New account cheaper than buying char slots.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NeedsFoodBadly.2671

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

You can buy the original core game anywhere from 10-20 bucks which grants 5 character slots while on the other hand 5 character slots from the gem store will cost you 50 bucks.

Character slot sales also seem to be something of a rarity.

Am I crazy, or does it seem wrong that it’s massively cheaper to buy an alt account than it is to get the same additional character slots on an existing account?

bracing for incoming hate

Remember: Don’t Shoot Food!

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Yes you can buy new account. But new account have no achievement, no skins in wardrobe, no gold, no other wallet items, nothing else from an account play for years. So yes start over if you want on new account.

;)

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

No hate from me

It’s not as convenient having two accounts. I have a second account and it is more of a nuisance than anything. I got it for reasons other than character slots and I have had it quite some time. I hardly use it any more though. There are many inconveniences but just off the top of my head, the most annoying ones are: you can’t share account bound items or the bank; you have to do two lots of dailies – if you have the time; and then, when there is a special event on, your second account will most likely dip out unless you have a lot of time to spend. My second account really is the poor cousin of my main account and I would love it if there was a way of merging them. I would much rather pay for extra character slots.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah, if you don’t value the progress on your old account or haven’t made much progress, then a new account would be a better buy. You would need to start pretty much from scratch. The only thing you could move over is your gold and any mats.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

It’s not as convenient having two accounts. I have a second account and it is more of a nuisance than anything.

I agree! I’m not advocating or recommending people buy a new account for character slots, I just think 10 bucks for one character slot, which is 1/5th the price of the new expansion (standard edition) is crazy.

And at 800 gems, if you want to try currency trading that will cost you 230 gold and if you’ve got that kind of money you’ve probably sunk a lot of time and money into the game in the first place.

I remember people dismissing gold/gem inflation as not being a thing in 2013. Uh…yeah. Anybody here got a time machine?

All in all, I suppose it’s moot to complain about since with the influx of F2P players it’s certainly not going to get any better. In fact, probably the reverse.

But I sincerely think Anet should consider lowering the price, or at least making character slot sales more common.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

the only good things about 2nd account are daily login reward, and dungeon farming. storage-wise it is not very convenient. i i know because i have one. another character slot is better if the purpose is storage.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Just a flesh wound.3589

another annoying thing is the restriction on mailing to your other account. You get 2 emails, then you get a halt for a while unless you allow time in between those 2 emails. It makes transferring items and gold between the two exceptionally annoying.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

another annoying thing is the restriction on mailing to your other account. You get 2 emails, then you get a halt for a while unless you allow time in between those 2 emails. It makes transferring items and gold between the two exceptionally annoying.

Make personal guild with bank. Invite alt. Put thing in bank to share. No problem with mail then.

;)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Make personal guild with bank. Invite alt. Put thing in bank to share. No problem with mail then.

I know. I wish. But my chars on my alt account are at a jumping puzzle chest with no easy access to a guild bank. There isn’t one in PvP and not always one in WvW. I usually mail chest contents/mats out rather than have loading time twice and traveling time for each char as it’s much faster.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I have 5 accounts, lol. There comes a point when getting more accounts for slots is a massive chore. So much logging in for daily rewards >.<

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have 5 accounts, lol. There comes a point when getting more accounts for slots is a massive chore. So much logging in for daily rewards >.<

In that case you are doing it from the login rewards and not just for the character slots.

As for slots versus new account. I can buy more character slots by exchanging gold for gems but all the gold in Tyria won’t let me buy another account. Even without the exchange GW1 was like that as well and I am sure there are plenty of other online games which are the same. In fact this is even more extreme in the other F2P game I am playing since each account starts with 24 character slots while each additional slot cost $3.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I know. I wish. But my chars on my alt account are at a jumping puzzle chest with no easy access to a guild bank. There isn’t one in PvP and not always one in WvW. I usually mail chest contents/mats out rather than have loading time twice and traveling time for each char as it’s much faster.

You can access Guild Bank from the guild npc in Citadels in your home BL. Talk to him and ask to see your bank. You can also swap tabs to access your normal bank slots, but it’s a bit awkward.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can access Guild Bank from the guild npc in Citadels in your home BL. Talk to him and ask to see your bank. You can also swap tabs to access your normal bank slots, but it’s a bit awkward.

Interesting. I didn’t know that. Mailing is still faster than 2 loading screens and a run to that spot, but it’s good to know that’s an option.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

yeah hopefully this and crafting are also remain at new border lands but to push the permanent pass ( airship and the dr one) i guess they could remove it

also a good question is: can you still own a bank guild vault without owning a guild hall

(edited by Zaron.1987)

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

You can buy the original core game anywhere from 10-20 bucks which grants 5 character slots while on the other hand 5 character slots from the gem store will cost you 50 bucks.

Am I crazy, or does it seem wrong that it’s massively cheaper to buy an alt account than it is to get the same additional character slots on an existing account?

I’ve always found that the gem store items are overpriced, don’t get why they can’t lower the items just a bit and will make it more enjoyable for people to buy even more things…

800 Gems ==> 10 Euro

That price is almost a full month game time in other MMORPG’s.
I find that you can’t do much with 800 gems to be honest.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

I’ve always found that the gem store items are overpriced, don’t get why they can’t lower the items just a bit and will make it more enjoyable for people to buy even more things…

800 Gems ==> 10 Euro

never change a winning team or working system

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

800 Gems ==> 10 Euro

I don’t know if you’ve been following GW2 news lately…but they did recently make some massive “changes” to the game.

What’s better, 1 person buys something at full price or 10 people buy something at half price? Just saying.

Not that I think that’s going to happen.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

800 Gems ==> 10 Euro

I don’t know if you’ve been following GW2 news lately…but they did recently make some massive “changes” to the game.

What’s better, 1 person buys something at full price or 10 people buy something at half price? Just saying.

Not that I think that’s going to happen.

We already have the ability to create our own discounts via gold conversion.

I can choose to pay $10 for a character slot or I can choose to pay part of that price via in game earned resources, or even pay all of that cost via in game resources.

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

@NeedsFoodBadly.2671

Where can you buy the core game for 10 dollars? I can only find core+HoT for close to retail.

azizul.8469

@NeedsFoodBadly.2671

Where can you buy the core game for 10 dollars? I can only find core+HoT for close to retail.

i think he was talking about the $10 acccounts that was sold earlier this year prior to HoT pre-purchase.

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

i think he was talking about the $10 acccounts that was sold earlier this year prior to HoT pre-purchase.

The OP posted this yesterday though making it seem, at least to some of us, that accounts were still on sale in that price range from “somewhere”.

azizul.8469

The OP posted this yesterday though making it seem, at least to some of us, that accounts were still on sale in that price range from “somewhere”.

ah ok. although that somewhere does sound shaddy…. lol.

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

something you may be forgeting as well as that as expansions come out you will allso have to buy the expansion a second time as well if you wana enjoy the new content on your second account chars and that includes any future expansions that follow after HoT

so the price of playing chars on a second account will proly cost more than you think in the long run