New Password rules = far to extreme

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoletan.3672

Zoletan.3672

“Unavailable password. You or someone else has used it before..”

Are you kidding me? This isnt a kitten DoD or Government login your protecting, its a fraking game. Im not going to sit here and try to create a unique password that Nobody else in the game is using..

Not that its any big loss, i found it hard to remain interested in it to begin with, but this pretty much as cut me off from it all together. I’m not a freaking idiot and dont need these stupid over barring security measures just because some people are too idiotic to maintain their own account security. Now you want to force me to break even my own password security measures in hopes that nobody else has the same password, or has ever used it?

No thanks.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

1. Get a thesaurus
2. Look up 4-5 random obscure words
3. String them together into your new password
4. ????
5. Profit!

If you’re seriously running into trouble, maybe you should try using passwords that are a bit more complex than “passw4rd.”

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

TBH if you are trying to use the same password someone else has used before I would say that your security measures are not so great…..

Try the same password but simply just throw some numbers onto the end and it should be problem solved.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Zoletan.3672

passw4rd.. lol yea.. like im that stupid.

passw4rd.. lol yea.. like im that stupid.I need a password i can remember. Mine are fairly random, but also have something familiar to me so i can memorize them.

passw4rd.. lol yea.. like im that stupid.I need a password i can remember. Mine are fairly random, but also have something familiar to me so i can memorize them.The game isnt good enough to go though the hassle to change it. Its more idiotic than forcing unique names throughout the entire game. Yea i could use a generator, but the it would just spit out some random kitten that i could never remember, which would force me to write it down, which kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Zoletan.3672

nice.. the post kittened up..

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@ Zoletan.3672
You could wright it on paper unless you live some where that you cant trust any one then… well GW2 pw is the least of your problems.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

passw4rd.. lol yea.. like im that stupid.

passw4rd.. lol yea.. like im that stupid.I need a password i can remember. Mine are fairly random, but also have something familiar to me so i can memorize them.

passw4rd.. lol yea.. like im that stupid.I need a password i can remember. Mine are fairly random, but also have something familiar to me so i can memorize them.The game isnt good enough to go though the hassle to change it. Its more idiotic than forcing unique names throughout the entire game. Yea i could use a generator, but the it would just spit out some random kitten that i could never remember, which would force me to write it down, which kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

I write down my passwords all the time. Of course, I also know how to keep them in a safe location away from prying eyes.

Ask yourself this: “If I write down a password, who besides myself will ever see it?” I’ve written down passwords years ago, and never changed them. They have never been compromised.

Turn auto login off, and type your password manually. You should have it memorized within a day or so.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

These password rules aren’t new. They implemented this some time ago. This is to keep your account safe from hackers. Appreciate it for what it is and come up with a new password.

Posted by: chocomamma.1539

chocomamma.1539

You do know you can have it remember you password at login and since it is..just a game..you can write it down and put it in the case to the game. Not like someone is going to break in and say “Ooh a password to GW2, SCORE!!!” They still need your email to use it any way.

“Insert enemy name here” eat lead pew pew pew :p

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Certain password were blacklisted because they were used in attempts to hack accounts.

To create a password, simply press random buttons: anJLA8($nam!Lk2. Set your password to remember then save that password in a text file in case you need it again. Set the file to be encrypted and remove/deny all permissions on the file making it unreadable and undeletable to the average person.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Give it 2 minutes of thought. I’m sure you can come up with something that you can remember which no one has used before.

You’ll be fine.

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

Whenever I changed my password, it worked on my very first try… it’s really not that hard to come up with something.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Yeah, choose a band you like for example and choose your fave song name of theirs. If you need to change password again choose another band and again choose their fave song of yours for a password name. I’m sure EVERYONE can think of many examples like this where passwords can be easy to remember by basing them on something such as this.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Obligatory xkcd comic.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Are you kidding me? This isnt a kitten DoD or Government login your protecting, its a fraking game. Im not going to sit here and try to create a unique password that Nobody else in the game is using..

Not that its any big loss, i found it hard to remain interested in it to begin with, but this pretty much as cut me off from it all together. I’m not a freaking idiot and dont need these stupid over barring security measures just because some people are too idiotic to maintain their own account security. Now you want to force me to break even my own password security measures in hopes that nobody else has the same password, or has ever used it?

No thanks.

That’s what they all say, then they get hacked themselves and first thing they point to is Anet’s security being breached. It is for everyones own good.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

You could always use this site. Mine is good for 157 billion years.

http://howsecureismypassword.net/

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

^dont actually type your password in ofc, just something similar. And those sites are only good at calculating brute force when thats not the primary method of attack

For example type the following password: “passwordpassword” would be cracked by a computer in seconds, yet the site says 345 thousand years.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

WOOT!!, 23 TRILLION YEARS!!

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Yeah, choose a band you like for example and choose your fave song name of theirs. If you need to change password again choose another band and again choose their fave song of yours for a password name. I’m sure EVERYONE can think of many examples like this where passwords can be easy to remember by basing them on something such as this.

Combining these two, plus the XKCD principle, I ended up with sextillion years. That is, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. That’s about 220,264,317,180 times the age of Earth.

