New content and politics

New content and politics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

It is supposed to be a short comment on my behalf describing the current politics of Anet with regards to the new content of the living world.

At the very beginning, I would like to say that I do realise that gems/real cash ( micropayments ) is the main source of income for the company. It has been seen in many games and, often nowadays, is preferable over monthly subscription. But, the system that loses balance ( as defined later on ) has been the reason why some games have failed because of this system ( most notably SWToR, which became a pay-to-win game ).

Nevertheless, the point that I am trying to make is that Anet has lost the balance between the new content that can be obtained via 1) gems/real cash, and 2) random drop in PvE. Let me explain why I keep saying “gems/real cash”, when, in fact, gems can be obtained via currency exchange. The reason for that is, with more and more content delivered by Anet ( purchasable with gems ) recently, gems are worth more gold than before, i.e. 1 gold = approx. 13/14 gems, which is, to be blunt, a joke. Therefore, it is more than obvious that it is less cost-effective to exchange gold to gems.

I do not want to offend anyone from Anet, but, looking at this occurence, it would appear that you have some kind of hidden agenda, which would somehow force people ( because of cost-effectiveness of gold to gem exchange ) to buy more and more gems with the use of real cash. Yes, I am aware of the fact that one’s answer to that may be: simply, don’t buy if it is too costly. No, that’s not the point. The point is what I have referred to above: the balance that has been disturbed.

The balance ought to be like that: the living world you are so proud of, should implement the equal amount of randomly obtainable objects ( such as new armour, weapon skins etc. ) and gem-only purchasable content. However, it cannot be denied that, for a couple of months now, this has not been the case and it has shifted towards the gem-only purchasable content. This, in turn, is the reason why it is unreasonable for anyone to use the unprofitable method of gems acquisition, i.e. gold to gem exchange, for the price of gems is extremely high with such a high amount of gem-only purchasable content.

To conclude, I would kindly ask Anet to reconsider your standing with regards to the new conent. To be honest with you, it is not my personal, secluded opinion. I have been meeting and talking to more and more people who feel this way, and it is the very reason why so many people feel somehow disappointed with the whole idea of the living world, and why I wanted to share it with you. I, however, do think that the living world is something original and that which makes your game special. Nonetheless, just like with everything in the world, the balance must be kept so that everyone is pleased, both the company and the customers. Please, do concentrate on choosing quality over quantity ( yes, the living world has been quite a disappointment recently as well, e.g. the Halloween event which is uncomparable to the last years event, quality-wise; or the instant trait reset worth 75 gems – please… although it’s a game and is supposed to be fun, let’s be serious about the prices you do set very high ).

I hope to hear from the rest of people out there and I would be thankful for sharing your views on the issue with us.

Best regards

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

New content and politics

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Gear =/= Content

The gold to gem conversion has risen simply due to the fact that there is much more gold in the economy now. They completely revamped rewards and it’s much easier to make gold now.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Gear is indeed part of the new content, strictly speaking.

It is one of the reasons why it has risen, the others being the ones I stated above.

Nevertheless, thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

New content and politics

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

you are aware players control gem prices on the exchange right ? You cant really blame that on ANet .

New content and politics

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

It is one of the reasons why it has risen, the others being the ones I stated above.

Cheers

Gems are worth more gold now because there is more gold in the economy, that’s the only reason. There are numerous reasons why there is more gold now, but Gems are fixed at $10USD/800.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Adine, you haven’t really read what I wrote, am I right? You can blame then on shaking the balance with regards to the new content, which in turn makes people buy stuff, spend real cash etc., which again, in turn, buggers the gem price. Simple economics: supply and demand.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Cheers

Gems are worth more gold now because there is more gold in the economy, that’s the only reason. There are numerous reasons why there is more gold now, but Gems are fixed at $10USD/800.

That’s precisely the reason why people start choosing real cash to buy gems over gold to gem exchange. Logical.

New content and politics

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Cheers

Content is something you play through. Armor skins, specifically statless armor skins are merely window dressing.

New content and politics

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

you are aware players control gem prices on the exchange right ? You cant really blame that on ANet .

He’s hinting at that Anet us putting more and more attractive items on the gemshop to makes the exchange rate rise so people are more incentivised to buy gold with gems.

