New Player Experience - September Pack 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashendale.2165

Ashendale.2165

I scrolled through 5 pages of forums looking for anything regarding this and did not find any that would suit my needs, so I made a new post. I couldn’t find anything through the search function of the forums (maybe I’m not using it right; i’m not sure).

I just made a charr thief to level up a new character. It is a lot of fun, even though I always squinted at thieves. I have found the error of my ways. It has been quite sometime since I made a new character, but I still remember the old interface of the game.

I was overwhelmed as a new player with so much information that my HUD showed. I did not understand half of it. Did not use half of it, until much later on.

But I am not a new player.

The new player system is very helpful for newbies. But it severely hinders my gameplay: I cannot equip weapons as I please until the game thinks I’m ready. I cannot “learn” skills until the game thinks I have soaked all the information I can out of the ones I have. I cannot see vistas or skill points until the game thinks I am ready to perceive more icons on my mini-map.

I appreciate the care and concern, but I can pretty much fend for myself, if you’d at least let me grind to my weapon skills. I feel that an option during character creation mode to play as a new player should be asked, as I think changing during the playthrough would be a coding nightmare.

The revamp on reward was a pretty neat thing, but I actually prefer to see my stats slowly rising instead of getting bursts of them. Blocking my access to weapons switches feels so restrictive that it hurts. I don’t need to be limited or treated as a new player.

TL;DR: let us chose to play with the new player experience rather than shoving it down our throats.

Eat, sleep, play video games

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Welcome to the club of several months ago, it’s not being changed and everyone is just going to have to adapt.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Once you unlock some of that stuff on a new character, it shouldn’t kick in again. Like not being able to do skill points or see vistas should only be on the first new character you create, not later new characters.

Also the speed of leveling to 15 has been greatly increased. We’ve always had skills gated behind levels to some degree. You get them now at about the same time you used to.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Welcome to the club of several months ago, it’s not being changed and everyone is just going to have to adapt.

No we don’t have to adapt. I’m simply not going to make another new character until this and the traits system are fixed.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No we don’t have to adapt. I’m simply not going to make another new character until this and the traits system are fixed.

Well that’s mostly how I adapted. lol

Ashendale.2165

I understand I’m a bit late for the party, but I have 3 slots of alts to level at the moment. I figured that if people don’t complain, it feels as if they’re doing a good job where they are not.

I do not need to be “handled” this way. It is degrading and, honestly, makes me feel as if I’m not smart enough to do something. For lack of a better description, this is a dumbed-down version of the game which is not fun (but this is the opinion of an older player).

As I said on the main post a simple “would you like to be pampered? – y/n” would be nice.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

I am not a new player. I already have level 80 characters on my account. I do not need you to insult my intelligence as a human being, to question my sentience as a life form.

If the NPE wasn’t hard-coded into the game with the skills and knowledge of a pre-highschooler, then adding a condition that checks for high level characters on the account cannot possibly be more than a 5 minute job.

This can be resolved at any time. However, it was made clear that the people in charge do not give two blue flying pony feathers about the situation.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I scrolled through 5 pages of forums looking for anything regarding this and did not find any that would suit my needs, so I made a new post. I couldn’t find anything through the search function of the forums (maybe I’m not using it right; i’m not sure).

The search feature on these forums is pretty much worse than useless. Don’t bother using it.

Also, try looking for a thread about the NPE (New Player Experience). That’s how most of us have taken to referring to it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Maybe putting in some kind code that checks for high levels on the account would have been too “tedious” for the dev.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

there should be no way to skip through a leveling up experience, that’s plain cheating.. sorry, that’s just a fact.. as for a user interface, like a pop-up that tells you “hey, we don’t use wasd in this game” sure, if you’ve seen it 5 times already you don’t need to see it again..

with that said, i don’t feel gw2 is confusing in the least compared to some of the other games available in its classification.. when i first leveled it was a very good pace and whoever organized that should get a cookie.. now after npe i ended up killing a great ice wurm and heading into my personal story with a singular dagger skill.. it was beyond stupid

many mmo’s lose player retention on novice characters because those games Are confusing and depending on the age of the mmo very complex.. this wasn’t the case with gw2, in fact probably just the opposite.. gw2 being imbalanced and simple allowed people to skip meaningful content, power level, exploit.. whatever you want to call it, and people said forget this game

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Ashendale.2165

The search feature on these forums is pretty much worse than useless. Don’t bother using it.

Also, try looking for a thread about the NPE (New Player Experience). That’s how most of us have taken to referring to it.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll reply to whatever I see interesting on this post as well as give a read on that one (if I can find it…). Is the topic NPE as you said? I think I might try finding it with Google. Or could it be this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-Coming-to-the-NPE/first?

This can be resolved at any time. However, it was made clear that the people in charge do not give two blue flying pony feathers about the situation.

True, and I chuckled at that.

Update: I’m not sure if this https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-Coming-to-the-NPE/first was what you were referring to, but it has some feedback I can relate to.

(edited by Ashendale.2165)