New Weapons

New Weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Greataxe, Pike, Tome, Shotgun, Whip, Boomerang.

That is all.

New Weapons

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Those are terrible. What we need are the following:

Cestus for Necro/Thief/Warrior
Whip for Mesmer/Ranger/Rev
Chakram for Ele/Engi/Guard

New Weapons

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

…And each one of them would need at minimum 40 skins and better if there were 90-100 because of all the sets that need to be supported.

This ship has sailed long ago.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

New Weapons

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

They might come as skins to current weapons but I can’t see them coming in as new weapons as such. Also you forgot crossbow. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

I like how 2 of your 3 suggestions were the same as mine. And there were 4 I suggested that you didn’t. But somehow, mine are terrible.

Trolololol.

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

…And each one of them would need at minimum 40 skins and better if there were 90-100 because of all the sets that need to be supported.

No it hasn’t. Anet needs to significantly ramp up their development efforts, which includes new skills and skins, if they want to attract and retain players.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

New Weapons

Nike.2631

Lets see… not a single new weapon type in 3.5 years and the Elite Specializations system is built around letting them use and even reuse existing weapons to bring new skills to the 9 professions (i.e. a future Mesmer Elite spec could offer the shield again just with new skills and a different theme than the Chronomancer).

Tomes have been discussed by Devs… as KITS, another way they can bring new weapons into play without having to deal with the ever growing skins issue.

They could introduce new weapons, but they’ve got a lot of other avenues they can pursue while still growing the game’s options.

Sorry.

New Weapons

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They’d also need to add in more skins for future BL collections whilst leaving many gaps in old BL collections (since collections are locked in) and potentially add more Legendaries into an already paused system due to workload. And then complicating a balance system which they are massiveyl struggling with already

I would be extremely surprised if we ever see new weapons for GW2 now. I don’t think they will find it is worth the development time for new weapons for very little gain. I really can’t see adding more weapons onto a base of 19 would help retain/attract more ppl.

As Nike alluded, Elites allow them to be more creative with existing options (eg staff now becoming melee) and spread weapons/new skills to different classes.

New Weapons

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

I like how 2 of your 3 suggestions were the same as mine. And there were 4 I suggested that you didn’t. But somehow, mine are terrible.

Trolololol.

Well yes, the suggestions were awful until I suggested them. Besides, you only suggested whip.

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

Trolololol.

Well yes, the suggestions were awful until I suggested them. Besides, you only suggested whip.

Boomerang = Chakram. The same weapon type would obviously have a variety of skins. Most of them would be based on chakrams.

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

Lets see… not a single new weapon type in 3.5 years and the Elite Specializations system is built around letting them use and even reuse existing weapons to bring new skills to the 9 professions (i.e. a future Mesmer Elite spec could offer the shield again just with new skills and a different theme than the Chronomancer).

Tomes have been discussed by Devs… as KITS, another way they can bring new weapons into play without having to deal with the ever growing skins issue.

They could introduce new weapons, but they’ve got a lot of other avenues they can pursue while still growing the game’s options.

Sorry.

Exactly – they are already adding weapon skills with elite specs, so adding new weapons altogether makes sense. It’s useless and counterproductive to obsess about balance to the point that it slows expansion of the game to a crawl, so that’s a moot point. There’s nothing whatsoever wrong with the idea of adding new weapons to the game as they whittle away weapon uniqueness by spreading existing weapons to new classes, and and an expansion is the perfect place to do it. The next expansion better be much bigger than HoT anyway if they want to retain success.

So, boohoo, they have to make some skins like every MMO does all the time. All they need to do is adjust their strategy into making more weapon-unique skins and fewer cross-weapon themed skins. That would probably me more appealing to players anyway.

New Weapons

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

You know, looking at their Gem-Store Black Lion rate, that might not really be true.

I mean, how many do they put out every two weeks?

New Weapons

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Extendable weapons maybe?

New Weapons

Nike.2631

You know, looking at their Gem-Store Black Lion rate, that might not really be true.

Heh. Any new weapon would also require a new Legendary and they’ve managed 4 of those in three-and-a-half years…

On a more serious note the skins they would have to do are scattered across the entire range of styles already in game – potentially a lot more challenging than taking 2-3 core elements and smearing them like peanut-butter over 17 shapes done as a batch job. Plus new weapons would also likely require new animations and then the minor trifling detail of new skills for N many professions (or, you know, 4 times as many skills if you give it to Elementalists…). Then the balancing act where you’re torn between getting the maximum return on your art effort vs. having some classes already overloaded with weapon choices. Then you have to go back and re-rig every loot drop table in the entire game to include the new weapons, re-work all the weapon vendors, all the dungeon reward vendors, the PvP weapon loot boxes, decide if any NPCs need to be reconfigured to use them, and probably ten other things I can’t think of right off the top of my head…

Or they could just not.