Although I’m not really surprised at the rate of stuff coming tithe gemshop, because GW1 and most other F2P/B2P MMOs do the same. I do feel that more effort should be spared to fix some if the gaping problems of the game, like the massive lack of character progression or most of the content being pointless to repeat due to the lack of rewards.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

He’s hinting at that Anet us putting more and more attractive items on the gemshop to makes the exchange rate rise so people are more incentivised to buy gold with gems.

Although I’m not really surprised at the rate of stuff coming tithe gemshop, because GW1 and most other F2P/B2P MMOs do the same. I do feel that more effort should be spared to fix some if the gaping problems of the game, like the massive lack of character progression or most of the content being pointless to repeat due to the lack of rewards.

I do agree with you, yet another issue.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

New content and politics

Xae Isareth.1364

Cheers

Content is something you play through. Armor skins, specifically statless armor skins are merely window dressing.

But when did anyone ever play through content in a MMO without being incentivised by rewards? We’ve been toned to expect shinies for doing stuff in a MMO for years.

New content and politics

rizzo.1079

Cheers

That’s precisely the reason why people start choosing real cash to buy gems over gold to gem exchange. Logical.

Yep you’re right…though conversely I haven’t bought gems in months now that I’ve managed to amass a couple hundred gold…

If you’re trying to insinuate that a.net is incentivizing the spending of real money on gems: duh of course they are, they’re a business.

(edited by rizzo.1079)

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Cheers

Yep you’re right…though conversely I haven’t bought gems in months now that I’ve managed to amass a couple hundred gold…

Just like someone else stated above, it is indeed easier to get gold nowadays. I do not feel like spending real cash on the game, that’s why I’ve decided to postpone buying the Dreamer from TP just to have some gold to spare on unlimited sickle, axe etc. as I have missed those before.:/

I am aware that’s the business that is highly profitable to them, nevertheless, I am disappointed with the balance, which is the main point that I have made. Too little new content that randomly drops/can be achieved compared to that purchasable with gems.

(edited by Corpus Christi.2057)

New content and politics

rizzo.1079

Oh ok I see…it doesn’t bother me personally, the gem store stuff is either not very good looking or it’s townclothes which I never see on any of my characters.

Carry on though!

(edited by rizzo.1079)

New content and politics

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

If Anet ever want more money, they can always release a expansion, that would get them a bucket load…

Also, if they ever do release a expansion, as part of that wouldn’t they after pump some gems into the market as part of that? Its what was done at the start GW2, they started it off with loads of free gems, since then players and only player have changed the exchange rate with there activities.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

If Anet ever want more money, they can always release a expansion, that would get them a bucket load…

Also, if they ever do release a expansion, as part of that wouldn’t they after pump some gems into the market as part of that? Its what was done at the start GW2, they started it off with loads of free gems, since then players and only player have changed the exchange rate with there activities.

That’s the case, indeed, but they’re way too distanced ( so it seems ) towards releasing any kind of paid expansion. They seem very pleased with their living story. Too pleased, I would say…

New content and politics

Xae Isareth.1364

I’m actually very surprised they havn’t gone down the DLC/expansion route.

Players WILL pay for them, and also prefer them over the sub-par content we are getting.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Players WILL pay for them, and also prefer them over the sub-par content we are getting.

Exactly.

I did like the idea of the living story at the very beginning, but when it all somehow derailed and took the route of quantity over quality, this game would do very well with a paid expansion now.

New content and politics

Xae Isareth.1364

Exactly.

I did like the idea of the living story at the very beginning, but when it all somehow derailed and took the route of quantity over quality, this game would do very well with a paid expansion now.

An expansion takes a long long time to make, and I think frankly it might be too late to start one. I would love it if they go down the TSW route though, where they make 3 monthly DLC packs. I believe Funcom fired a lot of their staff due to financial problems (can’t find the article now) and they still can pull off decent content with each DLC so I’m sure Anet with their relatively huge dev team can do even better.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

It’s interesting how the topic that I dubbed “New content and Anet politics” have been somehow “miraculously” changed ( not by me ) to “New content and politics”, which is confusing to be honest…

New content and politics

rizzo.1079

Honestly the topic was confusing anyhow, I have no idea about a.net office politics and I doubt you do either.

New content and politics

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Cheers

You don’t want to start the fight over the definition you do not understand… Just to help you get through: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/content, see 1.

Let’s focus on the topic now, thanks.

People who try to use dictionary definitions to back up their arguments about specific areas of interest are often going to be mistaken. If you look up mob in a dictionary it tends to talk about groups of people, but in MMOs you can have a single mob. Dictionaries don’t have context and so should be used in arguments sparingly.

