New asura faces (are you kidding me?)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I have some complaints about the new asura faces. The faces can be found here at the bottom.

1. They are all the same faces, the only difference is the eyes.

2. One of the faces has snake eyes.. really? Asura don’t have eyes like that, that’s
lorebreaking. I can understand it if it’s a mask, but it is not.

3.The faces for male and female are EXACTLY the same. Why? That doesn’t make
any sense. The faces and hair is the only way to tell female and male asura apart,
why would you give them the same face models?

I’m sorry If I’m missing something here, but this seems extremely lazy. Just take one face, copy it a bunch of times but with different eyes and give it to both genders.

PS. I know this might have been more appropriate for the Asura forum section, but that place doesn’t get much traffic and I believe this matter deserves some attention.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Yeah they were seriously lazy about the design. The eyelashes on females are actually longer, but aside from that they’re exactly the same. More reasons I’m starting to warm up to my human alt…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

Hopefully this gets more attention then the ignored complaints about the worthless selfless potion on Asura.

mrauls.6519

I’m tired about so many things done wrong on asura! After playing a human character for a while, I’ve noticed how SHRUNKEN down the armor is, and how hard it is to get armor and weapons not to clip, whereas a human counterpart has almost everything fit neat and nicely. Why is this?!?!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: ninetales.5208

ninetales.5208

Yeah I have to agree. I usually roll my eyes when I see posts saying “zomg anet devs hate this and this” but this is actually quite insulting, and has left me feeling that anet really are indifferent to asura

I mean, asura hairstyles in the kits have been amazing, really, I have loved all the new additions. And the faces on their own are quite nice (not to my taste), but I don’t think i’m alone in thinking that this is lazy and uninspired.

There are already many asura players calling for minor differences to be added in male/female clothing but now we also have to share faces as well…

Why anet? :/ Argh.

It’s true, I’m not dangerous. But these golems are!
ASURA POWER!

(edited by ninetales.5208)

There are already many asura players calling for minor differences to be added in male/female clothing but now we also have to share faces as well…

Indeed, that’s what makes it even worse.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Same kitten with charr. Dissapointed that they used old faces and made em creepier and put them as “new ones”. Gross.

But if it makes you feel better I managed to create a presentable asura with that 1 new face they added today.

Attachments:

mrauls.6519

Looks like a mutated human XD

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

It looks presentable, the problem being that both genders have that exact same face. It just doesn’t make sense.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

we have several inventing Asuras faces, see this tumblr:
http://metaphonkers.tumblr.com/

the artist has invented Hotto, an asura in really boring face!

http://asuralations.tumblr.com/

the artist has cool designs!

http://clairrcosmique.tumblr.com/

the artist has to concepts of hair!

you will not tell us that you can not innovate for the Asuras!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I find the new glowy markings on the new sylvari faces fugly. It makes them look weird. Wish the markings were different or not even there cause it just ruins them. Haven’t seen the asura ones yet, going to now :-/

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Magi.8643

Magi.8643

It’s not just asura with copy n’ pasted face sylvari female have the same face from the previous update copied for the new 3 but just with some barley noticeable (if you zoom right in on there face) freckles.

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

When I saw the new male norn face , I immediately thought of Sontarans from Dr. Who

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: ninetales.5208

ninetales.5208

It’s not just asura with copy n’ pasted face sylvari female have the same face from the previous update copied for the new 3 but just with some barley noticeable (if you zoom right in on there face) freckles.

Unfortunately this isn’t the only issue asura has Yes, the other races had a few copy-paste jobs adding make-up or patterns etc. The real issue (imo) is the fact that there is no difference between the male and female faces. It screams of a complete lack of interest and creativity toward this race.

:(

It’s true, I’m not dangerous. But these golems are!
ASURA POWER!

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

You should see the female charr faces……. why does anet hate charr so much?
But yeah, the asura faces are sad— about 98% of all the new faces are just laziness
it’s all a blur now haha

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

You should see the female charr faces……. why does anet hate charr so much?
But yeah, the asura faces are sad— about 98% of all the new faces are just laziness
it’s all a blur now haha

You can be Rox now! :o

But yeah. New faces are kinda disappointing, and there look like there are a few duplicates around the place. The main one that I like that was added was the human one with freckles, though; I might make a ginger for it.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Its not just the asuran faces that were disappointing. Most of them just looked like other faces that already existed, like they had been recycled and called “new”. Out of them all I think the male Charr got one good one (and no, I’m not talking about the one that looks like he has a serious skin condition).

As for ArenaNet neglecting and/or not caring about Asurans… I do believe they’ve stated in the past that as players role humans around 60% of the time, that the other races won’t be getting as much attention. Especially Charr/Asuran.

Players: “What about my asuran?!”
ArenaNet: “Meh… EFFORT.”

