New "Repeatable HP" icon is not good

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Simply slapping a tiny infinity symbol on those HPs and changing the color slightly is not enough, guys. I’m map-completing HoT on an alt currently and those HPs I completed yesterday look way too similar to those I’m yet to do. Make them blue or purple or whatever, but don’t just leave them like this.

EDIT: Here’s what I’m talking about. They revert to the “completed” state (but still with an infinity symbol) once you get the daily chest. But unless you’re doing the entire map in one day, have fun looking for HPs you still need to get.

Attachments:

(edited by Ariurotl.3718)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There’s repeatable Hero points now?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ariurotl.3718

There’s repeatable Hero points now?

They’ve always been repeatable in the sense that you get a daily chest. Now ANet decided to point that fact out on the world map. I guess their thinking is that it’ll make people more eager to join in if they’d already done the HP. That in itself is a good idea, I suppose. But the icon needs to be changed further.

(edited by Ariurotl.3718)

Just a flesh wound.3589

The challenge ones then with champs, not the commune Hero points?

Yah, if you can’t easily tell which ones you’ve done already that would be very annoying.

ANet may give it to you.

Ariurotl.3718

The challenge ones then with champs, not the commune Hero points?

Yah, if you can’t easily tell which ones you’ve done already that would be very annoying.

Yep. You can actually jump into any HoT map right now and see how these icons look after the patch.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, you’re right. I logged on to check and I literally could not tell by looking or mousing over the icon which repeatable ones I’ve already done.

Edit: mousing over map completion % on the UI made the ones not done flare. So I guess try that.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Well, you’re right. I logged on to check and I literally could not tell by looking or mousing over the icon which repeatable ones I’ve already done.

Edit: mousing over map completion % on the UI made the ones not done flare. So I guess try that.

The icon for an HP you haven’t done has a small “+” on it. The icon for one you’ve completed but is repeatable has a small infinity symbol on it. You can tell just by looking at the icon.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve always had trouble telling the difference between completed and uncompleted Hero Points (skill points were easy, but hero points look too similar to me). This is going to make it harder.

Sure you can look for the symbol, but if you’re scanning across the map looking for things you need for map completion it’s even harder to tell if you need that hero point than it used to be.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

This is what I was going to suggest. With the map zoomed out so you can see pretty much the whole zone, mouse over the Hero Point icon in the Map Completion area and the ones you have not done will flash.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Just a flesh wound.3589

The icon for an HP you haven’t done has a small “+” on it. The icon for one you’ve completed but is repeatable has a small infinity symbol on it. You can tell just by looking at the icon.

I saw the tiny plus sign on some but had no idea what it meant. It could have meant that that’s the ones I still need to do. That’s a bad design imo. Why not an obvious color change instead of a tiny plus sign that can be hard to see.

The flash upon UI mouse over tells which one is still needed, but not everyone knows that trick or may have forgotten it if the last map completion was some time back.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I think they could leave the color the same, but keep the repeatable twisty, it would achieve what they wanted, and still make it easy for people still doing map completion.

One of them caught my eye on a character that had done completion on the map, and it confused me for a half second.

Ariurotl.3718

I saw the tiny plus sign on some but had no idea what it meant. It could have meant that that’s the ones I still need to do. That’s a bad design imo. Why not an obvious color change instead of a tiny plus sign that can be hard to see.

The flash upon UI mouse over tells which one is still needed, but not everyone knows that trick or may have forgotten it if the last map completion was some time back.

Agreed, all they need to do is change the color of the repeatable ones. A simple palette swap will solve this.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I would hate to be a new player in this game, even as a 5 year Vet this stuff gets extremely confusing.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

The icon has a physical variation to it. If you open your map and zoom in you can easily see the difference. There is nothing wrong with the icon.

You didn’t know what the plus sign meant and how it differed from the infinity sign. Fair enough. That means you probably were not aware some HPs were repeatable when you saw the 2 icons. If you were aware then I would say the infinity sign is an easy indicator that it’s the repeatable one.

So, if you were unaware some HPs were now repeatable, how exactly would a different color icon have made that any more apparent than the infinity symbol? It’s just an altered version of an icon that was already there. Whether an altered symbol or different color, it indicates something changed for that HP.

The icons are fine.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The icon has a physical variation to it. If you open your map and zoom in you can easily see the difference. There is nothing wrong with the icon.

You didn’t know what the plus sign meant and how it differed from the infinity sign. Fair enough. That means you probably were not aware some HPs were repeatable when you saw the 2 icons. If you were aware then I would say the infinity sign is an easy indicator that it’s the repeatable one.

So, if you were unaware some HPs were now repeatable, how exactly would a different color icon have made that any more apparent than the infinity symbol? It’s just an altered version of an icon that was already there. Whether an altered symbol or different color, it indicates something changed for that HP.

The icons are fine.

No, the icons are not fine. They’re tiny and I had to look closely at them in order to see them and to tell them apart. I had to be told they were there to know to look in the first place.

The reason why a color change is obvious is because you’ll get to a hero point you haven’t done before that’s one color, you do the hero point and then it’s another color. And then you can see two different colored Hero points on the map and you know that you made the change. That’s intuitive to know that if you made the colors change then any others of the same color are of that type.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think the icons are fine and never have. The ones you need for map completion are harder to find than the others. Instead, I think the ones you’ve never done should stand out the most, non-repeatable should be least noticeable.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t have any character with the right states to test but in theory hovering over the the legend with the map open should be able to tell you which you are missing for map completion regardless of what it is showing for daily completion.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t have any character with the right states to test but in theory hovering over the the legend with the map open should be able to tell you which you are missing for map completion regardless of what it is showing for daily completion.

Of course that’s true. My point is that it’s hard to see the icons on the map to hover over them. The already-done ones stand out better than the not-done ones; I’d prefer it to be the other way around.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

That was already mentioned twice. The issue is that not everyone knows abut this trick.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Of course that’s true. My point is that it’s hard to see the icons on the map to hover over them. The already-done ones stand out better than the not-done ones; I’d prefer it to be the other way around.

You hover over the icon in the top left corner not the individual ones on the map.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You hover over the icon in the top left corner not the individual ones on the map.

On the layered maps, this doesn’t always help. Maybe it’s not an issue for you. It is for me, which is why I’ve offered my opinion that I would prefer the never-done icons to stand out more.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This shouldn’t be such a complicated discussion. Distinguishing states of things by color is an obvious and clear way to do this… and anet is already doing this with mastery points! Grey before you get them, red or green after. Why can’t they be more consistent with their systems?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I agree. The repeatable hero challenges look exactly like the ones you’ve never done before. There’s no way at all to tell which repeatable ones you’ve finished and ones you have yet to do for your map completion. Very annoying.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

lol i didnt even know they did that when i was on my alt account in HoT. I knew i did the hp the day b4, but still showed i didnt do it, so i thought it was glitch. Now i know it’s cuz they made them “repeatable”

Posted by: Sarpan.9074

Sarpan.9074

So, this is the same issue we’ve had for a long time with the repeatable hearts, eh?

Ariurotl.3718

Two days on, I’m still not used to this. Two years of conditioning re: the colors of completed and non-completed HPs, and now I have to look for a tiny symbol in the corner. No, this is not a good decision. Just change the bloody color.