New Legendaries / Rework

New Legendaries / Rework

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Artemis.6283

Artemis.6283

Dear Anet,
u said a long long time ago that there will be new legendaries, and a rework to the existing ones. U Also said that there will be a scavanger hunt for the precursors.
Could u give us a litte update when we can expect these updates?
Or at least a clue if u are working currently on them?

I would also want to know, why you departed from the original concept art of meteologicus? It looked muuuuuch better than the one that made it to the game…

Attachments:

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

wow it actually looks good here

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

It looked muuuuuch better than the one that made it to the game…

It’s subjective, I think it looks a lot cooler ingame.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Senryi.4897

Senryi.4897

I would also like to know what kind of progress as been made toward the scavenger hunt. I have held off on making a legendary because of the precursor issue.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I just want footsteps on my meteorlogicus. :-/

This also seems like a great time to bring up that the precursor math is mind-bogglingly horrid. Some of the legendaries are barely more than twice the price of their respective precursors at this point. That’s ridiculous. Defined path, please. kthxbai.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

We still plan to do both new legendary weapons, as well as a clear path (on top of the current random chance) to gain precursors which players can see their progress and understand how much work they have left to do to gain it.

It’s highly likely the precursor concept will involve playing varied different content all over the game to gather numerous content specific materials that are combined together to make a precursor.

We do also want to maintain that chance you could get lucky and earn one earlier through random drops, so when we add the new system we will not remove the current one to ensure players have multiple ways to gain the items. Also with the upcoming update to WvW, there will be a chance players can earn precursors from the WvW rank reward chests as well.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

Wow. Anet actually responded to this? Heh. There might be a panic to starting hoarding T6 mats…

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

We still plan to do both new legendary weapons, as well as a clear path (on top of the current random chance) to gain precursors which players can see their progress and understand how much work they have left to do to gain it.

It’s highly likely the precursor concept will involve playing varied different content all over the game to gather numerous content specific materials that are combined together to make a precursor.

We do also want to maintain that chance you could get lucky and earn one earlier through random drops, so when we add the new system we will not remove the current one to ensure players have multiple ways to gain the items. Also with the upcoming update to WvW, there will be a chance players can earn precursors from the WvW rank reward chests as well.

Is there any sort of timeline on this? It was first stated over 6 months ago I believe. Is this something that is going to happen in the next few months? 6 more months? A year? 10 years? Obviously you can’t give us an exact date, but some sort of rough timeline would be nice.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

IT’S HAPPENING

And as for meteorlogicus, that concept has so many small and fine details that would make it near impossible to implement unless it was the size of a greatsword. That’s what I suspect, anyway.

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Also with the upcoming update to WvW, there will be a chance players can earn precursors from the WvW rank reward chests as well.

Good on ANet to do that for those WvW guys.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

<3 Thank you!

I just started working on Juggernaut, and the prospect of saving 630 gold for the precursor is making my eyes cross. I think your idea of what the “defined path” with consist of is perfectly acceptable.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Or more likely, “numerous content specific materials that are combined together to have a slight chance to make a precursor.”

This is GW2, after all.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Is there any sort of timeline on this? It was first stated over 6 months ago I believe. Is this something that is going to happen in the next few months? 6 more months? A year? 10 years? Obviously you can’t give us an exact date, but some sort of rough timeline would be nice.

We’ve learned we really can’t give timelines, since if we’re ever wrong a mob comes after us with torches and pitchforks I can say we started designing this, and realized the proper (not hacked in quick) solution needs to be a part of bigger systems that more clearly directs players as well as ties in comprehensive rewards for playing across our game world, which we’re currently working on right now.

Some small parts of that comprehensive plan for game reward systems are already rolling out this month with the updates to WvW rank rewards.

For more details of our high-level strategy, feel free to check out:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Well while you are here talking about precursors I have a small request, please make a mini gun or a shotgun version for rifles! You know you want to

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Skapocalypse.5236

Skapocalypse.5236

What about updates to legendary weapons that haven’t been updated yet like the Meteorlogicus and the Minstrel. Both are less then stellar in the legendary factor and need an update. Can we expect them to get updates?

Skapocalypse/SkaP

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Colin: If I could make a suggestion: Let not this “quest” be to gather more materials than we already need to(fear it turning into a..grind), but a legendary, epic, long, DIFFICULT quest/story chain.

One where the last mission is some mechanically challenging fight that you must solo(no grouping)..not a tank and spank, don’t throw 100 adds at us. A fight that can take 10-15 minutes to solo, one that will cause many wipes and deaths. One that not everybody can do.

I garuntee, it’ll feel epic and legendary then.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Grayson.2375

Grayson.2375

We’ve learned we really can’t give timelines, since if we’re ever wrong a mob comes after us with torches and pitchforks I can say we started designing this, and realized the proper (not hacked in quick) solution needs to be a part of bigger systems that more clearly directs players as well as ties in comprehensive rewards for playing across our game world, which we’re currently working on right now.

Hey Colin, how about the rework of the current Legends? Can give us a hint whether is there anyone actively working on it? Some legends are better now, but there are few still lacking so much.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

Since this thread got some attention, I’d like to bring in my own opinion on what they really NEED to pay attention when designing the scavenger hunt:

make it really, really, really, really, really hard to get all those things.
I don’t want to see every casual player obtaining his precursor in a day.
This need to be challenging so people have to work hard for it.
In my opinion, this is one of the most important things to pay attention while designing the hunt

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

“Some small parts of that comprehensive plan for game reward systems are already rolling out this month with the updates to WvW rank rewards.”

I can hear it now – lots of people are gonna complain that in order to get a precursor they will be ‘forced’ to WvW

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Looks like a legendary floor lamp.

New Legendaries / Rework

Hoyvin.3241

Great idea. Hopefully soon.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

“Some small parts of that comprehensive plan for game reward systems are already rolling out this month with the updates to WvW rank rewards.”

I can hear it now – lots of people are gonna complain that in order to get a precursor they will be ‘forced’ to WvW

Haha. That’d be the day.. The chances are probably as small as looting on in Orr anyway, chances are more than likely to be super small.

Probably be able to finally buy a precursor from the loot we get from the chests before actually getting one FROM a chest.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Mr. Johanson is being very careful here, indicating only that they “plan to do it” and “have started designing it”. That’s a far cry from beginnig to write code, which probably means not this year.

On the plus side, precursors from WvW chests should put some downward pressure on the TP. Congrats to everyone who sold at 600+ gold, they likely won’t trend up that high again.

Retired. Too many casuals.

(edited by Broadicea.8294)

New Legendaries / Rework

Hoyvin.3241

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

I hope your feet are fireproof, Colin.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Shezu Tsukai.8291

Shezu Tsukai.8291

Look to the Moa Chick of GW1. The quest was doable but lengthy and across all maps (4) of GW1.
1. It required unique and deadly situations. Seriously who in their right mind would purposely get hit by the Forgeman’s molten dump?
2. It required interesting play. Dipping the egg in a stream that you can easily see but “can’t get there from here” half hour treck.
3. And most importantly I didn’t have to farm 250 of anything!

Verum et Vitae

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Look to the Moa Chick of GW1. The quest was doable but lengthy and across all maps (4) of GW1.
1. It required unique and deadly situations. Seriously who in their right mind would purposely get hit by the Forgeman’s molten dump?
2. It required interesting play. Dipping the egg in a stream that you can easily see but “can’t get there from here” half hour treck.
3. And most importantly I didn’t have to farm 250 of anything!

This, I loved the Black Moa Chick quest feel. Something like this would be awesome with the GW2 world and could be used to bring life to certain areas as well as challenge players to get out there and do it. Much better than a quest to farm mats or just buy from the TP.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

Mr. Johanson is being very careful here, indicating only that they “plan to do it” and “have started designing it”. That’s a far cry from beginnig to write code, which probably means not this year.

On the plus side, precursors from WvW chests should put some downward pressure on the TP. Congrats to everyone who sold at 600+ gold, they likely won’t trend up that high again.

The same way meta chests and Guild Missions did? Yea… about that…

That directly implies they have an overarching design and have begun implementation. If I had to take a guess I would imagine it will come out on the 1 year anniversary of game release.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

I don’t the chance at getting a precursor from a WvW chest will have any significant impact on prices.

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Hyung.6140

Hyung.6140

Colin, I’m loving your answers here! But you can also answer the other part of the original question – reworks to the legendaries that exist but haven’t yet had one?

Meteorlogicus, the Minstrel, a few others that have received much less love than the rest of the legendaries. Please tell me you’re planning to bring them in line with the epicness of the rest!

—-
Hyinna, Gunnars Hold
[Ub] – My Life for Alesia

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: golmgamer.4372

golmgamer.4372

Good to hear that someone is thinking about precursor hunt. I don’t know what are Arena Net’s top priorities, but Legendaries should have been upper in the list.
As people said above: Design it carefull! No RNG or 250 of any maths, something hard rather than time consuming is always welcome.
Anyway, looking forward to it.

“Experience tells you what to do, confidence allows you to do it.” – Stan Smith

“Don’t beg for it, earn it, then it will be granted to you!” – Unknown

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Completing some specific dynamic events(in the higher level areas) to get some of the parts of the precursor would probably be a good fit for this. And with the Wiki having the ability to check what events are running and where.(Thanks to the API) it would be a bit of luck but also at the same time not. This would also make the Dynamic Events more rewarding which a lot of people have been asking for. Hearts don’t need to be as they are done for map completion but Dynamic events don’t really have the incentive to be done like they used too so they a lot of times are not done (unless they are world events).

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

I really hope that they make the scavenger difficult and long enough that players will still think that the 600g or so to buy some precursors is a suitable alternative.

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

+ a whole list of scavenger item requirements that can only be acquired through beating tough bosses, acquired at different times at the day, and through solo and team work.

