New patch inbound but still dissatisfying

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sablin.8071

Sablin.8071

Yes even with some new content and fairly significant changes to the game I’m pretty disillusioned with GW2 at the moment. I’ve played GW2 since beta but I’m not bored for the same reasons as I became bored with other games (MMOs). It’s worse than that – I’ve become disillusioned, and I know I’m not alone going off comments in /map and the guilds I am a member of. There are a few reasons:

1) Basically GW has devolving into little more than farming.

I am on one of the most populated servers and we can barely get 12 people to do world events (dragons) anymore. If it’s not champion farming it is live event farming. I know world events are not as efficient and the returns are not as good as farming is NOT FUN. The farm for legendary mats was excruciating but that was entirely optional, and it was for the highest level item in the game, so was also understandable to a point (still not worth it IMHO). Correct me if I am wrong but I recall farming/grinding being one of the most attractive selling points about GW2 before its release. I know due to commercial decisions a number of concepts were ‘betrayed’ but up until recently farming has not been a major annoyance (-lets face it CoF P1 was discretionary too and the game was never going to allow you to get rich quick or without ALOT of work or a lucky drop).

2) Poor event design

Ignoring bugs, with the current events, they are directly related to the farming problem. I have the remainder of today to try and repel two more invasions to get the 25 APs for that achievement but I know its not going to happen – I have been trying for about 5 days and I have only been involved in 1 successful invasion repulsion; I don’t consider myself hardcore as I have a fulltime job but I’m no casual either – I play everyday for at least 5 hours. But the majority of people just want to farm, so even if you have a good number of people who want to do the event, you can’t because the farmers hold you back. Given an invasion lasts 45mins, of my 5 hours, that’s a fair chunk of time lost if it results in a fail, which it almost always does.
(I suspect the last event was just to all-but force ppl to buy extra bag/bank slots)

The events themselves have been oriented towards farming and zergs – the pavilion, the invasions.

Speaking of the Pavilion, while the gauntlet was a solo affair, it was yet another exercise in frustration with most fights barely offering a challenge but a handful being largely gimmick, and class, dependant. It seems obvious to me that certain classes had much better chances, especially factoring in gambits. I made the unfortunate mistake of not completing the entire gauntlet early so by the time I came back to it, it had been ‘fixed’ – certain multiple gambit fights I found impossible as, for example, the behaviour of Sure-Shot was different to what was in the guides and when I did manage to close in, with frailty, you would receive a 21K kick. As a result I’ve got a couple of hundred of unused entry tickets…yeah I’m going to really subject myself to that…no thanks.

In fact the golden rule of this game seems to be exploit/take advantage early until its ‘fixed’, which means either rewards are nerfed or the content is made harder often to the point it becomes unenjoyable.

3) Grinding

I thought achievement point rewards were a great idea however the limited time to complete events means that unless you don’t have a job, life, whatever, you are all-but compelled to concentrate on this content in order to get the substantial achievement points on offer. Chasing achieves, not in my own time, is simply not fun and dictates how I have to play to the game which is probably the biggest turn off. I have give up doing certain things, some of which I enjoy, in order to complete events/achieves of limited duration…because frankly, that’s what other people are doing and I cant do some content alone.

As a result of this im looking at other games ive bought but not yet touched. I want to keep playing GW2, I enjoyed it, but not anymore, and with the ascended gear-treadmill grind about to start I am repelled at the thought of arming my level 80 characters. It is painful to invest in more than one character in GW2 yet more grind is being injected into the game.

4) Class balance
Still ppffftt

A few other points of annoyance:
*Communication and information is underwhelming. You have to do a lot of research just to find out what the heck is going on with the game. I don’t use reddit and I wont so if I don’t here it in chat in LA or a guildee mentions it, I don’t know about it.

*Guild Challenges – do they scale???

*Legendaries should be unlocked per account just like skins from achievement tiers or at least made account bound.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Diamandis.7483

Diamandis.7483

You made to many good points and I strongly resonate with most of what you have said =/ just hope players like us will come out on top in the long run otherwise I can’t say there is much of a reason to continue playing like this

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

Exactly OP…it seems like 90% of the content you do, whether grouped or solo is…farming.
Farming to farm more efficiently, to get a shiny skin to continue farming to work toward that next shiny skin so you can show off while….farming.

I don’t know what the solution is, but either people are in denial about what they’re doing and rationalize it as “fun”, or they’ve settled into a mindset that this is what Guild Wars 2 is, and should be, which is even more depressing.

Farming in any shape or form should not be the basis of your game, nor what the majority of the time spent you do ingame should be. In Rift, I remember people being turned off by bots or certain players who seemed to be on 24/7 just mindlessly killing things to maximise profit, and now it’s like they’ve built a game just for that purpose.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I agree completely, this Live story with the crown pavilion, the invations and giving special bag drops to champions has turned the game into a massive farm/grind.

The only thing my friend and I have been doing the last week or so I going around doing jump puzzles for the achvments, and now the monthly. And we dont even like jump puzzles, but it takes too longer to get a group to do any thing else. At least we are working toward a them crystal skins.
We even stopped going to dragons because no one is ever there.

