New Legendary Shield (Shooshadoo)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I could accept this as an issue during the first generation, when pistol, shortbow, mace, focus and staff only had a silly skin to choose, but with the second generation, as long as there’s a serious-looking alternative, I don’t see why they can’t make a sillier weapon.

Personally I’m hoping they eventually end up with at least one ‘silly’ and one ‘serious’ option for each legendary. So making opposites of the ones we’ve already got.

In practice that will probably require making a whole range of them for each weapon, because it’s not always that clear-cut. For example I wouldn’t describe the Bifrost as silly, just colourful (which is entirely appropriate given the name). I also wouldn’t called Nevermore silly, but it’s definitely less colourful. Whereas some people think they’re both absurd and there is no sensible option for a legendary staff.

The downside to that is it will take a long time, even without adding the journeys, to get multiples of every singe legendary. But hopefully in the long run that’s what they’ll end up with.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

asterix.9614

Pity I main an asura

Maybe they’ll come out with a special asura-only version that features a chipmunk instead of a quaggan?

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

From one perspective, this could be considered one of the darkest and most evil of the legendary weapons…. The shield could be being powered by that baby quaggan. Quaggan children are a largely untapped renewable resource. Add to that you’re simultaneously using a baby quaggan as protection vs attacks…. yeah, that’s way more evil than a staff that mind-controls flocks of birds.

~EW

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

asterix.9614

Pity I main an asura

Maybe they’ll come out with a special asura-only version that features a chipmunk instead of a quaggan?

No, the Asura will be in the Tank with the Quaggan.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

They should of had him pull out a stick and a rock shield, when he goes into his bowl. That would be cuteness overload.

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Pity I main an asura

I am actually disappointed that my primary shield users are not asura. Personally I hate when shields are so huge and I find that the scaling on an Asura makes them more tolerable. I might make some new asurans specifically to use this shield without the size driving me crazy.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

As for excluding some people from some weapons that’s true of any design they could come up with. I couldn’t use Frostfang because as well as finding it dull it’s too blocky to suit the character I’d give it to. I can’t use incinerator because my elementalist is a sylvari and the nature theme extends to her weapons (she uses a primordius dagger and a corrupted shard, which look like they’re forged from fire and ice) – an obviously manufactured weapon would look completely wrong on her.

Incinerator also has a good chance of making your ears bleed if you use it on the main hand with an elementalist.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

Oh man, the possibilities!!!
Quaggan jumps out of shield and blocks an arrow while yelling DENIED! COOOO!
I am making Eureka for my PVP bloodthirsty huge mean charr, this will be a perfect addition. Said no one, ever. :P
Still, awesome skin!

this one got me.:D

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Pity I main an asura

I was thinking that. My character most likely to use this is an asura and I’m worried it might be too small to appreciate on her.

I have never been a fan of shields in any game, so when I feel like I have to equip them, I tend to favor the less traditional ones (SAB and Lovestruck are my faves). For me, Quaggan Shield is absolutely perfect.

Now I have to decide if making a legendary for a weapon that I only use on two alts is worth the time and effort.

@Felahr: You are being ridiculously overdramatic. Just because you find the shield’s theme to be silly doesn’t mean that it’s “ruining” the idea of legendaries. If you think a collection of weapons that includes a glorified pop gun, a rainbow unicorn spewing toy bow, and an actual disco ball hasn’t already shown its hand as being for a wide range of players, then you haven’t been paying very much attention.

While I am not going to be over-dramatic about it, I do wonder sometimes about Anet’s perspective on Legendaries. On one hand, they are probably the most difficult things to get in-game and that is why they are called “Legendary”, but on the other hand the goofy ones are not very “Legendary” in a Fantasy way.

I don’t mind the introduction of really silly things in the game (vs the story), but I think what Felahr might be objecting to is Anet taking a group of incredibly rare and hard to get items and trivializing some of them in this way. Some of us really like the story and want our characters to be Heroic. Now a percentage of these already super-rare weapons are not a choice for us.

I think that goofy things should be exclusively Festival, Gemstore, or BL ticket items, not something a character actively pursues in the game world. I can’t see “The Commander” taking time away from saving the world in order to obtain a toy “quaggan in a bowl”.

You’re absolutely right that it’s silly. But to me that makes it even more special. It is the single most absurdly over the top weapon I have ever seen in any game I’ve ever played, or heard of. That’s pretty legendary to my mind.

As I said, I am speaking of Heroic Fantasy which is what GW2 is based in. A game that supposedly values Story and puts your character in charge of an army to save the world. Since you don’t have a problem mixing a quest for an absurdly silly item with your Heroic Fantasy, you aren’t really arguing with me and my point still stands.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

I have never been a fan of shields in any game, so when I feel like I have to equip them, I tend to favor the less traditional ones (SAB and Lovestruck are my faves). For me, Quaggan Shield is absolutely perfect.