On the other hand, using line of sight naming got me 579 septillion years, or 579,000 times the above number.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

No thanks.

That’s what they all say, then they get hacked themselves and first thing they point to is Anet’s security being breached. It is for everyones own good.

^^ oh, so true.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: Chaos.7231

Chaos.7231

Let’s be honest, you’ll play the game so stop pretending otherwise.

Hardcore Casual [8 Level 80s – No Legendary]
80 R | 80 W | 80 G | 80 E | 80 M | 80 E | 80 N | 80 T
- Tarnished Coast Server

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Things that forces me to not use my passwords itself and invent new ones… KILLS ME.

I always need to use “forgot password” thing, I can’t remember duzens of duzens of passwords for everything —’

I would be much easier block the acess to Our PC than this password rules madness.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Lanrin.6785

Lanrin.6785

Get an imagination. Horrible old Anet trying to make our accounts secure.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Get an imagination. Horrible old Anet trying to make our accounts secure.

How dare they. Get the torches and pitchforks!

Posted by: Syphen.1980

Syphen.1980

They did this specifically to block any passwords that were known to have been hacked at any time in the past. This is why they instituted a manditory password change after the blacklist was created.

This ensures that your password is unique and has never been on a list of known hacked passwords. I had to change mine as well even though I garuntee it is unique. Just deal with it and realize your account is safer because of it.

If you are getting a message that you or someone else has used that password before then your password sucks. Try using something more original than
L337P455\/\/0RD

Or heck that is probably better than what you are trying even.

Here is a hint to save your passwords. Get a password manager such as Roboform to manage them. Roboform syncs across every device and your password list is available in every browser and on your mobile devices.

I probably have kitten near over 100 different loggin and passwords saved in mine. I would never be able to remember all my logins and passwords without it.

http://www.roboform.com/ <—— awesome

(edited by Syphen.1980)

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

GW2 does not have extreme pw rules.

Not being allowed to use an existing password or a past passwords is the minimal basics of industry standards.

It’s not even remotely close to government password standards.

Posted by: Lanrin.6785

Lanrin.6785

Lol!! Sorry, I have just thought about this again and OP says he is not going to play the game as he can’t think up an original password.

That is surely a joke.

(edited by Lanrin.6785)

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

So what the Zoletan is saying:

“I want to risk my account being stolen because my password was found in a list of passwords on the web. I wanna! I wanna! Waaaah. I dont want my account to be secure”. Well, perhaps not thats what he is saying, but its what it sounds like.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

(edited by Blackwolfe.5649)

Posted by: Ultra Hades.4691

Ultra Hades.4691

The very fact that the password measures tell you that someone is using a particular password is a security issue.

[WL] Kin Bear

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

No thanks.

Your name + the last 4 of your phone number/address/social/

Cap the first letter of your name and add an astrisk at the end of the 4 digit number you used.

Bam secure easy to remember password.

example:
Jack1111*

Is it really that hard?

Posted by: Liet Talen.7284

Liet Talen.7284

Anet password requirements are far from extreme and no where near DoD requirements. If a simple password requirement is going to keep from playing a game, then I hope you find something more to your liking with less security.

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

You start to appreciate how far they’ve taken security once you’ve been hacked in other mmo’s, like me.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

If you have trouble picking a password and getting the message they have been used by others, then your password isnt creative enough or safe enough.

1. Think of something personal to you, doesnt have to be family members or stuff like that, but something only you would know or relate to.
2. Toss in some number or other things if you can.
3. Pick up a pen.
4. Pick up a paper.
5. Apply pen to paper.
6. Write down your password.
7. Profit.

I know its an age of technology and pen+paper seems archaic, but its still a fool proof way to remember passwords, unless you happen to be visited by an MMO password hunting burglar.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Obligatory xkcd comic.

Even without loading it I know which one is it… I came to post the same thing..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I tried to use a password that I’ve never used before, not on GW2, not anywhere, it had 20 characters and my e-mail is used ONLY for GW2. (9 quadrillion years to crack!)

“This password has been logged or used before”

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

I tried to use a password that I’ve never used before, not on GW2, not anywhere, it had 20 characters and my e-mail is used ONLY for GW2. (9 quadrillion years to crack!)

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Its possible that someone else had used the password before on some forum somewhere that got hacked or whatever, and that password ended up on one of the password lists that the hackers spread, which ANET probably picked up on, and in order for account thieves to not simply go through the list (assuming they knew your email adress and wanted to steal your account) until they found the correct password. They are doing you a favor Or something..

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/
Check the part about password blacklisting. Mike obrien explains it better than I do, lol

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

(edited by Blackwolfe.5649)

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Another thing you can do to create a good solid password is to think of a phrase that you can remember and then turn that phrase into a password containing letters and symbols. These are far harder to crack and are less likely to have been used before.

Example: “Jack and Jill went up the hill!”

Password translation: J&Jw^th!

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

I suggest using this

Excellent program.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

Another thing you can do to create a good solid password is to think of a phrase that you can remember and then turn that phrase into a password containing letters and symbols. These are far harder to crack and are less likely to have been used before.

