New expansion, our items become outdated?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Desorbed.6394

Desorbed.6394

Hi everyone

Note this is not a negative/complaining post, just wondering what you’re opinions and views are on this matter.

I don’t know if it has a proper name/term for it or not, but the whole thought of a-net replacing our hard-earnt armour/weapon/accessories that we currently wear for new, upgrade stats when the new expansion comes out….. kind of frustrates and discourages me.

Arena-net has been awesome in keeping us busy and always releasing new material, and I understand that introducing stronger/new stats into the game keeps us busy and gives us something to do, but I feel as if there has been a lot of gold, effort and time wasted when these items are suddenly going to become obsolete and outdated.

Of course, I know there’s nothing that can be done about it and I’m sure most people like this happening to a certain extent, but it would always be nice if A-net had some kind of reward or recognition system, SOMETHING so that I didn’t feel that I just had a lot of my ‘in-game value’ (if you know what I mean) decreased once a new expansion comes out.

What are your views on this? If anyone has any advantages they would like to share on this matter, that would be awesome, I’d love to have a more positive outlook on this process.

Thanks for your time.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Of course this “concern” is valid, only if they actually increase the level cap and add higher stat items with an expansion.

But anyway, if that happens, aside from causing a huge outcry, the solution is simple and already exists in the game: Transmutation Stones.
Since the “hard to get” gear only has better looks / more awesome skins, no stat difference, you will keep your awesome looking weapon/armor that you spent so much creating, over your newly acquired expansion items that have better stats. Problems solved.

Posted by: Cerpin.7839

Cerpin.7839

Welcome to MMO’s.

Desorbed.6394

So there’s a possibility there may not be a level cap in the next expansion? Sorry that’s a whole other question lol… What about the accessories? The runes and jewels? The exotic rings and stuff that took me a long time to get for my three 80’s (i feel sorry for people with their 8 80’s)… They’ll become obsolete if there is a new level cap.

Desorbed.6394

Welcome to MMO’s.

Haha. That’s actually why I quit WoW, I got very mad at how much of my limited time and effort had gone down the drain after all the expansions. Was maybe thinking GW2 would be different.

maddoctor.2738

So there’s a possibility there may not be a level cap in the next expansion? Sorry that’s a whole other question lol… What about the accessories? The runes and jewels? The exotic rings and stuff that took me a long time to get for my three 80’s (i feel sorry for people with their 8 80’s)… They’ll become obsolete if there is a new level cap.

There is no “confirmed” level cap increase for an expansion. There is no “yes” or “no” answer yet, I guess it will be a long time until we get an expansion.

Runes and jewels will probably be obsolete, they already are in Ascended items because they don’t have upgrade slots, they have infusion slots. There is a good possibility that Ascended Armor won’t have upgrade slots (for runes) and instead have infusion slots, same with weapons and sigil slots. Maybe they haven’t released Ascended Weapons/Armor yet because they haven’t figured out what to do with those, who knows.

Exotic accessories are already getting obsolete with the advent of Ascended gear. But they aren’t expensive, compared to Unique Weapons they cost next to nothing, Triforge excluded, so the biggest issue/gold drain, if they increase the cap, is already taken care off (transmutation stones)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I wan’t new maps, new stories, new skins, new classes even maby but I would maby play less or even quit GW2 if they increased level cap or/and have new better gear.

I like how all GW1 expansions worked, something like that works very good.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Desorbed.6394

I wan’t new maps, new stories, new skins, new classes even maby but I would maby play less or even quit GW2 if they increased level cap or/and have new better gear.

I like how all GW1 expansions worked, something like that works very good.

Yeah, that would be cool. I don’t know if expansions without level caps would solve the effort/gold/time wastage, but what you’ve wrote sounds nice.

Desorbed.6394

There is no “confirmed” level cap increase for an expansion. There is no “yes” or “no” answer yet, I guess it will be a long time until we get an expansion.

Runes and jewels will probably be obsolete, they already are in Ascended items because they don’t have upgrade slots, they have infusion slots. There is a good possibility that Ascended Armor won’t have upgrade slots (for runes) and instead have infusion slots, same with weapons and sigil slots. Maybe they haven’t released Ascended Weapons/Armor yet because they haven’t figured out what to do with those, who knows.

Exotic accessories are already getting obsolete with the advent of Ascended gear. But they aren’t expensive, compared to Unique Weapons they cost next to nothing, Triforge excluded, so the biggest issue/gold drain, if they increase the cap, is already taken care off (transmutation stones)

I understand what you’re saying. To be honest though, with three level 80’s it cost me around 45-50G to buy my exotic accessories, runes and jewels (I bought the rest using karma). I don’t care what other people say, that’s a fair sum of gold in my case.

Desorbed.6394

Unless a-net delivered expansions in a way that didn’t cause too much de-value/wastage, I am going to have to accept it either way. Or stop playing. But I love GW2 too much to do that haha.

Desorbed.6394

I understand what you’re saying. To be honest though, with three level 80’s it cost me around 45-50G to buy my exotic accessories, runes and jewels (I bought the rest using karma). I don’t care what other people say, that’s a fair sum of gold in my case.

edit a fair sum of gold -to be wasted-

Posted by: Lizzarruss.8461

Lizzarruss.8461

Honestly, I think they will keep it like Guild Wars 1 , where they never upped the max level from 20 (In GW1 that is).

I also wouldn’t mind if they never added another tier of gear. I’m happy with my stats on my main, and I don’t mind taking my sweet time to get my Ascended Accessories. Once they add Ascended Armour and Weapons (If they do) then of course I’ll go for those in time. But I don’t think they’ll ever make Exotic Armour absolute. It wouldn’t make logical sense, given the time and gold people put into getting their exotic armour. If they do add another tier above Ascended, I think it’ll probably be like Ascended Accessories. Slightly better, but not necessary.

Then again, Anet could always just upgrade our current Exotic gear to whatever new gear type they implement. ;D

I wan’t new maps, new stories, new skins, new classes even maby but I would maby play less or even quit GW2 if they increased level cap or/and have new better gear..

Also this. More stories, skins, and maps please.

Desorbed.6394

Honestly, I think they will keep it like Guild Wars 1 , where they never upped the max level from 20 (In GW1 that is).

I also wouldn’t mind if they never added another tier of gear. I’m happy with my stats on my main, and I don’t mind taking my sweet time to get my Ascended Accessories. Once they add Ascended Armour and Weapons (If they do) then of course I’ll go for those in time. But I don’t think they’ll ever make Exotic Armour absolute. It wouldn’t make logical sense, given the time and gold people put into getting their exotic armour. If they do add another tier above Ascended, I think it’ll probably be like Ascended Accessories. Slightly better, but not necessary.

Then again, Anet could always just upgrade our current Exotic gear to whatever new gear type they implement. ;D

I wan’t new maps, new stories, new skins, new classes even maby but I would maby play less or even quit GW2 if they increased level cap or/and have new better gear..

This made me feel better, thank you Lizzarruss.8461 cough toast cough

Desorbed.6394

Also, if Anet did upgrade us, that would be freakin awesome. But unlikely. But still, there is always hope

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Of course this “concern” is valid, only if they actually increase the level cap and add higher stat items with an expansion.

But anyway, if that happens, aside from causing a huge outcry, the solution is simple and already exists in the game: Transmutation Stones.
Since the “hard to get” gear only has better looks / more awesome skins, no stat difference, you will keep your awesome looking weapon/armor that you spent so much creating, over your newly acquired expansion items that have better stats. Problems solved.

Expansion won’t come before they finish introducing ascended gear. just saying. And those are both hard to get and posess better stats than everything else. Transmutation stones just won’t do there.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

maddoctor.2738

Expansion won’t come before they finish introducing ascended gear. just saying. And those are both hard to get and posess better stats than everything else. Transmutation stones just won’t do there.