New Weapons

Jaken.6801

Heh. Any new weapon would also require a new Legendary and they’ve managed 4 of those in three-and-a-half years…

On a more serious note the skins they would have to do are scattered across the entire range of styles already in game – potentially a lot more challenging than taking 2-3 core elements and smearing them like peanut-butter over 17 shapes done as a batch job. Plus new weapons would also likely require new animations and then the minor trifling detail of new skills for N many professions (or, you know, 4 times as many skills if you give it to Elementalists…). Then the balancing act where you’re torn between getting the maximum return on your art effort vs. having some classes already overloaded with weapon choices. Then you have to go back and re-rig every loot drop table in the entire game to include the new weapons, re-work all the weapon vendors, all the dungeon reward vendors, the PvP weapon loot boxes, decide if any NPCs need to be reconfigured to use them, and probably ten other things I can’t think of right off the top of my head…

Or they could just not.

Oh, of course I know that.
I was just mentioning the fact about skins.

Implementing new weapons etc. is a completly different matter.

Creating and implementing weapon skins, seems to be as easy as breathing for them.
I mean, it is not like we are talking armor skins here.
Outfits on the other hand…

But seriously, there won’t be any new weapons, till the redistributed the existing weapons to every class via specializations. This will take a while and has enough problems allready like you have mentioned.

Still, I would love to cleave with a two-handed axe, or get into a nice brawl with fist-weapons, to grapple, kick and punch people into oblivion.

New Weapons

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

Sorry.

Except they said themselves that they want to add in new weapons in the future with new expansions as the current weapontypes are nice but limited and can’t be switched around forever.

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

Sorry.

Except they said themselves that they want to add in new weapons in the future with new expansions as the current weapontypes are nice but limited and can’t be switched around forever.

Exactly, and this is not to mention that, frankly, introducing new weapon types would generate a disproportionate amount of buzz with existing and lapsed players relative to the amount of effort involved in adding them and would just give them even more opportunities with the gem store. If there’s that much concern over the work involved, they could make them elite spec only, meaning they are only available at level 80. Although, I don’t think that adding them to vendors and rewards is as much effort as Nike implies it is.

I think it’s rather obvious that they need to be encouraged, rather than dissuaded, and it’s frustrating that someone with as much clout with Anet as Nike (I won’t get into the merits of that) is a naysayer about it. I just flat-out think he’s wrong.

New Weapons

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I still want Spears for above ground usage. Melee for wars, ranged for guards and revs perhaps.

New Weapons

Nike.2631

I think it’s rather obvious that they need to be encouraged, rather than dissuaded, and it’s frustrating that someone with as much clout with Anet as Nike (I won’t get into the merits of that) is a naysayer about it. I just flat-out think he’s wrong.

I’m not a nay sayer – I’m pointing out the amount of work actually involved, which will absolutely not be news to the people who actually make these decisions. I’d also suggest that just throwing up a list of weapons is probably something they’ve done themselves a few times so if you want to be persuasive to a Dev to give you what you want you probably need to focus a little tighter and go a little deeper.

Maybe promote only 1-2 weapons along with which professions you’d add them to, and what kind of holes in their existing choices those weapons could flavorfully and thematically fill. Describe the new play styles your candidates might bring about when combined with the tools those professions already have. And be prepared to answer questions about why that couldn’t be done with an existing weapon. In other words refine you proposal a bit so it can excite a Dev reading it.

I think we can all agree that at some point the Balance Team has already had the exact conversation “You know, boomerangs would be cool…” and talked it through and finally dismissed it. You need to say more than “Boomerangs! Make it so!” You need to show them a rich vein of cool that they overlooked .

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

I’m not a nay sayer – I’m pointing out the amount of work actually involved, which will absolutely not be news to the people who actually make these decisions. I’d also suggest that just throwing up a list of weapons is probably something they’ve done themselves a few times so if you want to be persuasive to a Dev to give you what you want you probably need to focus a little tighter and go a little deeper.

Maybe promote only 1-2 weapons along with which professions you’d add them to, and what kind of holes in their existing choices those weapons could flavorfully and thematically fill. Describe the new play styles your candidates might bring about when combined with the tools those professions already have. And be prepared to answer questions about why that couldn’t be done with an existing weapon. In other words refine you proposal a bit so it can excite a Dev reading it.