You play content. You wear skins.

In the most general context if you want to consider skins content, you’re free to do so, but I certainly don’t and most of the people I’ve talked to over the years don’t either (this conversation comes up about every six months, so you know).

As others have said, the gem price is decided more by players than Anet. However, it’s part of their job to get people to buy stuff in the shop. If they weren’t doing that, they’re not doing their jobs.

Actually, considering most of the stuff in the shop, I’m not sure they are doing their jobs.

I’m not sure how many other MMOs you’ve played without a monthly sub, but most of them are absolutely godawful when it comes to their cash shop.

I can’t say with certainty that Guild Wars 2 has the best cash shop, but it’s very far from the worst. Some of us has played Lotro. lol

New content and politics

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

I’m appalled by the amount of people actually having the guts to say armor isn’t content. When armor is the central focus of most MMORPGs and is the central focus GW2.

I do understand the confusion some people are experiencing since literally no armor sets have been added within the actual game. The game currently is more about achievement grind than anything else, and that’s not cool.

Anyway, I agree with OP. At this point I’m wishing GW2 had a monthly subscription fee, maybe this way we’d end up with something more enjoyable.

It’s completely true they’ve gone the road of quantity over quality, it’s all about “look at all these new shallow updates we’re dishing out!”.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Honestly the topic was confusing anyhow, I have no idea about a.net office politics and I doubt you do either.

That’s why I’ve been using phrases like “seems to”, “appears to be”, “would seem to be” since, as you pointed out correctly, no one really knows what ideas they have in mind. Everything’s been formed with the highest caution and precision on my behalf. At least I tried to.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Cheers

You don’t want to start the fight over the definition you do not understand… Just to help you get through: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/content, see 1.

Let’s focus on the topic now, thanks.

People who try to use dictionary definitions to back up their arguments about specific areas of interest are often going to be mistaken. If you look up mob in a dictionary it tends to talk about groups of people, but in MMOs you can have a single mob. Dictionaries don’t have context and so should be used in arguments sparingly.

You play content. You wear skins.

In the most general context if you want to consider skins content, you’re free to do so, but I certainly don’t and most of the people I’ve talked to over the years don’t either (this conversation comes up about every six months, so you know).

As others have said, the gem price is decided more by players than Anet. However, it’s part of their job to get people to buy stuff in the shop. If they weren’t doing that, they’re not doing their jobs.

Actually, considering most of the stuff in the shop, I’m not sure they are doing their jobs.

I’m not sure how many other MMOs you’ve played without a monthly sub, but most of them are absolutely godawful when it comes to their cash shop.

I can’t say with certainty that Guild Wars 2 has the best cash shop, but it’s very far from the worst. Some of us has played Lotro. lol

People whose life is surrouned with dictionary definitions usually use them as EVIDENCE to support their argument, and to teach the others how to use some words and expressions correctly. And, skins, are obviously ( a logical conclusion ) a part of the content you see in the game.

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

I’m appalled by the amount of people actually having the guts to say armor isn’t content. When armor is the central focus of most MMORPGs and is the central focus GW2.

I do understand the confusion some people are experiencing since literally no armor sets have been added within the actual game. The game currently is more about achievement grind than anything else, and that’s not cool.

Anyway, I agree with OP. At this point I’m wishing GW2 had a monthly subscription fee, maybe this way we’d end up with something more enjoyable.

It’s completely true they’ve gone the road of quantity over quality, it’s all about “look at all these new shallow updates we’re dishing out!”.

That’s precisely what I’m talking about. The living world content has become somewhat inferior to what the devs are saying, i.e. “it’s amazing” etc. etc.

Hope it’s going to change sometime soon. Possibly, they are working on something huge as noted in this topic: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1pyy4q/february_2014_content_already_in_the_works/

Best regards

New content and politics

rizzo.1079

Of course they’re going to say it’s amazing. They’re not going to say “Here’s our mediocre content for the month, go ahead and ‘enjoy’ it or whatever, we don’t care”

New content and politics

Corpus Christi.2057

Of course they’re going to say it’s amazing. They’re not going to say “Here’s our mediocre content for the month, go ahead and ‘enjoy’ it or whatever, we don’t care”

Haha, obviously.:P At least they started listening to our suggestions regarding different classes, which actually shows a step away from their ’we’re doing great" towards “we want to improve” attitude.