New Weapons: share your Top 5!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jandopo.2107

Jandopo.2107

Hello there!

We all know that new weapons will be implemented in the future. Which are the weapon types you’d like the most? And, more importantly, how can we avoid disparity between classes?

This should be my top 5 list:

• Halberd (two-handed): Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger.
  • Greataxe (two-handed): Warrior, Necromancer.
  • Sickle (one-handed): Necromancer, Thief, Mesmer. Yes, it’s one-handed, can you imagine how awesome would be a dual-wielding thief?
  • Flail (one-handed): Warrior, Engineer. Because engi totally needs melee weapons.
  • Crossbow (two-handed, ranged): Ranger, Thief, Engineer.

I tried my best to stop the warrior from owning the majority of weapons.
You think you have a better list? Share it with the community and the devs!

(edited by Jandopo.2107)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

hand to hand, though id rather it come with martial artist
spear
uhhh think you have all the weapons covered after that.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

They already said that before bringing new types of weapons, they will want to use already existing ones and simply add them to existing professions.

Personally I hope for Rifle for Ranger as for some normal damage ranged weapon with burst and OH sword for the Thief.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I take your Flail idea and raise you Nunchaku for Thieves.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Let’s see:

• Fist weapon
    • For all professions. Their skills will also appear in the currently empty slots when picking environmental weapons. The skill visuals would be slightly different between professions, but they will be mechanically mostly the same regardless of professions:
      1. Simple autoattack
      2. Stronger attack
      3. Short recharge block
      4. Long recharge counterblock
      5. Profession-specific trick.
        • Warrior: Kick that pushes enemy away.
        • Guardian: Applies protection to nearby allies. Long recharge, but recharges faster by taking damage.
        • Engineer: Utility belt skill that depends on the selected elite (e.g.: Supply drop->drops healing kits, Elixir X->Gain stability, Mortar->Throw an unexploded mortar shell).
        • Ranger: Give pet a snack, giving them the same boons as consume ectoplasm
        • Thief: Throw a smoke pellet.
        • Elementalist: Deal a condition based on attunement: Burning, vulnerability, weakness, crippled.
        • Necromancer: Summon a short lived minion.
        • Mesmer: Summon a phantom brawler.
  • Crossbow
    • Ranger: Much slower that longbow, and with mostly condition-DPS based damage. No AoEs, nor ‘repeating’ attacks like rapid fire, but some of the attacks pierce through enemies. 1200-1500 range.
    • Thief: Slower single target 1200 range attacks. Condition DPS mostly. (They’ll get direct damage single target sniping with rifles)
    • Engineer: In the hands of an engineer, crossbows become mechanically improved rapid-fire repeating crossbows used like assault weapons with short bursts, no condition DPS.
  • 1-hand crossbow
    • Ranger: Both main and offhand. Quick single target 900 range attacks used similar to thief pistols.
    • Thief: Offhand only. Gives poison, stealth and other assassination trickery.
    • Mesmer: Main had only. Piercing attacks that go through enemies in straight lines hitting up to 3 enemies. 3rd skill has a 33% chance to summon a clone on hit, summoning up to 3 clones in one attack with some luck.
  • Quarterstaves
    • Thief: Hammer-like attacks centered around mobility, evades and CCs. Bad synergy with stealth builds.
    • Elementalist: Strong PBAoE and defensive skills, no single target attacks with more than 300 range, no targeted ground skills. Very low mobility. Getting close to a quarterstaff elementalist would be very dangerous, but they can’t do much to you if you keep your distance.
    • Third soldier profession: Lots of CC and snares.
  • Underwater 5-skill dagger.
    • For warrior, thief, ranger, necromancer and elementalist. Much shorter range attacks and less damage, but quite faster in exchange.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

Net and Trident
– Almost exclusively a control weapon. Deal higher damage to immobilized and stunned targets.

Crossbow
– Or just rifles for more classes.

Throwing Dagger
– This is more just alternate skills for daggers, but ranged dagger attacks would be pretty neat.

Glaive, Spear, Bardiche, Polearms in general
– Spears would be a nice throwback, but some bleed application with a daze or knock down from a leg sweep would be sweet.

Sling
– A simple ranged weapon to go on the other end from rifles and pistols. Sorta like grenades for thief, throwing smoke bombs, poison bombs, shrapnel bombs, that sorta thing.

Shotguns
– Rather than have rifles fall into both categories, have rifles for single target/piercing, and shotguns for short range multi-target.

Knuckles
– Unarmed attacks would be fantastic. Enough said.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I can’t see how a elementalis could use a Halberd o.O .

Either way, I miss spears, polearms and greataxes for medium/heavys.

For elementalists, maybe something like one-handed wand? (Even while I would certainly not use it)

EDIT: Knuckles, oh yeah! I would certainly use knuckles on my ele. This seens awesome

Posted by: epborden.7492

epborden.7492

Ok guys… seriously… let’s get some D&D rules straight here. This is ridiculous.

Light armor wearing folks can’t wield heavy weapons like great axes, hammers, or two-handed swords. They would use daggers, short swords, swords, staves, books, or other lightweight magic-based weaponry.

Medium armor wearing folks can’t wield heavy weapons like light armor folks. They would also NOT wear staves, or other magic-based weaponry that is meant for cloth wearing folks. They would use daggers, short swords, swords, short bows, crossbows, and small shields.

Heavy armor wearing folks can’t wield staves, or magic-based weaponry (the only exception to this is the traditional paladin). They would also traditionally not wield daggers. They would use short swords, swords, two-handed swords, maces, hammers, axes, great axes, pikes (polearms, tridents, halberd, etc), small and large shields, longbow, and crossbow.

