New Legendary Shield (Shooshadoo)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I have never been a fan of shields in any game, so when I feel like I have to equip them, I tend to favor the less traditional ones (SAB and Lovestruck are my faves). For me, Quaggan Shield is absolutely perfect.

Now I have to decide if making a legendary for a weapon that I only use on two alts is worth the time and effort.

@Felahr: You are being ridiculously overdramatic. Just because you find the shield’s theme to be silly doesn’t mean that it’s “ruining” the idea of legendaries. If you think a collection of weapons that includes a glorified pop gun, a rainbow unicorn spewing toy bow, and an actual disco ball hasn’t already shown its hand as being for a wide range of players, then you haven’t been paying very much attention.

(edited by Batelle.1680)

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Quaggans are overrated. :P -grabs popcorn-

Heratic!!

I don’t have a thing for legendaries as I’m lazy and am relatively happy with my weapon skins as they are. That said, this shield is fun and silly and beautifully done artwork all at the same time. I can’t wait to see other players using it.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I like it. Considering the first legendary shield was a serious one, rather than a joke, it seems fitting that the second should be more jokey (Quip/Hope, Dreamer/Chuk Chump, Bifrost/Nevermore etc.)

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I have no issue with the shield skin itself, it looks quite good fun actually.

I remember many moaned about Chuka and Champawat before it came out, but there is nothing wrong with that legendary and I haven’t seen any complaints about it since it was released.

Fair play if it isn’t to an individual taste, but it’s hardly rubbish and plenty of ppl have wanted a Quaggan themed weapon for a while. They are never going to satisfy everyone.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

i hate all three of you. if it was a black lion set that was fun and silly, i would stand behind that and probably get all of them, like i did the Improvised set that was hilarious. but not as a LEGENDARY. way to cheapen it.

I just have no problem with silly legendary weapons (obviously). My second legendary was Moot, and it’s still one of my favorite weapons in the game. In the case of a hypothetical skritt GS, we already have three “serious” GS from the base game set; having a fourth, silly one wouldn’t hurt anything and would appeal to those who appreciate a good skritt.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

so make it a black lion set, and do 1 for every race on the world of tyria. you get your silly weapons, and you dont kitten all over the Legendary scheme

RoseofGilead.8907

so make it a black lion set, and do 1 for every race on the world of tyria. you get your silly weapons, and you dont kitten all over the Legendary scheme

Anet wanted to make this a legendary weapon, and many people seem to like the idea. Obviously, not everyone will care for it, and that’s cool, too. But it’s already happened (probably, unless this does somehow end up being a gem store skin).

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Some people actually like that as a legendary weapons and some people do not. No single legendary weapon will appeal to everyone. I personally didn’t care for the tiger one. Does that mean that Anet should not have released that as a legendary but as a themed BLTC skin? I don’t care for Nevermore either so should that be made into a themed BLTC skin too?

Randulf.7614

The legendary scheme as you put it has no rules about being serious or silly. They are meant to be skins with additional details, animations and effects that other skins lack. Whether they are serious or not has never been relevant since the beginning.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i don’t dislike the look of that new legendary shield but i was still hoping for a legendary shield that doesnt have the same color scheme (light + blue) like the already existing one :/

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: eliroth.3869

eliroth.3869

I like it. Considering the first legendary shield was a serious one, rather than a joke, it seems fitting that the second should be more jokey (Quip/Hope, Dreamer/Chuk Chump, Bifrost/Nevermore etc.)

I hope you mean Bifrost for staff because nevermore seems more of a serious type legendary which’s lore is deeply embedded in Norn culture.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

I hope you mean Bifrost for staff because nevermore seems more of a serious type legendary which’s lore is deeply embedded in Norn culture.

I think you mean the opposite http://norse-mythology.org/cosmology/bifrost/

RoseofGilead.8907

The Bifrost in GW2 (like all of the other base game legendaries) has no lore behind it. The Nevermore one does have some lore, and it’s based on Norn culture (specifically the Raven spirit).