I think we can all agree that at some point the Balance Team has already had the exact conversation “You know, boomerangs would be cool…” and talked it through and finally dismissed it. You need to say more than “Boomerangs! Make it so!” You need to show them a rich vein of cool that they overlooked .

Oh, I dunno. I think they’re going to make whatever skills they think are appropriate. I was merely offering a few thematic suggestions.

Actually, one of the things I’d love to see first would be empty offhand viability. Every class should have “light” skills for #4 and #5. They either need to add a glove weapon or just have the stats on the primary weapon automatically increase with an second weapon isn’t equipped.

After that, I think making Spears usable on land is a no-brainer. The can use the same models and weapons that are used for underwater combat and just change the skills a bit. Give it to Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, and maybe Revenant.

Then, 2-3 weapons to round out the above selection would be great. I suggested Tomes as a non-weapon alternative for casters like Elementalists, Guardians, and Necros. But it could just as easily be more of a “two handed focus” type instrument that incorporates more than just tomes. The greataxe and the chakram are probably the best two options to round out the above selections first. Options like the Whip and Crossbow are a bit more specialized and, while nice, would be lower priority. I kind of like the idea of a shotgun more than the idea of a crossbow anyway.

Lastly, I would say it doesn’t matter that much if the weapon fills a very specific and unique niche, so don’t get too hung up on thinking that way. It’s the variety that’s important.

New Weapons

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

Why put new weapons in the game when all the classes can’t even use all the current ones yet?

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

New Weapons

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

We need new weapons, one example is the 1h Mesmer ranged option being always lack luster compared to other classes. Scepter does not cut it.

While I do like what the 19th patch brought (should have been like this since the start of HoT!!!), if they do not add new weapons to make things more interesting and to fix a few selection holes that some classes have, they will have to come up with something interesting to compensate. It would be quicker and easier for them to drop in a few new weapons and skills then to come up with something entirely new (like cross class Kits and such), and the balancing around such.

If they do not want to create a new array of weapon choices, then they should just port a couple more weapon choices to other classes again, like they did with Specs. But make it part of the baseline class.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

New Weapons

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

I’ve been waiting for a double barrel shotgun skin for a lonnnnnnnng time. When raids first released, I saw Sabetha’s Boomstick and got super excited, but… It was only another flamethrower skin — for rifle.

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

Why put new weapons in the game when all the classes can’t even use all the current ones yet?

I’m not sure why all classes being able to use all weapons would be desirable in the slightest. Some weapons are thematically appropriate for a class and some aren’t.

New weapon types would be better to alleviate staleness in the game.

New Weapons

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Being a realist =/= naysayer.

That being said, I’ll be a naysayer: getting new weapons isn’t going to happen.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

Being a realist =/= naysayer.

That being said, I’ll be a naysayer: getting new weapons isn’t going to happen.

Mighty presumptuous of you. If there’s demand, it’ll happen. It’s that simple.

New Weapons

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

The only weapon that should be available to every class is unarmed combat!

Ever since I first punched a dragon to death in Skyrim, I wanted to punch dragons to death in other games.

Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and all the others won’t be expecting that. Advantage: me.

~EW

New Weapons

Ven Zehn.6573

GW1: Spears, Daggers, Scythes, all new weapons. So not like it can’t happen.

Honestly in future installments of GW2, it’ll be hard to create more unique weapon skills for every class without looking into new weapons.

Brass Knuckles for Wars! Wanted this before too, basically barehanded combat lol. Wouldn’t even need new skins, just use the Focus, and allow wars to dual-wield em lol.

New Weapons

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Brass Knuckles for Wars! Wanted this before too, basically barehanded combat lol. Wouldn’t even need new skins, just use the Focus, and allow wars to dual-wield em lol.

Turn the Warrior into a Monk with a new Elite :-)
Hand to Hand and Staff proficiency.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

New Weapons

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

They might come as skins to current weapons but I can’t see them coming in as new weapons as such. Also you forgot crossbow. :P

I think crossbows could easily work as just shortbow skins using rifle animations.

Best of both worlds. Don’t need to design as many new skins, and you have a reason to add shortbows to more classes. Kinda like how they made a bunch of melee staff options.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

New Weapons

Nike.2631

Mighty presumptuous of you. If there’s demand, it’ll happen. It’s that simple.

