New Legendaries to compete with ESO?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

Has there been any more whisperings about the next legendary weapons?

If I was working at ANET, I would release them right before ESO is launched to re-energize the player base, but I would probably already be talking about them.

Maybe in the new year?

Any thoughts?

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

not worth it. Legendaries are not even an interest for the majority of the population.

They need to come out with something that appeals to everyone, or at least release a wide range of content that appeals to different people.

Posted by: OrangeMint.7980

OrangeMint.7980

I haven’t heard of anything, regarding new legendary weapons.

off topic: I think gw2 needs more than new legendaries to compete with ESo, like new permanent content, expansion, or whatever.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I haven’t heard of anything, regarding new legendary weapons.

off topic: I think gw2 needs more than new legendaries to compete with ESo, like new permanent content, expansion, or whatever.

They mentioned way back in July on the “The year so far” or w/e announcement.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

ESO will be dead 2 weeks right after release , if I was anet I would be worried about a game that looks promising like Wildstar.

ESO is pretty much copying all the gw2 ideas but with a terribad class system and combat. First person mode combat is more than a joke for an MMo , seriously that game has no chance whatsoever. And to keep players playing we need an expansion that’s it. I dont care about legendaries after I finish makin mine , its a massive grind fest. Im 300g away from twilight and I promise to never make a legendary again unless they fix the way its acquiered, I put at least 150 hours in that legendary and a random noob can buy from the shop ? GG. Ive seen a 5 signet warrior below 500 AP with eternity…

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

I agree that the first person view is pretty bad for a MMO.

You can’t compete with another game just with new skins, though.
To keep players from leaving, you either release an expansion or you make your game better than the other one.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Well ESO will find its audience, I have no doubt about that.

It’s WvW zones is roughly 100 times larger than those tiny WvW maps we have in GW2 and that alone adds a whole lair of depth to WvW.

I can’t say much about the character system and ability design but at least it might be something a little more defining than what we have in GW2, where there are practically no roles and no identity attached to anything.

But I do agree that the whole look and feel of the game is going to be very subjective. It hasn’t impressed me either and these rather intangible aspects are incredibly important.

I just wish it didn’t cost me 50 bucks to give it a try.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

“Compete with ESO” well. . . that’s something I’d never thought I’d hear.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I was tempted to do that so i did it http://www.google.com.au/trends/explore#q=wildstar%2C%20guild%20wars%2C%20elder%20scrolls&cmpt=q Thats google trends for WildStar ESO and Gw2 you can change the tags if you want you`ll get the same result ESO hasnt yet been released and the google searches are slightly above Gw2 while wildstar just start picking up. I use google trend for many things ( college assessment research etc.) and it always has good statistics of what ppl are currently looking for.

Edit: if the link doesnt work try to do manually from Google Trends

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

(edited by Immensus.9732)

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

ESO will be dead 2 weeks right after release

No it won’t. I’ve stayed away from any ESO content, but even if it’s as horrible as rumors say, the number of Elder Scrolls fan will ensure success in that MMO.

@OP, I doubt new-legendaries are going to keep anybody in this game unless they were going to stay anyway.

But, regardless, most people in this game log in for daily & LS metas anyway. Those can be completed alongside other MMOs.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

dbgamer.3407

not worth it. Legendaries are not even an interest for the majority of the population.

They need to come out with something that appeals to everyone, or at least release a wide range of content that appeals to different people.

Do you have some stats to back that up?

Not sure you can make a blanket statement like that.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

First person mode combat is more than a joke for an MMo .

Jepp .. that alone makes me have absolutely no interest at all in that game. Every other MMO with forced mouselook i deleted mostly 10-20 minutes after trying to play it, and they were at least F2P .. i would never pay for that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Flissy.4093

He doesn’t need stats, its a bloody true statement. A lot of the players who have them don’t even care about them, they just have them because “why not”. They aren’t even a goal, it’s just … something … to spend money on.

Light Up the Darkness

dbgamer.3407

“aren’t an interest for the majority of the population”? I wouldn’t think that’s true.

