New player- class question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pancake.8346

Pancake.8346

Hi everyone, Being new to guildwars im not sure what to do about picking a class. id like to get 1 that is needed often enough that people will want me in their groups. im not really picky with what i play. i would like a class that can do pvp and raids at a decent level.
thank you!

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Warrior berzerker gear charr blood legion phalanx strenght ftw

Acnologia.6934

If you are new just play what you find fun. no need to rush to the endgame. Enjoy the journey

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

From what I have heard Guardian, Thief and Engi aren’t allowed into raid parties.

Acnologia.6934

Whaaa engi???? Why? First time i heard that… thief yeah they are hated by all. But engi too now???

Pancake.8346

Warrior berzerker gear charr blood legion phalanx strenght ftw

is berserk like the special build for warrior? i only understood that part of what you wrote XD lost me on gear charr blood legion

Acnologia.6934

Ahaha well berzerker is the best warrior gear type for your equipment. Phalanx strenght is the raid/dungeon/meta event build for the warrior. you can check it online. Charr blood legion is the master race of the game. But warrior is easy to play hard to master. As i said if you are new choose your character class that is the most funny to play and master it. If you play something not fun you’ll never realt master it. Coff-i’m necro master everybody hates me but i kill them all-coff

warrior is loved by everyone instead… my two characters Sunless the reaper and Aryu the commander gate eachother lol

(edited by Acnologia.6934)

Pancake.8346

Ahaha well berzerker is the best warrior gear type for your equipment. Phalanx strenght is the raid/dungeon/meta event build for the warrior. you can check it online. Charr blood legion is the master race of the game. But warrior is easy to play hard to master. As i said if you are new choose your character class that is the most funny to play and master it. If you play something not fun you’ll never realt master it. Coff-i’m necro master everybody hates me but i kill them all-coff

warrior is loved by everyone instead… my two characters Sunless the reaper and Aryu the commander gate eachother lol

ahh ok thank you!

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Whaaa engi???? Why? First time i heard that… thief yeah they are hated by all. But engi too now???

Engi has currently strongest proven condi damage of all classes and a party wide condi damage buff. So I doubt engies would get the boot in a raid squad. Unless the leader’s a moron.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Engi has currently strongest proven condi damage of all classes and a party wide condi damage buff. So I doubt engies would get the boot in a raid squad. Unless the leader’s a moron.

I always see raiders mention needing a condi engi or a real good condi class. So I would question the authenticity of this previous post.

From what I have heard Guardian, Thief and Engi aren’t allowed into raid parties.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Dionosio.5168

Dionosio.5168

I always see raiders mention needing a condi engi or a real good condi class. So I would question the authenticity of this previous post.

Engi is indeed in a good position right now for what concerns raids. Only problem is, its rotation is a little more difficult than other classes like condi ranger, to example.

Anyway, about the question of the op: I’d say that ranger is probably a good choice, since it’s widely used in both spvp, wvw and pve. In raids for example condi ranger and druid healer (druid is a specialization of ranger) are both frequently used – and at least 1 or 2 druids are almost mandatory in raids.

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

That is totally a thing from a year ago. Those are 3 of the 4 DPS classes you really want in a raid. Thief and Guard for power DPS, for condi you want ranger and engi. (ele is still the best if the player is good, but good ele players are truly rare)

On another note chronos(mesmer), druids(ranger) and warriors are all wanted for raids, and they are all great classes for pvp as well. Revenant and necromancer are in a bad place atm in pve, in pvp they are good enough when played well. Revenant however is the most difficult to play class atm so you won’t hear much hype when revving in pvp.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Since you’re new, just try a few that sound good. It’s hard to pick a “wrong” class, really. “The best” class will vary by opinion and currently accepted meta, but nothing is really an automatic outcast.

At any level, you can go directly into the PvP lobby where everything is unlocked for you. Test stuff to find out what you like, or have a look at a site like metabattle to get some build ideas and test those. In PvP, everyone is on even footing and PvP build/gear is common to all.

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Warrior Viper gear charr blood legion phalanx strenght ftw

There, fixed that for you. I’d go farther about female human meta or sylvari take root, but eh.

Acnologia.6934

There, fixed that for you. I’d go farther about female human meta or sylvari take root, but eh.

For a new player,? I don’t think a new player can afford a full asc viper set :P
edit:or even a exo one

(edited by Acnologia.6934)

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

For a new player,? I don’t think a new player can afford a full asc viper set :P
edit:or even a exo one

We’re also looking at raids here, which a new player shouldn’t be worrying about to start with either. For getting into groups of all kinds except raids, playing whatever is the best way. If you’re looking at getting into raids, viper warrior is the type of warrior you’d want to make. Though making a ranger and being viper is probably better because you can run both condi ranger for dps or condi druid to help heal a bit and make a super cheap exotic magi set for actual healing because ascended for healing is not really needed.

Acnologia.6934

Yeah but because he’s new a berz build is better. Once he’s in raids he can / have the money for a viper

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Iron Legion’s better than Blood.