The reason it is segregated like that is because of the armor class. A cloth wearer doesn’t need a shield because they can summon magic barriers. A medium wearer doesn’t need magic-based weaponry because they rely on small, quick weapons and stealth. A heavy wearer doesn’t need magic barriers because they wear very hard armor.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Light armor wearing folks can’t wield heavy weapons like great axes, hammers, or two-handed swords. They would use daggers, short swords, swords, staves, books, or other lightweight magic-based weaponry.

Medium armor wearing folks can’t wield heavy weapons like light armor folks. They would also NOT wear staves, or other magic-based weaponry that is meant for cloth wearing folks. They would use daggers, short swords, swords, short bows, crossbows, and small shields.

Heavy armor wearing folks can’t wield staves, or magic-based weaponry. They would also traditionally not wield daggers. They would use short swords, swords, two-handed swords, maces, hammers, axes, great axes, pikes (polearms, tridents, halberd, etc), small and large shields, longbow, and crossbow.

The reason it is segregated like that is because of the armor class. A cloth wearer doesn’t need a shield because they can summon magic barriers. A medium wearer doesn’t need magic-based weaponry because they rely on small, quick weapons and stealth. A heavy wearer doesn’t need magic barriers because they wear very hard armor.

Mesmers wield Greatswords, Necromancers use Axes.

The rules of D&D were never present in this game

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: epborden.7492

epborden.7492

Which just goes to show how broken and backwards this game really is. Yeah! Let’s let our mage class use a two-handed sword that is probably three times as heavy as they are! That is so awesome even though it doesn’t make any sense what so ever!

Posted by: TheGaryTh.1649

TheGaryTh.1649

Heavy armor wearing folks can’t wield staves, or magic-based weaponry (the only exception to this is the traditional paladin). They would also traditionally not wield daggers. They would use short swords, swords, two-handed swords, maces, hammers, axes, great axes, pikes (polearms, tridents, halberd, etc), small and large shields, longbow, and crossbow.

But the current sets can pretty much use all of the weapons. Mesmers and Rangers can both use 2h greatswords and Guardian can use a staff and focus. :c

Posted by: Skeletonwitch.3280

Skeletonwitch.3280

I’ve never understood why they gave Rangers Greatswords. Really doesn’t make sense to me.

Mesmers on the other hand… if you’ve ever seen one using it or played as one (I’m sure most of you have) they use it as a magic channeling device, and it looks really nice. If she was going up and swinging it like a Warrior does, then I’d have a problem with it.

:Team Skritt:

Megaserver kittening kittens! :-(

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

For all-new weapons?

Fist/Knuckle, oh yes. Totally want my Charr beating people up with his bare hands.

Some other kind of two-hander, greatspear/axe.

Maybe if they release Tengu, we could get some other faux-Asian martial styles? Hmm.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

Hammer for engis, thinking Cid from FFIV

Sling (off-hand) for almost any class

Halberd was a pretty good suggestion

Fishing rod – oh yeah add fishing to the game

Chakrams similar to Kingdom of Amalur, those were actually a blast

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Chakrams similar to Kingdom of Amalur, those were actually a blast

Oh gawd, the number of humans running around with variants of the name Sun Shang Xiang. XD

…all of which doing it wrong if they don’t weapon switch a bow. Just sayin’. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Five new weapons:

Flails, both one and two handed variants. (this should really be two choices I think) and of cause with anything from one to three heads.
Short one handed spear that could be used on land instead of just an aquatic version
Picks, often one handed but could be added as another two handed option if people wanted. Always was a good option against heavily armored opponents.
Quarter staff. Using a staff for magic is all very well but it is still useful to be able to hit someone with it.
Fans, to add something a bit different, I feel they would specifically suit mesmers, elementalists and thieves, and would particularly suit Canthan descended characters (at least until they bring out a Canthan expansion when they would fit perfectly).

Of cause I would like to see Great Axes and Cross bows added, but they have already been called for a lot, I wanted to add a bit more variety to the mix.

My main gripe at the moment is that Rangers have a wonderful choice of off hand weaponry but only the sword for main hand melee attacks, they could do with a bit more choice there.

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Which just goes to show how broken and backwards this game really is. Yeah! Let’s let our mage class use a two-handed sword that is probably three times as heavy as they are! That is so awesome even though it doesn’t make any sense what so ever!

That’s right! Pick up your pitchforks and torches, villagers, this game isn’t exactly like a second game! It is BROOOOOOKEEEEENNNN!!!

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Chaos Axe – 1 hand Sword with dyeable glowing effects

Obsidian Edge – 2 handed Sword that actually looks like something that can do serious damage while looking darn elegant

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

• Scythe (one-handed): Necromancer, Thief, Mesmer. Yes, it’s one-handed, can you imagine how awesome would be a dual-wielding thief?

You are thinking Sickle not Scythe.
Sickle is a one-handed curved blade.
Scythe is a two-handed with a long, hooked blade attached to a long handle.

Necromancer, Mesmer, and MAYBE a Guardian would use a scythe.

A thief would use a kaiser blade (sling blade) before using a sickle.

A sickle isn’t designed to be an effective weapon. Nunchaku were the weaponized evolution of the sickle that was used for threshing rice (small handle with blade attached [sickle] then attached to a longer pole by cord or chain).

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Sarnax.8357

Sarnax.8357

Battleaxe. Spear. Machine Gun.

One day there will be a legendary battle axe and hopefully it won’t shoot dumb kitten unicorns out.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Those two-handed swords weigh between 4 and 6 pounds.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

You do realize that when a Mesmer attacks with a greatsword, they are not even physically holding the weapon. They levitate it and channel attacks through it.

Attachments:

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior