New Mastery Idea: Climbing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Do you think this could ever be possible, or fun to do in GW? Being able to climb up walls, cliffs, mountains, using ledges, and jumping from one point to another while climbing. For those who have played games like assassin’s creed and tomb raider you are already familiar with this type of parkour style of movement and gameplay. Is this something we might ever be able to do in GW?

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

There may be merit to your suggestion if explored a bit more.

Wouldn’t that make vistas and jumping puzzles pointless? And if falling, due to a glider, isn’t a problem, then where’s the challenge?

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Wouldn’t that make vistas and jumping puzzles pointless? And if falling, due to a glider, isn’t a problem, then where’s the challenge?

Gliding and mesmer ports already take most of the challenge out of those things lol. But this was more of an idea for future content, so maps would be specifically designed to handle it, like HoT was for gliding. And then it could be incorporated into the rest of Tyria. They could always put a no-climb zone in JP’s lol.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Maybe they could add the zephyrites skills as masteries that you earn through xP and story…..Anyway there is already some rumors about raptors that you ride so who knows..

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I doubt we’d ever see Assassin’s Creed style parkour in GW2. The engine isn’t built with that sort of movement in mind. It’d require a lot of under-the-hood engine improvements. In addition, they’d basically have to reprogram every world object in the game from scratch to add the necessary nodes and such to accomplish parkour style climbing. It would be a massive undertaking, and one probably not feasible or worth the immense amount of effort they’d have to put in.

MAYBE we could see basic “point A to point B” climbing. Like climbing a rope or something.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Easy enough to enable no climbing where you enable no gliding.

I think this would be a really cool mastery. Probably not much use in central Tyria or maguuma jungle maps, but it would be hella fun if a map was designed with climbing in mind

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I remember the first Tomb Raider game. Where in some places you had to run and jump and catch ledges with your fingertips, then walk ledges and around corners still gripped by your fingertips and pull yourself up to get to where you needed to be. That was 1996.

Fast forward twenty years and yeah, I can raise the dead (albeit horribly) and glide from tree to tree, but I can’t climb anything I can’t just jump up.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I remember the first Tomb Raider game. Where in some places you had to run and jump and catch ledges with your fingertips, then walk ledges and around corners still gripped by your fingertips and pull yourself up to get to where you needed to be. That was 1996.

Fast forward twenty years and yeah, I can raise the dead (albeit horribly) and glide from tree to tree, but I can’t climb anything I can’t just jump up.

Different engines. Just because technology has improved does not mean that modern games can automatically do anything older games can do.

Tomb Raider was specifically built to support that behavior. There were spots encoded into the terrain that the engine knew you could hold onto with your fingertips, and it would let you if you tried. GW2 is not encoded like that. Walls are often times sheer surfaces under their skins (I imagine, no reason to make them otherwise unless you want to specifically degrade performance), so ANet would not only have to redo part of the engine to support this behavior (which would happen if it was added), but also go through and add all of those spots to walls they wanted you to be able to climb. That takes a lot of work and isn’t even guaranteed to work depending on how their game handles collisions

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Didn’t WoW add a type of climbing with this last expansion? I only saw it mentioned once or twice but what it sounded like was a hook and line then climb the line.

Maybe something like that. You have a hook and line. You toss the hook and if it catches you can climb the line to that spot.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Didn’t WoW add a type of climbing with this last expansion? I only saw it mentioned once or twice but what it sounded like was a hook and line then climb the line.

Maybe something like that. You have a hook and line. You toss the hook and if it catches you can climb the line to that spot.

I think it was a specific class spec that got a hookshot. I hear rumors that it’s hilarious.
There might also be a toy item on a much longer cooldown.

Granted, I’d totally be down for some kind of special action that would let us climb, or just snare ledges that we almost but don’t quite catch.

And Charr get it for free, because claws. And payback for shoddy collision physics on jumping puzzles.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I think climbing would be great to help with certain Vistas, etc. but I doubt that Anet put interactable geometry on the sides of most things that should be climb-able.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol