New dailies don't seem to accomplish goals...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

Seems like the point of dailies is to get you logged in and give you a ‘seed’ of ideas of what you might want to do with your guild and friends, right? A lot of the new categories are interesting, but now there’s even LESS freedom to do what you want to do.

Realistically, a guild should be able to get together and do a couple things and finish the dailies…or you should be able to do them yourself in about 30 (or so) minutes if your guild is inactive or while you wait for something to come on? It should be things you want to do anyway, but might change up slightly (like do a particular dungeon, or have WvW night)…

But now, seems like we’re off to Kryta to kill 40 random mobs for no reason…or trying to scrounge up 5 more things to make in the mystic forge when we just dumped all that stuff yesterday. This actually discourages people because instead of doing WvW or a dungeon with their guild they say “Well, I have to finish my dailies instead…”

Posted by: Xorcerox.4807

Xorcerox.4807

The daily tasks do change… e.g. I liked the costume brawl task, because it was so fast. I think it was one of the fastest daily ever. It only took me 10 min to do 5 daily tasks. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily/Research

Leader of Death Is Energy[DIE]

Zosk.5609

That’s nice for you, but honestly it shows an issue? Shouldn’t they be relatively consistent? And in my dreams, you look at the dailies and decide what you or your guild will do that night partially based on them, completing them doing things you mostly want to do anyway.

If they are eating up enough time and effort that they discourage people from doing things with their guild or WvW (as almost everybody needs laurels and coins and it’s the only real way to get them…). I say that’s a problem…

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I think the point of the ‘kill 40 Krytan baddies’ dailies is to get 80’s out of Orr and into other areas of the world. You head to a Krytan zone you don’t have 100% on and start killing. Then you come across a few others doing the same thing, a DE pops up, you all join in, kill a Veteran, finish that heart quest nearby while you’re there and boom…you’ve just immersed yourself in the game and community, broken up the monotany of farming Orr, and gotten something in return for your troubles. And you’ve also managed to make some headway toward other daily achievements and map completion.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

It would be cool if they had one day a month where there was an amnesty/truce in the WvWvW maps, and made part of the daily ‘complete WvWvW eternal battlegrounds map’. It would introduce lot of PvE players into the WvWvW map for maybe the first time, in a very fun setting.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

(edited by Midnightjade.3520)

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I don’t think anyone anywhere has ever declined an invitation to a guild event in WvW or a dungeon because they “have to do the daily”, unless they don’t enjoy those activities to begin with.

The great thing about the dailies is that you don’t need your guild to get them knocked out. I do them every day, it’s the first thing I do when I log on, I’ve never done them with my guild nor would I ask my guild to waste their time doing them with me.

I want to understand where you are coming from, but I’m just not seeing the issue. I’d rather have the option of going to kill 40 things in Kryta than have to kill stuff underwater, and I’d rather have the option to help with a personal story or do a dungeon instead of harvesting or crafting if I in fact do want to do something in a group.

It just seems as if there is less freedom because there are now more options that you don’t like, while I don’t think they took any of the old ones out.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Zosk.5609

I think the point of the ‘kill 40 Krytan baddies’ dailies is to get 80’s out of Orr and into other areas of the world. You head to a Krytan zone you don’t have 100% on and start killing. Then you come across a few others doing the same thing, a DE pops up, you all join in, kill a Veteran, finish that heart quest nearby while you’re there and boom…you’ve just immersed yourself in the game and community, broken up the monotany of farming Orr, and gotten something in return for your troubles. And you’ve also managed to make some headway toward other daily achievements and map completion.

I don’t think dragging people to zones, whether with new dailies, world bosses, or with guild quests is going to help significantly with keeping the entire low-level world populated and events busy. Nor do I think that should be the purpose of the daily…I think it should be an incentive for people to log in, see what their guild is doing, and act as a ‘starter’ for their activities for however many hours they care to play that day.

Zosk.5609

I don’t think anyone anywhere has ever declined an invitation to a guild event in WvW or a dungeon because they “have to do the daily”, unless they don’t enjoy those activities to begin with.

The great thing about the dailies is that you don’t need your guild to get them knocked out. I do them every day, it’s the first thing I do when I log on, I’ve never done them with my guild nor would I ask my guild to waste their time doing them with me.

I want to understand where you are coming from, but I’m just not seeing the issue. I’d rather have the option of going to kill 40 things in Kryta than have to kill stuff underwater, and I’d rather have the option to help with a personal story or do a dungeon instead of harvesting or crafting if I in fact do want to do something in a group.

It just seems as if there is less freedom because there are now more options that you don’t like, while I don’t think they took any of the old ones out.

You’re wrong about declining doing other things. People who have a limited time to play surely quite often value the coin and laurel over random dungeons or the well…next to zero rewards in WvW.

It isn’t at all about like vs not-like….it is about this being a ‘did the player login and participate in the world today’ test….and how many of these send people off to do inconsequential things instead of things that build communities. (Events, Dungeons, WvW).

For an example, if your guild has WvW night, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to complete the daily out there or come very close… I’m not saying old system vs new system…I’m saying the new system is mostly a wash and they could do SO MUCH BETTER.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I don’t think dragging people to zones, whether with new dailies, world bosses, or with guild quests is going to help significantly with keeping the entire low-level world populated and events busy. Nor do I think that should be the purpose of the daily…I think it should be an incentive for people to log in, see what their guild is doing, and act as a ‘starter’ for their activities for however many hours they care to play that day.

Dailies don’t drag you to zones. They offer an incentive to play there. You have the option. And I think it will help the low-level zone population; last night while playing some of my guildies were chatting about being in Kryta killing things, who wants to come?, etc. Dailies are designed to be daily tasks to complete that will springboard further play, not force guild play necessarily (until they create guild daily achievements), but like you said act as a ‘starter’ for their activities. I think the reason the recent ‘kill x baddies in zone y’ dailies were added was specifically to spread the population around the map more. Instead of killing 40 Risen, you have to kill 40 of something else in the Shivers…and may as well play with those that are in the area to do the same. It doesn’t force anyone, but it’s a nice incentive to leave your monotanous Orr and take in the view of trees or snow…and then cover it in blood.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

Well, admittedly, I like the new system better than I like the options that they came up with. Each day I look through those choices and check the boxes next to the ones I like or find least annoying. I wish I could say I can find five that are truly fun. If there were even more options to choose from, that would be cool. I just don’t want them to force people into dungeons like they did with February’s monthly.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I just don’t want them to force people into dungeons like they did with February’s monthly.

Hey, I really enjoyed that part! It got me back into AC a couple of times, and CoF a few times. Met some nice people and by the end felt like I knew what I was doing. It was fun.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You do realize you only have to do 5 out of the nine and most of them are completable doing other things. Today I did a fractal with teh guild which was good because fractal was one of todays dailies. During that time I also get all my vets killed. Easy as.

Then I went over to Wayfarer Foothills and it literally took me 20 minutes to kill 40 things and a bunch of bunnies. The events spawn so fast near hoelbrak it was ridiculous.

I mean if you want the daily enough, you can run the dungeon and spend 20 minutes finishing the daily.

The other day, I finished most of the daily just running a dungeon also.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I think the goals have changed a bit since the original dailies. The dailies/monthlies/guildies are now the treadmill moved out of FotM and into the open world. If you want the gear with the higher power you do the grind. Maybe if you just call them by their true name, the grindies, you’ll have less of a problem making sense of them in terms of goals.

Zosk.5609

I’m saying what you think are amazing things (I finished most of the daily running a dungeon)…should be the norm, not an exception!

Every day, you should be able to finish (or come close) to finishing the dailies by doing dungeon or two as long as you choose those dungeons intelligently.

Every day, you should be able to finish (or come close) to finishing the dailies by doing WvW if you remain aware of it and seek out the tasks.

Every day, you should be able to finish (or come close) to finishing the dailies by levelling up a character and exploring a zone and doing events.

Posted by: Dantos.1065

Dantos.1065

I would think they would want to get 80s INTO Orr. Right now it seems like, on my server at least, everyone is in Queensdale farming the rapid firing events for monthlies or dalies. I hardly ever see 80s in Orr, except for the 2 base defense areas in Cursed Shores.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You are assuming players need a minder to play the game. I don’t need one and don’t want one.

Make an engaging game that has something for everyone everywhere and then let players decide where and when they want to play. I know this sounds like a foreign concept to some, but it is the way to succeed moving forward.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I would think they would want to get 80s INTO Orr. Right now it seems like, on my server at least, everyone is in Queensdale farming the rapid firing events for monthlies or dalies. I hardly ever see 80s in Orr, except for the 2 base defense areas in Cursed Shores.

I’ve seen plenty of 80’s in Orr lately. They were doing, shockingly enough, the meta events with chests.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

I’m saying what you think are amazing things (I finished most of the daily running a dungeon)…should be the norm, not an exception!

Every day, you should be able to finish (or come close) to finishing the dailies by doing dungeon or two as long as you choose those dungeons intelligently.

Every day, you should be able to finish (or come close) to finishing the dailies by doing WvW if you remain aware of it and seek out the tasks.

Every day, you should be able to finish (or come close) to finishing the dailies by levelling up a character and exploring a zone and doing events.

Not sure what dailies you’re doing, but for the most part that’s exactly how it works. And what’s the big deal if for one of them you have to teleport to another zone to kill 40 mobs?

If you don’t like it, choose another one.

Honestly, people will complain about anything.

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

I really dont see the issue here.

when i login, i pick an activity to play and play it. Usually my dailies are done or very close to done by the time i have got bored with said activity.

I think this problem stems from people loggin on and to dailies only. Thats the only intention and it becomes difficult to pick content that furfills that intention. The point of dailies IS alot like you guys have suggested. Your supposed to do something you wanna do and the daily will eventually come in naturally. IT IS LIKE THAT… Unless your constantly playing mini-games or pure crafting/trading.

For anyone who says it isnt like this. I honestly believe that your thinking about the daily completion too much.

‘Oh crap, gotta do my daily, i will head to queensdale and hope to christ some events are kicking off so i can do this as quickly as possible, coz even though i hate this game i still play it every day, even though i complain about it on the forums.’ Sounding for familiar for anyone?

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

“Well, I have to finish my dailies instead…”

You can do your dailies at any time. I think maybe people are just using it as an excuse not to play with you and your negative nancy attitude.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I think there have been 2 days since the change when I actually had to go out of my way to do any part of the daily. Most of the days I could just do my normal thing and my daily would ding within an hour-1.5 hours after it reset.

Posted by: Kingfisher.7213

Kingfisher.7213

Seems like the point of dailies is to get you logged in and give you a ‘seed’ of ideas of what you might want to do with your guild and friends, right?

…This actually discourages people because instead of doing WvW or a dungeon with their guild they say “Well, I have to finish my dailies instead…”

Dailies are designed so they could be completed solo.

However, you are free to group up with guild members at any time to complete the dailies.

If you want group activities that encourage guild play, ArenaNet added Guild Missions for that specific purpose. I don’t know if it will grow to include SPvP/WvWvW options, but right now it is PvE centric:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/leah-rivera-on-new-guild-missions/

“Our team’s primary goal was to create a solid foundation to support PvE guild play. We wanted to create a feature that provided guild members with fun things to do together now, and could be expanded to support new styles of content in the future. To do that, we’ve created a system with three key features: guild missions, guild merits and an expanded unlock system.”

Now if you mean the dailies don’t feel like they accomplish anything, because they are random activities, I would agree with you.

In other MMO’s, dailies are often tied to some faction, where you are performing activities which further their cause.

They benefit from your help, and you benefit from the reputation you gain from them (allowing you to buy gear, mounts, etc).

A player’s desire to help a faction makes them willing to play in a specific area doing specific things.

We might not have the same sense of accomplishment which comes from doing our dailies, but it is a tradeoff for having the ability to accomplish the dailies from our own chosen style of play.

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

I don’t understand what you are complaining about.
This describes the dailies perfectly. I can easily complete the daily in a short amount of time by doing something like PvP, WvW, or just wandering about in a zone looking for things to do. If you do not like the daily, then don’t do it. It’s an option, not a mandatory point. I think you’re complaining just for the sake of complaining; as there is nothing wrong with dailies. I’ve yet to have ANY trouble with one, and hell, I’m actually almost done with my monthly by doing my normal stuff. I say that’s pretty nice.

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

The new dailies are fine with me. There is usually only one of the 5 that I need to do anything special to achieve, and so far it hasn’t been anything difficult. Many players like to be rewarded for their efforts, and if you don’t want/need the karma or laurel then just don’t do them. It isn’t like you lose 10 percent of your gold if you don’t. This is a video game, you do tasks either because you enjoy doing them or enjoy the rewards you get for doing them. In the end, it is only a recreational activity.

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i like the new dailies. they make me stop in places and look at events in action. some events i never knew had existed, or lead to other places with veterans or whatnot.

4 days to do monthlies, and most of the events were from the Flame & Frost stuff going on in Ascalon and The Shiverpeaks. i rediscovered the wack-a-mole game and spent some time there trying to get a high score (if one exists).

i did not like the crafting portion of the game when i first started playing. the first round of dailies before patch got me to refine ingots and wood planks. with this new daily system, for instance, one of the tiers was to craft masterwork (green items). that was enjoyable, and didn’t really dent my in game budget any. now i am working on crafting a character of mine to lv80 before they set foot on the first event/quest.

kill dailies (kill 40 of something) gets me to stop and fight things while i run around to waypoints or going to dungeon locations. i now take some time in the designated areas, more than before.

finished the monthly in 4 days (because of the daily completion, 4/4), with the other 3 done by the 3rd day.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

20 minutes a day to get a free Laurel and Karma, I feel like I accomplish something.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Alcevrous.3810

Alcevrous.3810

I have to voice my agreement with the OP here. These new dailies are quite annoying. The greatest thing that drew me into GW2 was the idea that ANet gave you the foundation and you played how you wanted. That seemed to be the matra of the team. However, these new dailies don’t adhere to that ideology. Before I could pick a direction and run and finish my dailies while I played doing what I’d like; now it seems the small window of time I’m afforded lately is spent doing the daily. Even in WvW, with the old daily set, you could finish the daily with just an hour or so of WvWing [given you’re in an active WvW server, I’m sure].

I like the idea, getting players to travel around maps and see new things, but the fact that Coins and Laurels are attached to them makes them more like a chore than a nice thing to have; the kind of thing that eventually drove me from games like WoW. I feel that if Laurels were obtainable through some other means, I’d feel less like daily completion being a compulsion, and more another means to achieve a goal.

(edited by Alcevrous.3810)