I wouldn’t say that Ascended is hard to get, they are fairly easy to get actually. They do have better stats than exotics but when an expansion comes (whenever) you should be able to transmute your hard earned ascended weapon/armor skins to any new tier that comes after it.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Of course they get outdated, they will be with every expansion.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I really don’t them to raise the level cap. 80 is already too many and it just isn’t necessary. The expansions should focus on adding new horizontal content and new zones you can explore while leveling that also provide fun rewards for characters already at the level cap.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I really don’t them to raise the level cap. 80 is already too many and it just isn’t necessary. The expansions should focus on adding new horizontal content and new zones you can explore while leveling that also provide fun rewards for characters already at the level cap.

Agreed, the level is high enough. They themselves said no stand alone content so there is room for what you said. Just lvl 80 toon stuff.

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

Welcome to MMO’s.

Haha. That’s actually why I quit WoW, I got very mad at how much of my limited time and effort had gone down the drain after all the expansions. Was maybe thinking GW2 would be different.

You’re looking at gaming, yes ‘gaming’ in general completely wrong. Its a source of entertainment, nothing more. Sorry to break the news but no matter which game you play or how ever many hours you put into it, it will come to an end at some point. Never mind about expansions, you will come to a point where you will stop playing GW2 altogether and move on to something else. So whats the difference?

As long as you are enjoying the experience while you are playing and are entertained then thats all you need to worry yourself about. This isn’t an opinion, its a fact.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

You mean a tier higher than Ascended? It is possible. The whole reason ArenaNet added ascended gear was because the new playerbase demanded more content and complained that exotic rarity items were “too easy” to achieve in the game. So for the sake of vertical “character progression” they added a new tier of gear only 4 months after the release date of August 25/28.

I wouldn’t find it surprising if the current GW2 playerbase is composed of players mainly from other MMORPG’s and not fans of the first Guild Wars game. If ArenaNet released a new tier of gear with each expansion, I can guarantee that the left over GW1 veterans will drop the game and never, ever come back to it, myself included.

It’s bad enough that ascended gear made it into the game and that someday ascended armor is going to be introduced and I will have to spend real money/huge amounts of gold buying fine transmutation crystals from the gemstore to keep my favorite armor combinations to stay competitive against other players in WvW as well as in PvE dungeons, doing this every expansion.. I rather go back to GW1 and play it again and forget I was involved in GW2.

Just imagine it. “LFM COF PATH ! $$$$$MONEY RUN$$$$$ ASCENDED BERSERKR WARRIORS ONLY PING GEAR ON JOIN”

I guess if Anet wants to shoot themselves on the same wound they shot themselves back in November, releasing another tier of gear in an expansion would be the preferred way to do it.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Welcome to MMO’s.

I agree and Ive created entire threads on this subject concerning GW2. We are being told by pro-ascended, pro-progression, pro-stat grind people, and arenanet, that this is not a gear grind, that they are releasing this stuff ever so slowly. And in a year, when we have all slots ascended…how much time between that point and a new xpac will we have? 3 months? 6? And then it resets, if and when they raise the level cap. Gotta do it all over, slowly over a 1-2 year span.

Im telling you, this is just a dumbed down version of a gear grind, and that it is no different than any other game.

Think of it this way:
-Each ascended slot that is released can be compared to a new raid/tier released in a game such as WoW. It takes almost as long to acquire the piece too, and the stat difference between the ascended piece you have vs the exotic you are replacing is about the same stat different in tiers in WoW.
-When a new XPAC is released in wow, levels are increased and gear is obsolete in hours. You dont think the same won’t happen here?

Arenanet didnt fool me with the “it will be released slowly and the stat difference is so minimal” line…I think of it as what I just stated above. Didnt fool me.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I wouldn’t say that Ascended is hard to get, they are fairly easy to get actually. They do have better stats than exotics but when an expansion comes (whenever) you should be able to transmute your hard earned ascended weapon/armor skins to any new tier that comes after it.

I wouldn’t count on that. They have most definitely not promised it, nor did they said anything about even thinking about eq upgrading besides legendaries.

And as for it not being hard… well, maybe they won’t, but (based on what we have now) even conservative estimates would put getting a whole set at half a year to a year time. For dedicated players – for casuals it would take significantly longer.
So, if a new tier/new level of eq will make it into the game, that is the time we need to expect to regear to get back to the place where we started.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)