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Shezu Tsukai.8291

Shezu Tsukai.8291

I would also add JP’s as being necessary in the quest. They are new, prolific, and not used in any other aspect of Legendary creation. Plus they feel perfect for a Precusor. Find a puzzle that fits each specifically.

Verum et Vitae

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I really hope that they make the scavenger difficult and long enough that players will still think that the 600g or so to buy some precursors is a suitable alternative.

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

+ a whole list of scavenger item requirements that can only be acquired through beating tough bosses, acquired at different times at the day, and through solo and team work.

No to guild commendations.
-Not everyone is in a guild.
-Not everyone wants to be in a guild
-Not everyone that is in a guild is in a large enough guild to acquire this.
-Not everyone that is in a large enough guild has the desire to do guild missions at all.
-Not every guild does guild missions, even if they can.

Absolute no to guild commendations. If I dont want to do guild missions, thats how I want to play…i.e. the whole theme of the game. So don’t force me to do that.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Some small parts of that comprehensive plan for game reward systems are already rolling out this month with the updates to WvW rank rewards.

That is certainly something I am looking forward too… I have almost everything I need for my legendary, but getting the precursor is really discouraging me.

New Legendaries / Rework

Hoyvin.3241

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

-Not everyone that is in a large enough guild has the desire to do guild missions at all.

Absolute no to guild commendations. If I dont want to do guild missions, thats how I want to play…i.e. the whole theme of the game. So don’t force me to do that.

I don’t disagree, but people would squawk about the WvW requirement, too. I think a system like they have for dailies and monthlies where you pick 4 out of 6 or whatever would be better.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Thanks Colin for the update, it’s certainly not taken for granted since you obviously spend a lot of time working on the game.

I’d like to adress a question since I wonder about this basically since I’ve seen the implementation of Legendaries in GW2: do you like the idea of having a lore-component to the legenaries? Killing 1000 WvW players without reason is experienced quite differently than if you would say:

“collect 1000 souls from your foes to feed the unsatiable thirst of Zhaitan which lives in the blade-shards of the broken sword-edge.” and you’d see the souls coming from killed players homing in on you.

I feel that the current creation of legendaries is quite detached (don’t take it as offensive, it’s not meant that way) from the weapon itself. With the exception of the lodestones; there is no explanation but it seems logical that you need charged lodestones to create a charged weapon.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I don’t disagree, but people would squawk about the WvW requirement, too. I think a system like they have for dailies and monthlies where you pick 4 out of 6 or whatever would be better.

True but WvW is a lot easier to do solo. Those people should really give WvW a try it is really not that scary. The mobs are just smarter and tend to bunch together.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

Well tough luck.

I could go around and say I want a precursor, but I don’t want to invest any time or money to get one. In fact, I don’t want to go play WvW, or kill mobs, or kill anything. I demand a precursor as soon as I log-in.

“So don’t force me to play the game I want to.”

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

WvW kills better be replaced by some wxp amount, because WvW is not about just killing things. And sPvP tourneys, also better be replaced by some more common and universal hotjoin activity, mb something like “Achieve rank 15+”.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I think what would be cool in the Precursor Scavenger Hunt is if we had to complete some of the more obscure events in the game, such as clearing the Inquest Base in Malchor’s Leap.

New Legendaries / Rework

Vol.5241

-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

WvW kills better be replaced by some wxp amount, because WvW is not about just killing things. And sPvP tourneys, also better be replaced by some more common and universal hotjoin activity, mb something like “Achieve rank 15+”.

Yeah, good suggestion. I totally forgot about the wxp. Maybe replace that with ranks? Obtain 50 ranks in WvW?

[Permabanned on Forums]

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I think what would be cool in the Precursor Scavenger Hunt is if we had to complete some of the more obscure events in the game, such as clearing the Inquest Base in Malchor’s Leap.

excellent, + add a reason why this is important for the creation of the weapon

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: DanFariasM.4632

DanFariasM.4632

They could add a series of achievements like the “requirements” people are commenting and then add an achievement chest just like the fused gauntlets or the karka backpiece but with a ticket for a precursor for when you do them all… that way it will take on what you have done to date (we won’t start from scratch) and limit that “bonus” for once every account in the game so it can’t be exploited for gold

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

I would like to see the effects extend to back slot items and maybe just tweak the way the aura works on Twilight. I am sure some others are like this.

I am also looking forward to what they do with the Scavenger hunt.

Attachments:

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: dallywolf.1906

dallywolf.1906

i.e. includes:
-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

I’m all for awarding precursors for some great feats like any of these but within a specific time frame. Like running 20 different dungeon paths within 24 hours.

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

-10,000 WvW kills
-90 laurels
-50 guild commendations
-dungeon master
-50 SPvP Tourneys

Killing players in WvW is the only thing worth while in WvW

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I would like sound effects for the juggernaut. When you walk, each step you make should sound like a tremor.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Glaurung.1076

Glaurung.1076

Ty for the replies colin! I hope you guys add some Lore to future and existing Legendary items cause they realy need it!

New Legendaries / Rework

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

Colin Johanson on the verge of inventing quest based reward and gameplay into an mmo?…