or the day after you submit them. Who knows what they have on their plate/table in terms of work. Reproduce-ability of the bug as well as trace-ability (on a debugging level) can also be a kitten that delays the fix. So please be patient. Their guide lines are worth reading on how to submit good bug reports.

Personally, as a dev (not a game one though), I love it when users find bugs and tell me about them. As much testing as is done, and as much as I (and I hope I speak for all devs in general) aim for perfection, it is impossible to achieve it – yet we stride for it. When a user finds a bug and submits it, it shows, at least to me, that they do use whatever I’ve made, and care enough for it to want to work perfectly (as do I). And when the bug is fixed, I know that I’ve made the user at least a bit happy. But, that’s just me.

So yeah. Go out there and report bugs.

Attachments:

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Really useful tool. Something a few of us have campaigned since launch for due to positive outcomes in other MMO’s.

Really happy to see this!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Caveat
This isn’t an API to all the bugs in the system. It’s manually compiled by one of the devs to help us see the variety of stuff they are tracking. It doesn’t include “minor issues” (and certainly not exploits). Basically, it includes all the stuff the one person has time to add and thinks is important enough that we want to see it.

So if you file a /bug report (in game or via a support ticket), it won’t automatically show up on the tracker.

Still, it is better if we file /bug reports as we see stuff because that gives the devs in-game date (including time, place, IP, etc) that they can use to troubleshoot the issue. Clearly, not enough of us do that when we encounter an issue.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

It’s better than nothing.

If it is true that this list is purely manual, it will then show exactly what they’re working on.

I’m hoping that it becomes more automated… Like they have their own issue tracking system in the back-end but some of the issue they mark as public for us to view or copy-paste into this “list”/separate “issue tracker”.

It’s just with the announcement of this tracker, it would be a good time, as a community to show once again that we care about the game – and that releasing such information, as issue tracking, was a good idea.

You know, positive reinforcement…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The GM also, at the same time he posted the reddit thread, put a thread announcing it on the Bug forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Announcing-the-Known-Issue-Tracker

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.