Now I have to decide if making a legendary for a weapon that I only use on two alts is worth the time and effort.

@Felahr: You are being ridiculously overdramatic. Just because you find the shield’s theme to be silly doesn’t mean that it’s “ruining” the idea of legendaries. If you think a collection of weapons that includes a glorified pop gun, a rainbow unicorn spewing toy bow, and an actual disco ball hasn’t already shown its hand as being for a wide range of players, then you haven’t been paying very much attention.

While I am not going to be over-dramatic about it, I do wonder sometimes about Anet’s perspective on Legendaries. On one hand, they are probably the most difficult things to get in-game and that is why they are called “Legendary”, but on the other hand the goofy ones are not very “Legendary” in a Fantasy way.

I don’t mind the introduction of really silly things in the game (vs the story), but I think what Felahr might be objecting to is Anet taking a group of incredibly rare and hard to get items and trivializing some of them in this way. Some of us really like the story and want our characters to be Heroic. Now a percentage of these already super-rare weapons are not a choice for us.

I think that goofy things should be exclusively Festival, Gemstore, or BL ticket items, not something a character actively pursues in the game world. I can’t see “The Commander” taking time away from saving the world in order to obtain a toy “quaggan in a bowl”.

Not every Commander takes themselves quite so seriously

You weren’t made Commander because of how seriously you took yourself, but to save the world…

“Excuse me, I know there are dragons to kill but I’m going to spend a lot of time and money to get a Quaggen in a Bowl toy for myself.”

As I said, I don’t have a problem with this type of item just that it is a Legendary Weapon.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

You weren’t made Commander because of how seriously you took yourself, but to save the world…

“Excuse me, I know there are dragons to kill but I’m going to spend a lot of time and money to get a Quaggen in a Bowl toy for myself.”

As I said, I don’t have a problem with this type of item just that it is a Legendary Weapon.

I’d argue that stopping to spend a lot of time and money on any legendary, or even ascended gear, is bad optics for the Pact Commander. I mean, assuming that the story timeline is, like, two weeks.

Fortunately for us, we can travel back and forth through time between pre-Zhaitan zones and post-Mordremoth zones, so time really isn’t too much of an issue at this point.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

If my daughter and I get too involved in discussing Star Wars or a super hero movie, my wife likes to say, “You guys know this is just a movie, right? It’s not real?”

So…

“You guys know this is a game, right?”

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

its almost like you cant please everyone with a single skin

Posted by: Thornum.8607

Thornum.8607

Since there’s so much dislike present for the poor Quaggan, I wanna tell him he’ll be my first legendary to craft

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

Since there’s so much dislike present for the poor Quaggan, I wanna tell him he’ll be my first legendary to craft

same. and many other people will be agreeing. you dont like it. i dont mind. i do XD

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: ColdHatred.7230

ColdHatred.7230

Quip and this. LOL

Asuran Engineer – Ëlixir

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Kraits would be celebrating…….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Djinn.9245

If my daughter and I get too involved in discussing Star Wars or a super hero movie, my wife likes to say, “You guys know this is just a movie, right? It’s not real?”

So…

“You guys know this is a game, right?”

I don’t consider having a calm discussion to be “too involved”.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Should have been Shoopadoopa instead….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I was wondering what happened to the Saints Row devs after THQ went under… Looks like they got hired by Arenanet to design legendaries. XD

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Wait, is this a concept that someone came up with themselves, or is it a leaked preview of a new legendary shield? I thought it was a player made concept of a new legendary… I’m confused…

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: rebalnz.3869

rebalnz.3869

Wait, is this a concept that someone came up with themselves, or is it a leaked preview of a new legendary shield? I thought it was a player made concept of a new legendary… I’m confused…

its a new legendary coming with next episode in living world. im not a fan of the silly legendaries but it still looks nice. would be cool if when deployed the quagon turned into a dragon corrupted version in the bowl or something. like a trapped experiment lol.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

its a new legendary coming with next episode in living world. im not a fan of the silly legendaries but it still looks nice. would be cool if when deployed the quagon turned into a dragon corrupted version in the bowl or something. like a trapped experiment lol.

Oh cool, thanks for clearing that up! :-D

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I wonder why they design the less used weapons first? Shortbow, mace, and now shield. Cant they come up with sword or greatsword? :/

Shield is actually a a pretty good weapon for Chronomancers. I like having a mace off hand with my warrior I made Eureka for off hand with Frostfang main hand to have a fire and ice theme.
I quite like the new shield, possibly one I’ll start working on when it’s released.
There are already 3 Legendary greatswords.

Well, technically there are two pretty precursors for Eternity, considering that the vast majority of people that go for the legendary greatsword are going for Eternity and you don’t get to keep the other two legendaries when you make the third. If there were three Greatswords, then you’d have all three at the same time, with stats you could change.