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

Just took a detailed look at the new faces. Most are a copy pasta of one existing face template with 3 “new” face patterns applied across them. Human, Norn, and Sylvari have this for female and male (2 templated faces), while asura have only 1 face template and 6 patterns applied. Surprisingly, only charr got 6 different faces modified. Idk my charr faces very well but some might actually be entirely new. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but is the asura face new as well?

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Most of those faces are the same, pretty much no bone structure variation, just minor texture work. I’m embarrassed but not surprised.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

The Sylvari race says hello honestly.. so many of the faces and hairstyles are identical across gender, you’d be really surprised..

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The Sylvari race says hello honestly.. so many of the faces and hairstyles are identical across gender, you’d be really surprised..

Yeah all the same face with a few alterations. All have bark sticking out of the same 1 side of face :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

First off, I’m going to say that I actually like the fact that the Asura faces (and most faces in the game, really) have different eyes. In fact, I chose my current Asura’s face based largely on the eyes, moreso than any other part of the face. Not to say I don’t like the entire face in general, but it was the eyes that caught my… well, eye, as I was scrolling through the choices and ultimately made me decide to use the face.

However, my liking of the different eyes hinges on the fact that the eyes are a PART of what makes each face unique. Not the eyes being the single distinguishing feature of the face which is otherwise the same. Adding this new set of faces with identical facial structure, then changing the eyes and only the eyes (not counting the minor tattoo stuff on some of them) is just cheap and lame.

Now, if they had, say, added the 3 current eye variations AND another 2 unique faces, then I’d be fine with that. The variations exist for people who want different eyes, and they still provide 3 new faces as well. They kind of did this with the Sylvari hairstyles last time they added new hairstyles, they included a variation of one of the styles but also still added 3 brand new and different styles total (so they added 4 selections overall, with 1 being a variation). But to advertise 3 new faces and then just slap a couple eye variants and try to pass them off as all new? That’s awful.

Or they could have, ya know, just done what they did with all the other Asura faces. Different eyes along with a different facial structure. Especially if you’re expecting people to drop cash on Makeover Kits to access them, you can at least put the same amount of effort into the new ones that went into the old ones.

EDIT: Checked out Charr and Sylvari faces for the new update as well. Sylvari, surprisingly, actually fared even worse than Asura. Not only are all of their new faces also variations of various scars and different colored leafy bits (and the male has a single eye variation as well), but they’re variations of one of the faces in the last face pack. So they pretty much literally got nothing new, where at least Asura got one new face (with variations).

Charr fared quite a bit better it would seem. Both male and female Charr got 2 completely new faces, and 1 variation of an existing face (both from the last face pack as well). The male Charr’s variation is actually what I’d consider a “legit” reskin, since while it shares the same model, it changes the textures to the point where it looks very different. The original face had bone spikes, fairly big lips and a pattern on the muzzle. The “new” face changes the bone spikes to fur tufts, makes the lips much less pronounced, and removes the pattern from the muzzle (in addition to just generally changing the coloration). You almost can’t tell its a retexture at first glance. The female recolor is just a boring lazy one that throws a bit more black on another face.

Don’t know about Norn or Human as I don’t play either of those races, but overall it seems like they rushed this face pack out the door long before it was ready and as a result ended up doing a whole lot of variations of existing faces. Either that or they’re getting really lazy with their customization additions, but I hope that’s not it because new (good) customization options is certainly something I look forward to.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

the limit …
ArenaNet can be to have all the elements of the face in a new tab apart: makeup / Tatoo. by the feeling that research is not a new form, but customization make up

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

My favorite part about asura is how nobody on the dev team ever tried moving and attacking with one at the same time, so any of the autoattacks with twirly animations such as necro axe or elementalist dagger only twist the top half of the character while the bottom half continues running normally, making asura spaz out in a really crazy glitchy manner every time they use skill #1.

My second favorite part is how each asuran eye reflects light differently for some reason and it ends up looking suuuuper weird and ugly in most lighting situations, with one being normal and the other being this dim, creepy, dead looking thing. Some faces are worse than others. The “cute” female face that seemingly everyone goes with probably gets it the roughest.

I’ve been looking forward to spending gems on some new asura faces but all of the makeover kit specific ones have been really, really bad so far. C’mon anet – if your entire game model is based around constantly pushing stupid stuff on the gem store, put some effort into making that stupid stuff look good. The hair options were nice, at least.

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

I was just about to make a complaint at dulfy because she did not add an asura male version… but I forgot. Now I see they are the same. Holly crap

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

The new male Asura faces sure are feminine.

Doesn’t one of the male Norn faces look like Big Nosed Ted from the human Personal Story?

The only one I like is the last of the human ones, but that’s only because I have a thing for freckles <3