New expansion pack... new forums?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

I’m just curious if you ever plan to update your game forums so we can finally move past all of the forum bugs and lack of functionality. A new expansion seems like a great time for a few people to throw a little bit of work in on the side. Just a thought!

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

I’m just curious if you ever plan to update your game forums so we can finally move past all of the forum bugs and lack of functionality. A new expansion seems like a great time for a few people to throw a little bit of work in on the side. Just a thought!

it’s still way too soon for a PoF forum section bruh =/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Although I saw a rumor stating otherwise (not sure where it came from), the official statement is that there are no plans to update the, or change to another, forum. This one provides, according to the statement, some features not found elsewhere, as it was created specifically for Guild Wars 2.

I’m sure, though, a Path of Fire sub-forum is in the works.

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The forums use proprietary software by a firm with which ANet no longer does business. Whatever needs to be done to update them would require replacing the system. Since the forums work and nearly all the bugs can be worked around easily, it seems like a needless expense.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Probably. They’re currently testing Vanilla Forums.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

New forum is in fact happening. Somebody on reddit discovered it yesterday; I think ANet might have caught on and made the page unavailable to the public now, but I still have it open, so here’s a little preview

Looks like they’ve been working on it for a couple months at least.

Attachments:

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, how about that! Might be why they haven’t created the new Path of Fire sub-forum.

Interesting. One can never tell when something that was ‘off the table’ will become not only on the table, but implemented. Makes it difficult to know exactly where things stand.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Be cool if that happens. They might be big enough to do it in-house now.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The posts were dumped from these forums, which could have been done at any time. What they have looks like a demo they threw together within a few hours to test the software.

Attachments:

Andred.1087

The posts were dumped from these forums, which could have been done at any time. What they have looks like a demo they threw together within a few hours to test the software.

There are some test posts as well that are dated from June/July.

But yeah that placeholder is pretty top-notch; I capped that image as well and really need “Okay, let’s do it” to become a meme xD

Attachments:

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

The new forum section for PoF will most likely get into the forums either shortly before the Open Beta Phase of the game, just like they did with HoT, or at the release date of PoF.

But to do it now, only because there has been now its annoucnement out, I think doesn’t make sense now, it would be too rushed…

However, personalyl I think its time for anet to completely replace this outdated unsupported forum software and to change over to a completely new official forum softwate that is up to date with what is possible today and which has finally no stupid annyoing forum posting page bug anymore and which also has actually finaly a god darn WORKING GOOD AND EFFECTIVE SEARCH FUNCTION, which will be used from that day on also as foundation for further expansions, making it easier for them to add new sub forums for expansions and the likes of that ….

Plus a new overworked forum software with fixed problems might help actually eventually, that Anet starts again using their own official forum also as exactly that – an official forum ,where all kinds of officiasl things find their place in, where developers don#t need to permanently flee over to any kind of 3rd party sites like reddit, just so that they can do and discuss there thign,s which belong to be disccused here in the official forum of their game, only because they can’ do certain thigns they can do on reeddit here with this outdated piece of garbage forum software thats full of bugs since the day of release 2012!!!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

They better still have a lore section…

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

The forums use proprietary software by a firm with which ANet no longer does business. Whatever needs to be done to update them would require replacing the system. Since the forums work and nearly all the bugs can be worked around easily, it seems like a needless expense.

It doesn’t have a night mode, which is pathetic in current times.

Andred.1087

Not to worry!

Attachments:

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It doesn’t have an entire host of things that seem basic in 2017. That doesn’t change the economics that (at least as of recently), it wasn’t a good use of limited resources to replace the forums with new software.

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

It doesn’t have an entire host of things that seem basic in 2017. That doesn’t change the economics that (at least as of recently), it wasn’t a good use of limited resources to replace the forums with new software.

limited resources? How many man-hours do you think it takes to change the kittening colors?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

About, time if that link is to be believed.

These forums have long needed an update from the abandonware they utilize.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I’m not sure why any website would waste time and effort adding in a night mode when every web browser available has dozens of them that users can choose from, as well as thousands of custom themes for sites that would likely conflict with ANet’s night mode were they to offer one.

If you want one, get one.

Try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-night-mode

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

For all of those who think that I was talking about a PoF section I was not. I apologize for not being more clear. What Andred mentioned is exactly what I was talking about and if this is true I think it is fantastic! I shouldn’t let you get my hopes up Andred! Gaile… perhaps a tiny little confirmation on this? You know you want to!

New forum is in fact happening. Somebody on reddit discovered it yesterday;

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

Andred.1087

For all of those who think that I was talking about a PoF section I was not. I apologize for not being more clear. What Andred mentioned is exactly what I was talking about and if this is true I think it is fantastic! I shouldn’t let you get my hopes up Andred! Gaile… perhaps a tiny little confirmation on this? You know you want to!

New forum is in fact happening. Somebody on reddit discovered it yesterday;

Well, I suppose I would have been more prudent to say “New forum appears to be happening or was happening at some point recently” but it is indeed on the guildwars2.com domain, so I would think the only way it’s not happening is if they abandoned it.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Not to worry!

Nice, thanks!!