New Weapons! (Ideas)

New Weapons! (Ideas)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drazerg.8956

Drazerg.8956

For the future expansion, I thought they could have:
New weapons added as baseline

The new weapons would be divided for each profession by armors.

• Warrior(GreatAxe)
    2h Power (180 Range)- Inflicts vuln and grants might, F1 has a unique mechanic that cuts opponents toughness by half and grants you Quickness if successfully landed attack.
  • Guardian(GreatAxe)
    2h Hybrid Power/Condi (180 Range)- has no support and inflicts Burn, bleed and vuln. High damage.
  • Revenant(GreatAxe)
    2h Power/Support (300 Range) – Easy might access on yourself + Retaliation and Fury to you and allies. Does additional damage to minions, pets, clones, etc.
  • Ranger(CrossBow)
    2h Support (900 Range)- High attack speed, immobilize and weakness with an ability support shot that if successfully landed increases ally’s(or pet’s) next damage by 1.5x on target.
  • Thief(CrossBow)
    2h Condi (600 Range) – Auto attacks do low damage but applies 2bleed and vuln while stealth and does not unstealth you also access to daze and a channeled stealth.
  • Engineer(CrossBow)
    2h Condi/Support (900 Range) – Instead of using bolts, they use darts! Access to Poison, confusion, fear if shot at foe and Regeneration, Resistance and Vigor if shot at target ally.
  • Necromancer(SpellBook)
    2h Power/CC (900 Range) – has ground targets auto attacks, can summon 2 jagged horrors, causes a 1.5s stun that you cannot break stun out of and torments for the duration(has “Embrace of darkness animation” and a float CC.
  • Mesmer(SpellBook)
    2h Clones/Support (1200 Range) – (relatively low damage)ranged auto attack with 2 hit combo, 2nd hit grants a random boon to you and allies and a channeled ground target 3.5s cast time skill that spawns a random phantasm every 1 second after casting for 1.5s for a total of 3 clones.
  • Elementalist(SpellBook)
    2h Condi/support (1200 Range)
    - Fire – Access to burn and area might, fire aura and a skill that if your target is chilled, inflict torment.
    - Water – Access to chill, regeneration and resistance, frost aura, a skill that if your target is weakened, inflict torment.
    - Air – Access to blind and weaken, Shock Aura and a skill that if your target is bleeding, inflict torment.
    - Earth – Access to Cripple, Bleeding, group Protection, Magnetic Aura and a skill that if your target is Burned, inflict torment.

(Creative criticism appreciated!)

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Ooh i like the idea of crossbows.
Edit: it’s hard to envision a crossbow as a high attack speed weapon though…

Spellbook to me seems a bit too much like a focus… Is it supposed to be a, er, “two hand” “weapon”?

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: sercommander.6817

sercommander.6817

There are already book-themed focus skins

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: sercommander.6817

sercommander.6817

And book-themed guardian elite skill

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

The beautiful thing about spell casting classes and abilities is that you don’t need a direct relationship between the weapon type and the spell casted. Look at elementalist dagger for example, you don’t see them swing it, but summon spells according to weapon type. They could switch dagger spells with scepter spells and a new player would not know the difference, whereas a thief needs animations and abilities that compliment the weapon type, as an example.

Necros use a mix of swinging and spell casting, there is no limit to what you can give them in a mix of actual weapon use and spells associated with them.

TLDR Adding physical-based weapons is easy, but adding spell weapons is just as easy in the sense that you don’t need a direct conjunction of the weapon type with animations and/or function that go with it.

Some spell casting weapon ideas: Tomes, Scrolls, Wands, Armlets.

Not to mention the versatility of using physical based weapons as spell casting ones already, given that there are SO many options: Crossbows (both two handed and hand held), Greataxes (as mentioned), Fist Weapons, Halberds, Short Swords and so on.

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Make Rye Known.6273

Make Rye Known.6273

Ooh i like the idea of crossbows.
Edit: it’s hard to envision a crossbow as a high attack speed weapon though…

Actually High speed crossbows have been used in China for hundreds of years:3
They where used by the peasants to defend their homes and so the emperor could equip inexperienced soldiers with easy to use weapons.
The bow skill took years to master so it was cheaper and easier to just have a hundred men with small crossbows, instead of soldiers that would have to have been trained since childhood.

Link to youtube video of such a weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDeAxTxzorE

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I like the idea of crossbows.

I want to play ranged-ranged (yeah, I know that’s, currently, worse DPS – don’t get me started…), so that would give more options.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I think the game needs whips. Far too few mmorpgs make use of a whip as a main weapon.

Other than whips id like to see a pike two hand, one handed or two handed flail, and throwing weapons. Maybe don’t make throwing weapons item count, but the idea of shurikens, knives, axes as throwing weapons is appealing imo.

why not crossbows? or, since we already have two gun types, a shotgun? Shotgun might make for some good close range combat.

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think fist weapons with a monk release would be great, but that’ll take lots of rebalancing. Monk would have:

-Fists
-Hammer
-Pistols

The hammer skills would be similar to a warrior’s while the pistols would mostly be like a thief’s pistols skills except black powder would be replaced with a skill that causes confusion. The monk would also use initiative like a thief.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

yeah also on top of balancing issues, if they are to add weapons they better not make them something like available only for a new class, you know to shortcut the work on adding unique skills for several existing classes…

Basically no point to adding weapons if the current batch of classes wont be able to use them.

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I wanted magical discs (like in TERA), but folks are surprisingly against it. :P

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Drazerg.8956

Spellbook to me seems a bit too much like a focus… Is it supposed to be a, er, “two hand” “weapon”?

A 2handed weapon yes! You would not be physically holding the SpellBook in both hands, rather hold the book in the left hand, and cast/flip pages with the right hand. (Similar to how you cast spells with staff with your free hand)

There are already book-themed focus skins…

Skins are one thing, but the SpellBook could be more visually more stunning with pages magically flipping when casting, if that’s not convinsing enough for you, consider the Spellbook to be a GreatFocus similar to sword and GreatSword.

And book-themed guardian elite skill

Their’s also a Sword themed Guardian Elite… I don’t feel like this has any credibility. (Considering Guardians would not have access to the SpellBook weapon to begin with)

(edited by Drazerg.8956)

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: zaneber.6908

zaneber.6908

here’s my list of new weapons and specializations, some I just couldn’t think of anything great.

I could see the bladed fan as a new weapon for the elementalist: storm dancer
Warrior with a spiked fist weapon: pit fighter
Thief with whip: (thinking catwoman here lol)
Guardian with spear: (we have dragon hunter) Dragon Knight or Eldritch Knight
Mesmer with ? : ?
Necromancer with an actual scythe: Shade – able to summon only 1 minion out of 3 (melee, ranged, healerish)
Ranger with chakram: ?
Engineer with ?: ?
Revenant with great axe: ?
And for a new class we’ll go light armor, The Psion using telepathy and psychokinesis.

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

For my thief, I’d trade my shortbow for a crossbow anyday.

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think IF they add new weapons, those weapons need to be really original, interesting to use and different from what we already have.

I like the “SpellBook” idea of a two handed focus, although I maybe would change it for something more general, like a “Ritual Artifact” that could be a big book, a skull, a floating pyramid, an eldritch criature, a big jewel, etc. Anything that the caster have to keep in front of him/her and gesture over to use.

More than a proper whip, I would like to see a “chain weapon”, that could be skinned as a whip, a kusarigama, a lasso, a vine or even as a tentacle, and which have attacks that mostly lash, entangle and pull.

Another interesting option would be a throwing weapon, that we could skin as a disc, boomerang or “kpinga” throwing knife, wich allow us to make ranged angular attacks.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Momo strangers.5106

Momo strangers.5106

spellbook ( 2 hand ) u can cast ur freaking spells with cool animation like drawing spells symbols thats fun something like a dark magic

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Drazerg.8956

More than a proper whip, I would like to see a “chain weapon”, that could be skinned as a whip, a kusarigama, a lasso, a vine or even as a tentacle, and which have attacks that mostly lash, entangle and pull.

That sounds like a fantastic idea, we could get from Simon Belmont whips to ball and chain, however I feel like those would need different animations as one is light and the other well… Just a thought!

spellbook ( 2 hand ) u can cast ur freaking spells with cool animation like drawing spells symbols thats fun something like a dark magic

Exactly what I was thinking. :>

New Weapons! (Ideas)

Posted by: Kheo.2504

Kheo.2504

I’ve seen several suggestions for whips, but only because people want to create a dominatrix mesmer.

I think they have most niches covered though. Flails can’t do much more than a mace, a battleaxe is similar to hammers, lances aren’t much good without a mount, etc.

My personal vote goes to Polearms, but it seems they’ve got that style covered with the Revenant and Daredevil taking up staff.

Life doesn’t give me lemons anymore, not after what happened last time.