I really hope after this livestory comes to a close that the crown pavilion, invations and the champ loot bags are all removed from the game, never to be seen again. Wishful thinking right?
Its my understanding that the champion loot bags will have a chance to give you the ascended crafting mats. And here I thought the farming was bad now, after the patch its going to be horrable.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s been farming for one month. Before that we had mini games, and the Zephyrites. I agree, this farming stuff is not the game I want to play. I liked the patch before the Queen’s Jubilee a whole lot more.

But I won’t be taking a break anytime soon, because I still won’t farm unless I want to. I won’t let the actions of a few influence how I spend my game time.

Posted by: Iplaytokill.1674

Iplaytokill.1674

New patch tomorrow, with guaranteed bs updates to PVP.

But no worries, Rome II is updating atm. Moving on to better games with Devs who actually care. And it hurts me to say it because I love ANet and GW to no end. But atm GW2 is just.. disappointing.

At PAX, the Dev response.. “I don’t really know much about PVP..”

:(

Posted by: Vamistle.9710

Vamistle.9710

I have to admit i love the farming. The people who are farming are also people who got their achievements done at the start, so farming is the only thing they are getting out of these events now. If there wasn’t any farming they wouldn’t go to the invasion areas and you can sit there happy that there are no farmers but you also wont have enough people to finish the event anyway. You can’t have you cake and eat it to.

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

I have to admit i love the farming. The people who are farming are also people who got their achievements done at the start, so farming is the only thing they are getting out of these events now. If there wasn’t any farming they wouldn’t go to the invasion areas and you can sit there happy that there are no farmers but you also wont have enough people to finish the event anyway. You can’t have you cake and eat it to.

I dont think it was a dig at farmers as such, but more at the content been designed to be farmed like crazy..

Posted by: Nialiss.6459

Nialiss.6459

Farming in and of itself isn’t the problem, it’s when there’s really nothing else to do but farm to get shiny gear and farm to get more shiny gear which you do to show off while farming like Laundry.5120 said. It’s kind of a purposeless grind that’s made worse from diminishing returns because it basically meant that there are few places you can actually farm and farming will take longer.

In GW1 I farmed a decent amount but, it was for a purpose. In fact, just today I farmed some granite to help me get some pcons so I can do some uwsc (yes, I know it isn’t needed but I like to run with them). The point is that I’m farming to get things that I want/ need to do something I actually like doing.

GW2 lacks this. There isn’t anything particularly fun or interesting to do in the “end game.” 5 man dungeons, which require no coordination other than hacking and slashing at health sponges, simply don’t cut it and WvW is just zurging. I’d love to see some end game content with maybe 10+ man dungeons witch might require some party members to have a more tanky set-up or support set-up. At the moment all there is, is 100% pure zerker dps which is worse than the “trinity” ever was or could be.

Don’t even get me started on SPvP.

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

I’d love to see some end game content with maybe 10+ man dungeons
witch might require some party members to have a more tanky set-up or support set-up. At the moment all there is, is 100% pure zerker dps which is worse than the “trinity” ever was or could be.

You basically have this is higher end fractals tbh.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

New patch tomorrow, with guaranteed bs updates to PVP.

But no worries, Rome II is updating atm. Moving on to better games with Devs who actually care. And it hurts me to say it because I love ANet and GW to no end. But atm GW2 is just.. disappointing.

At PAX, the Dev response.. “I don’t really know much about PVP..”

:(

A dev crying at pax more or less proves they really, really care a lot about the game they’re making.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Vetrie.7804

Vetrie.7804

I enjoy GW2 more and more. It is improving alot.
But I think that GW2 lacks some challenging content. Like dungeons that actually take alot of orientation + skill and you get a NON RNG reward for it or raid bosses ( I am soo happy that Taco is getting a remake ). Or they should do some kind of remake with GW1 UW/ FoW where mobs drop Ectos and t6 mats ( without too much of RNG).
Imo GW2 will eventually get there.

Just dont cry about grind …. Every MMO has it. W/o grind MMO lacks smth.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I agree with the OP basically. I know all games have grind but it’s senseless grind to the point that grind has become the goal rather than the method. That’s what makes GW2 different and dead boring in my view.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Oh you’re quitting on patch day?
Well that makes you super special doesn’t it.

… you’ll come back. They always do.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Gehenna.3625

Oh you’re quitting on patch day?
Well that makes you super special doesn’t it.

… you’ll come back. They always do.

Yawn….keep dreaming. Nothing for you to see here.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

My thoughts exactly.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

If you take a break now, you’ll be so far behind the gear grind that it will take you weeks/months to catch up when you do come back…

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So.. during the Bazaar month people complained about it only being mini-games and wanted something different.
Now this month we have had something different and then people complain about it being only farming.

I wonder what next month will be complained about..
No matter what they release people will always complain about it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gehenna.3625

So.. during the Bazaar month people complained about it only being mini-games and wanted something different.
Now this month we have had something different and then people complain about it being only farming.

I wonder what next month will be complained about..
No matter what they release people will always complain about it.

That’s one of the downfalls of temporary content and biweekly updates.

It seems smarter to give people time to get over their anger but Anet prefers to kitten people off biweekly.