Because there’s nothing presumptuous about thinking demand has suddenly changed this week compared to the 180 weeks that preceded it . If mere demand was gonna do it, it would have already done it. Especially since it was easier to introduce new weapons in the past than it is now.

“Unarmed” is conceptually nice because it gets around the need for weapons skins, but it doubles down on other problems, namely needing new animations for just about everything. You also have to bridge the disconnect that you have something in that slot or you’re down a heap of stat points, but that something is invisible when you look at your character. Again it ends up being a theme that might be more easily handled as kits for an Elite profession – an in-place mechanic that lets them hide your “real weapons” while they still contribute to your total stats. If we get a full Thief → “Monk” or some sort of Elementalist → “Bender” able to swap to one of several bare-handed styles via kits in the next cycle of Elite Specs I will be not at all surprised. There’s demand for it and the tools already exist.

New Weapons

Jaken.6801

I kinda see a trend here, about topics that seem justifyable, because they are for the greater good , but are completly unrealstic from a economic point of view.

Why invest in stuff that is high cost in creating and creativity, thus taking workforce from other more pressing matter?

I don’t get it?

Isn’t the state of the game proof enough that they need to get the things implemented sorted out first, before they go after the dozens of fan requests ?

It doesn’t matter how obvious these things might be or how much money or subjective interest they would create.

If it doesn’t fit in the shedule, costs, or anything that is actually needed in the development, then it just won’t happen, no matter how much you pressure.

New Weapons

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I kinda see a trend here, about topics that seem justifyable, because they are for the greater good , but are completly unrealstic from a economic point of view.

Why invest in stuff that is high cost in creating and creativity, thus taking workforce from other more pressing matter?

I don’t get it?

Isn’t the state of the game proof enough that they need to get the things implemented sorted out first, before they go after the dozens of fan requests ?

It doesn’t matter how obvious these things might be or how much money or subjective interest they would create.

If it doesn’t fit in the shedule, costs, or anything that is actually needed in the development, then it just won’t happen, no matter how much you pressure.

what, just like they half baken the released the game from the start, just as they used planned content for the HoT release and still end up with bug o tropoplis, just like they add more and more useless features only a small ~5% might use.

yeah, great use of priorities.

New Weapons

Jaken.6801

I don’t get it?

what, just like they half baken the released the game from the start, just as they used planned content for the HoT release and still end up with bug o tropoplis, just like they add more and more useless features only a small ~5% might use.

yeah, great use of priorities.

Mhm… somehow you just strenghten my argument, instead of devalueing it.

The state of the game is lacking for some (See giant outcry topics everywhere) and I personaly see problems as well (For example lack of ingame skin rewards vs. gem-store pandering). More for some, less for others.

It is clear that they went over their head in several areas.
However they have shown that they are able and willing to fix things and that is what they are doing now (apearently, because time will tell)
Then on the other hand, they delivered some of the best content in games I had for a long time, but then again I am playing the game casually. I am in for the story and experience mostly and thus haven’t burned through most stuff like others.

Putting focus on riddiculus new things is just not the way to go.

It doesn’t matter how much people hate raids at the moment, it was something people were screaming about for a long time.
Now they are here and people still complain, because it is a “niche” thing. Which it isn’t, no matter how much you or others do not agree.

In fact, we don’t have any data on how successful any part of the game, so calling them out based on your subjective feelings about the game, doesn’t make you right and them wrong.

The game has problems, that is just a fact, but they aren’t as gigantic as people make them out to be.

(edited by Jaken.6801)

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t get it?

Because ideas that are popular will result in increased revenue for Arenanet. It’s not like they make content just to make content. New weapons would be one of the best things they could do to generate hype, along with new races and new dungeons.

New Weapons

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Who is to say new weapons would generate hype to say attract new players.
If I didn’t play GW2, if the game added whips and boomerangs and advertised that, would I suddenly want to play GW2? No.
However, I’m a long time player of GW2 and new weapons still hold little interest to me.

I’m not saying new weapons aren’t popular, but I don’t see them doing for this game what people believe. Same with new races. And any benefits either of those would bring, would likely be outweighed by the drain on resources to not only implement, but also to continue to support in terms of skins, story, dialogue, VO etc etc

New Weapons

Einlanzer.1627

If I didn’t play GW2, if the game added whips and boomerangs and advertised that, would I suddenly want to play GW2? No.
However, I’m a long time player of GW2 and new weapons still hold little interest to me.