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

Legit last straw for me if this is the legendary shield, many of my friends quit shortly AFTER the start of this expansion but I carried on through desert bl, content drought and everything else that made this expansion a disappointment in the eyes of many. If this is seriously considered legendary in the eyes of Anet I will not be buying any future expansions. I don’t like flameseeker prophecies that much to begin with, mostly because it doesn’t glow when shiefed making it look bad and was looking forward to the legendary shield that was suppose to be coming with this expansion for my mesmer, but if it’s that, no thanks.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

(edited by Aitadis.8269)

Randulf.7614

Neither are “silly” legendaries, however Nevermore is based on GW2 mythology. Bifrost is not. It is based on mythology from our World and is completely unrelated to the Norn (who are loosely based on a variety of cultures including Norse and North American).

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Who gets to decide what is and is not acceptable as a legendary?

My favourite legendary is the Dreamer, and I’ve never seen the appeal of the greatswords, they seem quite bland to me.

Why is my opinion less valid than yours? Why do you get to dictate what ideas and themes legendaries should follow and which are ‘too silly’ and should be relegated to BLC weapons or not allowed at all?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Neve.3145

Neve.3145

This is the most fantastic thing ever.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Who gets to decide what is and is not acceptable as a legendary?

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

It’s ANet.

~EW

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

I personally think this shield is original and sweet. Even if I don’t use shield that much I’ll probably make it because the concept is cool. /OP

Posted by: asterix.9614

asterix.9614

Pity I main an asura

I am playing that game where the floor is made out of lava, imma stuck in bed

Batelle.1680

S/O to the team who’s in charge of creating and approving legendaries, you truly believe you’re cool/funny/awesome…you’re not.

I hope that someone from Anet sees this and/or passes it onto the team. We might actually get the Three-Skritt-in-a-Trenchcoat greatsword, and GW2 will cement itself in my mind as the greatest game every made.

Also, and again, there are people who wanted a quaggan themed weapon, and shield is a relatively safe weapon to make “silly”, because it’s not as widely used as other weapons and the existing shield legendary is incredibly understated/lore relevant.

Posted by: eliroth.3869

eliroth.3869

Also, people are so focused hating on the quaggan shield itself but I’m even more bothered by the fact that the footfalls is just another howler/frostfang. :/

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

S/O to the team who’s in charge of creating and approving legendaries, you truly believe you’re cool/funny/awesome…you’re not.

I hope that someone from Anet sees this and/or passes it onto the team. We might actually get the Three-Skritt-in-a-Trenchcoat greatsword, and GW2 will cement itself in my mind as the greatest game every made.

How about a legendary Torch that is a live, magically immortal Skritt on a fancy stick that bursts into eternal flames when you enter battle?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

How about a legendary Torch that is a live, magically immortal Skritt on a fancy stick that bursts into eternal flames when you enter battle?

Light the lamp not the skritt!

I love the weird and wonderful ‘off’ legendaries…Dreamer is the first one I made and by far my favorite. I love watching them come up with the weird ones.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

i had given up on the stress of making a legendary. this might get me to make one. wish we knew the requirements early so i could start XD

im bad at sarcasm

Batelle.1680

i had given up on the stress of making a legendary. this might get me to make one. wish we knew the requirements early so i could start XD

It’s a pretty safe assumption that you’ll need lots and lots of HoT map currencies, mithril, elder wood, and the T6 mats for the various gifts. There might be some T5/T6 leather required, so start hoarding that just in case.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

It’s a pretty safe assumption that you’ll need lots and lots of HoT map currencies, mithril, elder wood, and the T6 mats for the various gifts. There might be some T5/T6 leather required, so start hoarding that just in case.

ty a ton

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You will need
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Tribute
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Maguuma_Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_the_Mists

Probably need https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Metal as well

The HoT currency should be fairly minor compared to the other stuff like ~26k Elder Wood Logs and Mithril Ore.

You are also going to have to hand over around 180g/190g to Miyani for recipe sheets and the Mystic Runestones. With the other stuff you can avoid having the gold to by gathering the items yourself or waiting for the Mystic Coins but these are unavoidable gold requirements.

You will also need a Ball of Dark Energy which means salvaging the cheapest piece of weapon or armor you can get your hands on. This is around 60g right now for an ascended shield.

Posted by: electricwater.1572

electricwater.1572

Honestly anet, WTF?