A lot of them don’t care – that’s a more reasonable thing to say than “the majority don’t care”

Just sayin – I would personally think the majority of players do care about Legendaries, but may never actually attain one.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I wouldn’t be too worried about ESO. It will probably be riddled with game breaking bugs that will never get fixed just like every other Bethesada game. I really hope they prove me wrong. I’ve been waiting for a multiplayer elderscroll game for a long time.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

ESO and WildStar are both going to be subscription based so I doubt Anet will have to worry about anything they put out.

From what I’ve seen with ESO, again, I doubt Anet has anything to worry about from that game for sure. WildStar looked impressive from what I’ve seen but, the monthly sub is going to set it back.

dbgamer.3407

You may be right, but I’m sure there are a lot of GW2 players (other than myself) who are itching for new content that will go check out ESO if ANETdoesn’t introduce something cool to grab our attention

Flissy.4093

ESO and WildStar are both going to be subscription based so I doubt Anet will have to worry about anything they put out.

ESO yes, but for WS there’s an option to “buy” game-time from other players – much like Aion. As long as the price of those items on the market can appeal to those who can barely play, it has potential to draw people from GW2.

Currently, the content that is being pumped out is a drag, meaning people are spreading that GW2 is not a game worth buying. This will mean not many people are coming into the game (notice how often GW2 has gone on sale recently?). People are drifting away from the game, and 2 more anticipated MMOs coming in will quicken that process.

Some servers will likely be shut down before June 2014.

Light Up the Darkness

(edited by Flissy.4093)

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Wildstar looks like puke. Probably ok game, but characters look like poor mans earthworm jim. Making my eyes bleed.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Flissy.4093

Wildstar looks like puke. Probably ok game, but characters look like poor mans earthworm jim. Making my eyes bleed.

Graphics don’t make a good game, we know that. The art style appeals to some, reminds me of Ratchet & Clank come Torchlight 2. We don’t need super-realistic graphics for a game that is fantasy and loopy. The art for it goes well with their very American humor too.

Light Up the Darkness

Immensus.9732

you know is funny that all these arguments have been seen before in the SWTOR forums were people believed that their game (SWTOR) had nothing to be afraid of Gw2 and some other games when they`ll be released, well see now, it barely has 3-4 server still open

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Arenanet doesn’t release new permanent content.

ANY new MMO will make players curious and check it out. Doesn’t matter if it ESO or Wildstar. GW2 has been using the same recycled content since launch.

Competing with GW2 isn’t going to take a AAA title.

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

This game doesn’t need any more legendaries right now. What it needs is new weapon choice as like we were promised, more lands unlocked like ring of fire and crystal desert. More balancing and a different dev in charge of class changes. Not being 100% focus on pvp. More in game rewards and skins to work to instead of just buying it from the gem store. More boss battles like teq , BUT these bosses need to be in an instance so real organization can happen with guilds and teams and make the rewards not solely based on RNG like always….

There’s more of course but I need not carry on further ATM.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t need facts, it’s just the way the game is built.

Legendaries are end-game items. They are the most rare class of items in the game. They are not attainable for a large majority of the population. If they were, everyone would get them.

Yes, I do realize that you are seeing perhaps 5-12 people in LA with sunrise or bifrost, but that’s still a tiny percentage of people.

It’s no different than releasing specific content and expecting it to be getting everyone excited. You won’t get everyone excited with a new wvw map, or a new dungeon, or a new spvp map. Those are tailored to specific audiences.

What Anet needs to do is release this wide range of content to appease everyone all at once, rather than specific content release like legendaries.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Has there been any more whisperings about the next legendary weapons?

If I was working at ANET, I would release them right before ESO is launched to re-energize the player base, but I would probably already be talking about them.

Maybe in the new year?

Any thoughts?

idk about legendary stuff, but they are ending ls and doing a content patch around the same time. competition is such a great motivator, so i look forward to all the new shinies that players have been begging for.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

you know is funny that all these arguments have been seen before in the SWTOR forums were people believed that their game (SWTOR) had nothing to be afraid of Gw2 and some other games when they`ll be released, well see now, it barely has 3-4 server still open

I’m gonna go out on a limb here that GW2 didn’t kill SWtoR… SWtoR did.