I’m not saying new weapons aren’t popular, but I don’t see them doing for this game what people believe. Same with new races. And any benefits either of those would bring, would likely be outweighed by the drain on resources to not only implement, but also to continue to support in terms of skins, story, dialogue, VO etc etc

The goal would be bringing in lapsed players, not new ones. I stand by my assertion that new weapon types would be a very popular addition that would generate a lot of buzz for the work involved in adding them.

New Weapons

Jaken.6801

The goal would be bringing in lapsed players, not new ones. I stand by my assertion that new weapon types would be a very popular addition that would generate a lot of buzz for the work involved in adding them.

of course they would.
Then people would quickly get them, like the rest of the stuff, have some fun with it and then leave for the same reasons they left before.

No one argues that they would create some kind of buzz .
Disregarding the other side of the conversation just because there is maybe/possible/ if we shine on it the right way, buzz.

Many things would be nice to have, however then there is reality and it says: not so fast my friend, how about this and that?

New Weapons

Ven Zehn.6573

I don’t think any of us are expecting these new weaps to be added now, but if Anet does another expac, they’ll need to do something.

New Weapons

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

It’s been over 3 years and Anet hasn’t even bothered to expand on the core classes during the entirety of the core. They then decided to lock a single weapon addition behind and expansion and elite classes which doesn’t even make sense. If they add a new elite for a mesmer for instance then why can they still manipulate time with the shields chrono related skills. If a core mesmer equipts a shield why do they get the alacrity skills without even unlocking the traits?

Tying elite specials and weapons wasn’t a good plan and all.

Introducing new weapons combinations and as a result new skills is something they should have started doing two years into the game. However ESPORTS and esports doesn’t lend itself well to numerous skills and multiple builds or even flashy skills. Anet has proven their Esport aspirations triumph anything the core population wants. Skills and weapons should have been added ages ago and in my opinion it’s too late they would have retained a good chunk of the population if they cared more about providing a good game over a good esport title.

I’ve come to learn if you care about new skills and new builds and things like a new dungeon thrown your way every now and then. The basic things most MMO’s toss your way to keep the player base happy then GW2 isn’t the place for it.

It’s not about them adding it now or in the future but rather it’s to late for such things the game has been out for years and it’s obvious the devs have had other plans. Heck we got a new legendary short bow recently that cna only be used by two classes and even if they add new elites and a new expac it’s not like many classes will gain access to short bow let alone them adding a new weapon if they can’t even expand their existing weapons what hope is there for new ones. I’d like Mesmer with Quip, Dreamer, and Moot equipt to it but I know that’s never gonna happen just like I doubt new weapons will ever be introduced since Anet has shown no signs of even catering to that type of progressions.

I agree with you TC and I hope it happens and I think Scythe should be a contender since that weapon existed in GW1.

New Weapons

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Introducing spears to the surface world would be sufficient for me. All the skins are already in the game so it wouldn’t be any more work than designing the new skills.

Warrior: A melee weapon with a lot of bleeding and defensive skills. Used like a pike.
Ranger: A mix range weapon with melee and ranged attacks for skirmishing. Maybe some control effects.
Revenant: A mid-range condi weapon. Maybe summoning fields of Mist energy or Mist portals and throwing your spears through it to get different effects like chill or torment.
Necromancer: Melee bleed based build with a lot of control effects themed around impaling.

New Weapons

Jaken.6801

Introducing new weapons combinations and as a result new skills is something they should have started doing two years into the game. However ESPORTS and esports doesn’t lend itself well to numerous skills and multiple builds or even flashy skills. Anet has proven their Esport aspirations triumph anything the core population wants. Skills and weapons should have been added ages ago and in my opinion it’s too late they would have retained a good chunk of the population if they cared more about providing a good game over a good esport title.

I think you missed the reaon why they are hesistant to add new stuff, like skills or weapons.
They did the normal route, like you discribed, like other MMOs, with GW1 and had massive problems in terms of balancing.

The reason here is not especialy E-Sports, but that they have to cater to three gametypes, who all use the same skills, but in other form.

Right now they are even trying to have the skills work differently in the different gametypes (to a degree), however that screws with the consitency for the overall game.

It can get confusing.

With all the threads about class balance in every gametype, their reasoning for limiting their skill and weapon selection to the ones we have right now, is very reasonable, even if oldschool MMO player, who are used to 20+ skills in their skillbar, might complain.

In that case, GW2 is not the game for you.
It’s like buying a bike and asking for a third wheel, because you had a tricylce before and are comfortable with it.
Yes, it has a handle, pedals and similiar frame, but a bike has two wheels.