Example: “Jack and Jill went up the hill!”

Password translation: J&Jw^th!

Ye i’m sure Jack went up when beeing on the hill with Jill…

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Its possible that someone else had used the password before on some forum somewhere that got hacked or whatever, and that password ended up on one of the password lists that the hackers spread, which ANET probably picked up on, and in order for account thieves to not simply go through the list (assuming they knew your email adress and wanted to steal your account)

Impossible since GW2 has it’s own entirely unique e-mail address I have used nowhere else online. One of my friends (Who I know and trust) had his account hacked early on in GW2 and he had very robust security precautions – obviously they blamed him for having weak security.

So I implemented extreme security measures (unique e-mail, unique password, extreme strength password); and twice now my account appears to have been compromised. So, either gmail is both compromised and has someone using that data to datamine for GW2, or arenanet’s security is compromised.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

are you suggesting that different accounts should be allowed to have same password?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Or you are focusing so hard on one aspect of security that you are leaving yourself wide open to other aspects.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Its possible that someone else had used the password before on some forum somewhere that got hacked or whatever, and that password ended up on one of the password lists that the hackers spread, which ANET probably picked up on, and in order for account thieves to not simply go through the list (assuming they knew your email adress and wanted to steal your account)

Impossible since GW2 has it’s own entirely unique e-mail address I have used nowhere else online. One of my friends (Who I know and trust) had his account hacked early on in GW2 and he had very robust security precautions – obviously they blamed him for having weak security.

So I implemented extreme security measures (unique e-mail, unique password, extreme strength password); and twice now my account appears to have been compromised. So, either gmail is both compromised and has someone using that data to datamine for GW2, or arenanet’s security is compromised.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Or your system is compromised…. didn’t think of that did you, much easier to blame the company rather than your own ignorance thats understandable.

I mean hello 2 times you have been hacked? its likely on your end…

Posted by: Syphen.1980

Syphen.1980

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Because the password itself not necissarily the email was compromised. If that password has ever been on a forum, mmmo, network anything that was ever compromized and distributed they disabled it.

The infamous PSN hack that exposed everones info, Curse has been hacked numerous times, banking sites, and much more. Basically if that password has ever ben compromised at at point in time ever on any network and was on a list of known passwords that have been distributed or tried against a gw2 account they locked it down.

So if you can use that password now you can rest assured that it has never been on a password distribution list that A-net could find.

Posted by: Grendel.7918

Grendel.7918

It could be worse. My college automatically forces me to change passwords every three months if it’s between ten and fifteen characters long, every six if it’s more, and then it won’t allow me to use any of my previous four. Ultimately that’s just useless because i’m not going to come up with a completely original password every three months for fear of forgetting it. Instead i just change the numbers around a bit which has absolutely no effect.

(edited by Grendel.7918)

Posted by: Jam.3258

Jam.3258

Giving your Guild Wars 2 password to other sites means your password is no longer secure. You’re welcome.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

That’s not extreme, that’s basic.

If your account is properly set up, the only way that someone can get into your account is by knowing both your game and email password so that they can verify themselves. Alternatively, they could know your IP and attempt to proxy to your local region to bypass the IP verification.

If you are using an authenticator, then that person must also steal your unique code, which is normally only available when you set it up. They could also steal or clone the device you used it on to retrieve it.

It doesn’t matter how strong your password is or how many times you change it if you have a virus. Depending on if you keep your computer up to date, it’s possible to get a virus from just browsing a website, even ones you think are safe, since they’re usually hooked into the ads. Recently, java and flash have had exploits allowing for these cases. Another common way to lose your password is by phishing, which is when you login to site that looks exactly like the official one, but it’s not.

Rift is an example where the company itself was compromised. Thousands of people were getting hacked a day. Everyone knew someone in-game that had been hacked. There were new “I got hacked” posts every day on the forums. You’ll know when their security fails.

Obligatory xkcd comic.

There’s a miscalculation in this comic. The password composed of 4 words will fail to a dictionary attack. Basically, it’s the equivalent of a 4 letter password.

Posted by: Grendel.7918

Grendel.7918

There’s a miscalculation in this comic. The password composed of 4 words will fail to a dictionary attack. Basically, it’s the equivalent of a 4 letter password.

except that unless they’ve read this comic chances are no program will assume your password is four random words because that’s not how the vast majority of people create theirs.

even so there’s a easy solution, simply pick one word out of however many you use that isn’t actually in a dictionary. for instance a very unique name or a gibberish word that only holds significance to you and your friends.

for instance “spongebob doesn’t know wumbo” will NEVER be guessed by any program because even if it does know “spongebob” it doesn’t know “wumbo”.

the ultimate idea he was trying to get across was that password doesnt have to be impossible to remember to be secure.

(edited by Grendel.7918)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I find it interesting that Anet feels it’s ok to tell people that one of their users is already using a given password.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

OP, if you are still having trouble with a password why not go this route:

mypasswordisweak:(
?

You still fulfill all your criteria of an easy to remember password and, chances are, it isn’t on the commonly-used-passwords list.

Any variation of that will work just fine.