One of the most impressively badly managed MMOs I’ve ever seen. It’s like the Star Wars franchise operates under some kind of curse.

Now, if you want to make comparisons between the two that are scary, its that fully voicing your protagonists with high caliber talent from outside your company is looking like a worse idea every day. We haven’t had one new line of hero speech recorded since before launch, and THAT was pretty disastrous over in the SWtoR patch of MMO grass.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Immensus.9732

I’m gonna go out on a limb here that GW2 didn’t kill SWtoR… SWtoR did.

One of the most impressively badly managed MMOs I’ve ever seen. It’s like the Star Wars franchise operates under some kind of curse.

Now, if you want to make comparisons between the two that are scary, its that fully voicing your protagonists with high caliber talent from outside your company is looking like a worse idea every day. We haven’t had one new line of hero speech recorded since before launch, and THAT was pretty disastrous over in the SWtoR patch of MMO grass.

Yeah i agree that SWTOR killed itself for sure, but look now the similarity gw2 is killing slowly itself too because Devs do bad decisions

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

New end game content for pvers. Something to work towards other than legendaries/gear.

New WvW maps.

New spvp game mode that’s actually good. Oh, and that tournament system they told us this game would have….. still waiting for that.

If anet can do the above, this game should do just fine.

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

False notion that different payment models don’t compete with each other. I will play good games regardless of what payment model they are. If it is F2P or Subscription. MMOs will compete with each other.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

ESO will be dead 2 weeks right after release , if I was anet I would be worried about a game that looks promising like Wildstar.

ESO is pretty much copying all the gw2 ideas but with a terribad class system and combat. First person mode combat is more than a joke for an MMo , seriously that game has no chance whatsoever. And to keep players playing we need an expansion that’s it. I dont care about legendaries after I finish makin mine , its a massive grind fest. Im 300g away from twilight and I promise to never make a legendary again unless they fix the way its acquiered, I put at least 150 hours in that legendary and a random noob can buy from the shop ? GG. Ive seen a 5 signet warrior below 500 AP with eternity…

Even Wildstar is a bit ifly at least for pvp (both small and large scale) the pve looks like the stander but a lot slower soo much charging though monthly fees over all are going to destroy games for now on. I think the real composition is going to be EQ: Next.

But ya this seem how Anet dose it the big things happen when other big games come out or at least they timed it as such every 2 weeks you tend to hit a lot of games that come out.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’m actually expecting a big release to compete with eso. Thinking either something Cantha related or the crystal desert.

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

Having played ESO in the last beta, I can say that it was a lot of fun from my point of view. Will it be successful? Who knows at this point.

GW2 devs unfortunately don’t appear to be able design content without grind/crafting/zerging. Even adding new weapons and such most likely won’t save this game in the long run.

New legendaries? Most of the player base don’t care about them, they’ll need a lot more than that to compete with wild star/ESO.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Wildstar is directly targeting WOW. GW2 is not. With the trinity, raids and graphics wildstar is setting itself up to try to pull people from there. GW2 is set to target those who do not get a kick from trinity, raids and whatnot. There are people on forums who say GW2 is dying because they don’t have what Wildstar is putting in, they will leave, but they would have gone back to wow anyway so not a big deal (game is already bought).

Immensus.9732

is a fact that guilds have less and less active members day by day (at least most of them), is a fact that Ncsoft had 15% less revenue from Gw2 last Quarter, is a fact that many complaints that ppl saying from release havent yet been addressed. i never liked wow for many reasons but ill give wildstar a shot even though is very similar to wow, and the only reason is because the devs are very close to the community

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Windstar is a modern version of WoW
ESO is a Conan meets GW2
EQ next is a Wildstar meets GW2

Immensus.9732

ESO is a Conan meets GW2

aka EQN will kick bump

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

ESO is a Conan meets GW2

aka EQN will kick bump

Maybe, whenever it is released, which is unknown. Still many years of green grass ahead.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

The only competition for GW2 right now is FFXIV A Realm Reborn.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I doubt that ESO will succeed, If I was Arena Net I’d worry about Wildstar and especially EQN. How exactly are they planning to compete against open world sandbox MMO is beyond me. More living story with unlikable character?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

ESO is a totally different game and plays almost just as the offline do. Only thing you could really link to GW2 would be wvw. It’s kinda hard right now to tell what the game’s going to really be like on release. I found it to be fun thus far.

Something like new legendaries alone isn’t going to fill a full-length game’s role and make it compete better. o.O If that’s their aim it’d seem a bit rushed/lazy. They need to add new story, locations and so on for that. They seem to have some more interesting LS stuff prepared apparently for that~ would prefer an actual expansion at this point though. ;s

The only competition for GW2 right now is FFXIV A Realm Reborn.

Really? It feels kinda quiet and depressing when I play it compared to GW2, and the storyline is kinda tedious and loaded with fillers. >.< It’s not a bad game, not anymore. But it’s not going to compete with anything… at all. It’s just there off to the side. I do, however, wish my Thief had my Monk Artifact. -.- /sigh medium armor.
As for Wildstar, it sounded like it’d be fun, but then me and every single one of my friends lost interest when they went back on their no subscription announcement~ and even with that aside, after watching the live streams I started getting bored, which just makes that situation worse… they didn’t really show off anything new or interesting to set it apart from other mmos.

Dunno much about EQ Next, it would already appeal to my love of video game physics and my desire to break things though. .-.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You know how to compete with other games?

Cantha

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

New Legendaries only to compete with the fresh game based in the universie that has 100 x the fanbase of the GW? That would be some poor strategy.

I believe they already stated that they are throwing out something really huge in mid-March. Hopefully, it’s some new maps, skills, better balance etc.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Immensus.9732

New Legendaries only to compete with the fresh game based in the universie that has 100 x the fanbase of the GW? That would be some poor strategy.

I believe they already stated that they are throwing out something really huge in mid-March. Hopefully, it’s some new maps, skills, better balance etc.

well they just made a CDI thread for progression about skills etc. i doubt that we will see that in march features update

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

ESO will be dead 2 weeks right after release

No it won’t. I’ve stayed away from any ESO content, but even if it’s as horrible as rumors say, the number of Elder Scrolls fan will ensure success in that MMO.

That alone ain’t gonna be enough. Just look at FF14 1.0. One of the biggest IPs for RPGs in the world and just look at how hard that flopped. I’d say the FF fanbase is even bigger than Elder Scroll’s because its older and much more internationally recognized.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I think Anet is very aware of the competition. Their release schedule for the next months is way more easy-going on them. It will be the finale of the story + a major batch of features right after.

Will they deliver? Who knows.
But I think they’ll release a big chunk of content early 2014.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

ESO ? realy ?

that game is a joke compared to Wildstar

Wildstar offers waaaaay more.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

I’d love to know how releasing new legendaries is supposed to compete with the excitement of playing a new MMO. If it was an expansion then maybe I can see it, but some new weapons? lol, no.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

ESO ? realy ?

that game is a joke compared to Wildstar

Wildstar offers waaaaay more.

Well ESO have alliance war which probably is kitten, but at least ESO try to offer something for me.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

How about no?

When I first heard about legendary weapons, I wondered about what possible cool and challenging activities I’ll have to complete in order to get one. You know, because it’s a “legendary” weapon.

Then I found out that it’s a gigantic and expensive GRIND. Though I do suppose there is one challenging activity associated with these weapons. You need legendary patience when using the mystic toilet.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I agree that the first person view is pretty bad for a MMO.

In my opinion it’s perfectly fine and more MMOs should release with the choice of first person/ third person that most RPGs have. After all even Guild Wars 1 had first person if you felt like it. Plus wouldn’t it be cool to get out of combat, climb up to all of those vistas and stare at them trough your character’s eyes?
But yes, ESO will flop.