It’s a LEGENDARY after all. Are you marketing this game to toddlers? Ponies, quaggans, clown guns.

Why not make a legendary what it is supposed to be? A powerful awesome weapon. Not another annoying squeaking joke.

Oh man, I already imagine people running around in LA with this abomination. Together with giant wings and phospholuminescent infusion, ofc.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Although I’m personally not a fan of quaggans, that shield is frikkin amazing!!! Totally works as a legendary. Please work for Anet.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

whats next, a legendary GS thats just 5 skritt in a trench coat?

This is the single greatest idea for a weapon ever. It must become a reality!

I would do anything to get such a GS.

i hate all three of you. if it was a black lion set that was fun and silly, i would stand behind that and probably get all of them, like i did the Improvised set that was hilarious. but not as a LEGENDARY. way to cheapen it.

Legendaries have always looked fugly as kitten, once you come to terms with that its whatever from then on. The only decent/good looking one is the shark spear. Though it will most likey never happen – I’d rather them implement into the transfer skin feature the abilities to retain particles/footsteps while choosing a different skin. That would actually be a great selling point for them.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I have never been a fan of shields in any game, so when I feel like I have to equip them, I tend to favor the less traditional ones (SAB and Lovestruck are my faves). For me, Quaggan Shield is absolutely perfect.

Now I have to decide if making a legendary for a weapon that I only use on two alts is worth the time and effort.

@Felahr: You are being ridiculously overdramatic. Just because you find the shield’s theme to be silly doesn’t mean that it’s “ruining” the idea of legendaries. If you think a collection of weapons that includes a glorified pop gun, a rainbow unicorn spewing toy bow, and an actual disco ball hasn’t already shown its hand as being for a wide range of players, then you haven’t been paying very much attention.

While I am not going to be over-dramatic about it, I do wonder sometimes about Anet’s perspective on Legendaries. On one hand, they are probably the most difficult things to get in-game and that is why they are called “Legendary”, but on the other hand the goofy ones are not very “Legendary” in a Fantasy way.

I don’t mind the introduction of really silly things in the game (vs the story), but I think what Felahr might be objecting to is Anet taking a group of incredibly rare and hard to get items and trivializing some of them in this way. Some of us really like the story and want our characters to be Heroic. Now a percentage of these already super-rare weapons are not a choice for us.

I think that goofy things should be exclusively Festival, Gemstore, or BL ticket items, not something a character actively pursues in the game world. I can’t see “The Commander” taking time away from saving the world in order to obtain a toy “quaggan in a bowl”.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

While I am not going to be over-dramatic about it, I do wonder sometimes about Anet’s perspective on Legendaries. On one hand, they are probably the most difficult things to get in-game and that is why they are called “Legendary”, but on the other hand the goofy ones are not very “Legendary” in a Fantasy way.

I don’t mind the introduction of really silly things in the game (vs the story), but I think what Felahr might be objecting to is Anet taking a group of incredibly rare and hard to get items and trivializing some of them in this way. Some of us really like the story and want our characters to be Heroic. Now a percentage of these already super-rare weapons are not a choice for us.

I think that goofy things should be exclusively Festival, Gemstore, or BL ticket items, not something a character actively pursues in the game world. I can’t see “The Commander” taking time away from saving the world in order to obtain a toy “quaggan in a bowl”.

Not every Commander takes themselves quite so seriously

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

In some games a Legendary will have “legendary stats” as compared to other weapons. In a game like this one where a Legendary is a fashion statement then being serious all the time is actually a negative. When you think about it, fashion is frequently built on silly things, such as in real life, wearing a hat with cascades of fruit and flowers.

This game is fashion wars where you fight to get the best fashion, not stat wars where you fight to get the best stats.

Edit: I actually have a character that this shield might work on. He has a pompous, self important, yet somewhat silly style that this would fit.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Excelvior.8520

Excelvior.8520

Oh man, the possibilities!!!
Quaggan jumps out of shield and blocks an arrow while yelling DENIED! COOOO!
I am making Eureka for my PVP bloodthirsty huge mean charr, this will be a perfect addition. Said no one, ever. :P
Still, awesome skin!

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i don’t like it, nor the previous one, and shield since chronomancer is basically all i use…
so sad right now

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Not my cup of tea.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

My girlfriend never wanted a legendary… until now. I respect that this legendary will not be for everyone and that there will be people who are inevitably disappointed. Nevertheless, I am happy that there are people excited by this new legendary.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Quaggan Legendary! In an aquarium!

Get the coo! nana-na-na
Get the coo shoosha!

Thank you Arenanet! Thank you!!

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

See, the thing is, there’s no comparison between the amount of work going towards a legendary and a BLTC weapon.

So, you are basically saying that those that like more lighthearted weapons don’t deserve to wield a weapon with animated parts, special effects, footfalls, and modified skill effects, because it should be reserved for serious weapons.

Not to mention, the overwhelming majority of BLTC skins released are serious looking ones.

I could accept this as an issue during the first generation, when pistol, shortbow, mace, focus and staff only had a silly skin to choose, but with the second generation, as long as there’s a serious-looking alternative, I don’t see why they can’t make a sillier weapon.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Bifrost being the jokey one yes. My friend and I nicknamed it the rainbow buttplug.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

Didn’t like it. I hope the sword and GS won’t look silly also =/

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Lol, I’m loving it already!

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Shield was made for all us quaggan haters!
Everytime you block an attack a quaggan dies and a new one is automatically teleported in. Fight some big fights, block a lot with the shields, and we can rid the world of quaggans

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Not my cup of tea.

I think you mean cup bowl of quaggan

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I wonder how much that shield weighs. :P

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Any screenshot showing how Aegis ruins it?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Legit last straw for me if this is the legendary shield, many of my friends quit shortly AFTER the start of this expansion but I carried on through desert bl, content drought and everything else that made this expansion a disappointment in the eyes of many. If this is seriously considered legendary in the eyes of Anet I will not be buying any future expansions. I don’t like flameseeker prophecies that much to begin with, mostly because it doesn’t glow when shiefed making it look bad and was looking forward to the legendary shield that was suppose to be coming with this expansion for my mesmer, but if it’s that, no thanks.

If you leave…can I have your mystic coins to help me make this most amazing shield?

If it was any quaggan other than the killer whale quaggan I would have been Hmmm maybe about it, but that’s my favorite of the quaggans. and it’s a fishbowl. I shall sploosh water everywhere and protect myself with a (hopefully bulletproof) glass fishbowl!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Pity I main an asura

I was thinking that. My character most likely to use this is an asura and I’m worried it might be too small to appreciate on her.

Meanwhile I’m wondering what’s trivial and non-heroic about a bow that shoots unicorns. Can you imagine how it’d feel to be hit by a projectile unicorn? It’s like the crazy, magical equivalent of a hand-held ballista.

You’re absolutely right that it’s silly. But to me that makes it even more special. It is the single most absurdly over the top weapon I have ever seen in any game I’ve ever played, or heard of. That’s pretty legendary to my mind.

This shield is working along the same lines. No it might not fit the stereotypical fantasy hero concept, but honestly neither do my characters and it appeals to my personality and theirs.

To me a disappointing legendary is something like Frostfang. It’s an axe that’s…cold…and spikey. End of story. There’s nothing particularly special about it. But other people love it, and that’s their opinion and no more right or wrong than mine.

As for excluding some people from some weapons that’s true of any design they could come up with. I couldn’t use Frostfang because as well as finding it dull it’s too blocky to suit the character I’d give it to. I can’t use incinerator because my elementalist is a sylvari and the nature theme extends to her weapons (she uses a primordius dagger and a corrupted shard, which look like they’re forged from fire and ice) – an obviously manufactured weapon would look completely wrong on her.

And then there’s weapons where the weapon type doesn’t fit. I can’t use the Minstrel or Moot/Eureka because I don’t use foci or maces on any of my characters. If I really loved the design I might push myself into it, but it’d be a trade-off. (And I know one guy who crafted two Moots, back before the wardrobe, purely to dual wield while standing in LA, he never uses them in combat.)

Other people will have their own lists of legendaries and weapon types they don’t use. And in that sense more variety can only be a good thing I think. Even if you personally won’t use this exact weapon the fact that they’re making more legendaries (and adding more weapon types to each profession) means there’s far more chance that eventually there will be new ones you can use.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”