I don’t like the Eternity concept personally. I find it annoying that one of my favorite weapons is a greatsword, yet I have no desire for the greatswords they have out. They really aren’t stand alone weapons. I’ve decided to craft foefire essence to go with Nevermore on my Reaper. She also has the teal spectral amulet that was released with halloween, and the phantasm glider…

Posted by: Huttunen.8309

Huttunen.8309

Oh man, the possibilities!!!
Quaggan jumps out of shield and blocks an arrow while yelling DENIED! COOOO!
I am making Eureka for my PVP bloodthirsty huge mean charr, this will be a perfect addition. Said no one, ever. :P
Still, awesome skin!

I made eureka and might actually make this one with it. Because why the hell not!

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

To me, it smacks of brand reinforcement. Something that reminds us all that this is the GW franchise.

The Flameseeker Prophecies shield clearly can’t be topped, so they’ve had a laugh with the new one. That’s fine.

It does seem to be a lot of expense (man-hours), but hey that’s legendaries, I guess.

I can’t really complain about this. It’s a shame shield skills are only good on a few builds, so I don’t expect to see it much.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

…whats next, a legendary GS thats just 5 skritt in a trench coat? why not a hammer thats a big ogre that you swing around by his topknot. oh wait, lets make a kittening rifle with a dredge face on the butt, and you have to poke it in the eye sockets to fire the gun…

You sir/ma’am should work for anet… such great ideas!

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

its not a matter of ‘topping’ flameseeker. its an attempt to appeal to other players. i HATE flameseeker prophesies. least favorite legendary by a longshot. but i am definately making this new shield, even though i barely use shield on anyone. bring on more joke versions of legendaries if thats what we wanna call em. (joke versions of the ones that already have a serious version)

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

You could argue then, that almost any activity not Pact related is a ‘waste of commander time’

“How dare you go play Tixx’s Infinirarium during Winterday, there are dragons to fight Commander!”

Posted by: Taetdris.4018

Taetdris.4018

The amazing thing about Guild Wars is that, even though the game is ripe with lore and adventure, brimming with stories to tell, it gives you the creative freedom to make your own story. If you want your story to involve a Quaggan stuck in a shield-shaped fishbowl, than it can. Maybe said Quaggan is your best friend. Maybe you were incidentally involved in just HOW the Quaggan got into said shield-shaped fishbowl and you are on a life-long quest to save him from his purgatory. There are so many ways to shape a story. While I see your point, it can also be argued that fantasy is named aptly. Fantasy can be serious, it can be silly, it can be whatever you make of it. Telling us to stick to a single format and never divulge in absurdities in the names of dragons and heroes means it is no longer “fantasy”.

Let people have their fun. You don’t have to get the weapon- no one is forcing you to. For those of us who will, and who will love every second of it- our story is no less valid than yours. We just enjoy trapping Quaggans.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

A shield and a quagan soup merged?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Djinn.9245

Well, technically there are two pretty precursors for Eternity, considering that the vast majority of people that go for the legendary greatsword are going for Eternity and you don’t get to keep the other two legendaries when you make the third. If there were three Greatswords, then you’d have all three at the same time, with stats you could change.

Not sure why you are saying there aren’t 3 Legendary Greatswords – there are. And you CAN have all 3, you would just have to make Sunrise and Twilight twice. Once to create Eternity and once to keep.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

A fish tank as a shield

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

whats next, a legendary GS thats just 5 skritt in a trench coat?

This would be hilarious lol. There aren’t enough funny GS skins. ANet pls.

I don’t get what all the complaining is about. It’s different and fun. Very few shields are. If you hate the skin and want the legendary, just use a transmute, and problem solved.

It’s like the dagger skin that’s holding an undead arm that’s holding a dagger. It’s silly and goofy and that whimsy is a major part of the game.

Posted by: Taetdris.4018

Taetdris.4018

Not sure why you are saying there aren’t 3 Legendary Greatswords – there are. And you CAN have all 3, you would just have to make Sunrise and Twilight twice. Once to create Eternity and once to keep.

Only if you’re set on having Sunrise and Twilight as legendary. If you’re fine with ascended, you do get the skins from them when you make eternity, so you don’t HAVE to make them twice.

Djinn.9245

You could argue then, that almost any activity not Pact related is a ‘waste of commander time’

“How dare you go play Tixx’s Infinirarium during Winterday, there are dragons to fight Commander!”

As I see it, going through the process of obtaining a Legendary Weapon is like a Heroic Quest – like trying to get Excalibur. Its not comparable to playing any of the minigames / Festival games which I see as taking your character outside of the main game.

This huge difference between Heroic / Legendary and silliness is why I am sad that some Legendary Weapons are silly. Obviously some already existed and I don’t expect Anet to remove those, but I am disappointed that they are adding more.