New armorsets from dungeons, when?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

And I don’t mean the 1038792743927393th cosmetic backpack or the od 0.00000971% drop minipet.

I mean actual content update with actual armors and weapons not tied to microtransactions or RNG microtransaction box tickets.

Don’t you get tired of milking your customers for gems to gold purchases so they can have something in the game when you hide every skin either behind black lion chests or even worse drop rate RNG?

2+ years, end of beta you released dungeons with sets that were guaranteed by tokens from running those dungeons, and then you bait and switched into some despicable F2P RNG goldink items (precursors and fractal weapons say hi).

I don’t think I’ve seen a single new weapon/armorset from doing PvE that isn’t some 0.00093871%-Please-Buy-Gems-To-Afford-It rare item. All of the new looks have been on the gemstore, and some of those armors and weapons even recycles pieces/textures from old armors lol.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

A: Never.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It’s a simple formula, money from gemstore sales is used to develop the game in general, along with more gemstore items to continue encouraging gemstore sales.

Money from subscriptions is used to develop new dungeons and expand the selection of dungeon related items. So convince your friends to subscribe to the game and their sub money will be used to develop new dungeon content.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Ambrite and Carapace sets say hi.

Granted, they are locked behind a fair bit of grind, but you can’t buy them with gold, so it’s not locked behind the gemstore.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Run Dungeons, make gold, gold →Gems, buy new style, Yay!

Honestly I have no problem with the current method.

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Granted, they are locked behind a fair bit of grind, but you can’t buy them with gold, so it’s not locked behind the gemstore.

The OP asked for armor rewarded for dungeon completion. From which dungeons do I get the ones you mentioned?

:p

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The OP asked for armor rewarded for dungeon completion. From which dungeons do I get the ones you mentioned?

It was possibly a response to this statement by the OP.

“I don’t think I’ve seen a single new weapon/armorset from doing PvE that isn’t some 0.00093871%-Please-Buy-Gems-To-Afford-It rare item. All of the new looks have been on the gemstore, and some of those armors and weapons even recycles pieces/textures from old armors lol.”

Where Zaxares was pointing out that there are weapons and armor that are not bought with gold or from the gemstore.

(Also the new pinnacle weapons from achievement chests)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Never. As far as dungeons are concerned, the game is already in its completed state.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I mean actual content update with actual armors and weapons not tied to microtransactions or RNG microtransaction box tickets.

But instead tied to running instances ? No thanks .. in that case i prefer to have armor
in the shop.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

Maybe when there is a new dungeon?

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Maybe when there is a new dungeon?

Yup. Like I said,

A: Never.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

“I don’t think I’ve seen a single new weapon/armorset from doing PvE that isn’t some 0.00093871%-Please-Buy-Gems-To-Afford-It rare item. All of the new looks have been on the gemstore, and some of those armors and weapons even recycles pieces/textures from old armors lol.”

Where Zaxares was pointing out that there are weapons and armor that are not bought with gold or from the gemstore.

Also, sovereign, radiant/hellfire skins, and zenith weapons.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I love how sticking to the pay model that the game was clearly advertised to be using is being called “bait and switch”.

Seriously people? Seriously?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Do people actually expect Anet to commend on this out of a sudden?

It should be well known by now that they dont commend on future content.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Money from subscriptions is used to develop new dungeons and expand the selection of dungeon related items. So convince your friends to subscribe to the game and their sub money will be used to develop new dungeon content.

Well to be fair, it’s not like the money goes straight to dungeons, and with the look of things it seems that they receive an extremely small part of it.

We’ve hardly seen any new dungeons, aside from the Aetherpath which is totally new, although p3 was sacrificed to the skritt lords for it. And well I think there’s only been like 4 new fractals? Which by the way were kind of recycled content from the Living World.

Like someone above said, it seems like regarding dungeons the game is complete for them.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

tolunart.2095

Like someone above said, it seems like regarding dungeons the game is complete for them.

They are ignored by the vast majority of players. Among those who run dungeons with any real frequency, most are speedrunners who are only interested in completing the path as quickly as possible and collecting as much loot as possible.

So, why waste time and money developing content almost no one will see, and those who will see will not care about?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Also, sovereign, radiant/hellfire skins, and zenith weapons.

There is also Glorious, Sunless, ascended, wurmslayer armor, Annelid Rifle Skin, King Toad, Storm Wizard. Some of which can be bought with gold but none are gemstore.
In addition there are some stand alone items, like Scarlet’s kiss, her helm, the helms that are dropping in Dry top with the goggles.

So these are some that are non gemstore skins:
sovereign, radiant/hellfire skins, zenith weapons, pinnacle, amberite, carapace, glorious, sunless, ascended, wurmslayer armor, Annelid Rifle Skin, King Toad, Storm Wizard (not listing other single pieces)

And a multitude of backpieces such as the wings, the Spinal set, the new crafted ones, etc…

Lord Kuru.3685

Among those who run dungeons with any real frequency, most are speedrunners who are only interested in completing the path as quickly as possible and collecting as much loot as possible.

That’s a result of not having new dungeon content. Running the same dungeons for over two years, who’s going to run them anymore but for the loot?

tolunart.2095

Among those who run dungeons with any real frequency, most are speedrunners who are only interested in completing the path as quickly as possible and collecting as much loot as possible.

That’s a result of not having new dungeon content. Running the same dungeons for over two years, who’s going to run them anymore but for the loot?

A while back they revised one of the dungeons and added a new path, redistributed the rewards and so on… I don’t remember the exact changes because personally I couldn’t care less about dungeons, but I remember they worked on it for a bit.

I’m sure they collected data about how players reacted to the changes. And after analyzing the data they realized that dungeons were a waste of time and resources and gave up on revisiting old dungeons or creating new ones.

It’s a bit of a catch-22, if players don’t run the dungeons the devs aren’t going to waste their efforts creating new dungeons, and without new dungeons players aren’t motivated to run the dungeons. When you are working with limited resources you have to focus your efforts on the things that will produce the best results, and dungeons just won’t do that.

Jerus.4350

They are ignored by the vast majority of players. Among those who run dungeons with any real frequency, most are speedrunners who are only interested in completing the path as quickly as possible and collecting as much loot as possible.

So, why waste time and money developing content almost no one will see, and those who will see will not care about?

Curious, where do you get your information?

I’ve always been curious how their metrics work for this.

I’d be interested in seeing the statistics.

• How many players in GW2?
  • How many have run a dungeons?
  • How many run a dungeon on average once a week?
  • How many run a dungeon 5 times a week?

I’ve always understood that the toughest content in PVE is generally populated by the smallest group of players. This however does not mean that others don’t indulge in it for a change of pace, something to give them a little challenge now and then. I’ve run into quite a few people this last week PUGing that surely aren’t regular dungeon crawlers, but they’re there anyways… seems kind of contrary to your claims, even though I agree that most of what you see is speedrunners farming their gold and what not.

tolunart.2095

Observation and common sense. Imagine you run a snack foods company, and you have developed a new product that comes in three flavors. You test the market by producing 100,000 boxes of each flavor and seeing how they sell after a month.

Flavor A sells out in two weeks.
Flavor B sells out just before the end of the month.
Flavor C sells 25,000 boxes and you’re left with 75% of the product unsold.

The smart thing to do would be to concentrate on flavors A and B but discontinue flavor C because it didn’t sell well. Of course there are going to be a few thousand people who liked flavor C and will be disappointed when they can’t get any more. But from a business point of view, it doesn’t make sense to support a product that has 1/4 the sales of other products and doesn’t make a profit.

So, if the Living Story is popular Anet continues developing the Living Story.
If PVP is popular Anet continues developing PVP.
If dungeons are popular Anet continues developing dungeons.

Anet has not continued developing dungeons, therefore they are not as popular as other parts of the game. Anet does not release the kind of data you are asking about to the public, but they collect the data and use it internally to make decisions. You can get a general idea of what the data tells them by considering their actions in the long term.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Jerus.4350

You’re missing the important questions. Your example is exactly why I’m curious about their metrics. According to your example they should simply cut flavor C because it wasn’t as popular as I predicted right?

Well, that’s not the question that should be asked, instead the question should be, is can it still be financially viable? Will those who liked C simply move to A or B? Or am I losing customers by dropping it? Is it reasonable to simply make 25k of C? etc.

That’s what I’m trying to ask here. The name of the game here isn’t “what is most popular, lets do that!” It’s about keeping the game lively. A new dungeon would surely bring some players back and get some players dropping cash on the game again, worth it /shrug no clue.

Your last sentence seems to assume that you feel ANet has properly analyzed the data. I simply don’t believe ANet has a brain at the top, some of the devs, sure, the management… well some of the moves they’ve made coupled with comments on things like glassdoor, well… I don’t believe they know what they’re doing.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

New armor sets for every dungeon? Never.

takes a drink

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

OP used that as a bait-and-switch into the old tired kittening about no new armor or weapons except through the Gem Store (which is nothing more than a load of self-serving bullkitten). Keeping that in mind, Zax’s response is sufficient and correct.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I’m ok with the current selection of dungeon skins. I’m spending enough time grinding out the Dungeoneer achievement; I don’t need more things to spend my precious tokens on :P. I’d much rather see more skins available from living story/quest lines and some added to wvw and pvp.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

You’re missing the important questions. Your example is exactly why I’m curious about their metrics. According to your example they should simply cut flavor C because it wasn’t as popular as I predicted right?

Well, that’s not the question that should be asked, instead the question should be, is can it still be financially viable? Will those who liked C simply move to A or B? Or am I losing customers by dropping it? Is it reasonable to simply make 25k of C? etc.

That’s what I’m trying to ask here. The name of the game here isn’t “what is most popular, lets do that!” It’s about keeping the game lively. A new dungeon would surely bring some players back and get some players dropping cash on the game again, worth it /shrug no clue.

Your last sentence seems to assume that you feel ANet has properly analyzed the data. I simply don’t believe ANet has a brain at the top, some of the devs, sure, the management… well some of the moves they’ve made coupled with comments on things like glassdoor, well… I don’t believe they know what they’re doing.

To use your analogy about Product C, no, you don’t think about making only 25k of the product, because the cost to produce 25k of Product C is going to be more than the cost to produce 100k of Products A and B, and this is because the manufacturer of the components that go into Products A & B can reduce their cost on the higher volume. The reduced volume of the components for Product C would cause the business to have to increase the consumers cost of Product C, which would in turn reduce sales because some of the customers that originally bought won’t pay a higher price…it becomes a vicious circle that you can’t win. Hence why sometimes good ideas are tossed out the window in favor of something not so good, and visa versa. It might not make any sense, but you don’t spend resources to obtain revenue from the 10% of the market when you can earn revenue from the other 90%(those are just numbers to use as an example).

As for the amount of Devs working on stuff for the Gem Store, I highly doubt it’s more than half a dozen at the most, especially with the skins, it only takes one or two artists and most likely one programmer can handle the programming. There’s no need for a large team to add items to the Gem Store.

tolunart.2095

Management never knows what they’re doing. Read the newspaper comic strip “Dilbert” for the most intelligent commentary on the business world.

Regardless, the point is that Anet staff has to focus on the best use of their limited resources. Their decisions may not be the best possible use of those resources, and they may not be how you would use those resources, but the decisions have been made.

Jerus.4350

Management never knows what they’re doing. Read the newspaper comic strip “Dilbert” for the most intelligent commentary on the business world.

Regardless, the point is that Anet staff has to focus on the best use of their limited resources. Their decisions may not be the best possible use of those resources, and they may not be how you would use those resources, but the decisions have been made.

I can agree with you there. My whole point was simply that I’m very curious as to their analysis on dungeons, what the metrics are and how they read them.

tolunart.2095

I can agree with you there. My whole point was simply that I’m very curious as to their analysis on dungeons, what the metrics are and how they read them.

A lot of people are, but Anet does not share that information. So all we can do is work backwards from the results (what makes it into the live version of the game) and speculate about what led to that decision.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Observation and common sense.

And, apparently, pulling a lot of it out of your backside in your above posts.

Lot of what you mention is assumptions… And, as you say, pure speculation so it doesn’t have any real value.

I really really would like to see new dungeon content. And it’s a safe assumption that the large number of people (10000+) who play/played in dungeons would like to see new content after 2 years. (See what I did there?)

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

tolunart.2095

Lot of what you mention is assumptions… And, as you say, pure speculation so it doesn’t have any real value.

Of course, because Anet makes a profit by ignoring what their customers want, just like any good business does.

Lord Kuru.3685

I really really would like to see new dungeon content. And it’s a safe assumption that the large number of people (10000+) who play/played in dungeons would like to see new content after 2 years. (See what I did there?)

This. Given a few facts it’s easy to interpolate a story that fits them.

Here’s my made-up story: someone at or near the top at Anet is obsessed with the idea of LS because it’s his baby. Whether explicitly (“100% of all dev resources must be put into LS”) or implicitly (“I as a middle ranked dev will only pitch ideas for content that are LS-related in order to gain the favor my boss”), only LS receives dev focus.

Fits perfectly with the lack of attention to all other aspects of the game (notably dungeons).

And I didn’t even have to appeal to any metrics that I don’t possess.